Networks of networks and access control

Hi Guys,
I'm looking for recommendations for a potential client.
I have network+ that was recommended. It will solve the top half of my project needs as far as state and city breakdown.
My question is which plugin is best at the local level?

I can go state.city.category.domain.com and then have the sub sites below the category. My concern is that each level of sub-domain requires it's own dns entry or parked domain.

What is the best way to handle the category and sub groups?
Would the membership plugin do that? Can I activate the membership plugin on the main site and grant access to the sub sites from there?

What is the best way to create groups on the local level as in the url above?
The groups need
a calendar.
Email notifications
Discussion/updates.

I'm tired and not sure I'm making sence.
Looking for the best way to manage private groups.

• aristath

Hello there @Richard, I hope you're well today!
    I'm afraid I don't quite understand the structure you're using... Is it sub-sub-sub-sites in a multisite installation?

My concern is that each level of sub-domain requires it's own dns entry or parked domain.

If you want 1 domain and the rest are subdomains, then a wildcard DNS entry should do the trick for all of them. No need for individual entries.

Can I activate the membership plugin on the main site and grant access to the sub sites from there?

I'm afraid no. On multisites, the membership plugin works per-site and not globally. So you'd have to separately configure it for each site.

I hope that helps!

Cheers,
    Ari.

• Richard

Network+ allows you to have multiple networks on one domain/install. each network requires it's own dns entry or parked domain.

What I need is the best way to handle groups in a site.
    I don't want to use buddypress, but I need to create private groups in a site.
    These groups need much of the same capabilities as buddypress.
    notifications, follow the posts, calendar etc.

What is the best way to set up private groups in a site?

Thanks again
    Richard

• aristath

Hello again Richard,
    The DNS stuff is simple. On your cPanel, just add subdomains using wildcards: *.example.com should be added so thateach new sub-domain and sub-sub-domain will automatically resolve.
    I really don't know how the Networks+ plugin affects an installation and if it's compatible with some plugins or if it needs anything special. The documentation is not available unless I buy the plugin.

What I need is the best way to handle groups in a site.
    I don't want to use buddypress, but I need to create private groups in a site.
    These groups need much of the same capabilities as buddypress.
    notifications, follow the posts, calendar etc.

BuddyPress is the best plugin out there for these things. In fact, since BP was first released in 2009, nobody even bothered building a plugin for groups etc, because BP does the job pretty well! I looked for such plugins but couldn't find any.
    Out of curiosity, is there any particular reason you don't want to install BuddyPress?

Cheers,
    Ari.

• Richard

I tried BuddyPress early on in my membership here. I spent a lot of time working out issues with plug ins. I can't say it was 100% a BuddyPress problem, but things got a lot easier when I pulled it out of the equation.
    It seems, if I remember right, I needed the groups in the sub site and BuddyPress only wanted to dominate the top level site.
    I will try it again now that I have network+ under control. I will see if it will work in the lower level networks. If it does, problem solved,
    I need something stable, this is a national business group and I can't afford risky scripts.

Thanks aggain
    Richard

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.