[New Blog Templates] New Blog Template Not Copying over Taxonomies

We are running New Blog Templates in our environment to allow users to create new blogs with specific themes and settings.

Our environment includes a multi-site, multi-network installation running WordPress v4.9.6 with PHP 7.1.1 on RHEL with Apache 2.4.

We store all our templates in the root network (wp.odu.edu) and use New Blogs Template for users to create sites on other networks using them.

This has worked really well until recently when we were trying to track which templates were used most. We added both Tags and Categories to the template sites. We also went into the New Blog Template and made sure that the check box for tags and categories was checked to copy them over to new sites.

We ran a number of tests with various templates and the tags & categories are not being copied over to the new sites.

Any suggestions?

• David

James,

Thanks, I have provided access through the WPMU Dev support console for 5 days.

I also left a note one example
    If you look at wp.odu.edu/mind-the-gap-template it is one of our templates that has taxonomies added (tagtemplate)

Using New Blog Templates for creating new sites with this template loses the Tag. We are storing all templates on one network (wp.odu.edu) and creating sites with them on other networks. In this case sites.wp.odu.edu/mindthegap-tagtesting is one that was created using New Blog template.

thanks
    Dave

Dave

• James Morris

Hello David

Unfortunately, Support Access does not seem to be working correctly on your site at this time. In order to save time and get to a solution as quick as possible, would you please grant me access to your site and server so I can perform some advanced debugging?

NOTE: Please make a full backup of your site before sending the following information.

Please visit the Contact page and complete the form with the following information:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question

Option: I have a different Question

Subject: "Attn: James Morris"

In the Message box, please provide the following:

- link back to this thread for reference
    - any other relevant urls

- Admin login:
    Admin username
    Admin password
    Login url

- Hosting Control Panel Login
    Admin username
    Admin password
    Login url

~OR~

- FTP credentials
    host
    username
    password
    (and port if required)

Best regards,

James Morris

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Dave,

I was testing NBT on my installation and transfer of Tags and Categories worked fine for me so it seems this issue is specific to your installation.

We added both Tags and Categories to the template sites. We also went into the New Blog Template and made sure that the check box for tags and categories was checked to copy them over to new sites.

Just to be clear on this part, you're referring to Tags and Categories assigned to your posts, is that correct?
    For example, on your template site you have Sample Post that has Category1 and Tag1 assigned to it, but when you create new subsite from that template then Sample Post is copied without any tags and categories assigned?

I also have a question about this part that you mentioned:

Using New Blog Templates for creating new sites with this template loses the Tag. We are storing all templates on one network (wp.odu.edu) and creating sites with them on other networks. In this case sites.wp.odu.edu/mindthegap-tagtesting is one that was created using New Blog template.

NBT is meant to be used on the same network, so if you have domain.com as your main site you can have domain.com/template/ as template subsite and then you can create domain.com/subsite/ that is based on domain.com/template/
    However, what I understand is that you actually have domain.com where all the template subsites are created, and then you have different network installation at sub.domain.com and you're creating sub.domain.com/subsite/ which uses data from domain.com/template/, is that indeed the case?
    If yes, could you provide us with some more information on how did you connect these two networks and configured NBT to pull data from the first network?

Best regards,
    Predrag

• David

I'm back and thanks for the information.

Let me see if I can provide some additional info.

Essentially, we are using templates for different types of courses. i.e. We created a template that is used by all History students, one that is used by all English students.

As students use the different templates, we were looking for a way to track how many sites were created with each of the templates.

As I noted, we have a multi-site, multi-network installation. We host all the templates in the root network (wp.odu.edu). We have subdomains fs.wp.odu.edu (for faculty and staff), student.wp.odu.edu (for all students) and sites.wp.odu.edu (for all other sites, research etc).

When students create a new site, NBT would use the template on wp.odu.edu/newtemplate/ and create a new site on student.wp.odu.edu/newstudentsite. So yes, this would be creating across networks (subdomains).

We have tried adding tags and categories in different places to see what would work. We have gone into a post default post and added them from the post editing page. We have also added them from the site admin menu (Posts > Categories or Sites > Add new) But do not see them come across to the new sites.

Let me test creating a site on the same network. if they come across there, it would be the network boundary that may be causing the issue.

Thanks for the feedback.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello David,

Thank you for your response and additional explanation.

I'm afraid that New Blog Templates plugin was not created with Multi-Network setup in mind. I never tested it in such configuration, neither I've seen it used that way so far so all I'm afraid I cannot confirm that it should be working. It might but it's possible that some issues will occur as "Multi-Network" slightly changes the way WP works.

Since you mentioned that you will test how it works for you within the same network, please do and let us know about results as this should confirm whether the issue here is indeed related to Multi-Network setup or we need to look for some other cause of the problem.

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.