New Development: Multisite+Marketpress; Events; and Directories

Hey Guys,

So I am on my first multisite ,possibly multi-multisite, development and have some questions for you guys.

General Concept:

1. MarketPress: My general network theme is going to be based off of marketpress allowing users to have their own stores.

The multisite will be the home domain and each store will have a subdirectory.

No questions here, yet. :wink:

2. Directory: I want to add directories. I have three main categories that each have an additional 50+ categories.

My problem here is I can't decide whether or not to make this a subdomain to my home domain or create a subfolder for this section as well.

Again, In this area of my network I will have three main categories and fifty plus sub-categories.

If I make my directories section a subdomain should/can I make it a personal in-house multisite having three directory sites as subfolders all running the Directory Plugin, Each site dedicated to its own niche, or just run it as one installation?

Am I over thinking this or overlooking something that may be easier?

3. Events: I want an Events area so users can pay to advertise.

This area will be limited to one general event type, but will have ten to fifteen categories.

I want it to be separate with its own listing and payment area.

Should I create a subdomain here since it is an additional revenue stream and many people not using marketpress may want to utilize this part of my network without having a marketpress store.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Or, should I be building all this as one complete site with different user capabilities?

Thanks guys.

• PC

Hiya,

Greetings and thanks for posting on the forums.

2. Directory: I want to add directories. I have three main categories that each have an additional 50+ categories.

My problem here is I can't decide whether or not to make this a subdomain to my home domain or create a subfolder for this section as well.

Again, In this area of my network I will have three main categories and fifty plus sub-categories.

If I make my directories section a subdomain should/can I make it a personal in-house multisite having three directory sites as subfolders all running the Directory Plugin, Each site dedicated to its own niche, or just run it as one installation?

Am I over thinking this or overlooking something that may be easier?

Your Multisite will either be subdomain or subdirectory multisite. So in order to keep things simple, I will suggest you to have the directory site as a sub site on your network.

First of all you will have to understand a clear picture on what a multisite is. Its a collection of multiple sites (subdomain OR subfolder) running on a single WordPress install.

So if you are looking to have a network of directory sites inside your multisite network, then you will need to use a plugin like : http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/networks-for-wordpress/

3. Events: I want an Events area so users can pay to advertise.

This area will be limited to one general event type, but will have ten to fifteen categories.

I want it to be separate with its own listing and payment area.

Should I create a subdomain here since it is an additional revenue stream and many people not using marketpress may want to utilize this part of my network without having a marketpress store.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Or, should I be building all this as one complete site with different user capabilities?

What kinda advertising are you offering ? Are you looking for people to pay you for creating events on your site ?

Or are you looking to create events and sell tickets ?

Events plus is a plugin used to sell event tickets on your site. If you are looking to offer classifieds, you should consider the Classifieds plugin.

You can have it as a separate subsite on your multisite network.

I hope that helps. Please feel free to ask if you have more questions on the same and I will be around.

Cheers, PC

• purged

PC Thanks for the response.

I am new to this for sure so if you don't mind let me explain what I am trying to do.

Currently, I have traffic of 100-250 unique clients a month all looking to sell me small quantities of high dollar items, and I have another 200-350 people a month requesting for items I don't have.

A real catch twenty-two because I am a buyer of these items, and have a market to resale to. But, I cannot purchase everything because either the profits aren't good enough, or the cost to profit ratio is to risky. And, I cannot advertise these products because I will be giving clients away for free.

Both clients however are seeking a meeting ground and willing to pay.

A-The clients looking to liquidate want a "home base" to sell from throughout the year(I figure Marketpress stores), and want a place to market their offline auctions (events directory).

B- The buyers want to be listed in a easy to use format (I'm thinking a Directory), and are willing to pay to be listed.

How would you set this up?

I want to charge the store owners a recurring fee and no commissions because the buyers often inspect items before purchase in person and often pay at the facilty.

ie Store User Levels

Basic - 1 to 10 items in store a month for X dollars a month.
    Medium - 11-30 Items a month for XX dollars a month
    Pro - 31-75 items a month for XXX dollars a month

ie Event Directory

Per category cost, monthly and yearly listing fees

ie Enduser Directory

Some of these companies may not want an online presence, but will want to advertise their offline events to my audience.

• PC

Hiya,

Thanks for the detailed info and sorry for the delay, I was away for a family wedding.

How would you set this up?

I want to charge the store owners a recurring fee and no commissions because the buyers often inspect items before purchase in person and often pay at the facilty.

ie Store User Levels

Basic - 1 to 10 items in store a month for X dollars a month.
    Medium - 11-30 Items a month for XX dollars a month
    Pro - 31-75 items a month for XXX dollars a month

ie Event Directory

ie Enduser Directory

Some of these companies may not want an online presence, but will want to advertise their offline events to my audience.

I would go with Pro Sites and create multiple levels.

I can restrict the usage of plugins and themes for different levels and so as I can put limits on custom post types like page, post, listings, products etc.

So I can setup that level 1 can only publish 10 products and if they need more, they need to upgrade the account to next pro level.

Please note that there is only one level of filter. So if the person upgrades to next level the limit is removed. So it can not be done like x for 1 level ; y for 2 level and z for 3 level.

Its like x for 1 level and unlimited for 2 level.

Event directory is not a plugin we offer. Its events plus. If you want to use that plugin, you can restrict the number of events they can create in the same way as you can do for products. The same can be done for Listings (Directory plugin) and Classifieds etc.

I hope that helps. Please feel free to ask if you have more questions on the same.

Cheers
    PC

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.