New membership site for a private community

Hey there,

i'm planning to have a site for a private community.

These are the features i'm aiming for:

- public and private content (private = members only)
- closed registration, the admin should be able to enter an email adress and the receipient should get a customized email with information and login data
- membership is free (no payment processing needed)
- users should have a simple profile with contact information, social links, and there location on a map
- there should be a map that displays all members (preferably google map)
- an automated email course should be setup for new members (something like one mail per day for 7 days or something). Probably no need to have that implemented.

I planned to set this up with buddypress as it should have the login on the site itself, and user profiles already included. How about restricting content to members only? How about google maps. I saw some maps plugins around wpmudev but i'm unsure if they enable me to do this easily.

For the theme i thought trying out the new upfront theme would be a great idea without having to design everything myself.

I'd be greatful for any input.

• Sajid

Hi @Helmi

Hope you are doing good today :slight_smile:

- public and private content (private = members only)

You can use Membership 2 plugin to restrict content access.

- closed registration, the admin should be able to enter an email adress and the receipient should get a customized email with information and login data

I have just answered exact similar question in this other thread that should work for you too.

You can simply create new user in WordPress admin panel and WP itself will send login details to the member. If the membership is free and you would have only one membership then create a default membership. All logged in users will be considered members of this membership if they have not joined any other membership. This is best membership type when you want to give access the members who are logged in on your site.

- membership is free (no payment processing needed)

As stated above you can create a default membership (Membership Type in Membership 2 plugin) and all logged in users will be considered members of this membership.

- users should have a simple profile with contact information, social links, and there location on a map

That can be done with BuddyPress as mentioned in your message. That's not a problem.

- there should be a map that displays all members (preferably google map)

We have google maps plugin that can also be used here but needs some custom coding. also I have found following free plugin that claim to do that, but its not updated from two years.
    https://wordpress.org/plugins/bp-user-profile-map/

- an automated email course should be setup for new members (something like one mail per day for 7 days or something). Probably no need to have that implemented.

I am afraid dripped email marketing is not possible with BP or M2. However Mailchimp does suppport this option to send out emails with interval.

For the theme i thought trying out the new upfront theme would be a great idea without having to design everything myself.

Yes, that's a good choice if you want a simple and classic theme with total control over each page and pages section. If you want something more fascinating with fancy profile views then you can try any different theme from WordPress themes

Take care and have a nice day :slight_smile:

Cheers, Sajid

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.