New Install, delete .htaccess?

Hi,

I'm making my first install of Wordpress MU/Buddypress and bbPress later. I just wanted to confirm the instructions from wpmudev on deleting the .htaccess file that's included in the installation?

Does it conflict with something? Normally you'd never delete .htaccess for a php application due to the redirect support, etc.

• Scott
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

It's right in the online installation manual off your menu, I also noticed a couple other spots that might be outdated or had issues. There's no "next" links on any of them either to proceed to the next page/section too, you have to go back on the browser to continue.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/wpmu-and-buddypress-installation/

Next question would be if anyone can post a correct .htaccess then? Or will the default htaccess file that was included in the zip file work? I wasn't sure if the wordpress or Wpmu install wrote or customized it.

I am having a problem right now with the edublog theme where the register link/button isn't going to a valid page, so hopefully the .htaccess fixes that.

I'm using Plesk 8.3 on a dedicated server of mine. So the only backup I have is the original file that came with the installation.

• Aaron
    • CTO

That step was to remove any previous .htacess file you may have, as WPMU creates a new one based on when you run the install page. I think it could be clearer.

I am having a problem right now with the edublog theme where the register link/button isn't going to a valid page, so hopefully the .htaccess fixes that.

What's it linking to? In a few of our themes that link is just part of the sample text that you should customize in the theme options.

• Scott
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

It's the "join here" link, it currently goes to /register.

I looked at the official live edublogs.org site, looks like it should be pointing to /wp-signup.php

Does the child theme need to be edited in a text editor to customize it further, or was there a page in WP MU admin panel to further configure the theme?

I'm still looking around the MU settings, just a little confusing after coming from a custom php app similiar to WP+MU and trying to sort out the whole WP + MU + BP. My goal is to get a service going similar to edublog with a totally different niche and features.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.