New e-newsletter BETA - would love your feedback

Attention !

Our lead developer @maniu had been working hard on a new version of our e-newsletter plugin and he has got a new version ready for you :slight_smile:

Here are the features

Improved tons of things:
-added password character count message
-improved theme switcher in builder
-fixed support for custom theme folder
-improved theme structure for it to be simpler
-fixed images not displaying properly in builder
-instantly updated main content in builder
-fixed names and email replacing (you can now use tags like {USER_NAME} and {TO_EMAIL} in templates and builder)
-fixed hard error when email is not present

Please Let us know if you find any bugs with the beta version on this thread

We would also like to thank you all again for great feedback!

Cheers, PC

//EDIT 3
The new version has been released as stable!

• Maniu
    • Developer

Hey

Thanks for creating new topic, old one was really long:slight_smile:

Would also like to add that above changelog is between previous test versions and this is the main one with the "goals" of new 2.0 Version:

= 2.0 =
    * New E-Mail template builder (Please keep in mind that new version requires modifications to your custom email templates)
    * SMTP settings page has been improved
    * SMTP SSL/TLS and Port option now separated, please double check your sending settings
    * POP3 bounce password now properly encrypted
    * POP3 SSL support, please double check your Bounce settings
    * Improved look of user interface
    * Improved widget behavior
    * Special folder for user themplates
    * Fixed ability to add user data to newsletter
    * Ability to display emails in browser
    * Shortcode for subscribe panel

I would also like to say thanks! Its getting better and better because of users like you:slight_smile:
    Maniu

• tivolitryne
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi.

Have installed and tested this plugin. Since I dont have used any previus version I of course cant say anything about improvment from earlyer versions.

But I must say that it was wery easy to set up, make newsletter and generally understand how it works. You have really made an easy to understand newsmail plugin! :slight_smile:

One thing I cant find out is how I can remove subscribers that the bounce mail function is picking up. When I tested the bounce mail is working and I can se correct number of bounce mail, but I cant automaticly remove subscribers.
    So i guess my question is if it is possible to get a list of all subscribers with bounce mail so I can remove them.
    Or maybe just a column in the members table that shows number of bounce mail in addition to "Number sent" and "Number opened" so it is easy to remove useless adresses.

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hey @Maniu

A couple of issues were reported here : https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/validation-email-and-behavior-for-enewsletter?replies=5#post-411747

1. The Email Title gets reverted upon sending a newsletter. I changed it to a custom title, but upon receiving it in my inbox, the title reverted back to "Default Email Title". I tested this twice with the same results. ( I use the Minimize theme)

3. The link functionality is broken via the UI. Links only work if they are added in HTML.

Cheers, PC

• Maniu
    • Developer

Hey @tivolitryne

Good find. To be honest, i took over this plugin from other developer and i have also noted the same thing. I guess this feature has to be implemented, for now plugin is storing data that in future version can be used to remove useless emails and sooner or later, this will be implemented:slight_smile:

Thanks very much for your opinion, it is appreciated, Could you tell me what kind of email provider you are using? i am just curious:slight_smile:

Thanks!
    Maniu

• tivolitryne
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi @Maniu

Yea, think that would be a function that will make it easyer to manage the mail lists. Looking forward to it to be released.

I am using Dreamhost for email.
    Could also mension that I had to use SSL to get the bounce function to work and when setting up mail (whit my domain mail.mydomain.com) I got an error message regarding the SSL certeficate was using wrong domain. The sollution was to use mymailserver.mail.dreamhost.com.
    The whole sollution for the SSL error with Dreamhost you could find here if you are interested: http://wiki.dreamhost.com/Certificate_Domain_Mismatch_Error
    Guess other could bump into same problem.

- Tivoli

• warpx
    • Flash Drive

Hi @maniu,

I'm re-posting this issue here after @Patrick told me so over here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/newsletter-doesnt-get-send-out

The newsletter doesn't get send out and the only log information I get is this recurring error:
    [29-Apr-2013 15:33:17 UTC] PHP Warning: call_user_func_array() expects parameter 1 to be a valid callback, function 'codex_custom_init' not found or invalid function name in /home/noordzeenieuw/www/wp-includes/plugin.php on line 406

After upgrading to 2.0.0-RC5 I get these errors in addition to the above one:
    [29-Apr-2013 15:37:47 UTC] PHP Warning: Creating default object from empty value in /home/noordzeenieuw/www/wp-content/plugins/e-newsletter/email-newsletter-files/builder/class.builder.php on line 607
    [29-Apr-2013 15:37:47 UTC] PHP Warning: Creating default object from empty value in /home/noordzeenieuw/www/wp-content/plugins/e-newsletter/email-newsletter-files/builder/class.builder.php on line 610
    [29-Apr-2013 15:37:47 UTC] PHP Warning: Creating default object from empty value in /home/noordzeenieuw/www/wp-content/plugins/e-newsletter/email-newsletter-files/builder/class.builder.php on line 611
    [29-Apr-2013 15:37:47 UTC] PHP Warning: Creating default object from empty value in /home/noordzeenieuw/www/wp-content/plugins/e-newsletter/email-newsletter-files/builder/class.builder.php on line 612
    [29-Apr-2013 15:37:47 UTC] PHP Warning: Creating default object from empty value in /home/noordzeenieuw/www/wp-content/plugins/e-newsletter/email-newsletter-files/builder/class.builder.php on line 613

I can't send any newsletters at the moment.

• intrinsic
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Hi

I'm trying this out because I couldn't get v1.2.4 working.

With this version (2.0.0 RC5), I'm getting 2 errors at the moment:

1. When I try to send a bounce test, I get this error:

<br />
    <b>Warning</b>:  imap_open() [<a href='function.imap-open'>function.imap-open</a>]: Couldn't open stream {mail.unlimited-space.com:995/pop3/notls/ssl}INBOX in <b>/home/screenwi/public_html/wp-content/plugins/e-newsletter/e-newsletter.php</b> on line <b>1543</b><br />
    Can not authenticate to POP3 server: Authentication failed.

2. When I try to edit a Newsletter created with v1.2.4, I get a page that says this:

Cheatin’ uh?

In both cases, I'm logged in as administrator.

Any help would be great. This is for a client of mine.

Thanks

• Maniu
    • Developer

Hello everybody!

New version is here:slight_smile:

Changelog:
    -Templates improvements
    -Email Personalization system improvements
    -Support for displaying emails in browser
    -Small tweak for better POP support
    -Visual editor Improvements(but disabled link button for now)

I think it is really close to be ready for release, other bugs should be not as common.

Happy testing,
    Maniu

• intrinsic
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

It would be great to have a confirmation email option. So when people sign up, the plugin automatically sends them a confirmation / thank you email.

There would be a place to set up the email - similar to the Newsletter setup.

• Maniu
    • Developer

@intrinsic

There is email-newsletter-files\emails\double_optin.html available for custom modification. We will think about adding visual builder for those kind of things but bit later:slight_smile:

anyway....
    NEW VERSION RC7

improvements:
    -created shortcode for widget
    -added some hooks for devs to use
    -bugfixing for displaying newsletter themes in wp themes
    -fixed insert link in builder
    -improved builder displaying(no more wp footer stuff)
    -rewritten widget to support ajax(for shortcode)

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.