Google Maps New Beta

A new version of Google Maps plugin is on the way, with a lot of new features.

1. Map alignment support: maps can be aligned to left, right or center. This can be set in plugin settings, or per map in the editor.
2. Advanced mode for the maps list: allows merging multiple maps into a new one and batch deleting multiple maps.
3. Overlaying markers from multiple maps onto a single map
4. Post Indexer integration - showing maps from the whole network (in widget, or as a shortcode attribute)
5. Showing links to posts in markers
6. New shortcode attributes

Here are some examples of the new shortcode attributes in action:

[map query="all" overlay="true" show_map="false" show_images="false" show_posts="true" width="100%"]
This will show just a list of markers from all maps on the current blog. The list will be as wide as possible.

[map query="tag=my_tag" network="true" overlay="true" show_images="false" show_posts="true" height="100px" width="100%"]
This will show one map, which will have all markers from maps associated with all posts on the network that have the tag "my_tag". The map itself will be shown and it will have a list of markers displayed below it (those are the defaults). Also, markers will have a list of links to posts associated with their original map. The Panoramio image gallery will not be shown. The map itself will be as wide as possible (it will fill all available space), but it will be only 100px high.

You can download the Beta version here.

• nationalbd
    • New Recruit

I am having no luck with this plug in. I have entered my data (to create a custom map of bocce locations in the USA) 3 times and on all 3 occasion, the data stays put for a few hrs and then it disappears. I have tried recovering the data from my hosting company, but that has not worked, so after 3 days of work I have nothing to show.

• johnnymestizo
    • HummingBird

Great work ! My particular site needs full buddypress integration. It is fantastic u have full network MU support thanks to indexer.

Will a possible future involve geo markers for BP profiles, activity posts using wordpress geolocation? That is why I use gpress...

Btw this is awesome! GEO is so the future if not now

+1 to all above features

Johnny

• Vladislav
    • Dead Eye Dev

Hi,

How about a combination of geolocation features and custom field support? In the latest update, there is a new section in the plugin settings dedicated to setting up automatic creation of new maps from custom fields.

Currently, it can handle either a latitude/longitude pair of custom fields, or an address field. Of course, you can fill out all three, but the latitude/longitude pair will take precedence over address.

If any of the posts have those fields, a new map will be created with a marker on the location indicated by them. The map can be also automatically associated with the post (this is useful for advanced stuff, like queries) and auto-inserted into the post, above or below the post contents.

The new map generation process is also triggered on the public pages, so any and all of your old posts with custom address/geolocation fields will have new maps generated as soon as they're visited for the first time. For all new posts, the new maps will be auto-generated the first time it's published. Of course, we keep track on autocreated maps, so they won't be generated multiple times.

New maps are created with default settings. However, once the map is created, it is a regular map, like any other you may have created by hand. If you don't like how it looks, you can just open it in the editor and add more markers, change its' settings etc, just like you'd do with any other map. You can also include it in other posts, show it in widget, etc.

I have tested it with Geolocation plugin (http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/geolocation/) and a custom field for address. To make the new feature work with Geolocation plugin, you may want to enter these values:

Latitude field name: geo_latitude
    Longitude field name: geo_longitude
    Address field name: geo_address

For custom fields, just enter the name of your field in the corresponding box.

Note that you'll have to enable this feature first. If you wish to disable it at any time, just set "Use custom Post Meta fields support" to "No".

• Moonworks
    • Code Wrangler

Thank you, that's exactly what I was thinking about :0)

I'll tell you how I'm using it, as it may whet the creative juices of others.

On my site at http://www.theisleofavalon.com, I have a section where users can add shops, places of interest, places to stay, etc. They do this by using a Gravity Form which has various custom fields, including 'address'. Once they have added the info, it automatically creates a post with all the info, plus a map.

• Moonworks
    • Code Wrangler

This works well using the custom field, however I have found a problem.

If you put in a map size, it will do that size, but when I change the map size it still shows the original size on the post.

I discovered this as I accidentally put 650px height & 350px width (should have been the other way round). I changed it, but I still get the same. I deactivated/reactivated, but it still gives the original height/width.

• Moonworks
    • Code Wrangler

Another thing, is how I can have it automatically zoom in further automatically?

As you can see on my page, the map shows all the way down to Tunisia, but the site is all for a single small town in England, so a nice close zoom is all that is required?

I also can't find where to edit the maps that have been created, though that is probably just me being blind.

http://theisleofavalon.com/visitors-guide/all-accommodation/bed-breakfast/bb-30/pilgrims-bed-breakfast/

• Moonworks
    • Code Wrangler

I may actually just use the widget area for the map. The only problem with that, is that it after selecting 'Show posts in markers' in the widget, it always returns to be selected if I uncheck it.

How do you use the custom query in the widget? It has a link for further info, but it only links to the Google Maps plugin, and I can't see any info there.

• Vladislav
    • Dead Eye Dev

Once the map has been autogenerated, the settings are saved as map settings - meaning, the defaults don't affect it anymore. However, you can easily change any settings in the map editor.

You can get to map editor by clicking the globe icon in "Edit post" page (any post will do). Once you click it, in the pop-up interface the first thing you see should be a list of existing maps. One of those will be the auto-generated map (it will be named the same as your address from the custom field). Click on "Preview/Edit" and, once it opens, you can change the zoom level by zooming the preview map in and out. You can also change any of the settings for the map in "Map Options" dialog, including the width and height.

Once you're done editing, just save the map and close the editor. The auto-generated maps will automatically be displayed with the post, so you don't need to insert it at all.

Having said all that, I do see how a "default zoom" option would come in handy - one certainly doesn't want to display most of the globe for a local map, and hand-editing each and every auto-generated map would be cumbersome, to say the least. I'll look into adding that to plugin settings.

As for queries, the accepted argument is a single string that is passed to WP_Query class, so you can do pretty powerful stuff with it (note: this does NOT apply to network-wide queries, which are currently limited to "tag=my_tag" or "tag=my_tag_1,my_tag_2"-type queries). Anyway, for non-network queries, you can find some more info here: http://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/query_posts and here: http://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/WP_Query#Interacting_with_WP_Query (be warned, it's geeky stuff).

• Moonworks
    • Code Wrangler

Thanks, it's all going well. I'll have a play around with all the settings.

The auto-settings would be good for zoom because the map is added automatically so, as you said, it would be a pain to have to alter each one and would defeat the purpose of being fully automated.

Thanks.

• Vladislav
    • Dead Eye Dev

Hi,

Map plugin settings have a new option, for setting the default zoom level. The available values are: Earth, Continent, Region, Nearby Cities, City Plan and Details. Please, note that these names are only approximations. Any newly created maps, including auto-generated maps, will start at the chosen zoom level.

@Johnny, I have thought quite a bit about your suggestion (geolocation in activity posts and profiles). Although it's quite intriguing, I'd rather keep the focus of this plugin relatively tight, at least for now.

Please, let us know if you have any issues.

• John
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Any plans to remove the "WPMU DEV Maps Installation and Use instructions." from the map adder in the posts area and in the Google Maps plugin options. Along with the "WPMU Dev Maps" menu title under the settings?

I like my network to be as "white labeled" as possible if that makes sense.

• johnnymestizo
    • HummingBird

I have a snowboarding site

http://snowboardsale.com.au/burton-snowboarding-boots-and-bindings-in-sydney/

The above post has a map associated to the post in Sydney.

All posts and main page have a widget located at the bottom. This is the mashup widget.

It has your above code in the custom field:

[map query="all" overlay="true" show_map="false" show_images="false" show_posts="true" width="100%"]

It is not showing the post link or title when you click on the Sydney marker for the Sydney post.

It is my understanding that your plugin should show posts from sydney on a mashup? Is this correct?

Cheers

Johnny

• Vladislav
    • Dead Eye Dev

Hi,

Thank you so much for posting the link, it helped me figure out what was going on. There was a conflict with one of the scripts in the page, but that shouldn't be hard to fix. Can you please try to update the plugin with the attached update and see if it helps?

• johnnymestizo
    • HummingBird

Hi

I have updated the plugin.

It is working to some degree.

It does not seem to take the existing content of the post and autofill the map market with the content.

This means, I would have to create multiple 'blank' posts with map data content.

Is it possible to set this up so when you click the global mashup map market it brings up further details, autofills that content from the post content, and the ability to disable the directions/address info?

Cheers

Johnny

• johnnymestizo
    • HummingBird

Yes thats right.

Even the full post content if possible.

You could then make your whole travel blog, for example, completely revolve around your google map. Navigation could be via the map only and they would never have to leave your map page with marker posts.

Perhaps make this an tickbox option, so people who want directions still can use that. People that want geo posts can use the above, etc.

Cheers

Johnny

• Vladislav
    • Dead Eye Dev

Hi,

When you open a map in Map Editor (either by selecting "Preview/Edit" for an existing map, or by creating a new map), you will see a button labeled "Map Options". Clicking this button will open a dialog with options, and one of those should be labeled "Show posts". If you check that box, links to associated posts should appear in the marker description. There is a similar option in widget settings too. Also, you can force this behavior manually, in the shortcode - Johnny's shortcode posted a few posts above is a great example of this.

Note, the links will appear only to posts that have been associated with the map - there is an option for that too in the very same dialog.

• johnnymestizo
    • HummingBird

Ok, i can see the posts displaying when I click the sydney marker.

I would still like to get rid of 'Directions'. That is a link to the post but why would it be 'directions' as it is not. Can this be changed?

Also, the popup marker bubble post title is not clickable - you must click 'directions' which is strange.

I will do some more work on putting multiple posts in Sydney and see how that displays.

I will also add multiple posts for Melbourne.

Thanks for the feedback and development!

This is awesome!

Johnny

• johnnymestizo
    • HummingBird

Hi

Created a new blog using wpmudev Default Blog plugin.

Now, it seems like maps is read only. Whenever I try to create a new map and hit save, it states 'Map not saved'.

Deact/React did not work. Is there some other way to reset this install?

Summary:
    - Fix why it is not saving
    - i want each post to have a location(no map on end page). then a mashup on front page. this uses maps plugin as a nav system. therefore, no direction please!
    - can we add custom markers?
    - i will have a new demo site ready soon.

Cheers

Johnny

• johnnymestizo
    • HummingBird

New example:

http://kettlebell.tradr.com.au/12-kg-kettlebells-for-sale-in-sydney/

Here are 9 posts mapped to the location of Sydney.

Due to possible install issues - the marker icon isn't even loading. When I set the map location from the post admin screen the map did not load.

The front end mashup loads fine. I have chosen not to display the map for each post.

All sydney posts are on MAP 1.

Melbourne will be map 2.

As you can see, I do not need directions. I am using your plugin as a nav system.

Any way to make this better VeBail ? firstly, i dont know how to reset my plugin.

As there is a cluster of geo tagged posts in Sydney, could a different marker show. When people click it it zooms in. like glocate.me

Cheers

Johnny

• johnnymestizo
    • HummingBird

After re-saving 8 times I managed to get something reasonable working.

http://kettlebell.tradr.com.au/

2 locations with several posts under sydney.

glocate.me has this feature where at certain zoom levels markers that are close together are represented by a blurry marker with 2 in it. when you click it the map zooms in to clarify where the posts are.

Can this plugin handle it if there is a separate post per suburb?

Cheers,

Johnny

• johnnymestizo
    • HummingBird

Also, can JS accordian be used to expand all the posts in sydney under the map.

if this mashup had 100+ posts it would look shocking.

and all the room to the right could be utilised if more columns were added to the map pane.

Hope your not hating this feedback...? I am an active wpmudev plugin user! ;P

cheers

Johnny

• Vladislav
    • Dead Eye Dev

Hi,

First of all, sorry for not replying sooner and second, thank you for such detailed feedback and so many ideas!

For the problem you experienced with a newly created site, I assume you were using New Blog Templates plugin (https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/new-blog-template). If I'm right, the problem was that the table needed to hold maps was not copied to the newly created site.

In the template settings, under "Advanced Options", you'll see a list of tables that can be copied when you create your new site with the template. You'll need to tick the checkbox for the maps table - with default WordPress settings, it's called "wp_agm_maps": http://i53.tinypic.com/ji2bt5.png

• johnnymestizo
    • HummingBird

Thanks

Yeah I had to re-create the maps but thats ok. I did tick supporting tables.

Not sure why that happened but if I am creating a new blog I might as well create a new map for that blog.

What about the following:

Also, can JS accordian be used to expand all the posts in sydney under the map.
    if this mashup had 100+ posts it would look shocking.
    and all the room to the right could be utilised if more columns were added to the map pane.

I think I am using your latest upgrade - is this production or beta? Will you be auto-update enabling all this progressive beta releases into a official version release?

Cheers

Johnny

• johnnymestizo
    • HummingBird

The plugin seems to act weird in IE7

The blue map markers took 25 seconds to load after everything else loaded in 2 secs.

When I click the markers the bubble with posts popped up - but the corners of the bubble did not.

When I clicked another marker on the map it overlaid the previous bubble. I then had two bubbles messing up the map at the same time?

I know internet explorer is a piece of arse but a lot of big organisations still run it.

Does WPMUDEV devs support old browser compatibility? What is the official stance on this?

Cheers

John

• Vladislav
    • Dead Eye Dev

Hi,

About IE7, I understand perfectly what you mean. I don't have IE7 at the moment so I can't check for sure, but what I do know is that Google is dropping support for older IE versions (including IE7). Since marker bubble popups are coming from Google Maps scripts, it's very possible that this is what's causing the issue. Unfortunately, if this is the case, there's not much we can do about it.

About the other suggestions, the latest beta (attached) comes with a text box for custom CSS in plugin settings. This may come in handy to customize a bit of css for e.g. sites with dark themes. In your case, you could use that to kill the directions links. You can do that by adding a simple CSS rule to this box:

a.agm_mh_marker_item_directions {
        display: none;
    }

Also, if there are more then 3 posts associated with the map, you should now see a "See More"/"Hide" links that do just what they promise.

• antKat
    • HummingBird

VeBailovity,
    What is the status of this new beta? I see through the thread that you have made subsequent changes to the original since the original beta release. Is the download at top of forum thread the latest & greatest? I have not downloaded it yet; will it work well with multi-site?

• johnnymestizo
    • HummingBird

Hi antkat

It is my understanding that google maps is for single blogs.

However, in this current beta vebail is working with another wpmudev plugin, called post indexer, to allow us to grab posts with locations from MU sitewide blogs and mashup them on one map.

Hope this helps!

Cheers

Johnny

• antKat
    • HummingBird

Hi Johnny,
    Thanks for the input. Although I need multi-site capability, I am not trying to aggregate network wide. However, within each individual site on the network, multiple geocoded posts to display on map by category. VeBailovity, will this new beta version work for this type of application?

• Vladislav
    • Dead Eye Dev

Hi,

Thank you for spotting the javascript bug - in the attached version it should be gone.

As for the post titles in marker description bodies, they're always added to markers (as the posts are associated to a map). If you wish to have different post lists for two markers in, say, Sidney, perhaps you can make two Sidney maps with one location each, associate each with the posts you want displayed in the marker description, and use the overlay functionality to display both markers on one map (i.e. mashup)?

@antKat, the plugin works on multisite too, and it's particularly easy if you don't need aggregated content across network (if it turns out you do need that after all, it can be done too, but you'll need Post Indexer plugin as well, just like Johnny pointed out).

This beta version includes support for geocoded posts (see this reply a bit up for some more info: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/new-beta-version#post-99015). Multiple posts can be shown on one map too, and it's also possible to limit the search to a category (with query shortcode attribute/widget option) - note that for this one you'll want your maps associated with the posts, not just inserted. If the maps are to be autogenerated (also supported in this beta), you can set them to be associated to posts on creation, so that can be taken care of for you too.

• johnnymestizo
    • HummingBird

Thanks for the fix

What about layout as per:

With the CSS box is it possible to have columns in the detail box? At the moment everything is small and to the left. I would love to be able to make columns with 1 location per cell. (a grid)

What is the exact format of this custom field that will auto magically create the posts own map?

After you have conquered working with posts - will BP groups, BP users be supported? Btw Boone just release bp1.3 new info on how BPgetusermeta (something like that) works. Are you thinking down that line at all?

Many thanks

John

• johnnymestizo
    • HummingBird

All i can figure out is i need an address field.

geo_address string ie: "221B Baker St,
    Westminster, London NW1 6XE, UK"

is the actually custom field i need to update actually named "geo_address" ?

it the format number, street name, street type, suburb, city, post code, country?

commas, no commas,

I am building a custom form. is there an international standard way for people to select/input the correct address format the first time or do i have to manually review every address...?

Cheers

Johnny

• johnnymestizo
    • HummingBird

Also, something that is a bit odd. when you edit a map that already exists, remove a location and hit save.

It never confirms if your latest update was actually saved. so i just wait 5 seconds. then exit the window.

it would be cool if a little ajax notifier appeared to the right of the 'Save changes to this map' blue button.

PS: I have seen you on other threads. How many plugins do you dev? how much time you got to extend this 1 plugin? just wondering what your workload is! do you accept donations?

Cheers

Johnny

• Vladislav
    • Dead Eye Dev

Hi,

To auto-create a map from address, you'll need several things:

a) A custom field for your posts that will hold the address.
    b) To enable "Use custom Post Meta fields support" in Maps plugin settings
    c) To enter your custom field name in Maps plugin custom field settings, under "My posts have an address field"

If you use a plugin to (semi)automatically add the custom field to your posts, you'll need to figure out the custom field name, which Maps can bind to and check (e.g., for Geolocation plugin, this is "geo_address"). Some more info about the entire process can be found a bit further up in this thread (here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/new-beta-version#post-99015 ).

I agree that save confirmation/error reporting could use some polish, I'll be looking at this.

You should be able to show your post titles in rows with some fancy CSS. For an example, this should work in normal browsers:

div.agm_post_links_container {
    	-moz-column-count: 3;
    	-moz-column-gap: 20px;
    	-webkit-column-count: 3;
    	-webkit-column-gap: 20px;
    	column-count: 3;
    	column-gap: 20px;
    }

As for BuddyPress friendliness, that's an interesting direction for a next version. I'd kind of like to feature-freeze this one and get it released - it's been in beta for quite a while now :slight_smile:

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya guys,

Here's a quick dump of all the changes including shortcodes. We haven't updated the usage docs fully yet, so consider this just temporary:

1. Map alignment support: maps can be aligned to left, right or center. This can be set in plugin settings, or per map in the editor.

2. Advanced mode for the maps list: allows merging multiple maps into a new one and batch deleting multiple maps. It can be toggled on/off.

3. New maps gathering keyword: "all"
    , available both in Maps widget and in shortcode. Displays all maps on the blog, regardless of their post association.
    In Widget, "all" is a map option (additional radio box)
    In shortcode, it is a keyword for query attribute (i.e. [map query="all"]).

4. New maps appearance attribute: "overlay", available both in Maps widget and in shortcode. Merges markers from multiple maps into one map on the fly.
    In widget settings, rendered as "show as one map" checkbox. If checked, all map markers gathered by the "Use map(s) from" option will be merged into one map.
    In shortcode, it can’t stand alone - it must be used together with the "query" attribute. It will modify the shortcode output by merging all map markers into one map.
    The rendered map will use the default appearance values from plugin settings.
    Usage example: [map query="all" overlay="true"]

5. Post Indexer integration: if Post Indexer plugin is installed on site, new options are available for gathering the maps network-wide.
    In widget: a new checkbox appears under the "Custom query" field that says: "This is a network query (requires Post Indexer plugin)". If checked, the query from "Custom query" box will be performed network-wide.
    Currently, we support only "tag=tag_slug" queries. These are some examples:
    tag=my_tag
    tag=my_tag1,my_tag2
    Note: tag slugs should be entered in queries, not tag names.
    Note: custom queries will fetch only maps associated with posts that correspond to a query. A map can be inserted into a post without being associated to it. Maps are associated with posts in "Map Options" dialog in editor.
    In shortcode tag, there is a new "network" attribute.
    Network attribute must be used together with "query" attribute.
    If set, query from the "query" attribute will be performed network-wide.
    The rendered map will use the default appearance values from plugin settings.
    Usage example: [map query="tag=my_tag" network="true"]
    The rules for queries here are the same as for widget queries, limitations and all.
    If Post Indexer is not present, network options won’t be available.

6. New Maps appearance option: "show posts", available in Widget settings, map editor and in the shortcode tag.
    In Widget settings, there is a new field "Show posts in markers".
    If checked, the list of associated posts will be shown as list of links in markers.
    It can be used together with the new "network" option.
    In map editor, it is located in the "Map Options" dialog.
    In shortcode attribute, the attribute is "show_posts" and behaves as map settings override.
    If set to "true", the list of associated posts will be displayed regardless of map settings.
    If set to "false", the list of associated posts will NOT be displayed regardless of map settings.
    If not used, the map will use the settings from "Map Options" dialog.
    Usage examples:
    [map id="1" show_posts="true"] – Show list of associated posts in markers
    [map id="1" show_posts="false"] – Do not show list of associated posts

7. New map appearance shortcode attributes. If used, they will override the corresponding map settings from "Map Options".
    "show_map": shows or hides the map itself. Possible values are "true" and "false".
    Usage examples:
    [map id="1" show_map="true"] – Always show map, regardless of map settings
    [map id="1" show_map="false"] – Never show map, regardless of map settings
    "show_markers": shows or hides the list of map markers under the map. Possible values are "true" and "false".
    Usage examples:
    [map id="1" show_markers="true"] – Always show marker list, regardless of map settings
    [map id="1" show_markers="false"] – Never show marker list, regardless of map settings
    "show_images": shows or hides Panoramio images gallery. Possible values are "true" and "false".
    Usage examples:
    [map id="1" show_images="true"] – Always show Panoramio image gallery, regardless of map settings
    [map id="1" show_images="false"] – Never show Panoramio image gallery, regardless of map settings
    "width": Sets map width. Accepted values are either width percentages, or width in pixels.
    Usage examples:
    [map id="1" width="100%"] – Show map at 100% width, regardless of map settings
    [map id="1" width="100"] – Show map 100px wide, regardless of map settings
    "height": Sets map height. Values will always be interpreted as height in pixels.
    Usage examples:
    [map id="1" height="100"] – Show map 100px high, regardless of map settings

Advanced shortcode tags examples
    The new attributes can be used together in a shortcode tag. This is especially useful for the new map overlays, since they will use map defaults (from plugin settings), unless told otherwise by attributes.

These are some examples:
    This will show just a list of markers from all maps on the current blog. The list will be as wide as possible.

[map query="tag=my_tag" network="true" overlay="true" show_images="false" show_posts="true" height="100px" width="100%"]
    This will show one map, which will have all markers from maps associated with all posts on the network that have the tag "my_tag". The map itself will be shown and it will have a list of markers displayed below it (those are the defaults). Also, markers will have a list of links to posts associated with their original map. The Panoramio image gallery will not be shown. The map itself will be as wide as possible (it will fill all available space), but it will be only 100px high.

• johnnymestizo
    • HummingBird

Hiya

Further testing confirms these combinations do not work either.

[map query="all" network="true" overlay="true" show_images="false" show_posts="true" height="300px" width="100%" show_markers="true"]

[map query="tag=xyz123" network="true" overlay="true" show_images="false" show_posts="true" height="300px" width="100%" show_markers="true"]

[map query="tag=xyz123" network="true" overlay="true" show_images="false" show_posts="true" height="300px" width="100%"]

Any help much appreciated.

Johnny

• johnnymestizo
    • HummingBird

Hi

How do I override on the specific map the zoom level? ie: regional, city..

How do I override the default map display options and display my map as a satellite version over a roadmap?

Perhaps, some more tooltips in the backend would stop people referring to documentation...

Cheers

Johnny

• johnnymestizo
    • HummingBird

Any map options for a map=1 is unavailable if you are doing a query mashup.

When I change the wpmudev maps settings in wpadmin, nothing actually applies to my network=true query mashup.

Therefore, a need to be able to specify more appearance properties in the shortcode is needed.

Johnny

• johnnymestizo
    • HummingBird

BAM !

Found an issue sorry sorry!

You specify the same location in one blog, with the same network tag, with another blog...

Then in the network mashup, that location existing marker posts are wiped.

So a new post at the same location on another blog REPLACES all previous marker posts on the Network Mashup Map.

Kind of a big deal !

Johnny

• katypurviance
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

I just need some quick clarification here:

To auto-create a map from address, you'll need several things:

a) A custom field for your posts that will hold the address.
    b) To enable "Use custom Post Meta fields support" in Maps plugin settings
    c) To enter your custom field name in Maps plugin custom field settings, under "My posts have an address field"

I created a Custom Field...in Custom Press (maybe that's my problem?). I named it Course Location.

I enabled "Use custom Post Meta fields support" in Maps plugin settings.

I entered my custom field name (Course Location) in Maps plugin custom field settings, under "My posts have an address field"

Next, I went to my test post and entered an address in my Course Location custom field.

And...no map.

Then, I followed the directions from https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/custompress/installation/ on adding custom fields.

Okay, so now the address shows up on the post. But there's no map.

What am I doing wrong?

Many thanks!

• Vladislav
    • Dead Eye Dev

Hi,

The problem stems from a terminology conflict - the term "name" is used for both pretty, human readable field title (typically shown to users in the UI, otherwise known as "label"), and field name as used by WordPress internally. The Google Maps plugin assumes "name" means the internal name, whereas CustomPress uses "name" for human readable one.

This probably sounded more confusing then it had to, so here's a concrete example - what you need is called "Field ID" for your filed in CustomPress. You can get that value by going to "Custom Fields" list, and copying the "Field ID" value listed near your field. Next, you'll want to enter that into "Address field name" box in Google Maps settings, and save.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.