New Blog Template causes some theme options to be unavailable to new sites

I posted this in the Pro Sites category but it looks to be a New Blog Template issue, so I thought I'd try here.

In my network I have set up a template to automatically add the "Divi" theme to any newly created site. This works great EXCEPT that some of the theme functionality is lost in those new sites.

Here's a video screen capture that shows the problem I am facing: http://screencast.com/t/T4EMRaZh

Any ideas? Those features are pretty important to have working for all sites in my network.

FYI - I did try disabling all plugins, but with no success.

Thanks

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Hi there @Dave

I hope you are well today!

I just set up a template using the Divi theme on a test network and can confirm the issue you have described.

I tried switching themes, then reactivating Divi, but no joy there.

Something in the theme is not being recognized/copied by New Blog Templates in the process.

So I've flagged the developer on this so he can start investigating.

• Ignacio
    • HummingBird

Hi @Dave.

It seems to be an incompatibility. Complex themes are usually difficult to integrate with New Blog Templates. It depends on how do they save the options in the database as they are just literally copied. I'll try to make some tests today but bear in mind that is friday and I'll be off during the weekend so I might answer on monday.

Regards.
    Ignacio.

• Ignacio
    • HummingBird

Hi @Dave.

It seems that the theme saves those layouts in the wp_posts table. I guess you have "Posts" option deactivated for that template so no posts are bieng copied.

There are two solutions for that:
    1) Check the "Posts" option. That will copy all posts, not only layouts.
    2) If you don't want to copy posts you'll need some custom coding. I made a little script for you that will copy layouts when pages are copied. See the file attached, you only need to unzip and copy the file into wp-content/mu-plugins folder (if it does not exist, create it).

Let me know if that worked for you.

Regards.
    Ignacio.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.