New domain on multisite, now how to best direct old domain to new site

Hello,

I have an old domain (old.com) that I would like to redirect visitors to a new domain (new.com) which is the main site of a multisite install.

Problem is, that when you go to old.com it redirects to a wp error page that says “Registrations have been disabled” on new.com

This should just display the new.com site, right?

For new.com, I have setup:

a sub-domain wp multisite install (confirmed working)

a dedicated IP(confirmed working)

a wildcard entry in the DNS host (confirmed working)

the mpmudev domain maping plugin (confirmed working)

For old.com, I have:

an A name entry in the DNS host that points to the new.com dedicated IP (confirmed working)

As a troubleshooting measure, I have setup a temporary sub site within the multisite (old.new.com) and this seems to have worked, but this is not my goal. Old.com should just point to new.com.

Here is my question:

What is the best way for me to point Old.com to new.com.

Thanks

• Michael Bissett
    • Recruit

Hey @redhillcreative, hope you’re doing well today! :slight_smile:

Don’t know who your domain provider is, but instead of setting up an A record, have you thought about forwarding the domain from the old URL to the new one?

Who’s the domain provider for the old.com domain? They should have an article on how you can do this (e.g. http://support.godaddy.com/help/article/422/forwarding-or-masking-your-domain-name )

Please advise,

Michael

• redhillcreative
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

HI,

Thanks for the reply.

The issue is not so much the forwarding of old.com, its what happens when it get to new.com.

Unlike a subsite, the main site of a domain mapped multisite does not have any options for domain mapping under the >Tools menu.

So where you could set multiple domains to resolve to a subsite, in the plugin options, on the main site you cant.

Or at least I dont know how?

Does this make sense?

Thanks

• redhillcreative

HI,

Thanks for the reply.

The issue is not so much the forwarding of old.com, its what happens when it get to new.com.

Unlike a subsite, the main site of a domain mapped multisite does not have any options for domain mapping under the >Tools menu.

So where you could set multiple domains to resolve to a subsite, in the plugin options, on the main site you cant.

Or at least I dont know how?

Does this make sense?

Thanks

• redhillcreative

Also, just to add to the above, though it may be related.

The old.com still has necessary dns records ( such as mx entries for emails).

So a simple forward old.com to new.com will not work because with my current dns host, if you forward the domain, it INCLUDES all of the dns entries. so this option is not doable.

Thanks

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello @redhillcreative

I hope you are well today.

You are right, adding record for old.com and point to dedicated IP of new.com, should show the site of new.com.

But here, the problem is you are using domain mapping plugin. So, if any domain other than new.com point to same IP, the plugin thinks the domain is mapped. But when the plugin doesn’t get the mapped domain, then it thinks you have come here to register. And as registration is disabled, you are seeing this message. Hope it makes sense.

Now, in your case, would you please delete the record of old.com that points to that IP? And add the domain old.com as a parked domain in the same hosting of new.com. You also need to add same nameserver of new.com into the domain panel of old.com

If it sill doesn’t work, then you need to add the domain old.com as an add-on domain in the same hosting of new.com and then add a redirect in the cpanel to redirect the site into old.com (almost similar to what you have now using subdomain).

Hope it helps :slight_smile: Please feel free to ask more question if you have.

Cheers

Ash

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.