New blog template - default not selected on registration screen

Hi,

I am using the new blog template plugin and allow users to select a template on registration.
The one small issue I am having is that when the user reaches this screen the default template is not automatically selected by default when the user reaches the screen. the user then is not sure how to proceed i.e. they are unsure that they actually have to click on one of the templates to select it.
Not sure if it makes a difference but I use the screenshot with description option for users to select their template.

Many thanks,

Conor

• aecnu

Greetings Conor,

Thank you for this great question and a significant item to bring up.

The whole purpose of the New Blog Template plugin is so that the new blogs are laid out exactly the way you have laid out in the template sub site.

Therefore choosing a theme would not be an option because you have already done so with the new blog template forcing the options you desire.

If the new registering person has a choice other then the new blog template itself, then what is the purpose of using the new blog template at all?

If I am missing something here or missing the concept of what you are trying to accomplish please let me know.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• WACKA

Hi Joe,
    Many thanks for the reply but I must not have explained myself well.
    The problem occurs on the blog registration screen. Using the plugin you can allow users to select from a choice of templates when they register for a new blog. The issue is that initially none of the templates are highlighted when the screen is shown. The user must click on one of them to highlight it.

Hope this makes sense?

Conor

• aecnu

Greetings Conor,

Aha! Thank you for the clarification it is greatly appreciated.

The issue is that initially none of the templates are highlighted when the screen is shown. The user must click on one of them to highlight it.

I see this as a possible issue that one of the templates in the list is not set as a default template forcing the user to have to make a choice before proceeding?

I am 99% sure this is the intended use but of course I certainly do not know everything.

Personally I would see this as a bonus because it will certainly stop a lot of spam bots in their tracks not being able to get through this portion of registration.

Another option would be to just disable this option and force the theme you want at registration knowing they can change the theme once they have registered.

This could also be made into a feature request to have a default theme preselected, but of course this will take time and we do not know if it will be implemented at all.

Now I am not sure if this will help at all by setting a default theme, but I will include it as an option:
    New Blog Defaults plugin

Last but not least if you cannot code this in yourself, alternatively you could see if there's a developer available at wpmu jobs who could get onto it right this minute.

With these several perspectives given above and possible actions, please advise on which way you would like to proceed.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu

Greetings Conor,

I would like to confirm if this is being experienced by anyone else or if it is as intended?

This would be hard to know unless anyone else wants to come in here and let us know, we they are most certainly welcome to do.

In my personal case I prefer it this way to help stop spam bots but my personal preferences for may sites are not relative to those of yours :slight_smile:

If so, please could you pass this on to the developers of the plugin as a feature request?

Absolutely but actually you would want to place it in our feature request area:

You can now make plugin and feature requests here:
    http://wpmudev.uservoice.com/

The more popular a request is and the more votes it gets, the more likely it will be considered.

It might have already been suggested. It is worth a quick search to add your votes before submitting a new suggestion.

As mentioned earlier I am not absolutely sure if this is the intended usage or not.

Therefore I will see if I can get the lead developer in here with his invaluable insight into this plugin for his advice/advise for us.

Though this may take a bit longer then a normal ticket, I will try to get him in here asap.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu

Greetings Conor,

We have not heard back from you as to the status of this issue.

If you are still having an issue please let us know so that we may try to get you fixed up as soon as possible by choosing to check mark this ticket as unresolved below and posting any new errors or symptoms you are noticing.

This action will also bring your ticket up front back in plain view again within the ticket system.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

• calenfretts

This issue appears to have returned - I have a default NBT set, but the registration form "As simple selection box" defaults to "None". Changing to "As radio-box selection with descriptions", it just does not preselect the default. The default is #0, BTW (the first one I created). Anyone else experiencing this?

As a side note, is there a way to disable the "None" option entirely? Thanks!

• PC

Hiya,

If you have selected a template as default, then no matter you choose a template on the new site, it will create it as per default template.

You can set one of your templates to be the default template. The default template gets automatically applied to any new blog creation, whether it's through Wordpress, BuddyPress, or another plugin, as long as they use the internal Wordpress blog creation function. That means if you choose to use a default template, any new blog created will automatically use that template - including blogs that users set up themselves!

If you've set a blog as a default blog (if you did, one of the blogs above will say (Default) under the Actions column) and you no longer want to use a default template, simply click the button below to remove the default option. You can always make another template default later by clicking one of the [Make Default] links above. Note: Clicking this button will not delete any templates, it simply turns off the default feature until you choose another default template.

Cheers, PC

• calenfretts

Okay - so in that case, what was the original point of this thread? It seemed to me as if the point of the "default" template was to a) use that template if the user is not given the selection on registration, and b) default the selected option on registration when "Show templates selection on registration" option is checked.

If user's selection is ignored when there is a default set, then why is the option even shown to the user at all? Lastly, I have a default set, but my user has selected a different template at registration, and that template was used?

• aecnu

Greetings calenfretts,

Thank you for the additional clarification which put the question in my mind, if indeed you do not want the members to use any other theme then the New Blog Templates theme and options, then why are there any other themes enabled in the network admin?

Would not by virtue of disabling them in the network admin make them unavailable as a choice?

Am I perhaps missing something here or missing the point?

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• PC

Greetings and thanks for being a great community member.

We haven't heard from you on this one for long and I am doing a regular followup to see if there is still something we can assist you on this thread.

Just to manage the support issues more efficiently, I am marking this thread as resolved for now however this is not being done to avoid your questions in any ways.

Please feel free to mark this is "Not resolved" in case you have further questions and we would be back on it.

Thanks a lot for being with WPMU DEV.

Cheers
    PC

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.