New page function all screwed up. New page changes old page!

When I click to make a new page, save it as a page with the new name, it brings up a prior page. That is ok since then I don’t have to put the 6 widgets I am using in the page again. I should be able to just edit the content on the new page and keep the structure with the header, footer and widgets.

I edit the new page in UF, save it and view it. Then I go back to the old page that the system presented when I created the new page, and it has saved that page the same as the new page.

So now I have two pages that are the same, and the old page has been overwritten with the information from the new page.

Two separate page names, same information, new page has overwritten the other page.

VERY FRUSTRATING, and again today I have spent hours doing the same crap trying to fix it.

Seems like every time I make good progress, some bug pops up and screws everything up.

I really like most aspects of this system, but please work out these crappy bugs that are costing me many hours of repetitive and UNNECESSARY work!

• Vinod Dalvi
    • WP Unicorn

Hi Charles,

Sorry to hear of the problem you are having.

I have tested it on my test site using latest version of Spirit theme and creating a new page in the upfront edit mode but i couldn’t reproduce the issue that you are facing.

Could you please share the screenshots of the issue so that i can better understand it and reproduce the issue?

Also would you mind if I logged in to your site and did some troubleshooting? This might help get to the bottom of this faster. If this is ok, just grant me temporary admin access to your site by clicking “Grant Access” button in the WPMU DEV Dashboard Settings as described on the following page and reply on this thread after granting it?

https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Best Regards,

Vinod Dalvi

• Charles
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

I just made a new page called “troubleshoot page”.

As you can see in UF, the page contents is about Colombia, which was the last page I created successfully. Every time I have made a new page since then, it begins with this content (as if it was a template), and when I edit it, both the new page and the original “colombia” page end up with the same content. That kills the Colombia page, which I have recreated several times after it has been screwed up.

• Charles

two screenshots for you…. troubleshoot page and colombia page, I have not edited the troubleshoot page yet. Please work with only those two pages if you are going to change anything. I do not have time (under a deadline). to recreate more pages. I am already way behind because this theme does not work as advertised!

• Vinod Dalvi
    • WP Unicorn

Hi Charles,

Thank you for your quick reply and granting the support staff access on your site.

I could confirm the issue on your site but couldn’t reproduce it on my test site.

Could you please tell me which hosting are you using to host your this site?

Was it working fine for you?

This can be due to plugin conflict on your site.

You can just try on your development site deactivating all other plugins as displayed in the following flowchart to know which plugin is conflicting if any.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/getting-support/

Regards,

Vinod Dalvi

• Charles

I disabled the breadcrumb plugin, which I installed this morning – but I made other pages today and it all worked fine. The breadcrumb plugin is the only thing I have added since I installed UpFront and Spirit. It was all working fine, even after the breadcrumb installation today. This happened tonight after I have made several other pages today.

I also see in another thread with Jasonhebert he has the same problem. If you figure it out for him, please post the solution here, too.

I am REALLY not looking forward to staying up half the night again wrestling with this bug-filled theme!

• Charles

disabled all plugins, same error. So I put the Colombia page (the one that keeps popping up as the “template” and changes every time, in the trash.

I created a “new-page-after-plugins-disabled/” and yes, it was the Colombia page again.

Then I found another page that also been all screwed up – the page we are using to build our list, with our aweber form in it – and it was the Colombia page! I changed that back (members is the name of the page), with the form for the list…

Then I went back to the “new-page-after-plugins-disabled/” and yup, it was the page with the form in it!

Please fix this, as I am at the end of my rope and my patience.

• Charles

I cannot do this:

“Could you please try using the solution posted by Jasonhebert in his previous reply?”

“well after some thought and backtracking this seems to be an issue with the “page” template. I realized I used the “about us” template for the other pages with no problems.”

“Seriously Charles, just ignore the “page” template and erase everything from the about us template and use that for now. Hopefully they get this sorted out asap.”

Every time I set up a new page, it changes the previous page.

Plus, I already edited the “about page” with the client’s information.

The problem is with how the pages save – it is overwriting other pages in addition to saving the page as is should be saved.

If you have a technique to create pages, please let me know, because this way it is working now is simply unacceptable.

This happened this evening, all other pages until today were fine.

• Charles

I really need to get this resolved ASAP. The client wants me to add content to the site this morning, and I am afraid if I add anything and save the page it will screw up another page on the site. It has been over 8 hours since I heard from anyone.

This is a serious issue.

• Charles

I set up a clean install… WP and Spirit on a test subdomain as specified above.

I am making new pages (13 pages I need to make today), and it is still doing what the previous install did.

Please help me fix this, I have until Monday to fix it.

I need help today, please.

Thank you

• Vinod Dalvi
    • WP Unicorn

Hi Charles,

I still couldn’t reproduce the issue on my test site but as the other member has also reported the issue in the following thread so i have flagged our SLS developer to look in to this issue.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/i-am-at-a-loss-i-cant-make-any-pages-i-managed-to-make

To further troubleshoot the issue, Would you mind if I logged in to your test site test.coralrestorationintl.org and did some testing by accessing it though FTP? This might help get to the bottom of this faster. If this is ok, just send log in info through our secured contact form: https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

– Choose “I have a different question”

– Include my name in the subject “Vinod Dalvi”

– Include the URL of this post in your message so that I may track this issue better

– Include login information (WordPress admin info username + password )

– Include FTP Details

Regards,

Vinod Dalvi

• Charles

Hi Vinod,

Yes, I will send the access to the test site. Thanks for taking a look.

I am building the existing pages that behave correctly, eagerly awaiting the fix to the page save/overwrite/formatting issues.

I will set the menu up so you can hop around easily and see the duplicate pages. I used the default template for trying to add new pages (and, in the trash section, attempts to use each template).

Please do not alter any of the following pages:

Home

About

Gallery

Blog

Contactus

Login

Good examples of duplication are the following a pages:

What We Do

CRF Method

(this is the page I saved that wrote over all the others, so I want to keep this one intact)

Where We Work

(this is where we will be adding a lot of pages – one for each country that leads to their own networked site in our system)

Bonaire

FTP is set up, will be in the secured email.

Looking forward to getting these bugs worked out.

Otherwise, I really like this theme and the editor!

• Charles

Five days, no response?

I have seen a reference in a couple of posts about resetting the theme back to default as the “fix” to the page duplication error. No way am I about to lose weeks of work on an error your team created, and now cannot fix in a timely manner.

Please, for the benefit of everyone that has been totally screwed by this, issue a statement to all users that clearly states what is happening with regard to the system.

We trusted you. You have not delivered.

I am scared to make even a simple change on my live site for fear of something else getting screwed up.

I have given full access to my test site and not heard one word back from you.

You people have really dropped the ball on this, and I suspect that many users besides me have unhappy clients at this point in time. I am hoping my relationship with the client I am using this theme for will survive at all at this point.

You guys really need to fix this ASAP!

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello @charles

I hope you are well today.

I am really sorry for the delay in your thread. Interestingly, only a few members reported about this issue but we could not replicate it at all :slight_frown:

And yes, I do believe just resetting the theme is not a good option. I have been marked this as a bug, so that the developer is already aware of this issue and working on a fix. I hope, the issue will be fixed as soon as possible.

We appreciate your patience on this.

Cheers

Ash

• Charles

Hi Ash,

This thread is nearly two weeks old. Since then there was an update, and the only solution was to go in and delete the tables that had the bug. I did that and totally rebuilt the site on a test subdomain. The live site we are not touching (it still has the bug).

We are almost ready to migrate the new site and replace the buggy site.

I have to say, this whole process has been one mess after another. I would have thought (and trusted you to have adequately tested) that the theme would have been ready to go. Instead, it seems as though you used us as an experiment on how NOT to release a new platform.

There are still some issues I am working through, but I love the look and feel of the editor and am hopeful you will make the improvements necessary to make this a big hit with site creators. You are not there yet.

I estimate I wasted at least 70 hours in this process (real cost of over $8,000 of my time I had to “eat” – not ethically billable to the client).

I hope you guys make it worth the trouble.

• Charles

Yes, once I wiped it clean and started over on the test area that function is fine. I am still way behind on delivering the site, but I am making progress and working through all the other bugs.

Love this platform, but is is still a mess.

Once it is all fixed, this will be great. I will have about 25 sites in this network within 2 years that way we are expanding.

As soon as we get this one right, I will start adding other sites.

Thank you, I know you guys are all working hard, but it is quite frustrating at times.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.