Networks for WordPress plugin set up

Hi guys I need some help in setting up the Networks for WordPress plugin. Made a brand new multisite installation (www.website.nl/newsite), read all there is to read about the plugin (not much), activated the plugin and moved the required php file to mu-plugins. I am only able to network activate it (which is not the idea I think), it does not show in sites plugin list.

When I do activate it through network nothing happens. Help is much appreciated! Nick

• Nick vd Veerdonk
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Update:

Decided to give it one more go and have the plugin network installed and showing! Made a new network (droomdagboek-netwerk) but any new sites (‘testnetwerk’:wink: added to this network get filed under the main website, without /droomdagboek-netwerk/ before it. I suspect changes to dns or database are in order? Stuck again… Added the ‘verifying network’ report.

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey there.

Looks like the red errors will need addressing “This may prevent access to the site”.

I’m not overly familiar with the network plugin unfortunately.

but any new sites (‘testnetwerk’:wink: added to this network get filed under the main website, without /droomdagboek-netwerk/ before it.

Can you show me some screenshots of what is or is not happening?

Also check the path and the meta values as mentioned in those red messages.

Thanks.

• Nick vd Veerdonk

I quess what it comes down to is that I don’t know how to do this:

1) DNS should resolve each desired domain to your web server.

2) Configure your web server to direct requests for each desired domain to the same site (e.g. via ServerAlias directives or Host Headers)

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

I am currently in contact with the plugin support, will be sure to post my findings here.

Excellent, let me know how that goes.

1. Reading that it sounds like it just means get the domains on your server, either through name servers (then add to cPanel) or A record/

2. This generally means that when you enter the domain (any domain) it should load your WordPress site.

The plugin can then route it as required.

Or at least that’s how our Domain Mapping and Multi-domains works.

Anyway, let me know how you go.

Take care.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Nick,

This plugin runs my several networks that I have and everyone one of them operates flawlessly.

The first mistake here is that it appears that you are trying to put it into a sub directory and that is the wrong answer and my guess the reason for the configuration errors you are receiving.

Add it to a real domain in the root folder installation and then check it out and I bet you will see it rock n rolls.

Please advise if this is indeed the case that you are trying to configure it in a sub folder?

Cheers, Joe

• Nick vd Veerdonk

Good news is that new sites to network touchingbodhi actually get assigned to it! They don’t show up under the ‘assign sites to’ function though. Furthermore the network does show up under ‘networks’ but doesn’t have network assigned to it when visiting the admin, and the plugins can be activated and not ‘network activated…

You were right Joe, this plugin is going to be so cool when I figure it out!

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Nick and Tim,

@tim hey Partner this plugin does rock and I have it right now controlling many sites on several installations. I believe Kimberly and PC are also using it at my recommendation and many members here on WPMU Dev. You just do not see tickets about it because it works so well – the hardest part is to get the concept of how it works and once you have that it is nothing but pure fun and rock n roll.

@nick once you get the main installation rocking making networks of networks just create a network or sub domains or whatever. And for domains just park them on your server – no domain mapping needed or anything. Of course the name servers do need to be set to the name servers of the host as normal with all parking and you can indeed use “A” records if you choose.

But by parking them you can add email and many other server side functions as well :slight_smile: How many of these networks out there using traditional domain mapping and “A” records can claim that? NONE!

I admit that I have never tried this plugin on a CDN, but that is not because of the plugin or whatever, it is because I am against, which in my opinion are part of the sell stuff BS plan, CDN’s, Server side caching, the false network computing that some sales gimmick writer named “cloud computing” (which is indeed just network computing and internet) no magic there and the only cloud is the cloud of BS being pulled over consumers eyes who believe that horse puckey.

I do believe in server side compression using powerful crushing processors that slam the pages and data down to size and incorporate the end users computer – you heard that right – using browser caching and power on the end users machine with compression indeed incorporates the end users machine into the network exponentially increasing the power as more computers join into the network.

Therefore the servers can serve more pages faster using less bandwidth on both ends and everything just flies right along – ask anyone who hosts with me – it is performance like they have never experienced before and in spite of those trying to sell all that other BS.

It is logical, it kicks butt, and it works. The end users browser requests the page, the server processors compress it and shoots it across the network allowing the power of the end users machine and browser to decompress and cache the pages, images, etc. effectively adding it into the network.

No gimmicks, no fluff, and certainly no BS.

Did I mention due to compression it also uses less bandwidth on both ends?

Thanks guys for putting up with my tech rant and you know where to find me – right here at home on WPMU DEV!

Have a GREAT weekend!

Cheers, Joe

• Nick vd Veerdonk

Joe, WOW. Thank you so much for your time and effort. Where do I start? First of all the compression tip, I did a search on google and found:

http://www.ergotaxio.net/2012/09/06/speed-up-server-side-compression/

Basicly added the code in the bottom of the post to .htaccess and although I’ve already tweaked the pagespeed (including cdn) it did magic to my website, check out pagespeedtest rapports. Mind you the page tested is packed with plugins, 5 images AND a Twitter widget!) I’m all eyes on further elaboration!

• Nick vd Veerdonk

As for the Networks for WordPress plugin I am starting to feel a little embarrest about taking up so much of your time and wonder if you’d like to check out my installation yourself, I’d send you my login codes. It may have something to do with this:

Of course the name servers do need to be set to the name servers of the host as normal with all parking and you can indeed use “A” records if you choose.

since I haven’t made any changes in dns, the domains are just parked on my server.

Joe, I really appreciate your help man! And although it doesn’t look like your in need of any points (Guru!) I’d like to give them anyway.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Nick,

The points are certainly appreciated and valued, thank you.

I have thought about this a bit to be a bit more clear on how the network should be configured.

We first have the main domain and installation in which out of the box for the main domain –> sub sites can be created and no further action is necessary.

Additional domains/TLD’s to be added to the network can be configured in using one of two methods.

The “A” record in which the domain needs an “A” record pointed at the installations DEDICATED IP, and then add the domain to the network in the network admin dashboard –> Sites –> Networks

But it is my opinion that best practice would be parking the domain within/to the main domain and changing the domains registrar records name servers to be those of the main domains name servers which indeed should be the applicable name servers for the applicable host.

I hope this clarifies the TLD arrangement.

Cheers, Joe

• Nick vd Veerdonk

Hi Joe thanks for your extended reply! I am currently in the proces of finding out what it exactly means you are writing here. Something is dawning on me however that might be the problem.

My server is in name of touchingbodhi.com, a previous project. I have put the domains droomdagboek.net and jaaadesign-networks.nl also on my server. Ofcourse I removed all the database tables before installing a new wordpress installation on there BUT MADE NEW INSTALLATION USING JAAADESIGN-NETWORK.NL (as shown in the wp-config and .htaccess).

Please tell me this is the problem?

In short:

Server

touchingbodhi.com=>

jaaadesign-networks.nl

droomdagboek.net

Installation

jaaadesign-networks.nl (main multisite)

droomdagboek.net (2nd multisite installation)

So basicly all of the above point at the same server ip and the names to themselves

Cheers, Nick

• Nick vd Veerdonk

Hi Joe, basicly all seems to be working ok since your last tips about me using subfolder to install a new network. I didn’t know I could just fill in a new domain (I thought first subfolders and later domainmapping like regular multisite).

BUT the only thing, apart from an irregularity here or there and as far as I can see now, is that when I network-update (wp or plugins) there is an error message. For example I just updated 2 wpmudev plugins and press ‘network update’ to update all my sites on droomdagboek.net, this is shown:

http://www.droomdagboek.net/testtemplates2

Waarschuwing! Probleem met het updaten van http://www.droomdagboek.net/testtemplates2. Je server is niet ingeschakeld om verbinding te maken met de sites die het gebruiken. Fout bericht: couldn’t connect to host

(Testtemplates2 is a website in multiinstal ‘droomdagboek.net’:wink:

So this site couldn’t be updated because it cant connect to the host, “server is not turnt on/configured to connect to the sites who use it”…

So I thought this had possibly something to do with the fact that my hosting account (first domain on server) is touchingbodhi.com?

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Nick,

Thank you for the additional input.

You would want to be updating whichever is the main site of the network.

I do not think that is the case but what is the main site of your network?

And I hope you did not use www’s in the configuration anywhere?

WordPress MultiSites see www’s as sub domains and they should not be used within the network though WordPress will indeed resolve them.

http://codex.wordpress.org/Before_You_Create_A_Network

Please note graphic in their examples and no www.’s:

http://codex.wordpress.org/images/1/13/sites-edit-site.png

We are making progress though.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• Nick vd Veerdonk

Hi Joe, thank you once more. The main sites of the network (got 2 as it is):

http://www.jaaadesign-networks.nl (first install, as in wp-config)

http://www.droomdagboek.met (second)

NOTE: I was not trying to update an additional site (to an imstallation) manually, just got the error notification.

Domain on which the server is installed: http://www.touchingbodhi.com

I did use www everywhere, because of esthetic reasons and because my cdn provider demands it.

This never was a problem on my other installations?!

I get the creeping suspicion I’ll be starting this project from zero very soon :slight_frown:

Also, in honor of your efforts:slight_smile:, I’m going to write a tuteral on how to install NfW when this is all fixed

Cheers,

Nick

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Nick,

Thank you for the further disclosure of your current network layout and this should have started with the touchingbodhi.com domain.

Regarding the www, I think you are missing what I was trying to tell that you do not need to use them in network creation and actually should not use www as shown by the WordPress codex, but the part I think you are missing is that WordPress and DNS will indeed make sure the www. works as it should – you just do not want to include it.

In the event you re-do your network, you would want to start with placing the network on touchingbodhi.com without www but you will see that if you type in www it indeed works.

Please let me know.

Cheers, Joe

• Nick vd Veerdonk

Hi Joe! Thanks for your reply. I made a brand new install without the www. and using touchingbodhi.com.

Things are exactly as they were I’m afraid, the same error notification on updating. Still, you gave me another option what this could be:

But it is my opinion that best practice would be parking the domain within/to the main domain and changing the domains registrar records name servers to be those of the main domains name servers which indeed should be the applicable name servers for the applicable host.

So the additional domains are all on the server (as I already am accustomed to with normal domainmapping) and consequently they all point to the same ip. Remains the changing of the domains registrar records name servers to be those of the main domains servers, and here I’m totally lost. I have added the DNS configurations of droomdagboek (second oinstallation) as shown by my hostingprovider, what do I need to change to let the server connect to the sites droomdagboek is hosting?

I’m out of ideas, thinking about ignoring the error notification.

Very much appreciated,

Nick

• Nick vd Veerdonk

Hi Joe,

I’m beginning to think a little break from solving this problem is probably a good idea. I’m getting pretty backed up with my other work and perhaps over time a sollution will present itself? For now I will go with making different installations using different databases on the server. I’ll be sure to keep you ‘in the loop’ with further devellopments concerning the installation of Networks for WordPress.

Seriously: thank you for your pitbull-like efforts to help me with this!

Have a great day,

Nick

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Nick,

Thank you so much for your working together on this project which seems that you now have other priorities that you mentioned.

Perhaps we can work on this a bit closer when you get back to it starting with a fresh install of MultiSite and perhaps I will set it up for you :slight_smile: though off forum work is at a premium, not relative to money but time.

I do look forward to hooking up again concerning this project.

Sorry that we did not know each other sooner when I was in Holland in October!

Look forward to hearing from you in the future in any event.

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV Community Member!

Sincerely, Joe

• Nick vd Veerdonk

You are too kind Joe and we’re lucky to have your support here at WPMU DEV!

Yes I have to finish some other wp projects but would really appreciate if we could take another look at Networks for WordPress later.

You visited the Netherlands? That’s nice! Hope you had a good time Joe, maybe next time I could show you around?

Kind regards,

Nick

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Nick,

Oh yes it was great cruising the canals, checking out the house boats, Cappuchino’s, T-Bone steaks in the Argentine restaurants, and some really great Mexican food not to mention all the beautiful … umm … young people!

I will certainly let you know when a return trip is in order, but it was a great 5 days and nights of fun and my first time being a tourist!

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.