New Blog Templates - Child Themes - Multisite

Hello

So my question is the following:

When working with Multisite and New Blog Templates will the following procedure be correct?

1. Create a new site/user with a sub-directory or sub-domain.
2. Upload parent theme and child theme.
3. Upload all plugins etc. (is this necessary or do the plugins carry over from my super admin/admin site?).
4. Make all wanted CSS changes in the style sheet of the child theme.
5. Add pages etc. to parent theme.
6. When done utilize New Blog Templates to choose newly created site/theme as default theme for new sites/users.
7. If there is a theme update, then update the parent theme under the sub-directory/domain.
8. If there is a WordPress update then update via super admin/admin.

*Will this also override the default theme setting under Network Settings?

*Which WordPress files are overridden when there is a new WordPress version installed? How will this affect Multisite (wp-config; htacces etc.)?

• Predrag Dubajic

Hey @Richard,

Hope you're having a nice weekend :slight_smile:

Let me answer this step by step, it will be easier to understand, so here it goes:

1. Create a new site/user with a sub-directory or sub-domain.

Yes, you will need to create new sub site, but you can only have sub-directory or sub-domain, not both, this depends on your network installation.

2. Upload parent theme and child theme.

Parent theme and child theme are uploaded to your network and then activated per sub site.

3. Upload all plugins etc. (is this necessary or do the plugins carry over from my super admin/admin site?).

Same as themes, all plugins are uploaded on network but unlike themes plugins can be network or site activated.

4. Make all wanted CSS changes in the style sheet of the child theme.

If you are going to have multiple templates with the same theme then you can't make changes in child theme stylesheet because it will affect all templates. What you can do is create different template sub sites and install custom css plugin like this one: https://wordpress.org/plugins/simple-custom-css/ now for each template add custom CSS using that plugin.

5. Add pages etc. to parent theme.

Pages are added to in your blog that you use as template and will be copied from there to new sub site created using that template.

6. When done utilize New Blog Templates to choose newly created site/theme as default theme for new sites/users.

For each template you want to offer you will need to create sub site, this is what user actually chooses and copies content, themes, plugins... from that sub site to his newly created sub site.

7. If there is a theme update, then update the parent theme under the sub-directory/domain.

All the updates are done in your network admin, sub sites don't need to update the theme/plugin individually.

8. If there is a WordPress update then update via super admin/admin.

Yes, this is correct.

*Will this also override the default theme setting under Network Settings?

Theme settings are saved in database and are not affected by the update.

*Which WordPress files are overridden when there is a new WordPress version installed? How will this affect Multisite (wp-config; htacces etc.)?

Your .htaccess and wp-config files will not be affected by the update but you should always make full backup before doing any updates on your site just to stay on safe side.

Hope this helps and that it's not too confusing :slight_smile:

Let us know if you have any additional questions.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Richard

Hey Predrag

Thanks for the detailed reply, a great help.

I will be using only one template for all sites on the network. So if I understand it correctly, this means that after creating either the sub-directory/domain and adding all pages, images etc., I then select this template as my new blog template.

Any CSS changes are made to the child theme under my super admin/admin account (which utilizes the same template) and this will affect the newly created blog template and all other sites on the network, correct?

So, I actually don't have to access the sub directory/domain site after it has been selected as the new blog template, because any CSS/HTML changes I make to the child theme under my super admin/admin will affect this template/site and all other sites under the network, seeing that I am utilizing the same template.

Is it possible to have CSS/HTML changes that will affect only the new blog template and subsequent sites?

• Predrag Dubajic

Hey Richard,

I will be using only one template for all sites on the network. So if I understand it correctly, this means that after creating either the sub-directory/domain and adding all pages, images etc., I then select this template as my new blog template.

Yes, all the pages and other content added to the sub site you decide to use as template will be transferred to new sub site created with this template selected, if you select them of course.
    When you finish your template sub site and in New Blog Templates select that sub site as template you will see options to select what is transferred to new site.
    Note that any content added to template sub site after creating new sub site will not be added to that sub site but all sub sites created after those changes will import those as well.

Any CSS changes are made to the child theme under my super admin/admin account (which utilizes the same template) and this will affect the newly created blog template and all other sites on the network, correct?

Yes, since there is only one theme that is being activated across network.

So, I actually don't have to access the sub directory/domain site after it has been selected as the new blog template, because any CSS/HTML changes I make to the child theme under my super admin/admin will affect this template/site and all other sites under the network, seeing that I am utilizing the same template.

I'm not sure I understand this, you will have access to change the content on your blog template but all CSS changes made to theme files will be affecting all sub sites using that theme.

Is it possible to have CSS/HTML changes that will affect only the new blog template and subsequent sites?

You can use plugin I mentioned before https://wordpress.org/plugins/simple-custom-css/
    You can now add custom CSS to your template sub site directly in admin section in Appearance > Custom CSS and then that plugin and it's settings will be transferred to new sub sites, and now you can go to each new sub site and add more custom CSS that will affect only that site.

Hope this clears things up :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Predrag

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.