New Events + Plugin Beta

Hiya folks,

Check it out. With the overwhelming feedback received on our initial release of the Events & Bookings plugin we're pleased to announce the (newly named) Events +

What's been done since the 1.0 release? Well, how about:
- Email Invites! With integration to our e-newsletter plugin you can select a pre-made e-newsletter and when saving the post it will take you automatically to the newsletter sending page. You'll need to install e-newsletter and then activate the add-on in Events settings for this to work. Note: tighter integration is planned for a future release

- Front-end editing! Activate the addon in Events settings. Published an event and need to make a quick change? No problem. Click the edit link and edit your event details right on the page. Want to add a new event? We've added a button in the WordPress userbar for you. As long as you've got that enabled you can easily add an event.

- Super awesome theme integration! Now you can choose whether to use built-in templates provided by the plugin or ones dictated by your theme.

- BuddyPress Group Integration! Activate an add-on from the settings page and create an event and assign it to any BuddyPress Group

- Limit the number of RSVPs! Activate an add-on from the settings page and set a limit to the number of folks who can sign up.

- Events tab on BuddyPress Profile! Now you can easily see events you've created, are attending, maybe attending, or not attending all from your profile page.

- Bug fixes! We knocked out loads of bugs mentioned form the first go 'round.

And, of course, we have much more planned for future releases. Please give the version here a go and, as always, let us know your thoughts, criticisms, wild praise, and all that below.

• rickroberts
    • Flash Drive

1 - Calendar Widget. The controls should be above - not below. Clicking on the controls does not advance to the next month. Instead, it switches to a new page that shows a large calendar.

2 - Upcoming Events Widget. Can’t get it to appear at all.

3 - Events tab not showing up in the BP profile. Have tried two different themes, including BP default.

• rickroberts
    • Flash Drive

Just signed in as another user. There is a My Events subnav under the Profile tab, which is confusing. I would think Events should be in the main navbar. That’s how Events Manager does it:

Activity - Profile - Messages - Friends - Groups - Events - Settings

When I do click on that My Events subnav tab, I see a test event that I created as another user. Why would it be there listed un My Events when I haven’t yet looked at, read about, or said I was attending?

http://d.pr/7lgi

Update:

OK, I said I was attending the event, and now this is what I see under My Events: http://d.pr/77O7

• rickroberts
    • Flash Drive

When I click to see who has RSVPd, I see avatars but no names. If I click an avatar, I expect to be taken to that person’s public profile, but instead I am taken to ../author/membername/, which in my particular installation goes to an empty blog page. The author slug makes no sense. Should go to ../members/membername/.

What is the event attendees widget for, by the way. I can’t get it to appear in any sidebar, but if I could, couldn’t I somehow have it show up beside a single event?

• James Farmer
    • CEO (of WPMU DEV, honest)

Great feedback guys, esp Rick, we're on it!

@nickd32

"Can we just sell tickets and have them fill out a form? Does it have to be tied to a user login? "

That should be the aim, folk should be able to RSVP through Facebook/Twitter/FB (or via an account on your site) - did you not see the option?

• rickroberts
    • Flash Drive

Just clicked on add event from the Groups Event tab. Oh, my. Why don’t I just give one of you my staging address and let you create an account. You can use my in-process site as a sandbox. I gotta get this working soon or move in another direction. The trip calendar is the central feature of this project.

Ping me on Twitter @rickroberts.

• Giovanni
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Thank you for this great plugin! I've been wanting to write for a while but my connection always times out and deletes my comment.

One of my main business is event production and I used to rely on Eventbrite for ticket sales. Then I moved on to Event Espresso. The beauty of Event Espresso is that it allows you to charge your own fees, etc. However, I've had to modify event espresso to add my own functionalities and have now been unable to update the plugin. I haven't touched my website in terms of upgrades since 3.1. =/

I'd like to start from scratch and with this plugin I might be able to...

One of the main functionalities every VIP event manager needs is exclusivity and different ticket type sales.

My website is an exclusive member only site. Events can be attended by both members and non-members but non-members pay a higher fee.

The functionality should allow for various ticket types and access to the ticket type based on user level. I have 3 user leves: Non-subscriber, Subscriber, VIP.

An additional functionality that I really like is to have discount codes and promotional affiliate codes.

For example:

http://mydomain.com/my-event?partner=PARTNER1
    This will allow to keep track of ticket sales by co-hosts and then we can pay them directly.

http://mydomain.com/my-event?discount=DISCOUNT
    This will allow for direct discount code on the link for VIPs, etc.

Lastly, quantity limitations on ticket sales. That would be great!

I have not tested out the plugin and sorry if my comments above already exist, I just got really excited and wanted to pitch in. Will test the plugin now and let you know by feedback soon.

Giovanni

• James Farmer
    • CEO (of WPMU DEV, honest)

@rickroberts can you be a bit more specific than 'oh my' please :slight_smile: screenshots, descriptions of how you would like stuff to display etc. would be great.

This is why we're doing this stuff in the forums, so we can catch, fix and improve on these more complex features before a more formal listing, essentially this is beta stuff, it's going to not be perfect.

@Giovanni - that's no good, a problem at our end or yours?

"various ticket types and access to the ticket type based on user level. I have 3 user leves: Non-subscriber, Subscriber, VIP."

This sounds like an attractive addition, for 2.0 perhaps?

"An additional functionality that I really like is to have discount codes and promotional affiliate codes."

I think that coupon integration would be nice, and hopefully not too hard to integrate, affiliates might be harder (again 2.0) but if we could integrate it with https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/wordpress-mu-affiliate that could make it a whole lot easier.

"Lastly, quantity limitations on ticket sales. That would be great!"

Already there :slight_smile:

@Joe

"Does this have recurring events? "

Yes :slight_smile:

@Aphrodite

Order some more in

• fitoussi

Hi,
    when i am trying to edit event from the front end no matter what date i choose i get this date 1970-01-01 00:00 for start date and end date.

how can i post new event from from end? is there a "new event" button that i can't find?

• Amir
    • New Recruit

Guys I've posted this in the forum recently. Link Here.

What I'm trying to do is to work on membership plugin + events plugin.

I'll allow two levels for my site > maybe a basic and a premium membership.
    They both pay recurring charges monthly but ofcourse at a different price.
    Basic gets a couple of events per month for FREE and some they'll have to pay for it depending on the price you've set.
    Premium gets all the events for FREE that we have every month.
    And for non paid members. They can join the event, they'll just have to pay for that single event.

I'm looking forward to have this feature. It would be great and some might be looking for this as well.

• Giovanni

@james, Event Espresso did not have the functionalities so I added my own. Not your plugin so no worries.

The affiliate % is not that difficult actually, It's adding a $_GET[partner] and adding a column on the attendee table called partner. that should be enough to do a query per partner and get the total count and ticket type. no need to use the plugin to pay the partner, that can be done offline, it's a start at least. =)

More Comments:

- "Display public RSVPs?" option should be on event basis, not overall

- Def. use ticket types. There should be options for Paid tickets, or RSVP and pay at the door.
    For example:

Pre-sale Non member - $50 Qty, 1-20
    Pre-sale Member - $30 Qty 1,2,3,4
    Member RSVP [$40 before 10 pm] - Pay at the door Qty 1,2
    VIP Ticket - Free Qty 1,2

Show Pre-sale Non-member for non-logged in users
    Show pre-sale member and Member RSVP for logged in users
    Show VIP Ticket for VIP members

- To RSVP:

I love the buttons. They're great for a single event with no ticket options and a simple RSVP with one price of free entrance or pay at the door.

If event has multiple ticket options, it would be nice to show a list of the tickets with a dropdown of Qty.

- When someone RSVPs, you get this message:

Excellent! We've got you marked as coming and we'll see you there!
    You haven't paid for this event - PAYPAL BUTTON

It would be nice for it to say something like this:
    Almost there. One more step to complete your registration! Click here to pay.

- An email should be sent to the user when they RSVP or purchase ticket and it should be customizable via the event plugin

- It would be nice to allow users to create their own events, I don't have buddypress and probably you've incorporated it there.

Thanks again for this and I look forward to 2.0!!! Please if you need any other advice or way of displaying certain ticket options, etc. Let me know, I've tried 4 variations and I think I found the best one just haven't been able to implement it.

Lastly, what would make your plugin a killer plugin would be to create a mobile app to allow check-in at the door of events with iPads, iPhones, Android tablets/phones, etc.

Thanks again!

Giovanni

• marcusjwilson
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Thanks, Guys - some nice progress here.

However, the plugin remains unusable for me at this stage, as the "backwards" and "forwards" functionality to move from month-to-month on the calendar widget is not currently working.

Also, can you confirm whether adding new events is yet possible from the front end form? I can see that events can be edited in place from the front end, but I think a lot of folk were keen to allow Subscribers+ to submit new events to the site without the need to direct them into the WordPress Dashboard, or to have the WordPress admin bar visible globally in the Header.

Best
    Marcus

• Aphrodite
    • The Reaper

User registration -- what if we DON'T want users to have to register on our site? Can we just sell tickets and have them fill out a form? Does it have to be tied to a user login?

Ohhh... that reminds me something huh ?

HOW DOES A USER CAN REGISTER ON SUBSITES ! ??????

Did I say that loudly ? oups...

^^

• themarketingcompass

I have the first version of this plugin installed on my site with a current event running. When I try to install this version I get a server error...

Shouldn't there be an automatic update of this plugin available within my plugin screen or the WPMU DEV screen?

• Vladislav
    • Dead Eye Dev

Hello,

Thank you very much for the feedback, the latest update (attached) addresses a lot of the issues mentioned in the thread this far. Namely, the languages file is updated with the new strings, calendar widget navigation works better, BuddyPress profile links are used instead of author links in guest lists, and more.

@fitoussi, the issue you experienced is most likely related to the strict time format front page editor required. In this version, the time format is much more relaxed, and should take pretty much any time format. Please note that this applies to times, the actual dates should still be yyyy-mm-dd. As for adding new Events with front page editor, there should be a new menu item in your Admin toolbar on public pages titled "Events", and links in that menu should take you to edit or add new Event page.

@rickroberts, the "My Events" add-on has had some changes, and should be closer to what you needed now. Also, there is a new add-on titled "Guest lists options" that will give you control over info and format displayed in RSVP lists. As for the Event Attendees widget, it will show in your sidebar alongside your single Events, if they have any attendees. Also, front page editor obviously shouldn't be doing what you experienced. It appears to be conflicting with something, possibly with the sidebar widget in the top right of the page. Do you perhaps know which is that particular widget?

@themarketingcompass, can you please check your error logs for any errors? The new version will be available through auto-update as soon as there's an official release.

• Vladislav
    • Dead Eye Dev

Hi,

@Joe, no, the dates will be shown in the format according to your settings (Settings > General, options titled "Date Format" and "Time Format"). The specific date format only applies to creating new events or editing the existing ones, but the popup date picker should help you with that, so in most cases you wouldn't be entering this by hand anyway.

• Moonworks
    • Code Wrangler

I selected to make an event recurring, I selected Feb 29th and April 11th as the two dates, and the start/end date was the same day, but when it shows, it looks like this:

On April 11, 2012 from 12:00 pm to February 29, 2012 6:00 pm
    and On February 29, 2012 from 12:00 pm to April 11, 2012 6:00 pm

Also, when selecting the cost of an event, I have selected GBP, but where it has the price input, is there a way to place £ instead of GBP as, to be honest, half the people here probably don't even know what GBP is.

• isis
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Just would like to put in a quick - and very strong - request for an event check-in application.

Highly important on my site that member attendance is not only documented, but that the events are advertised in as many ways as possible. If the events check-in were somehow incorporated with Facebook/Twitter or other social media (maybe as an option of check-in) that would be even better.

I'll also second the price tiers, quantity dropdowns and coupon codes.

Email a verification of registration is fantastic - another thing to consider, reminder emails - "X Event is Happening Next week at 6:00pm; You are Already Registered OR Reserve your Spot now"

Affiliate is a great idea - "Referred by" also/maybe?

A highly functional events calendar and the ability to have several instances of such within one website has been the ultimate goal of my business and website for a looong time now and I second all Giovanni has had to say, actually.

Could I suggest looking outside the Wordpress realm for a bit? Meetup.com has really set a precedent on how to set up events. It might be a good idea for someone to play on there for a bit to get an idea of what things web-savvy users expect when registering for (and attending) events hosted or advertised on a "social" website ie,, a Buddypress site run by a small business (me :slight_smile: ) - if you would like a test area for trying it out, let me know.

Thanks again for the hard work on the awesome new beta phase of what I am sure will ultimately be a killer feature!

• rickroberts
    • Flash Drive

Hope you all are not too sick of reading my stuff. Here’s another:

I will handle these things with CSS if you all don’t make the changes. I think the calendar should expand to the left margin. It needs the space. The Wednesday column is wider because the word Wednesday is longer. Maybe just go with M, Tu, W, Th, F, Sa, Su, center at the top of the columns and make everything square and pretty. Also, the calendar is taller than it is wide; that’s awkward.

I would remove the bottom label row. Don’t need it at top and bottom.

Prev/next controls not so nice and should probably be at the top.

That big red circle at the bottom is a sidebar with the Upcoming Events widget, but for me, I can’t get that widget to work anywhere. So I just see blank space. Really need that.

http://d.pr/Dggv

• Giovanni

Rick,

Amazing comments! Thanks so much. For those of us subscribed to this forum, could you please write a text document to collect all the feedback and when is full of great stuff, post it? My inbox would appreciate it!

Thank you.

Giovanni

• Donald McIntyre

BUG ALERT!!!

When I try to see a created event it through this error message:

Warning: include(/home/donmcint/nacionsocial.com/wp-content/plugins/events-and-bookings/default-templates/calendar/single-incsub_event.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/donmcint/nacionsocial.com/wp-includes/template-loader.php on line 43

Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening '/home/donmcint/nacionsocial.com/wp-content/plugins/events-and-bookings/default-templates/calendar/single-incsub_event.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:disappointed:usr/local/lib/php:disappointed:usr/local/php5/lib/pear') in /home/donmcint/nacionsocial.com/wp-includes/template-loader.php on line 43

ALSO, I don´t where to crete an event from the front end, where is the "Create New Event" button???

Thx, Donald.

PS: I also alert that the .PO file has to be updated.

• Vladislav
    • Dead Eye Dev

Hello,

@rickroberts, as for the templates selection - the template selection will show custom templates available for your theme (if any), as well as the plugin templates. You can relatively simply create your own ones, by copying over and modifying an existing one (or a plugin one).

As for the shortcode and template tag in the front page editor description, that is really misleading and entirely my fault, I'm sorry for that. The original plan was to provide for those, but there were some difficulties with the visual editor that forced the decision to make it this way instead for now. We'll keep working on making it embeddable though, which will also make possible adding the editor tab to my events.

About the front page editor appearance/duplication issue, I'm guessing it's conflicting with the top sidebar widget (or whatever code at the top of the sidebar). We can stop the editor from duplicating relatively easily, but I'd really like to figure out a way to stop that from happening in other contexts so we're fixing the cause, not the consequence. To that end, can you please let me know what is in the top of the sidebar on that page, that front page editor is taking over?

As for events approval, the Events currently use the same posting privileges as posts, which makes such flow possible for Contributors, if it fits your particular scenario. If not, maybe we can make the Event creating privileges filterable and/or expose them through an add-on?

@isis, awesome suggestions, especially the social media ones. Since we already have Facebook/Twitter integration for user creation and logins, we can add social media posting as well.

@Donald McIntyre, once you activated the front end editor add-on, your Admin toolbar should have a new menu item labeled Events, with links to adding an Event or editing the current one (if you're looking at one of your Events already). I'm also working on fixing the issue you experienced with Calendar template.

• marcusjwilson

Many thanks for all your work on this @VeBailovity

As for events approval, the Events currently use the same posting privileges as posts, which makes such flow possible for Contributors, if it fits your particular scenario. If not, maybe we can make the Event creating privileges filterable and/or expose them through an add-on?

My client needs me to allow site users of "Subscriber" level to be able to submit events (preferably from the site front end, but via the Dashboard will suffice for now). Until this is available through the Add-on, is there an elegant solution / ugly hack for make Event posting by Subscribers possible?

m

• Vladislav
    • Dead Eye Dev

Hello,

@marcusjwilson, unfortunately at this moment it's not really possible - well, at least not in a remotely clean or future proof way. However, exposing privileges to at least be filterable (preferably editable without coding) shouldn't be too much of a complication, so that is something that we'll definitely be including.

@rickroberts, can you please check the attached update and see if it solves the front end editor (add/edit event) duplication issue for you?

• rickroberts
    • Flash Drive

It’s not working this way for me. For me, only editors and above are able to add events.

• Vladislav
    • Dead Eye Dev

Hello,

There has been a change in Front-page editing add-on, you can now embed it in a page by using a shortcode, like this:

[eab_event_editor]

There is also a new settings item for the add-on that will enable you to map Add and Edit links to your new Editor page (the one with the shortcode).

@rickroberts, can you please try creating a page with the shortcode, then go to the plugin settings and in the "I want to use this page as my Front Editor page" drop-down select your newly created page? Hopefully this will fix the duplication issue you're experiencing.

@marcusjwilson, @rickroberts, this update also comes with a permission editing add-on (named "Capabilities") that you can use to set up who can do what with the Events.

@Donald McIntyre, this update should also fix the issue you experienced with the calendar template.

• rickroberts
    • Flash Drive

@rickroberts, can you please try creating a page with the shortcode, then go to the plugin settings and in the "I want to use this page as my Front Editor page" drop-down select your newly created page? Hopefully this will fix the duplication issue you're experiencing.

The shortcode works beautifully now and fixes the formatting problem, but since you have added the Add Event subnav tab, I no longer need a separate page for the editor. So elegant!

@marcusjwilson, @rickroberts, this update also comes with a permission editing add-on (named "Capabilities") that you can use to set up who can do what with the Events.

I used this add-on to enable editing for the contributor role and for a custom role that I have, yet they still cannot edit. When they click Add Event, it is just blank space. The only way to allow them to edit is to promote them to Editor Role, which defeats my approval routing.

You all are doing amazing work. Thank you!

• rickroberts
    • Flash Drive

VeBailovity, I am going to use User Role Editor to customize S2 member roles to allow posting. That is the problem. Can you tell me the names of the capabilities I need to grant? I granted edit_event, edit_events, and write_posts, but the form is still not displaying.

• rickroberts
    • Flash Drive

Bingo! Yep, user role editor allowed me to add the capabilities for S2 member roles to read, edit, and publish events. So this is really good. Now I am down to making EAB look a little nicer: pref/next links under the calendar, rsvp names getting squished, etc. Good work!

• isis

@ RickRoberts: "There's an app for that" :slight_smile:

Seriously, I have something working on my site that allows you to publish things on a specific date. It is an option right there on the post creation page when you add it. I'll find it for you and post.

Isis

• rickroberts
    • Flash Drive

Isis, thanks, but that’s not what I need. I need for Events+ to adhered to WP contributor role, meaning that someone can create an event, but it doesn’t get published until an Editor (or designated person) reviews and approves it. The settings for that are right there in the latest EAB add-on, but the system is not respecting my preferences.

• fitoussi

try this rick,
    go to this folder :
    /wp-content/plugins/events-and-bookings/lib/plugins
    and open the file "eab-events-front_page_editing.php"

goto line 216 and change this :

$post['post_status'] = 'publish';

to

$post['post_status'] = 'pending';

i am not sure but give it a shot.

• rickroberts
    • Flash Drive

Guys, sorry to keep spamming you, but another reason this can’t be the answer is that even when an editor or administrator adds an event, it still goes in as pending. That’s not good and not how Wordpress works. Editors and Administrators can publish.

• fitoussi

Rick,
    this should be a temporary fixed until hopefully it will be added to the plugin in a future update. and you also need your site live very soon.
    for the admin privileges try this:
    the same line as before change to this:

if ( current_user_can( 'manage_options' ) ) {
    		$post['post_status'] = 'publish';
    		} else {
    		$post['post_status'] = 'pending';
    		}

i think this way it will publish only admin posts. i didn't try it but it might work.

• Donald McIntyre

Small BUG Alert:

When you edit/create event on front page, when you save it it moves the date to one day earlier e.g. create/edit event for march 15 and when you save and see it it, is marked for the 14th.

Each time you edit it repeats the same operation and moves back again to 13th, then 12th and so on when it should be fixed for the 15th.

Thx, Donald.

PS: this is the best events plugin

• rickroberts
    • Flash Drive

Couple of new problems have popped up with latest release:

1) Clicking I’m Attending no longer presents the confirmation. Instead, it goes to a page with no default content, but only my right sidebar.

Update: Event created by administrator flows correctly. Event created by others produces this problem. Further, the page it reverts to is not the template selected in event settings. It is my blog template. Combing through your code now.

2) Calendar event popup is appearing under other elements: http://d.pr/3HTK

3) Multi-day events are appearing as single events on multiple days instead of a single banner that spans the several days.

James asked me to stick with this plugin and said we could get it sorted out before my launch on Mar 4. I hope that still holds. I am here all day doing nothing but this. I am easy to reach if you want to communicate another way.

Thanks!

• Vladislav
    • Dead Eye Dev

Hello,

@fitoussi, thank you very much for catching the issue with front page editor, and for providing for a quick fix! The issue should be fixed in this update, and the proper privileges should be applied to the front page editor in the same way they are for the admin dashboard editor.

@rickroberts, unfortunately I'm not sure what you mean by confirmation on clicking the "I'm attending" button. The plugin doesn't ask for confirmation if you're logged in, but if you're not, it will offer signing up with Facebook/Twitter (if you have that set up) or logging in to your site in regular WP way.

EDIT: I just saw the update. Is it possible that you're attempting to RSVP to draft events? They wouldn't show for your visitors.

As for calendar appearance, it's pretty odd that the sidebar is showing there - the plugin template doesn't use a sidebar. Are you perhaps using a modified template? If so, wrapping the calendar code (in the template) in a cleared div might help.

@Donald McIntyre, unfortunately I haven't been able to replicate the issue you experienced this far. If I understood correctly, this happens in front end editor - does it also happen in the admin dashboard editor (admin area, Events > Add Event, or Events > Events > Edit)? Also, in which browser did this happen? Or did it perhaps happen in different browsers?

• Vladislav
    • Dead Eye Dev

Hi,

@rickroberts, I think I found something, which may be cause of some of the other issues you experienced as well: there is an escaped link in your template, that seems to wrap up everything (or, well, a lot of things) after it. The link in question is the one after "Photos" on events page, and it appears it uses a "typographers quote" instead of a regular one.

• rickroberts
    • Flash Drive

OK, sweet. I just stripped that out, and that fixed this particular problem. Thanks much for that!

Now how to implement the following?

1 - Contributor submits new event.
    2 - View changes to the main events page (instead of a new open form) and contributor sees a message thanking him for the submission. Says it is pending approval.
    3 - Editors (or a single approver in our case) are alerted that an event is pending approval.
    4 - Editor approves, the event is published, and the contributor is notified.

• Vladislav
    • Dead Eye Dev

With today's update, the workflow is pretty similar to what you outlined, minus the messages. Contributors can create events, but they will be stored as Drafts - not published (and thus, not visible on the front end). The contributor will still be able to preview the event using the "Back to Event" button on front page editor. Until the event is approved (published), it won't be actually shown to others. You make a very good point about more informative messages though, that's something that we really want in the front-page editor as well. As for the notifications part, there are plugins that will handle this sort of alerts through emails.

• Donald McIntyre

@VeBailovity

[date reversal bug]

On Firefox when I edit/create on the front end it throughs back one day the start date of the event, and it does that continuously every time you edit e.g. 14th, 13th, 12th, etc. ONLY THE START DATE.

When I edit/create from the back end it works perfectly without this bug...

Thx, Donald.

PS: I can´t say it enough times: What a good plugin!!!!!

• The_Dominion
    • New Recruit

I like the work you have done so far. And I know this was mentioned earlier as a v2.0 update, but the biggest thing preventing me using this over something like Event Espresso is the need for multiple ticket types. More specifically I want to pre-sell t-shirts (for $10 lets say), and a Friday only pass ($20) or a Weekend Pass for ($35) as examples. Ideally these would each be separate items and not be Friday pass, Friday Pass with T-Shirt, Weekend Pass, Weekend Pass with T-shirt.

The other recommendation I would have is to force payment, I don't want people to RSVP and not be forced to pay immediately. I have used other ticketing software and if you don't immediately lead them to a Paypal screen after allowing them to order some people assume they are OK to come even though they didn't pay.

Another incredibly helpful addition would be barcodes in e-mail confirmations for registration. The barcode part would obviously be an easier addition, but this would need a complementary check in application. This would be used to prevent people from checking into the event twice.

I don't know what kind of roadmap you guys are on, but I am coming at a crossroads with having to change over registration systems and I would really like to use you guys if things work out.

• rickroberts
    • Flash Drive

Yes, I am very pleased. And grateful. I expect a successful launch and a happy client. What they had before was horrid. (Actually, it’s still up if you want to see: wildnetga.org).

A last bit of Wordpress voodoo: My Upcoming Events widget is not displaying, and I can’t for the life of me figure out why. I’m certain it’s because I have been looking at this thing for too long. I someone wants to take a gander, the staging address is: http://wildnetga.org.s142411.gridserver.com/.

The widget should be displaying in the homepage sidebar at the bottom and at the bottom of the calendar page: http://wildnetga.org.s142411.gridserver.com/trips-and-events/

• ThePath
    • The Bug Hunter

OK here are my observations on the Version 1.1-BETA-4 release.

Some of which Im sure Ive seen before but I will run through them anyway.

1. The upcoming widget has a br tag at the bottom, why?:

<li id=&quot;incsub_event_upcoming-2&quot;>
    <div class=&quot;sidebarbox&quot;>
    <h2 class=&quot;widgettitle&quot;>Upcoming</h2>
    <div id=&quot;event-popular&quot;>
    <br>
    </div>
    </li>

I dont see why this br tag is here, it just creates an annoying gap in my widget on the theme I use.

2. When I ask the widget to include featured images it breaks the whole widget.

3. When I deactivated and deleted previous versions of the plugin all the DB entries remained, so all the old test events I put in are still there. I would expect if I deleted the plugin that all traces would be removed?

4. The featured image isnt really a featured image. There is not featured image option, I think I saw someone post that the featured image is obtained from adding it into the post. Ive tried this and can only see an image when I view the individual event. I want to see the image when viewing the root events page. Could there not be a specific post type for styles i.e. like in the 2011 theme where you have an image, aside and gallery post etc with different styles. I also want to add a featured image the conventional way, this is what users will expect also.

5. Could I suggest widget specific styling rather than relying on the users theme, thus getting a more attractive display? Id be willing to help out with the styling. You could even have an option to use specific styles or use theme styles?

6. Still no spaces between variable output:

View eventOn March 22, 2012 from 12:00 pm to 4:00 pmPerth

7. I dont know about anyone else but Id prefer to see the comment options unchecked by default when posting events.

8. Non logged in users being able to register for an event. So give them the option to login or to fill out a quick form (registration). Obviously we could use the default forms here but it would be nice to have both options on the same page, so the user doesnt have to travel to yet another screen, we all know how impatient users are :wink:

9. The events attendees widget doesnt work for me, nowhere to be seen Im afraid.

10. How come the "No" "Maybe" and "Im Attending" buttons look good in IE but not so good in FF? Normally the other way about! See the screenshot attached

Overall I really like the way this is heading, the RSVP bit worked well for me and I really like that feature, However there is too much to do for me to include this in a current job Im afraid but its shaping up well. Keep up the good work!

• Vladislav
    • Dead Eye Dev

Hello,

@Donald McIntyre, the attached update should hopefully solve the elusive start date reversal bug. Since the issue was javascript-related (and, hence, so is the fix), you may want to clear cache (or refresh the editor page with ctrl+f5) to make sure the latest scripts are loaded.

@ThePath, thanks for the detailed feedback. The attached update should have the BR tag removed from the widget output. About featured image breaking your entire widget, what exactly happens - does it not appear at all, or appears in a weird way? Do the featured images show and could this perhaps be a case of CSS conflict with your theme, or possibly another plugin?

As for no spaces in output, that is likely caused by theme stripping HTML output. Some themes that do that have an option to prevent them from stripping HTML tags - is this perhaps the case with your theme too? As for non-registered users being able to RSVP easily, this is why we integrated Facebook and Twitter logins into the plugin. You just have to enable them and configure in plugin settings.

As for the attendees widget, it only appears when viewing a single event, and only if there are some RSVPs to show. Otherwise, it won't appear in your sidebar.

@rickroberts, the attached update comes with front-end editing messages improved, and you can tweak them further by setting up the translations file. As for the issue you're experiencing with calendar tips, depending on how you implemented the sidebar, it could be a z-index issue. Can you please try to set the z-index property of the popup element to a really high value in firebug and see if that helps?

• marcusjwilson

Hi Folks -

Just found a possible bug... On setting up Event Submission page from the front end, I'm getting a problem with Submission.

When I ented a test event and click "Submit" at http://ambition.floatspace.org.uk/submit-event/, the event IS posted, but the user does not get a "Success" message - they just see the "Waiting" icon spinning around. Clicking "Submit" again then results in multiple entry for the event in the database.

Are others experiencing this problem in Beta 7?

m

• rickroberts
    • Flash Drive

Hey, VeBailovity. Your z-index problem fixed me up. I haven’t yet installed the latest eab version because I have done so much editing. I will have to diff each file to sort it all out.

I want to redirect people to a Liability Waiver page after they submit an event. What is the best way to go about that. I thought about adding a link to the green message that comes up after RSVP, but people don’t read.

Thanks again for excellent work. I look forward to watching eab mature.

• rickroberts
    • Flash Drive

Here’s an idea for future development. It would be awesome if the event creator could create a report/list of all attendees and select which fields to include. Would be like a guest list one can check off.

In my case it would be:

Attendee Name
    Emergency contact name & number
    Medical/Allergy info
    Liability Waiver on file yes/no

All of these fields are in the Buddypress db.

Just thinking. I might see about hiring a MySQL jockey to help me out.

• Giovanni

Amazing so much work progress. If I weren't traveling I would chip in more BUT I agree with:

The_Dominion

It is important that:

- you have multiple ticket types
    - you do not allow RSVP for those ticket types that need payment ... it becomes confusing.

Looking forward to 3.0.

Giovanni

• Jason

Just looking for something like this and here it is!!

ANy chance of getting this working with the Premium plugin?

That way only paying members of my site can post events?

Would that be difficult to implement?

• CathieHeart

I've just started trying this event management plugin for a client build as they'll be running events.

I've tried to create an event that would have two days of webinars for two hours on both Friday & Saturday starting from 8pm till 10pm. Posts fine but then keeps messing the dates up http://clientsof.cathiegraphy.com/PartnerPromotions/events/2012/03/second-test-event/

In addition it would be great to be able to delete the second date on the event instead of having to create a brand new event again.

Ps. It now appears that my main events page fails to load :S
    http://clientsof.cathiegraphy.com/PartnerPromotions/events/

• rickroberts
    • Flash Drive

Hey, devs. I have the Upcoming Events widget set to display the next 10 events, yet only two are showing up. The widget is only looking in the current month for what it should display. Can you tell me what to change for now until this can be addressed in a future release? Thanks much!

• Vladislav
    • Dead Eye Dev

Hello,

@marcusjwilson, the proper slug is "my-events" (just like in the URL), so your code should work for $bp->bp_nav["my-events"] key.

@rickroberts, unfortunately the upcoming events widget uses a monthly collection to get the events for display, for performance reasons. Changing this is possible, but it's not totally trivial task - it would involve adding a collection class that isn't capped at the next month (it could pretty use the current upcoming collection class as basis and just change the top month limit). Next step would be getting the upcoming widget to work with the new collection instead of the old one. One note though, I would really recommend keeping some future date as the top limitation, as the collection could easily pull a lot of events otherwise, especially if there are recursive events around.

Of course, we're already looking past this version and making plans for the next one. There were a lot of awesome suggestions that didn't make it into this one, but will definitely be a part of the next version.

• fitoussi

@rRick,
    you can copy and paste this code in your sidebar. it will display your events (title, and date) by date. just change the number in "$count="10"" to the number of posts that you want to display.

<?php query_posts( array( 'post_status' => 'publish' , 'post_type' => array( 'incsub_event' ) , 'meta_key' => 'incsub_event_start' , 'orderby' => 'meta_value' , 'order' => 'ASC'   ) ); ?>

<?php if ( !have_posts() ) : ?>
                        	<p>No Upcoming Events</p>
                    	<?php else: ?>

<?php while ( have_posts() ) : the_post(); ?>

<?php static $count = 0;
    						if ($count == "10") { break; }
    					else { ?>

<div class="event-holder">
    						<div class="event-title">
    							 <h3><a href="<?php the_permalink(); ?>"><?php the_title(); ?></a></h3>
    						</div>
    						<div class="event-details">
    							<?php $start_date = get_post_meta( $post->ID, 'incsub_event_start', true ); ?>
    							<?php $d = substr($start_date, 8, 2);
                               		  $m = substr($start_date, 5, 2);
                               		  $y = substr($start_date, 0, 4);
                               	?>
    							<?php echo date("l, F j, Y", mktime(0, 0, 0, $m, $d, $y)); ?>

</div>
                        </div> 

<?php $count++ ; } ?>
                        <?php endwhile; ?>

<?php endif; ?>
  • rickroberts
    • Flash Drive

Hey, guys. Couple of issues with the Upcoming Events widget now that I have eab in use with my client:

- Should show more than just what is coming in the current month. That doesn’t make logical sense, especially as one moves to the end of the month. If you are concerned about recurring events gumming up the works, how about having it look forward X number of weeks instead of current month?

- Events that have happened already continue to show in the widget.

- Events are not in chronological order

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.