New Blog Templates - can we make templates over templates without risk?

Hello,

Running P3 plugin I noticed that New Blog Template is apparently in use on a site created months ago with a template http://screencast.com/t/ohyx7KM2FoL

How is this possible? Does any link remains between a template and a site created with a template?

Can I create a template based on another template ? Can I create a template over a template over template without any risks ?

Please note that I had some redirection issues using the plugin (weirfly, after having created a sites with template it was redirecting to the template urls..??)

The explantion on https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/new-blog-template/ is not very clear:

-The site you’ve customized to use as a template is designed solely to be used as a template and not to be used a functioning site.
-Any changes made to a template blog affect any sites created after you’ve made the new changes, it doesn’t affect sites already created.
-DON’T use your main site as a tempate blog!

What can't we use our main site as template if we want to ? (knowing that template will reflect changes as we make them)

Thank you very much

Regards

Jean-Louis

• Mark Wallace

How is this possible? Does any link remains between a template and a site created with a template?

No! But that would be an awesome feature!

Can I create a template based on another template ? Can I create a template over a template over template without any risks ?

If you are talking about the template itself, then each new template would delete/replace the old unless you just created multiple templates

If you mean can you recreate over an existing site with a new blog template, then no! you would first have to delete that site, and remake it with or with out the new or old template.

Please note that I had some redirection issues using the plugin (weirfly, after having created a sites with template it was redirecting to the template urls..??)

Are these custom made links? If you make custom links, or HTML redirects then the NBT will copy them as they are; that means they will go to where they where created to go.
    Could you explain this a little more please?

-The site you’ve customized to use as a template is designed solely to be used as a template and not to be used a functioning site.
    -Any changes made to a template blog affect any sites created after you’ve made the new changes, it doesn’t affect sites already created.
    -DON’T use your main site as a tempate blog!

What can't we use our main site as template if we want to ? (knowing that template will reflect changes as we make them)

lol you can do what ever you want, but i suggest you listen to that advice. I have two templates set up, i never change them because that is what i want on each new site. If i where to use the main site then any change i make on that site will then be on any newly created site, which means i would have to check it every time to be sure that is what i want, but if i have template sites that never change, then i do not have to worry about it.

This also means if i do change a template, i can create a new one and save the old one, just encase the changes prove to be "undesirable"

This really is your choice, so by all means learn from experience if you choose to, but please for your own well being, create templates that will not be used on the actual day to day site!

Thanks
    Be Blessed!

• PC

Hiya,

Greetings and thanks for your post.

Thanks @And.Hello for chiming in on this one :slight_smile:

It does not leave a link unless you are using a custom menu with a link to the template.

You create templates using a template blog, so you can create a new template based on template blog, but that would not be something helpful. Is there any specific reason you are looking for that ?

You can have 10 different templates for the blogs which the users can choose from however if they are same, there is no point of having 10 of them :slight_smile:

That can only happen when you have got a custom menu. I would really appreciate if you can please share an example as if it's a bug, it's a serious one and we would love to fix it asap.

I would second Mark on his response on this one. The reason we have advised this is if you keep on using the template blog as a functioning site and you make any changes and by mistake mess up the template blog, it messes up the new sign ups.

I hope that helps. Please feel free to ask if you have more questions on the same.

Cheers
    PC
    Sales &Support

• Renega

Hello,

Everything's OK on this one, thanks for asking.

I believe I'm having issues when I re-create a subsite using a template when the subsite url was already in use in the past.. (after deleting the site and re-creating it with the same username)

Something related to database?

Otherwise I wanted most of all to understand plugin documentation correctly (as I think it's ambiguous)

Thank you

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.