New Blog Templates - Plugin overwrites new templates when using same starting theme

Hi,

What I'm looking to do is to create a library of template options that all contain the same dummy content but have different designs. It seems to me that it would be by far the most efficient way to do this to start with a single master site and to switch themes, creating a new blog template for each theme. The problem I'm running into is that when I try and do this the new blog template I create overwrites the first one, even though I give it a different name and description. Am I doing something wrong? What would be the most efficient way to go about this?

Thank you!

- Scott

• Michael Bissett

Hey @TunePipe, hope you're doing well today! :slight_smile:

The problem I'm running into is that when I try and do this the new blog template I create overwrites the first one, even though I give it a different name and description.

How are you going about the creation of each new blog template? Could you elaborate on that please?

Personally, one way I would go about doing this would be to create each new site separately first (setting up the theme & other things first), and then using our Multisite Content Copier plugin to copy the default content to each site:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/multisite-content-copier/

Please advise,
    Michael

• Michael Bissett

Hey @TunePipe, my apologies for the extreme delay here!

That being the case what I'm trying to do is to use one master install to copy from. I install a theme and then create a blog template from that. Then I install a new theme and create a new blog template from that and so on.

Forgive me if I'm missing something, but I'm still not sure that I'm following your method. Picking this apart:

That being the case what I'm trying to do is to use one master install to copy from.

Okay, you're wanting to use a single subsite as a base for creating other templates, so it sounds like.

I install a theme and then create a blog template from that.

You install a theme on the master subsite and then... create a subsite on the network (using that template), and then have that newly created subsite be it's own template?

Then I install a new theme and create a new blog template from that and so on.

You install a new theme on the master subsite, and then repeat the process mentioned in the previous paragraph?

If all of that is true (and you're more than welcome to correct me on that)... then while I'm not certain why it is it'd be acting up like this (a template edited after a site's been created with it shouldn't affect the sites that were previously created with it), wouldn't a simpler method be to use our Cloner plugin to clone the master subsite multiple times:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/cloner/

And then change the theme inside of each cloned site? Since each site has the exact same demo content, it would make the creation of each of these sites a lot faster. Then you could just make each of these sites it's own template site. :slight_smile:

Please advise,
    Michael

• TunePipe

Hi Michael,

If I'm understanding correctly then you're adding an extra step to my process. What I'm doing is using one single subsite to create the templates from. I simply change the theme on the subsite, set that as a template and repeat. That seems much more efficient to me than having to create a new subsite for each template. I'm getting the impression though that this can't be done. Is that correct? Do I need to create a new subset for each template I create?

Thanks!

- Scott

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.