New Blog Templates not working 100% when many users register

Hello,

I'm having some issues with user registration. I have several educational Multisites that I run for students. I have Buddypress installed on the main site and each student get his/her own e-Portfolio site from a default template I have created.

My problem is when I have several students, as many as 45, signing up at the same time (during class) not all the registration goes properly.

Most of the students things work well and they get the site just as they should. Other times I get a variety of issues:
- Template doesn't load and the student gets a basic Twenty fifteen template. (I then have to clone the template to the students site)

- Students will get a site but won't be registered on the main site (buddypress). This will not allow the student to login on the main site.

- Student won't get a site. (not 100% sure if they are registering properly, but it's happening a fair bit)

- password will not work. (I believe this is due to not getting register properly on the main site.)

I hope you can help. I have 4 high school classes (25 students in each class) this week and next. I have 5 College classes registering tomorrow and next week. (15-40 depending on the class)

Any help is appreciated.

jayjay

• Milan

Hello @jayjay,

I hope you are having a good day and thanks for asking us. :slight_smile:

It seems to me that its more like hosting related issue. You've said that you've several educational Multi-site running. Does it happens to all of theme or its just on one ? Are they all multisite's on same server ?

To investigate better can you check your server log ? Also please do enable debugging mode on yoru site. For this you'll need to go to your root WP installation folder and edit wp-config.php

In there you should be able to see this line of code:

define( 'WP_DEBUG', false );

Now just change false to true so it looks like this:

define( 'WP_DEBUG', true );

You can find additional info here:
    https://codex.wordpress.org/WP_DEBUG

Furthermore if you want to simplify your process of user registration and creation of sites then you can use our this product Batch Create. Batch Create lets you create hundreds or thousands of sites and users all at once.

Let me know what you got with these all suggestions.

Thanks & Kind Regards,
    Milan Savaliya.

• jayjay

Hello Milan,

I have 10 different Multi-sites running. The largest being 1000 students and the smallest being a around 25.

It has happened to other themes in the past, but I have only one default theme I am using now. The student does not get a choice. The theme is Divi by Elegant Themes.

Yes, all the sites are on the same server. (A2Hosting.com)

I'm not sure what I'm looking for in the service log or in the debug mode. Any guidance would be appreciated with that.

Thanks,

jayjay

• Milan

Hello @jayjay,

Hope you are doing well and sorry for being late here.

First of let me clarify your confusing about our Batch Create plugin.

Can you create a pre designed template and use that as a default template? Like how the new blog template works.

No you can't actually. :slight_frown: Currently Batch Create plugin supports new site creation with information like 1) Site name 2) Site title 3) User name 4) User Password 5) User Email 6) User Role. In addition to above information you can set Pro Sites levels if you are using our Pro Sites plugin.

Now let's move on to your main issue. :slight_smile:

Like you said, its happening on all of your multisite and all of your multisites are using same hosting provider which means there must be some issue with server itself in terms of max number of concurrent connections.

It may be possible that your server is configured such a way that it supports very low concurrent connections. Please contact your hosting provider and tell theme to allow server satisfy some more number of concurrent connection. You can describe your this scenario to them for more information as it seems to me this will help them to decide proper limit for concurrent connections.

I hope this helps you and have a fantastic day! :slight_smile:

Thanks & Best Regards,
    Milan Savaliya.

• jayjay

Hi @Milan,

Thanks for getting back to me. I put a request in to upgrade my server to a managed VPS. I'm hoping this will solve the problem. I will ask them about Concurrent Connection.

I believe you are correct with it being a server issue. I was in the class on Friday and we were getting kicked from loading the pages because we were using too many resources.

Can I ask your opinion on this, we only had maybe 25 students in the lab on the site at 1 time. Would this cause the connection issues. We maxed out on the I/O Usage (2500 / 2500 KB/s). Would this be the root problem of all my issues?

This will be great if it solves my problems.

Thanks for all the info.

Jay
    @Milan

• jayjay

Hey @Milan,

just to give you an update. I've changed to a managed VPS and things are getting setup. I will know tomorrow if this works.

I did ask about max number of concurrent connections and he said that I had a limit of 35. Now I have unlimited and I shouldn't have any issues.

I guessing this will take care of the registration problems and connections issues.

Thanks for the help and I will let you know how the registration goes.

jayjay

• jayjay

Here's an update. We ran into a bit of a problem with connecting after the upgrade. It turned out the server had a security measure in place where it limited the number of connections from one IP address. Since we had 30 students accessing the site from the school computer lab the server was shutting down.

We increased the number of connections allowed and everything worked very well. I'm getting 2 more class signing up in two weeks. So I will know for sure if there is any problems with the students all registering at the same time from the same IP address.

I don't believe we will have any problems and I will keep you posted on the results.

Thanks to everyone who helped me out with this. Much appreciated.

Jay

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.