New MU Super Admin requests advice and suggestions

Back story: I do web design and hosting. I am also a huge Genealogy buff. I use The Next Generation of Genealogy Software (TNG) with a plugin that integrates it with WordPress. There is a growing community of TNG users who have integrated with WordPress and some would like to see the development of some kind of network or community.

I recognized a singular opportunity to use my business site to create a multisite network that would include the opportunity to sign up for a hosting account.

I have the network set up and functioning but I’m still fumbling around a bit. I think I need to create a mu-plugins folder for some plugins, but am unsure which should be there and which should be public.

Any advice and suggestions that would aid me in optimizing my network would be greatly appreciated! I am rather anal about security so any suggestions along those lines would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!!

• HeatherFeuer
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Do I understand the use of the mu-plugins folder in that plugins installed there can only be seen, activated and used by the Super Admin? So I would want to put my WPMU Dev Dashboard plugin in that folder and not the network plugins folder?

• Tom Eagles
    • Syntax Hero

@heatherfeuer

Ok let me try and explain this a bit clearer.

When running a multisite plugins need to be installed a tiny bit differently. You log into the network superadmin account and install the plugins there, once installed you click on plugins and you then have a list of all of them. At this point you have a choice either a) click network activate= every site can use them without you doing anything. Or alternatively you can visit their siite as a superadmin and install them there a normal site admin cannot do this.

the blogs mu folder is not the place for mutltisite plugins. MU means Must Use, any thing in that folder wordpress uses by default. Some plugins say that they must be installed there or have files copied there, these are more the exception than the rule. The plugins will cotain instruction when they should be placed there in the usage tab of our plugins pages.

Hope you find this helpful

Cheers

• HeatherFeuer

Tom, Thank you for the clarification. I had started to figure that out. I am now running into a different issue and I suspect it might have something to do with a missed setting or something.

At this moment I have two sites on the network — the primary network site, which is uniquelyyourshosting.com. That site has a dedicated IP on a shared server environment. That means that all my client accounts share an IP. I can add an A record pointing to the dedicated IP, but that means that now there are two A records pointing to two IP addresses.

When I try to access the dashboard to the second network site (not the primary one), the password isn’t accepted. I have the domain mapping plugin installed and both admin and login settings set to “mapped domain.” Should I be using a different setting?

• Tom Eagles
    • Syntax Hero

@heatherfeuer

try the user entered one, The plugin uses the same ip address so as long as you a wild card dns entry set up all subdomains will auto route through the main install and the domain mapping simply points the domain to the subsite when it reaches the wordpress install.

One more thing make sure no www. in the domain name in settings

Cheers

• HeatherFeuer

I finally reset the domain mapping to user entered domain for both. I did reset the site url without the www. The only time the www is used now is for SSL pages only since the www is part of the cert url. I suspect now that the issue I was having was a matter of propagation since I don’t have a problem.

I am curious about something, though. It seems that setting up the network has impacted the load times for my site(s). I am using Cloudflare’s DNS servers and wonder if that has anything to do with it although I don’t understand why it should.

I appreciate the input. As I said, I’m new to Multisite but I’m having a blast making my head hurt!

• HeatherFeuer

Okay, the network is starting to come together. Another question… Is it possible to install plugins to one networked site that wouldn’t be seen on the network itself? For instance, I would like to have a plugin installed only on my business site that would be visible for activation ONLY on that one site, not on the network.

• Tom Eagles
    • Syntax Hero

@heatherfeuer

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you, had a sick kid at home yesterday so unfortunately i wasn’t around. @jeff VanDrimmelen ‘s suggestion is spot on there. Also as long as plugins are not network activated site admins by default cannot see them, but if you log into their site you can activate them as a super admin if you have installed them.

Cheers

@jeff VanDrimmelen Many thanks for your input points on their way.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.