New Blog Template - Multiple Templates / Themes

First of all, I'm using Blogs-MU theme, with WP 3.01. I'm not using BuddyPress, on WP with multi-site enabled only. Our site is simply a specific theme domain where users can create their own website related to our theme.

Ok, Now on to the issue...We just installed NBT and had really high hopes for it. It worked perfectly for our default theme. However, when we wanted to add more templates they simply show there as if they are waiting to be the "default" someday. It doesn't appear they are accessible or have any other use. We were thinking it would place theses templates in the theme area so we could enable them as themes or something to that effect.

We have many theme options for our users to choose from and all of them have "hard-coded" things we want to get rid of or avoid having the users see. As we said, it worked great for the default theme, but for that only.

How can we change all of these themes and make them all available for the users without going into the code of each.

Any way to do that with NBT? We really thought this was going to do it for us.

Thanks!

• Mason

Hiya bmk,

Sorry about the confusion, let's see if we can get it sorted.

we wanted to add more templates they simply show there as if they are waiting to be the "default" someday. It doesn't appear they are accessible or have any other use.

If you go to create a new site from within the Super Admin (Sites menu) you are given the option to choose a template which will apply to the new blog. The "default" blog is the one used when users sign up through wp-signup.php.

If you're looking for something that allows users to choose from a list of template themes, then I'm afraid this doesn't exist at this point. If there's enough interest in it from the community we'll definitely look into adding it to the list here, but at the moment we have a pretty clear path ahead for development.

Any other members here have a solution for something like this? Feel free to chime in with ideas!

Thanks!

• bmk0220

Thanks masonjames! Your a Super-Nice Support Guy.

I think we just had a bit too high hopes for this plugin. It would be very nice to be able to create customized "templates" of any theme, and use them all, not just one that will be the default. We wanted Template 1 - default, Template 2 - (Activate), Template 3 (Activate), Template 4 (Activate) and so on...and all to be able to be accessible by the users, just like Themes are, in fact, just show up as a Theme would be great so Admins can enable them and users can Activate them and not know any difference. This would make the customization of all of our themes much, much easier.

Anyway, thanks for the reply. I guess we'll just keep messing around with theme codes for now.

Thanks!

• Artsblurt

I don't know if this will help at all http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/nkthemeswitch/. You will have to look into it how well it might work for yourself. Without in-house bespoke coding capability you are going to have to compromise on some things but there is often a workaround.

Also note that after a user has created their blog they can then go and choose whichever theme they want through their dashboard as long as you have made them available. We show a list a page of posts each with a link to a demo and more info for each theme option so at least the user will be aware that there are more options.

Let me know if I am way off the mark

• drdave

How can we change all of these themes and make them all available for the users without going into the code of each.

I just grabbed this plugin last nite and has similar thoughts. This would be great to have users choose from a selection of templates rather than just one and also a way to allow admin more flexibilty in "What to copy to new blog?". For instance, instead of a check box for Posts and Pages how about two separate check boxes? One for Post and another for Pages. And another one that allow you to hide things like comments, pingbacks, trackbacks and all them little critters.

I am still in the dark on the users box though. Does this mean that only existing users get to use the new template? What about new user registrations? Maybe it should be tied to Supporter options.

Some of us are not too much interested in blogs and certainly many of my potential users won't be but they might be interested in creating websites instead. Would be nice to let this plugin think in that direction.

Also note that after a user has created their blog they can then go and choose whichever theme they want through their dashboard as long as you have made them available.

I also wondered how well that will work. Seems like a new theme selection each time will break things up thereby giving users more work.

IMO anyway for my users, make it as ez as possible.

• Mason

Hiya guys,

Thanks for your feedback on this. Your interest speaks volumes to us and we do take notice. Our devs are currently wrapped up working on some pretty exciting new features for a few plugins that I know you'll love, but we'll keep this one on the radar as well.

I'd love to tell ya we'll have it done next week, but we're very full up at the moment. Again, thanks for your feedback!

• Marty Thornley

@masonjames - the older version (or maybe not even from you guys - but something called Blog Templates) had a choice during signup for the templates. Although that was a bit clunky too, since it was just a dropdown list of template titles - not very informative for a new signup unfamiliar with the site. But a starting point to see how they did it. If you don't have it, I think I have a version somewhere, let me know.

This sounds like you want users to be able to choose after signup somehow. Instead of just browsing themes, they can browse entire templates and setup their whole site from that?

Sounds interesting and a better approach than during signup (maybe) - since they won't know what those templates mean...

However, thinking about the process, the blog template essentially clears out the new blog and copies over the template blog. Not a problem when first creating a new blog, but there would need to be some safety so users don't risk losing their entire site, just trying to apply a template.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.