New Directory plugin – version 2.0 Beta

Hello all,

I release the beta version 2.0 of the Directory plugin. (attached)

After setup you will see tab “Listings” in admin menu, where you can create New Category/Tags/Listing and choose some settings.

And also you need activate theme “Directory Theme New 1.1”

About changes:

Them very much. This version is not similar on the previous – it is better :slight_smile:

It’s recommended that you play with this on a local/development install initially.

If you experience any problems, let me know below.

Best Regards,

Andrey

New Directory v2.0.0 Beta 2

– Added page of Sign in

– Added Logout button

– Some changes on Settings page

New Directory v2.0.0 Beta 3

– fixed file upload

New Directory v2.0.0 Beta 5

– fixed JS problem for rating script

– fixed button text on sign in page

New Directory v2.0.0 Beta 6

– Added transition from v1.x to v2.x

– Fixed problem with choice the PayPal Live mode

– Added feature for Enable/Disable of Recurring/One-time payments

– Fixed problem with Permalink

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Woo hoo!

Nicely done Andrey. Looking forward to member feedback here. This is still a beta so now’s the time to really put it through it’s paces and report how it’s working for ya so we can have a clean release.

Thanks in advance everyone!

• AmyBrucker
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Thanks guys. I’ve installed the Beta and for some reason can’t “Assign capabilities.” There’s a spinning wheel indicating the software is processing something, but when I select “Directory Member” or any other option and click “save changes” nothing happens except I get “security check failed.”

Any ideas of what could be wrong?

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya folks,

@avonnes – the issue with making classifieds and directory work together now is about user roles. Each plugin assigns a specific user role in order to give folks the capability to do a specific task. So installing both plugins on one site you’ll have ‘classified’ and ‘directory’ user roles – but not one for both.

The easiest way to do both would be to give ‘classifieds’ users the directory capabilities from within the directory plugin settings.

@james_trig we’re aware of some styling issues with BuddyPress and will have this fixed up before the final release. Thanks.

@amybrucker – it means that the login is failing the wpnonce check. Can you try logging out, clearing your browser cookies and giving it another shot?

@maxxannik – Please activate the included directory theme. It has the homepage setup to show the directory categories by default. We are working on better BuddyPress integration as well.

Thanks!

• Renaissance Media

Will this version come with more themes, or have a greater ability to use other themes? We are trying to build a multi-site directory with a flexible custom theme (built on Thesis). It’s an AWESOME plug-in and we’re really looking forward to using it.

Best,

Nissa

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

@Nissa – you can use this with other themes now. You’ll have to make custom template pages within those themes (just like you would for any custom post type) but it is now much more user-friendly. There are also several different styles included (no new ones though – same 5 or 6 as last time).

@member1 we have a demo here: http://thewpdirectoryplugin.com/

You can only view the front end though. We don’t have a live demo with access to the admin.

Thanks!

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya Amy,

Are there directions somewhere on how to integrate the beta version into a theme other than the one that comes with it?

Not yet. The places to look are in the directory/core/template-tags.php file and use the default theme as an example.

So to pull in the categories and display the 4 most recent of each you could use the following:

<?php the_dr_categories_home(); ?>

The rest of the functions can be done the same way you’d do any custom post type:

http://codex.wordpress.org/Post_Types#Template_Files

• Arne
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

In this beta version there is no menu Directory in the backend like in Version 1.x, correct? I would like to set up my directory by Selecting Import Taxonomies and Import Custom Fields. The selection of Import Taxonomies & Import Custom Fields is no longer available in the Settings, only the menu Listings in this beta version, right?

How can I import taxonomies and Custom field? By including other Plugins?

I’m impressed: in this version you fixed access-right – great Work!

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya Arne,

The new version isn’t backwards compatible with 1.x – a necessary step in fixing up quite a few things. Are you wanting to import old listings or a different post type? I’ll ask Andrey what can be done for this.

Thanks!

• fitoussi
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Hi,

i am testing the plugin now but i am a little confuse with categories. in the demo site there are categories “Art” , “Home ” ,”Business”… ? and under each categories are the sub categories “Galleries” , “Photography” ? cause when i am creating a category and under that category i create sub categories, in the home page i see the category and only its first sub-category and i also see the listing under that subcategory. make sense?

also,

i want to add more functions to my site. for example i want to add fields like “zip code” and “city” and then filter listing by those fields? probably not something very easy to do but as long as it is possible im fine.

thank you

• Eugene
    • Staff

I tested “New Directory plugin – version 2.0 Beta” on a sub directory install. My main site that is running Blogs MU Child Theme. When I went in to Blogs MU Child Theme Options, the tabs were not working. Disabling “New Directory plugin – version 2.0 Beta” corrected this error.

• fitoussi

HI,

why can’t i edit the templates-tag.php ? i am trying to modify “the_dr_categories_home()” function but after editing and saving the file every-time i am trying to update a post i get the error ” headers already sent”. it happens even if my modification is good and works on the site and even if i undo the changes and save it. the only way i can remove the error is to copy the original file from the zip file into my directory plugin folder.

• fitoussi

Hi James,

i have been using notepad to do so. i am using filezilla and when i edit a file the default program that opening the file is notepad. i have always been doing it this way and never got it happened to me. this is weird.

• Arne
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

masonjames, thank you for your support and hi Andrey,

what i found amazing at version 1, was the integration and easy including of custom field. This is unfortunately no longer available in the new version.

Now I have a question:

Is it possible in this New Directory plugin – version 2.0 Beta to integrate Custom Field, by installing the Custom Field Template-plugin?

Plugin-URL: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/custom-field-template/

That would be great!!

Best greetings

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

@fitoussi – great! The syntax highlighting alone makes a great editor like Notepad++ worth it – and yeah, it does a better job with file editing as well. Glad you got it sorted :slight_smile:

@arne, I’ve not tested that specific plugin, but it should work. I’ll discuss with Andrey about ways we can add this back – but you also could probably use our CustomPress plugin to add a custom field to the directory_listing post type only. Just make sure the directory plugin is active first so CustomPress will recognize the post type.

Thanks!

• fitoussi

Hi,

i hope you guys don’t mind that i am making a suggestion for the directory plugin. i opened this topic https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/rating-in-widget few days ago about using the rating system more then once in a page which cannot be done without hacking the code. i tried to use it with the recent posts widget but i gave up as it is not an easy task to do. Now i realized that i cannot do it also in the search results excerpts from the same reason. i think this is very important and many people are looking at the ratings of the places which help to decide which service to choose (i am pretty sure that for most of us the first click is on the listing with the best rating). i though it will be great feature for the final release of this great plugin.

• danustu

Hello,

I have noticed that it has a conflict with studio theme. I cannot access theme options. I have installed it on wordpress multisite. However, I use it just on one site while others are normal blogs.

Thanks,

• Danny

Hmmm, looking at this, I am gonna have a little play with it.. Firstly though, can this not be provided as a plugin like the classifieds plugin.. I have my theme and am happy with it, I would like to plug this into my site, not plug my site into this :wink:

Cheers,

Danny.

• Danny

Does not work in wordpress multi-site installation as a single blog plugin.. Sorry didn’t check the network activate..

Directory didn’t show up on left hand side wp bar..

Also.. Is the plugin (either 2 beta or 1.07) meant to change the appearance of the site with its own custom theme???

If so, 1.07 is not doing this on either wordpress multi-site installation as a single blog plugin or as a network activated plugin……

Latest wordpress, no buddypress, Twenty Eleven 1.2 theme…

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya Danny,

You don’t have to use the theme. We provide one for folks who wanna get one setup quick and easy. The included theme pulls those post types and displays them for you. However, it’s totally not required. You’ll simply need to create some page templates based on your current theme.

This would be done very similarly to the way you would with our CustomPress plugin, so it may be worth taking a look at those installation instructions:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/custompress/installation/

And there are plenty of tutorials to help walk you through the process. Basically you copy one of your themes template pages, rename it and add the custom post type information and you’re finished.

http://www.wpbeginner.com/wp-tutorials/how-to-create-a-custom-post-types-archive-page-in-wordpress/

• Simcoeartists

Hi All: I installed the theme and directory plugin a couple weeks ago. Today I noticed my homepage is out of commission. It used to look like this http://thewpdirectoryplugin.com/ now it looks like this http://directory.orilliabusiness.com/

Somehow the linking to directory listings has disappeared?

Any Ideas?

Thanx

Rob

EDIT: I also appears as though I lost 40 hours work? All my listings data (custom fields) disappeared completely.

• Simcoeartists

Yes Phil, I am using the one shown at the top of this thread. Originally I was using the older version. Today I upgraded and everything seems to have fallen to pieces. Can I (should I) revert back to the other version? I don’t want to throw away about 40 hours of data entry.

Thx

Rob

EDIT I have reverted back to the old version. All my custom fields are present again …whew :slight_smile:

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hi Rob,

Unless you’re using this to test out the new plugin you should revert back to the original version. As it’s a beta it’s not ready for use on production sites.

I will also add though that the problems you’re seeing are likely to be plugin conflicts.

Phil

• Kruzen

Is it possibel to extend the bulk create to add categories, and then use blog templates, with directory to mass create directory networks?

I would like to build a site with sub-site directories with unique categories for each but it would be very laborous to go through and build out each one individually.

• roobarb

Hi – I’ve just been looking at the demo site and it looks great.

Before I download it and install it, I’ve just got a quick question.

I need to be able to set-up different custom fields for each category – so for example restaurants will need to ask for ‘opening hours’ and ‘menu price ranges’, where as places to stay will need elements like ‘off street parking’ or ‘disabled access rooms’.

I looked at the installation instructions and see I can set-up custom fields, but I’m still not sure if this will be at the category level.

Can you advise if this is possible?

Also, is there an option to ensure administrators have the ability to approve a listing that has been entered online before it goes live?

Another great job tho guys!

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya,

@john you could use a custom page template. Just check the included theme for the functions it uses and then add them to your own theme.

@roobarb It doesn’t provide for custom fields specific to each category. This article explains how you could accomplish this though:

http://en.bainternet.info/2011/custom-taxonomies-extra-fields

As to moderation, if you’re not using the directory plugin’s signup or user roles, then you could use the contributor user role so that folks could create – but not publish – the listings.

Otherwise, you may be able to take away this capability from the directory_member role through plugins like Capability Manager or Role Scoper, but I don’t know that this has been tested.

Let us know how it goes for ya.

• signo
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hello i am looking for a directory plugin and this one looks promissing for mi site. i have about 3000 entries to upload, is there a bulk upload utility for this, if not could you provide the sql structure and relations that this plugin uses so i could write my own sql query to do the bulk upload? Doing all the entries by hand is not an option.

• signo
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

I really need an answer on this issue. I am assuming that the bulk upload utility is not available, could you please provide the sql structure and relations that this plugin uses so i could write my own sql query to do the bulk upload?

• dlittle800
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hello Andrey,

I have an idea for improving the Directory plugin.

I am creating a local business directory and thought it might be a good idea to widgetize part of each members page (maybe possibly offer a selection of widget layouts).

The Supporter plugin could then be used to sell access to more and more plugins to Directory users.

With this capability, the Directory plugin would have a huge selling feature since it would help WPMU members make more money.

Is this possible?

Thanks, Derek

• dlittle800
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

After adding a a test user and trying to “Add Listing” or “Go To Profile,”

I get the message…”You do not have sufficient permissions to access this page.

I changed Network Admin Setting to “User accounts may be registered.”

What haven’t I done? Are there other permission settings somewhere?

Thx.

• dlittle800
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

What I’m wondering is how would wordpress identify each user’s widgets with their directory listing.

For example, on most of my websites I use widget logic now to assign a widget to a particular page ID. How would directory plugin do that automatically?

• fitoussi

HI Dlittle800,

try to go to listings –> settings . in settings you’ll have a top menu “General Settings | Capabilities | Advertising”. go to “Capabilities” and over there you can choose the permissions for each user role.

• Kruzen

So, I’ve noticed i’m not the only one.

You guys changed the basic display functionality between versions.

In the last version you could display categories like this:

http://thewpdirectoryplugin.com/

Now, it shows how many listings are in each category AND it shows posts titles per category as well..

What would we change in the code to show just parent categories and only show categories and sub-categories and not their posts?

Also, are we now supposed to be using Custompress to add in custom field content?

• Kruzen

Where is dr_categories_home defined so we can modify how it displays?

user@system:~/Desktop/wordpress/wp-content/themes/default$ grep dr_categories *.*

home.php: <?php the_dr_categories_home(); ?>

This is the only reference in the codebase to it, so apparantly I’m missing something..

• Kruzen

Also.

I’m having trouble using custompress.

I’m adding the slug custompress gives me to loop-single.php and when I add custom content or make a new post, it’s not showing up.

Does directory have some caching or something?

edit: It’s not even really specific to custompress. i can’t even put in junk text into loop-single.php and have it show up

• Kruzen

All I have is colors.php, core.php and options. php (that’s all that’s in either Beta zip)

Was this supposed to be installed over top of the original?

edit: Interesting. I guess my install was only half loaded. My zip I grabbed didn’t have all the files, but had most of them :slight_smile: Interesting how it’s been limping along!

edit2: Okay now I’m really feeling tired and dumb.. Guess I have to edit the plugin files, not the theme files directly.

Kind of backwards.. Not sure why editing the theme files isn’t making any site changes.

edit3: So this taken into consideration. where should I be putting custompress modifications, in the template-tags.php or in the theme itself?

• dlittle800
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

RE: user permissions problem

Under Capabilities on the Settings page, I gave access to “view, add, and edit” to every type of user role… but still, users cannot access their profile or add a listing.

http://orangebook.ca/burlington/

Here’s the message I keep getting “You do not have sufficient permissions to access this page.”

What is the default user role anyway? Do I need to set this somewhere?

• fitoussi

you can set it individually for each user or you can use a plugin (as much as i know). when i registered to Burlington site i got that problem you mentioned . but when i registered to your main site i had access to the dashboard so i guess it has something to do with the directory plugin. i guess one of the experts here can help you more then i do.

• lorilr

@kruzen – I have a category “Food” and a sub-category “Bakeries” and a business called “Sugar Shack” in the Bakeries category.

screenshot

I wouldn’t expect the actual businesses to show up in the category listing. That will soon become unwieldy. Is this the problem you are trying to solve?

thanks

Lori

• Kruzen

@lorilr that’s the same problem I have. It seems ridiculous to list each business on there, it should be category only.

Has anyone tried adding custompress data? No changes I make to loop-single.php takes any effect on the page whatsoever and I can’t figure out why.

• lorilr

Is there any documentation on the template-tags.php? For those of us who know just enough to be dangerous but don’t immediately recognise what to do….

I was able to stop the actual businesses (posts) from appearing in the category list on the home page.

In each category, only one of the sub-categories is listed. Through guesswork, I changed a parameter and now I have 4 listed. But it looks like those are the only 4 in that category. How would you convey that there are more sub-categories? If I raise the number much above 4, the theme breaks.

screenshot

Thanks

Lori

• Kruzen

Archives pages not working for authors..

You are browsing the archive for tester.

Sorry, we can’t find the archive you’re looking for at this URL. Please try selecting a menu item from above or to the side of this message to get where you’d like to go.

• signo
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Looks like this Beta release is full of bugs – any news on when the next release is coming?

@dlitle800 in 100% of cases a beta release will be full of bugs. The idea is that only those that want to test new features or want to help debug the beta version install it, test it and report bugs to the developer. Never is a beta version intended to be installed in a production site. Hope this helps as a clarification.

• Kruzen

Small Bug..

If you cancel the paypal payment, it makes a user but they have no abilities. (Good).

Unfortunately, they have no way to try to pay again so that account can’t be upgraded without a manual payment (bad).

• ecogreen
    • Flash Drive

Error Message: “Security check failed”!

– WordPress Network

– Directory beta 2

– Super Admin allows registration

http://www.mysite.com/directory (as one of the additional sites)

– New install

Hi, I’m attempting to allow free Listings also.

> I should note, It is Network activated but I see no “Directory” in the left side box of the sites as I would expect.

I’ve gone to Listings > Settings > General > Capabilities…

Then ticked:

-View

-Add

-Edit

-Delete

When I click “Save Changes” I get the error message, “Security check failed”!

I get this error message no matter what role I choose. I also inactivated the Membership plugin from the Network, but it made no difference.

Any suggestions?? Thanks in advance.

• jamesmarsland
    • New Recruit

Clicking on categories on the front page grid gives this message

“Sorry, we can’t find the content you’re looking for at this URL. Please try selecting a menu item from above or to the side of this message to get where you’d like to go.”

Everything else seems to be working ok.

Any ideas?

Jamie

• fitoussi

Hi James,

i think you can do it by editing a core file. go to the plugin folder/Directory/Core and open template-tags.php. check around line 58 for the code:

if ( 4 > $count_items ) {
    $args = array(
    'numberposts' => '4',
    'post_type' => 'directory_listing',
    'listing_category' => $category->slug
    );

and change the number 4 to what ever you want.

• aapuri
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

I just joined WPMU dev and was pretty excited to add a business directory to my website, only to realise it’s not very simple to add the directory to a different theme :slight_frown:

I have a couple of questions i was hoping you can help with:

1. should i use the old plugin and make all customisation there, or wait till a stable version of the new version is released. Will it be possible to simply update the old version to the new one, or is it like a completely different plugin?

2. i’m not a developer and dont want to hire one to enable usage of the plugin with my own theme framework (headway). So is there any place I can get an easy, step-by-step tutorial to do this. the instructions i’ve seen on the forums so far are too general for me to understand :slight_smile:

thanks!

• lorilr

Aapuri

Why are you thinking of using the old version? It handles the theme the same way. Is there another issue?

From my experience with this plugin, you need to understand custom post types in WordPress before it makes sense. Basically this plugin automates the process of creating custom post types and gives you a theme to display the custom post types.

If you can look up some information about wordpress custom post types, it will help you see how the directory plugin works. I seem to remember quite a few good tutorials across the web on this topic. Sorry I didn’t save any links I can quickly point you to.

Lori

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya @aapuri,

If you’re having trouble integrating into your theme, the best bet is to open up a new thread on your particular issue. As other’s have already noted the theme is there to help you get up right away, but you don’t need to use it if you’re comfortable editing your own theme ( you can even use the included theme as a template to follow).

Thanks!

• UNIIMI

So in the old plugin I could change the name of the content type. I can’t find the place to do that in the beta. I think I had the old plugin activated and changed the name and now that I have deactivated that and installed the beta, it has the new name. I want to change it back. Do I have to deactivate the beta and re-activate the old plugin to make this change?

• Mark Winstein
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

New question – a coding associate of mine was looking over the Directory script. He runs his server in full error reporting mode — he said that Directory reported out a lot of non-fatal errors, warning messages you might say. What is your philosophy on these kinds of errors and warnings. Is this just a beta thing?

• Andrey

Hi Mark Winstein,

1. Please look below button of “Say thanks! Give this user points”:

“Posted on 13th September 2011 (1 hour ago) # 75.87.252.173 Edit Delete”

Are you see “Delete” link – if yes you can use it.

if no, I think you do not have access for do it.

2. I don’t know, maybe it related with other plugins.

Can you give me the list of these errors?

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

@uniimi, That’s happening because the body class being assigned to the front page of your theme is ‘home-page’ rather than ‘home’. This is likely due to having your Front Page displays under Settings>Reading in wp-admin set to something other than “Your latest posts”

Can you verify that for me please? If that’s not the case, let’s look at line 23 of the default theme’s header.php file and make sure it has the following:

<body <?php body_class() ?>>

Thanks

• UNIIMI

Checked and Front Page displays under Settings>Reading in wp-admin set to “Your latest posts” and line 23 reads:

<body <?php body_class() ?>>

I even tried saving the Settings>Reading page again just to be sure but now change.

• Atlanta
    • Syntax Hero

Suggestion… I have a directory script that did DMOZ import. It saves countless hours of data entry and gives the directory backfill entries to start off with. Is this possible?

Nice job…much cleaner than the older version. thx for the plugin.

• ecogreen
    • Flash Drive

Hi Atlanta, I have some concerns with this our directory.

I had the same interest of using DMOZ and import some base listings but I have concerns that Google will see them as duplicates from the DMOZ website and penalize us.

Does anyone know if it will cause a problem with Google? How can we add base listings and not get a penalty?

• Atlanta
    • Syntax Hero

@ecogreen

I think that even with Google’s most recent algorithm change you still don’t get punished, it just doesn’t raise your rank.

A site based on 100% regurgitated content won’t rank high, but if it incorporates listings from around the web with lots of fresh content it should be OK. A good example is Mashable’s job board…http://jobs.mashable.com/a/jbb/find-jobs. It feeds from SimpyHired but also has tons of original content. Their job board doesn’t get a page 1 rank but it is still a useful addition to the site.

• AlexF
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi, I’ve been trying to find a solution for quite a while now and getting very frustrated…

I have a few thousand listings that I want to post to the directory…. How can I do this without manually copy-pasting each listing?

• paulgregory
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi.

The question “1. should i use the old plugin and make all customisation there, or wait till a stable version of the new version is released. Will it be possible to simply update the old version to the new one, or is it like a completely different plugin?” by Aapuri seems not to have an answer other than “Why are you thinking of using the old version?”

It seems to me fairly obvious why someone might consider using version 1 rather than version 2, and that’s already come up in the thread. Version 2 is beta and not advisable for production use as it is expected to be full of bugs. Indeed, Aapuri talks of a “stable version of the new version”.

So, if I’m going to deploy this within the next week, am I better off using v1 or v2?

Also, which of the features that are in v1 but not v2 will be added before it comes out of beta?

• dchen
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

I suggest having more options into the plugin.

With the beta..

1. Add/Remove sign up feature.

2. Customizable sign up page.

3. Why is it that I’m getting “Advartise” in the header area. Should be spelled correctly.

4. Ad areas in both sides and bottom areas. While having the ability to have these turned on or off.

5. Capability to add Site Logo in title area.

I tried the old and new versions. Lots of improvements in the beta and a lot less confusing.

I know I’m asking too much but just this will extend its capabilities a lot more. :slight_smile:

• Moonworks
    • Code Wrangler

A Few questions, sorry if these are above but so much text and so little time :o)

Is there a free option? I don’t want to charge users for the service.

Is there a front-end method to add a listing?

What code do I add to my current theme (BuddyPress Community) to get everything working for the directory?

• paulgregory
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

I’m going to rephrase my question.

Imagine that I want to have a directory site that is actually live on the web, rather than something I’m just tinkering around with on a local server. Imagine that I want this to function now and for it to still function well in a year’s time.

Am I better off using v1 which apparently needs fixing, or v2 beta which apparently needs finishing?

Is using v1 a complete dead end, or will the FINAL v2 allow old data to be migrated? (I understand that the v2 beta does not use v1 data; it is unclear whether this is intended behaviour for the FINAL release).

• graphitewpmud

Hi –

Does this version change the earlier issue that permalinks cannot be changed?

After installing directory, this is what is the permalink for a post:

/listing/%post_name%

please notice in the format above, the word listings doesnt have the percentage sign – it stays the same throughout for all taxonomies.

My problem is I cannot break the URLs … there are thousands… still how can I change the permalink structure to be:

/%taxonomy%/%post_name%/

• paulgregory
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

OK, I’ve looked at both v2 and v1 and clearly the question of which to use is moot, as I want to charge per listing, not per site member.

Bug: as @joe says, if you reload the page after rating an entry, you can rate again ad infinitum.

Bug: Theme shows “Add Listing” link to logged-in users who do not have Add listings capability

Language: Text “Advartise Here” should be changed to “Advert Placeholder”.

Query: Is it desired behaviour that a Directory Member can post an unlimited number of listings, which would remain in place even after their subscription ends? Does everyone realise that this is what this does?

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya guys,

Been out for the past several days, so apologies for delayed responses.

@uniimi, we will have a conversion tool to upgrade to the 2.0 version with the final release. It’s currently in the works. We’ll have ya covered there :slight_smile:

@joe

Is there a free option? I don’t want to charge users for the service.

If you go to Listing Settings>Payment>Payment Type you can select the FREE option.

Is there a front-end method to add a listing?

Not at this point.

What code do I add to my current theme (BuddyPress Community) to get everything working for the directory?

The directory plugin includes a theme. I’d recommend taking a look at what it provides in directory/themes/default and perhaps even making your own theme as a child theme of Directory. You could also do it as a child theme of BP Community, depending on your desired outcome – both are going to take some custom development.

@paulgregory

Is using v1 a complete dead end, or will the FINAL v2 allow old data to be migrated?

You can use version one and we will provide for the ability to transfer the data on the release of version 2. If I were setting up my own directory site today, I’d go with version 2.

Bug: as @joe says, if you reload the page after rating an entry, you can rate again ad infinitum.

Bug: Theme shows “Add Listing” link to logged-in users who do not have Add listings capability

Language: Text “Advartise Here” should be changed to “Advert Placeholder”.

Thanks for that. We’ll get these sorted.

Is it desired behaviour that a Directory Member can post an unlimited number of listings, which would remain in place even after their subscription ends?

Not sure that’s the case, but will have our developer take a look. Again, thanks for your feedback.

@kruzen

Can you integrate this with Affiliate Plugin?

Won’t happen soon, but definitely would make a good feature request. You may look into the membership or marketpress plugins as they provide integration with our affiliate plugin. We also have a brief tutorial on the process here:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/integrating-the-affiliate-plugin-part-one/

Thanks!

• iaonp
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Is there any plan to make a more comprehensive entire theme for a directory – like directory press. I have this but would love to have one that is fully vetted here – i run into problems using it with some plugins.

• Dina
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

I really like the Directory plugin, but was wondering if I can use it inside another theme I already have, rather than be a separate directory website?

How can I use “Directory” as a Plugin so that it works within an existing theme and not as a totally separate site?

Kindly Reply.

Thank you!

• jphogbin

Hi,

I think many users would prefer a plugin that just adds directory functionality to an existing site rather than having to build a whole site around a plugin. It seems for people with existing sites it is actually easier to have something custom coded to add a directory.

Do you plan to make this directory plugin function as a normal plugin that just adds functionality rather than the current function where it seems to act more as a theme?

Thanks.

• Andrey

Hi Atlanta :slight_smile:

There are two roles of Directory Member: “Directory Member Paid” and “Directory Member Not Paid”.

Please check permission in “Listings->Settings->Capabilities” for these roles.

• tutuology
    • The Bug Hunter

Hi guys. I just opened a thread regarding my issues with Directory, but I pulled it over here b/c I think this is the right place to dicuss it. I am trying to put my directory payment settings to “Live” from “Sandbox” but it keeps kicking back to “sandbox”. The site I am working on is girlygirldirectory.com.

I just upgraded to beta 5 from the last stable release. My “submit listing” page no longer takes the person to the listing options and payment as it did with the previous version. Any ideas how to fix it?

also, I cannot figure out where/how to modify the “sign up” button. It is returning a 404/checkout page.

• Atlanta
    • Syntax Hero

@andrey.

I created some listings under Super Admin, then add a new user as Admin, logged in from a different browser as the Admin, but the Admin can’t edit the existing listings that the Super Admin entered. Is this how it is supposed to work?

My mistake. I didn’t set the role capabilities in Directory settings.

• Andrey

Hi tutuology,

Do you mean that it’s worked in the previous version beta 4?

BTW,

I see redirection from

http://girlygirldirectory.tutuology.com

to

http://girlygirldirectory.com

but the “Sign up” button has link on:

http://girlygirldirectory.tutuology.com/checkout/

Maybe it’s related with problem.

Which “Permalink Settings” are you use?

Please show me your .htaccess file or send it from contact form with mark in subject [for Andrey]:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

• tutuology
    • The Bug Hunter

@Andrey- No, I was previously using Membership 1.0.7. I just upgraded to beta 5 a few hours ago. Was having problems with the payment and sandbox issue also in 1.0.7, but the other things mentioned are new problems.

BTW,

I see redirection from

http://girlygirldirectory.tutuology.com

to

http://girlygirldirectory.com

yes, that is correct. It’s the only way I know to do it. It is a site I am developing under my main site, tutuology.com

but the “Sign up” button has link on:

http://girlygirldirectory.tutuology.com/checkout/

yes, I am aware of this, but I do not know how it happened…it was just that way automatically. I only installed the plugin. I did not create pages or buttons.

Maybe it’s related with problem.

Which “Permalink Settings” are you use?

using month and name

• Andrey

Hi @tutuology,

I think you mean Directory 1.0.7.

If yes, please return the Directory 1.0.7.

The v1.0.7 and v2.0.0 not compatible yet.

Don’t worry, I think you didn’t lost any data.

P.S.

Around 3 hours ago I finished write the function of transition from v1.0.7 to v2.0.0.

We test it with team right now.

I will release it here, soon :slight_smile:

• tutuology
    • The Bug Hunter

I think this is incorrect, but I know only enough to get myself in to trouble. Within directory theme, there is a php file named page-sign-up.php. Within that file is the following snippet of coding:

/**

* The template for displaying the Checkout page.

* You can override this file in your active theme.

* @package Payments

* @version 1.0.0

* @copyright Incsub 2007-2011 {@link http://incsub.com}

* @author Ivan Shaovchev (Incsub) {@link http://ivan.sh}

* @license GNU General Public License (Version 2 – GPLv2) {@link http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-2.0.html}

*/

???? Is this right?

• tutuology
    • The Bug Hunter

That’s ok, I don’t mean to be confusing :slight_smile: I was just scratching my head wondering why the sign up button is linked to a page called checkout. While digging, I noticed that my theme has the snippet of code I referenced above on the page-sign-up.php. It just doesn’t make sense to me that the code reads:

/**

* The template for displaying the Checkout page.

* You can override this file in your active theme.

Also, yes indeed – I meant Directory 1.0.7 :slight_smile:

• 3icreative
    • New Recruit

I installed the beta version @ directory.healthpsychnews.com. I had the previous version installed, and you could create custom fields. I uninstalled that version, deleted it – and then installed the new beta version. I cannot find where you create the custom fields anymore? I am not sure if it’s gone or something isn’t installed properly… It sounds like we should be able to based on the comments above… Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

• virtuallymarj

I was just advised to install the beta version rather than v1.0.7 to overcome the need for having to pay for listings. Since it was a brand new wordpress installation anyway, I dropped all the WP tables and reinstalled the application along with the latest beta version of the Directory Plugin.

Like @3icreative above, I’m noticing that there seems to be no *easy* way to create custom fields. Equally perturbing is that there seem to be no layout options.

My thought is that the beta version is not finished. Is this the case? If not, I’m back to my original question as to how to modify the working version so that payments are not mandatory.

• tutuology
    • The Bug Hunter

@virtuallymarj- Beta 2.0 is not finished. That’s why it’s still a beta release :slight_smile: I am in the same boat as all of you though….but with some different issues. Hoping a stable release comes out soon. With beta’s, the developers need us to use them because only through application and use can they find the bugs and make the update better for us. On the other hand, a lot of us are having issues with the beta that aren’t being addressed. Just hangin’ out here…in beta suspended animation :slight_smile:

• fitoussi

@creative,

the previous version of directory used to create the custom fields similar way the custompress plugin works. I think they removed it because of an issue it causes when the two plugins being installed. I personally use wordpress to create custm fields but I think if you’ll install custompress plugin you will be able to create the custom fields same as before.

• virtuallymarj

@tutology … Yeah, beta is beta :slight_smile:

@fitoussi … I have used custompress before and it was a “quick and dirty” way to implement custom field creation. WordPress internals knowledge had to be applied to display the fields in the loop though, as you are probably aware.

So, as we are all here empathizing … am I nuts or is the grid view gone?

• UNIIMI

Hiya virtuallymarj!

Thanks! Sorry, this thread is WAY too long and I haven’t been reading every post so I missed your question but I DO have the answer!

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/new-directory-plugin-version-20-beta#post-134363

Posted on 23rd September 2011 (2 weeks ago) #

FYI: to fix the UL issue I had to go into each css file and change .home to .home-page. Hopefully you can fix this in the next update.

BUT, that’s not what I’m doing on my site. I decided I wanted graphics so I created a page and then, under settings, assigned the Front Page to display my custom page.

Hope this all helps!

• UNIIMI

Has anyone tried to add BP code into the default theme? I am trying to put in the php if that checks whether a user is signed in and, if they are, echos “Hi user” else it echos the registration link.

Here is what I am adding to the file wp-content/plugins/directory/themes/default/components/searchcontainer.php:

<?php if (is_user_logged_in()) { ?>

<?php if( $bp_existed == 'true' ) { //check if bp existed ?>

<div id="li-user">

<div class="user-tab"><?php _e('Welcome back', TEMPLATE_DOMAIN); ?>, <?php bp_loggedinuser_link() ?></div>

</div>

<?php } else {

global $user_ID, $user_identity, $user_url, $user_email;

get_currentuserinfo(); ?>

<div id="li-user"><?php _e('Welcome back', TEMPLATE_DOMAIN); ?>, <a href="<?php echo site_url(); ?>/wp-admin/profile.php"><strong><?php echo $user_identity; ?></strong></a> / <?php $mywp_version = get_bloginfo('version'); if ($mywp_version >= '2.7') { ?> <a href="<?php echo wp_logout_url( get_site_url()); ?>"><?php _e('Sign out', TEMPLATE_DOMAIN); ?></a> <?php } else { ?> <a href="<?php echo site_url(); ?>/wp-login.php?action=logout" title="<?php _e('Sign out of this account', TEMPLATE_DOMAIN); ?>"><?php _e('Sign out', TEMPLATE_DOMAIN); ?></a> <?php } ?></div>

<?php } ?>

<?php } else { ?>

<?php _e("Already a member?",TEMPLATE_DOMAIN); ?> <a href="http://uniimi.com/wp-login.php?redirect_to=http%3A%2F%2Funiimi.com"><?php _e("Sign in here",TEMPLATE_DOMAIN); ?></a>. Otherwise, please <a href="http://uniimi.com/registration">register now</a>!

<?php } ?>

</div>

<?php } ?>

And I am receiving this error message:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ‘}’

What am I doing wrong? Can this code not go in the Directory theme?

• virtuallymarj

@uniimi … I implemented the fix you suggested and still do not have the grid layout on the default directory theme. I thought you (and readers of this thread) should know that.

I guess you must have done something else to make it work?

The files that I modified were:

boxed.css

gloss.css

home-grid.css

home-row.css

layout.css

minimal.css

modern.css

notextshadows.css

skinny.css

wide.css

• UNIIMI

I’ve checked again and the only files I modified were

boxed.css

home-grid.css

layout.css

And the only thing I changed was .home to .home-page.

Are you sure you uploaded your changes to the site after you made them in a text editor? Sorry for asking such stupid questions but usually it’s something tiny that we overlook.

Maybe try uploading once again and then going to the UI page and saving once again?

I know I changed things in the UI and then changed back. Maybe try that?

• virtuallymarj

Hi again, UNIIMI

I always upload changed files as a new name and rename the working versions so I have a fallback position when things don’t go as planned so, yes, I am sure that I uploaded them. I also tried disabling and reinabling the plugin after sending you the screen shot to “reset” things (SWAG and wild idea).

I saved the permalinks again …

In other words, I did all the “easy” to forget to do stuff.

Maybe I was overzealous in modifying all the CSS files but you did say “all” in your post … <grin>

• UNIIMI

Aw thanks. My site is restored but it is not using the Grid Layout. I had un-restored it so you could look and I’m happy to do it again if you like. My “restored” is to use a page for the front so that I can have more control.

• UNIIMI

@andrey Since this isn’t finalized yet, I’m just throwing out a feature request. Maybe you can fit it in now, maybe later. Can you put the user avatar on their listing page? I think, for sites that use the avatar across the network, that would be a nice touch.

Anyone else?

• virtuallymarj

I’m about to give up on this beta version. UNIIMI indicated that they were able to make the grid view work by renaming a CSS class in several files. I did that and it did not work.

Thinking that there may have been some “hangover” data in the database, I dropped all the tables and reinstalled wordpress. I then uploaded the plugin (with the modified style sheets) and enabled it in grid view. The grid view layout is NOT working on these cPanel servers. The site is hosted at JustHost.

WordPress v3.2.1

Single instance installation

The directory (beta) plugin is the only activated plugin

I want to ask again, and will renew my inquiry in the non-beta thread … how do I modify the functional plugin (which works with grid view) so that payments are NOT required?

• galaxy5

Thanks Andrey, just another question I', trying to get rid of the code tags underneath review however am having a tough time trying to locate the comment_template files to remove it.

Can you show where it is.

Thanks

JK

• Andrey

Hi JK,

it’s in WP”

wp-includescomment-template.php

line 1538 “comment_notes_after”

or in plugin:

wp-contentpluginsdirectorythemesdefaultcomments.php

line 67 comment_form( array(

you Should add value for array as

‘comment_notes_after’ => ”,

But I not recomend use any of those ways, because after update WP or the Plugin – you will need do it again.

You can write small plugin with code something like this:

add_filter( ‘comment_form_defaults’, ‘some_function’, 100 );

function some_function ( $defaults ) {

$defaults = ”;

return $defaults;

}

P.S. It was a quick sketch.

• Elle Billias
    • Flash Drive

I installed the beta too, had the admin capabilities problem which was fixed by logging out and clearing cookies – although this would need to be rectified before release!

How do I add extra fields that I would like submitted by the users?

Have you had a look at the free plugin WP Business Directory?

It allows fields to be created and also used custom post types but it’s not styled nicely out of the box and I also don’t believe it’s been updated in a while – maybe you could get some ideas from there though – it’s a little more user friendly!!

Is there a tiered option for pricing? Ie. Free, Featured, Premium listings?

User sign ups are disabled?

• Andrey

Hello all,

I uploaded the new version 2.0.0 Beta 6 with next changes:

– Added transition from v1.x to v2.x

– Fixed problem with choice the PayPal Live mode

– Added feature for Enable/Disable of Recurring/One-time payments

– Fixed problem with Permalink

You can download it on top of page or here

• HamRadioDude
    • HummingBird

Hi

Looking into working with this plugin to create a directory site with WP.

I have several and when I say several I mean 8 Link Directory Sites with phpLD and was wondering if there will be an option to import the link database from phpLD (phplinkdirectory.com) into the Directory Plugin. or even a option to import a CSV file from a DB dump of any directory script or link collection via CSV to the Directory plugin?

I have so many features that I would like to see implemented But I would link to migrate one of my directories links and categories over. one has 700 categories and the other 3400 categories.

one directory has 40,000+ links and the other 25,000+.

some of the features I would like to see also is

Refer a link

Claim a link

Report a link

• galaxy5

Tutuology

in the comments.php in directory/themes/default/comments

at the end use this code

<?php endif; // end ! comments_open() ?>

<?php endif; // end have_comments() ?>

<?php comment_form( array(
    'comment_notes_after' => '',
    'comment_field' => '<p class="comment-form-comment"><label for="comment">' . _x( 'Review', 'noun' ) . '</label><textarea id="comment" name="comment" cols="45" rows="8" aria-required="true"></textarea></p>',
    'must_log_in' => '<p class="must-log-in">' . sprintf( __( 'You must be <a href="%s">logged in</a> to post a review.' ), wp_login_url( apply_filters( 'the_permalink', get_permalink( $post->ID ) ) ) ) . '</p>',
    'id_form' => 'commentform',
    'id_submit' => 'submit',
    'title_reply' => __( 'Write a Review' ),
    'title_reply_to' => __( 'Write a Review to %s' ),
    'cancel_reply_link' => __( 'Cancel review' ),
    'label_submit' => __( 'Post Review' ),
    ) ); ?>

</div><!-- #comments -->

That should do the trick

• galaxy5

Does anyone know the PHP code to view all listings for logged in users.

For Example Click Button “View my Listings”

Opens up a page called “my-listings”

which uses the archive template called “user-listings”

I just need to know the PHP code so it pulls all listings/post by the user and then I can adjust the archive loop for it.

Thanks

• fitoussi

hi galaxy5,

i did the exact same thing that you want to do.

this is how the loop in my “my-listing” page looks like”

<?php query_posts( array( 'author' => $current_user->ID, 'post_status' => 'publish' , 'post_type' => array( 'directory_listing' )  ) ); ?>

<?php if ( !have_posts() ): ?>
    <div class="info" id="message">
    <p><?php _e( 'No Listings found.', 'directory_listings' ); ?></p>
    </div>
    <?php endif; ?>

<?php if ( have_posts() ) while ( have_posts() ) : the_post(); ?>
    <?php endwhile; ?>

• galaxy5

Hi Fitoussi,

Thanks for your help yet again.

I’ve made a file called author-archive.php in the default directory.

<?php /* Template Name: Author Archive Page
    */ ?>
    <html>
    <?php include (TEMPLATEPATH . '/customheader.php'); ?>

<?php query_posts( array( 'author' => $current_user->ID, 'post_status' => 'publish' , 'post_type' => array( 'directory_listing' ) ) ); ?>

<?php if ( !have_posts() ): ?>
    <div class="info" id="message">
    <p><?php _e( 'No Listings found.', 'directory_listings' ); ?></p>
    </div>
    <?php endif; ?>

<?php if ( have_posts() ) while ( have_posts() ) : the_post(); ?>
    <?php endwhile; ?>
    </div><!-- end #content -->

<?php get_footer() ?>

Placing that code for the page but all it comes up with is the header and footer and

…..

…..

….. …..

…..

….. …..

…..

….. …..

…..

…..

In the middle

I have several listings associated with my name but it is not listing any at all.

What am I missing?

Thanks

• fitoussi

Hi galaxy,

i am sorry but i wasn’t very clear. i put the “….” between the while and the endwhile just to let you know that this is where you want to put the code that display the listings. for example:

<div class="entry-content">
    <div id="listing-image">
    <a class="thickbox" title="<?php the_title(); ?>" href="<?php $src = wp_get_attachment_image_src( get_post_thumbnail_id($post->ID), array( 500,500 ), false, '' ); echo $src[0]; ?>"><?php the_post_thumbnail( array( 120, 120 ), array( 'class' => 'alignleft' ) ); ?></a>
    </div>

<div id="listing-info">
    <a href="<?php the_permalink(); ?>"><h1 class="listing-entry-title"><?php echo the_title() ; ?></a></h1>
    <div id="listing-des">
    <?php echo the_content() ?>
    </div><!-- listing description -->
    </div> <!-- listing info -->
    </div> <!-- entry-content -->

put the code above instead of the ‘…’ between while and endehile.

that is part of my code. it should display the image, title and the content of the listings.

try it see if it works

• Superhero 29
    • Deleted User

Hey Folks. I figured out what is happening. It is simply showing the latest activity for a given category.

So if I make a new listing in say Social Networks, it shows the sub-category that listing was made to AND a link to that listing. I am not sure if this is the desired behavior. I had thought it would just show the sub-categories with the count in each category. Which, makes more sense to me. Once I figure out the code I may play with it a bit.

• Andrey

Hi aoirthoir,

You can change it in the file /directory/core/template-tags.php

in line 39:

$args = …

‘hide_empty’ => 0, // 1 – for hide empty category

‘number’ => 1, //number of categories

….

and for display only categories – you can change the line 58 from:

if ( 4 > $count_items ) {

to

if ( 0 > $count_items ) {

In future I will add feature for change it on settings page of the plugin.

• rezults
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Blog Posts Are Not Displaying

Is this intentional by default or is there an issue with them not displaying?

I am trying create a standard blog post in the directory. The page loads but does not render properly and is blank. The code stops as shown below:

http://www.sfvlocal.com/2011/08/01/hello-world/

<div id=”container”><!– start #container –>

<div id=”content”><!– start #content –>

<div class=”padder”>

<div class=”page” id=”blog-single”><!– start #blog-single –>

<div id=”post-1″ class=”post-1 post type-post status-publish format-standard hentry category-uncategorized”>

<div class=”entry-meta”>

Anyone have a solution?

Thanks,

Bruce

• realsparks
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi there, just came across this plugin today and am trying to implement it within my existing BuddyPress theme (Salutation) as its own landing page. I know there was some insight into this towards the middle of the thread, but I am having trouble following the instructions. How do I accomplish this in easy to understand beginner steps? Thank you very much in advance, Matthew

• AndrewTraub
    • The Crimson Coder

How about adding the following:

Option to make a listing featured.

Ability to Enter company’s website on the signup.

Ability to add custom fields on signup which are then shown in the listing.

Ability to enter address on signup which is then shown in the listing with a google map.

Also, I put this on a blog in a directory and when I logged out and clicked on signup or sign in, it showed the home page of the main site instead (must have been a 404 error).

Andrew

• florenceachama
    • New Recruit

Hi,

two questions, I believe both have been asked but can’t seem to find an answer.

1) Is there an option for tiered billing e.g. free, standard and premium etc? If so, how do I set this feature up?

2) When will the stable version be ready for release?

Thanks in advance

• jongag1
    • The Crimson Coder

@sagar and @florenceachama In my case this plugin was the only reason for becoming an member of the WPMU Dev community.

As you can see in the topic there are quite some issues and wish-lists as well. So I don’t mind waiting a bit longer to have them included in the next release and I guess the developers are working hard on it for us!

• Kruzen

@mason,

I thought I would mention since I never got around to it, I know you’ve seen my affiliate thread around.

The main problem with that Guide, and with adding third party support to the theme, is there isn’t currently a good place to hook into for adding true affiliate support. It’s easy to segregate clicks vs signups, but the way that the payment system is currently handled, there’s no place to hook in AFTER payment is complete. That’s why I’m so eager to request a small amount of development be done for it. I know there’s been a lot of interest spread around, and I think with such a major release it only makes sense to integrate it in, especially seeing as it is such a quick edition for someone who is more experienced than I am :slight_smile:

• johnnymestizo
    • HummingBird

Hi

230+ posts for a beta release?

Andrey – Can you please specify which features are left to complete before production?

+1 for front-end form entries

+1 to integrate with Google Maps

+1 for a widget to display the top 5 latest/most/best/worst for the Directory CPT reviews

+1 integrate with Pro Sites so only Level X members can use it.

Cheers,

Johnny

• johnnymestizo
    • HummingBird

+1 choose your own root directory (change it from default of ‘listings’ to ‘directory’ or ‘places’ or ‘businesses’:wink:

+1 change the theme directory name from default to directory-theme (default may conflict with existing theme names)

+1 to fixing the typo ‘Advartise Here’ at the top of the page

+1 removing the advertising section if no advert code is specified.

+1 for featured listings where the listee pays a bit extra and it gets featured above that categories header

+1 add Cubepoints as a Gateway

+1 if they are a Pro Sites user their listing is automatically featured

+1 shortcodes/php functions so we can display certain components on our existing themes

+1 customisable CSS

I am 200 rep points away from lifetime membership.

I only have 4 weeks left of my current membership.

Please, if you find this feedback valuable send some love!

Cheers,

Johnny

• Jason

@johnnymestizo

That’s an amazing punch list man!

+2 choose your own root directory (change it from default of ‘listings’ to ‘directory’ or ‘places’ or ‘businesses’:wink:

+2 if they are a Pro Sites user their listing is automatically featured

+2 shortcodes/php functions so we can display certain components on our existing themes

ftfy

• Michel Mosca

Great plugin, great work…

I can’t get the star ratings to work though and get these 2 errors:

Error: syntax error

Source File: http://directory.koregaonpark.net/

Line: 48, Column: 108

Source Code:

$.post(“http://directory.koregaonpark.net/wp-admin/admin-ajax.php”, { action: ‘sr_save_vote’, post_id: , rate: value }, function(response) {

Error: $(“#avg”:wink:.stars is not a function

Source File: http://directory.koregaonpark.net/listings/something-here

Line: 39

Any suggestions for a possible fix most welcome. Thanks.

• jdubbs
    • Flash Drive

I purchased a membership so i could use the directory plug-in. I noticed it doesn’t work with other themes. I am looking for a solution to make it work with my theme.

does this latest version posted here work? And does it allow me to set up the directory on the page I choose within my theme?

The file i got from the download was marked 1.0.7 Is it worth my time to try these files listed or are all the issues with the directory plugin still unresolved?

• jdubbs
    • Flash Drive

hey thanx!

That’s the best thing I read on this forum all night. I’d much rather get a working plug-in like I expected than freaking out and trying to pick apart that theme to make it work the way I want with my theme.

Will there be an official release notification so I know I can come and download the new files?

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Will there be an official release notification so I know I can come and download the new files?

Yes sir. There will be an update on the official release, here in the forums, in your dashboard if you have our Update Notifications plugin installed, and I may go around shouting it from the mountain tops :wink:

Seriously though. Our users have spoken and we’re making the changes to get this right. Thanks!

• virtuallymarj

How nice that this plugin is so close to being through beta. Like jdubbs, I didn’t want to wrangle beta code so I pended the development.

Please tell me, will it still be necessary to have the plugin installed in the root folder of the domain (as opposed to a subfolder/subdomain)?

• Michel Mosca

Thanks @masonjames, this is very good news!

Any idea, if the js error from some posts above is just my personal problem, or if this is a known bug going to find a fix in the upcoming release too? fyi am on Beta 6 with WP 3.3.1 and no other plugins activated.

No pressing hurry, I can wait for the new release, if this will fix it…

• Kruzen

Yes sir. There will be an update on the official release, here in the forums, in your dashboard if you have our Update Notifications plugin installed, and I may go around shouting it from the mountain tops :wink:

Seriously though. Our users have spoken and we’re making the changes to get this right. Thanks!

please please please tell me you guys are properly adding a place in the payment system to hook the affiliate plugin into. I’ve been eagerly waiting months.. months! and just re-subscribed for an entire year just for this one piece of functionality to get completed.

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Please tell me, will it still be necessary to have the plugin installed in the root folder of the domain (as opposed to a subfolder/subdomain)?

I think you mean site-by-site vs. main site only. If so, I believe it will be available in both modes, but I will have to confirm that.

Any idea, if the js error from some posts above is just my personal problem, or if this is a known bug going to find a fix in the upcoming release too?

We always aim to release bug free. Andrey (lead developer for Directory) is actively monitoring this thread (which is entirely too long :stuck_out_tongue:)

please please please tell me you guys are properly adding a place in the payment system to hook the affiliate plugin into. I’ve been eagerly waiting months.. months!

Let me mention this. Do you have this up as a separate feature request somewhere? I’d be curious to see how many folks are interested in it.

Thanks!

• Kruzen

Thanks Mason.

I’ve mentioned it in this thread four times.

Sep 27

Nov 23

Dec 8

Jan 13

You’ve also seen my thread trying to build one that integrates. There’s no current hook after the purchase process that is able to be hooked into for some reason. My attempts at making the affiliate plug went as far as confirming signups, but could never segregate signups from purchases because of the lack of an after purchase confirmation.

It would probably take all of an hour for someone who knows the plugin well to integrate it :slight_smile:

• Michel Mosca

Something for the wish list. Maybe it’s been mentioned before, but I can’t recall since it’s a while since I read through this entire thread and I am just a tad too lazy to go through it all again… :stuck_out_tongue:

How about having a free basic entry with paid up add-ons, like optionally adding images or vids, creating an extended profile or a paid feature on main page etc… Could be working on credits or similar to pro sites with various paid levels.

Just an idea. Think it would greatly help monetizing a site. Seen similar functionality on some ‘free’ classified sites.

• DanOne

Hi,

when WP Debug is enabled and when I activate Dorectpry plugin v2.0 beta 6 then the following notice is displayed:

Notice: wp_enqueue_script was called incorrectly. Scripts and styles should not be registered or enqueued until the wp_enqueue_scripts, admin_enqueue_scripts, or init hooks. Please see Debugging in WordPress for more information. (This message was added in version 3.3.) in /home/myarcade/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 3587

• Jason

Me too, I think that this is a biggie for me to use here from WPMUDEV.

I can understand that the scope of this plugin is ambitious, so I know that updates are going to be slower.

It may help the developer in the future, if the layout and styling was not dependent on any theme, but just used a shortcode or page layout, and was only styled in a basic manner. Then the icing could be added by a designer instead of a developer.

• DanOne

Hello,

I noticed a problem with permalinks.

my permalink structure: /%category%/%postname%/

I’ve a listing category ‘PHP Scripts’ and when I post a new listing to that category, then I expect to have such a link: mysite.com/php-scripts/postname or but I get this link structure mysite.com/listings/postname

• luna333
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

I have to say that I really loved the ability in Version 1 to edit what the “add new” listing or “edit listing” page looked like.

I used mostly custom fields as I wanted each entry of the directory to look the same, and not have users be able to create their own look.

I loved that I could remove the editor, the excerpt, and anything else I did not want them to use or see… that was brilliant. Could you please bring that back, along with more easily being able to create custom fields???

Thanks

• luna333
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

So I downloaded CustomPress so that I could create custom fields, but now I can not figure out how to add them to the directory templates so that they will show up in the listings.

Can someone help me with that?

And I was wondering if I can use CustomPress to edit the directory_listing custom post type so that my users of the site only see certain things when they create new listings.

thanks

• Kruzen

Hey Mason,

Any word RE: Affiliate integration? I’d hate to have to integrate a different solution into the plugin because our very own affiliate plugin doesn’t work with it.. I’d much prefer to have it handle it :slight_smile:

• luna333
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Here are my honest thoughts after trying both Version 1 and Version 2 of Directory Plugin.

I love how version one allows me to edit the Custom Post type. In creating a Directory where the users can create thier own listing I didn’t want them to have access to the Editor, only to fill out Custom Fields. Otherwise they have too much license to create their own listing however they want, and I want them to only be able to fill out certain information and have it show up in the listing.

So I also loved that I could easily create custom fields and input them into the template.

Version 2 you took away this function, which makes no sense to me – and then I was told in this thread to download CustomPress.

This did not help me at all…. because the directory_listing custom post type did not show up in CustomPress so I could not edit it, AND I created Custom Fields but they did not show up as nicely in the UI for creating listings, AND then I could NOT figure out how to enter the embod code into the Template so it would show up in the listing. No matter what I tried it wouldn’t work!!

So for this very reason I would not want this version of Directory – and would ask for my money back if this was my only option!!

What I do like about Version 2 is how the categories work and how the taxonomies are formatting in the template to show up much cleaner on the home page.

So that is one thumbs up for Version 2, and many thumbs down.

My thoughts…

• Joe
    • New Recruit

Hi,

I’m looking forward to using the directory but can’t be much help at debugging just yet due to time constraints. But I do notice one very obvious bug…

“Advartising” is spelled Advertising (on the home page).

:slight_smile:

Andrey, keep up the good work. This is a well needed product. Thanks.

• fitoussi

Hi Andrey,

i have few suggestions for the plugin that maybe you will be able to include in the finally version coming soon.

1) i added the rating stars to the recent posts widget plugin and i am using it as a feature listing in the home page. i also added the stars to the search results so who ever search for a business will be able to see the ratings the problem i am having is that in the file “rating.php” you used IDs and not classes for the stars styling which end up showing the stars only in the first business and not the others. to fix it i replaced all “#avg” in the page with “.avg” and “#all_avg” with “.all_avg” and i also changed in the form id=”avg” with class=”avg” and id=”all_avg” with class=”all_avg”. i am not sure but maybe you could apply this change to the final release of the plugin.

— you can see in the attached images the rating system before and after my fix.

2) what about adding the option that allow user to use the rating system only if they are logged in.

3) limit user to rate one time per listing. now multiply rating is available which make the rating system not reliable.

Thank you for the great work

• jdubbs
    • Flash Drive

2 weeks ago I wrote in inquiring about the release Mason mentioned it would be ready in a week or so.

I just want to know if the new plug-in is ready. Or if you have a firmed up date as to when it will be released. I have some deadlines creeping up and need some input here. If there is another option please let me know.

• realsparks
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Agree with jdubbs. This was the original reason I signed up for WPMU back in November and my clients have been very patient. Now they are asking me to look for alternatives. Can we please get a firm date on the new release? Thanks so much.

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

@jason – famous or infamous :wink:

@jdubbs – apologies on the delay. Andrey (developer for Directory) was down with a really bad flu all week last week so we weren’t able to release then. Final code cleanup is underway. Andrey’s already made several commits this week. Can I ask you to hang in there just a little longer?

Thanks everyone.

• Jason

@masonjames the flu sucks man! Keep drinking that OJ and get better before you go back to work!

I know you want to jump back in, but make sure you don’t have a relapse!

I don’t know where you live, but around here the flu went around with a follow up flu, EVERYONE has gotten it. It was a stomach flu going with it, and it was REALLY BAD… I feel your pain!!

• smith.liam1990
    • New Recruit

@ Fitoussi – great post earlier about star ratings customisation. I totally agree it should be better integrated in to the theme, it even seems strange that it isn’t!

I wonder if you might consider carrying out this work out/ transferring the script on to a site I’m building?

Cheers,

Liam

• fitoussi

Hi Liam,

I will be happy to help you out just tell me what exactly you need help with. I had few things going on there. You just need to apply the fix for the rating system ? Or Add it to the search results? Add it to the recent posts plugin?

• johnnyriss
    • New Recruit

Ok. I was just trying to implement V1 and found that this new version is due out.

I’ve installed the beta but I get an error when trying to assign capabilities. The spinner never stops on this page.

http://cl.ly/3f2U3L100n1C3P0Z0z3a

I really really REALLY hope you release the new stable version soon as I have just requested a little more time from my client. And I’ll be completely hosed if it delays much longer.

I’m also not seeing where the content types and fields and such are added in the beta.

• johnnyriss
    • New Recruit

Oh yeah, if I try to make a selection while the spinner is spinning I get the error as mentioned by AmyBrucker. I’ve tried logging out, deleting cookies and logging back in with no luck.

Lastly, am I understanding this correctly –

when a user wants to add their listing are they taken to the WP admin area to enter their listing data?

Or is there a form for submitting their listing data.

Please let me know. Thx.

• Kruzen

Hehe :slight_smile: I don’t think I’d mind that one bit at this point! :slight_smile:

Like I said before too though, if support out the gate isn’t available, if we could identify somewhere after the purchase process to hook into, that’d be great. The last time I was deep into it there was none, so that’s my “last best case” scenario :slight_smile:

• johnnyriss
    • New Recruit

Just checking again:

Am I understanding this correctly –

when a user wants to add their listing are they taken to the WP admin area to enter their listing data?

Or is can there be a styled form for submitting their listing data so that the user doesn’t see the WP Admin.

Please let me know. Thx.

• jdubbs
    • Flash Drive

can someone please provide me with a phone number to call about this plug-in? I have been waiting for the release of the 2.0 plug-in and im really under the gun now. I need some clear answers to help me determine weather or not I need a refund or if i can get the plug-in integrated into my website.

Thank you

• ralabo
    • New Recruit

@masonjames,

I’ve been checked this topic over 3 month to know when the new version will be released.

In this topic, you gave information below.

1st February 2012

apologies on the delay. Andrey (developer for Directory) was down with a really bad flu all week last week so we weren’t able to release then. Final code cleanup is underway. Andrey’s already made several commits this week. Can I ask you to hang in there just a little longer?

19th January 2012

The beta is the most compatible version – but, hang tight. The final release of 2.0 of Directory is slated for release very soon (days or a week) and it WILL provide theme independence :slight_smile:

I have a question.

-How long is your “very soon(days or a week)”?

I think “days or a week” mean 2-10days, but today is 18th February. If my term is wrong, let me know your term image.

-Why don’t you announce when the release date has delayed?

I know developing plug-in is complex and often delay the schedule by many reason. I don’t mind the delay but want to know more information about developing schedule.

You might be busy managing all topics in wpmu forum, but I want you to cover this topic little more..

thanks,

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey all! :slight_smile:

-Why don’t you announce when the release date has delayed?

No delay in release date, we didn’t announce one for that reason. If there are delays then it avoids frustration and disappointment.

Andrey was unfortunately ill with some kinda flu for a short while. He is back at helm now though and working hard.

Just to note, this isn’t the only plugin he maintains and works on here at WPMU Dev, sometimes these things do take a while.

Trust me, I’m just as excited about this release as you are, I can’t wait! :slight_smile:

I’ve also shot a quick email over to Andrey regarding the final release. :slight_smile:

Take care.

• ralabo
    • New Recruit

@timothy

Thank you for your reply.

I know Andrey’s situation but I wanna know the release timing more in detail.

Now, I’m building a system for my client and wanna use New Directory plug-in.

The due date is this end of March so I have to choice which version should be selected.

If the new version will release until mid of March, I’ll use the new version and if not, I have to use current version.

You might know about the development schedule rather than me. Could you tell me which version is better for my business?

Thanks,

• Andrey

Hi guys,

I released it.

Sorry for the very large delay :slight_frown:

What you should know:

– For the new version of the plugin you can use any themes.

– The “Directory Theme” doesn’t available for new installation – but for old installation (1.0.7) after update, the “Directory Theme” will continue to work.

FYI, I don’t updated the description of the project and installation instruction – but I am working on it.

Thanks to all.

• realsparks
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Andrey, no disrespect to the work you have put into this plugin, but I cannot even begin to express how disappointed I am with WPMU right now. I signed up 3 months ago for approx $150 and my membership expired two days ago. I just re-upped for $$$$$ more and am in no way satisfied with the state of this plugin. I have clients that are severely disappointed with me and my business, a shoddy looking directory that I had to cobble together using other resources and the supposed savior of it all was going to be this plugin which in no way looks or acts or is as easy to use as promised. I feel totally let down by WPMU, their 100% money-back guarantee which does not show up in their TOS and therefore customer service informs me doesn’t exist despite being all over their site when you sign up and the way expectations were SEVERELY MISMANAGED by the support staff. This is exactly how you do not do customer service. Thanks guys.

• Atlanta
    • Syntax Hero

Hi realsparks-

Sorry to see that you were disappointed. I was a new member a couple of months ago and remember being lost at the start so I understand how you feel. Directory plugin was a beta test, so it really wasn’t something that was being packaged for sale by WPMU. When things are being “beta’d” we all jump in and test out and give wpmu feedback on what needs tweaking but we do not use beta tests on live sites. WPMU says that in several places but nevertheless, I am sorry to hear that you ran in to issues. The developed plugins really are tremendous and it would cost in the thousands upon thousands of dollars to hire a developer to do them… so I am a fan. Good luck with your clients and I hope that you decide to stay with WPMU.

Andrey-

Question for you. I just updated the plugin but I no longer see the theme in the admin panel. Am I supposed to drag it out of plugins and move it over to themes? I forget….

• Andrey

Hi Atlanta,

For the new version of the plugin you can use any themes.

We decide don’t use “Directory Theme” theme for new installation.

But for old installation (1.0.7) after update, the “Directory Theme” will continue to work.

But if you really need it – the “Directory Theme” still placed in plugin’s folder /wp-content/pugins/directory/themes/default/

you can to copy ‘default’ folder to /wp-content/themes/ (and rename it, if you need).

it’s should work.

• giv1bud
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

I would like to know if the post on the blog now can be moved to be in the directory after activation or i have to start from scratch?

I would not dream of using a beta since the finished versions often does not work so please answer the first question atleast for the none beta version.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.