New Plugin Beta! Donations…

Hi All,

We’ve got a new toy for ya :slight_smile: Attached to this post is the beta version of a new plugin called, simply ‘Donations’.

We’re hopeful that it’s the easiest to use, most feature rich, donations / fundraising plugin you’ll find.

But of course we need your help in testing it out!

So, please can you download and install, have a play, and let us know any bugs, issues, feature requests or general improvements you’d like to use.

It should be pretty self explanatory, but to help you out there are two ways this works:

– Primary… you can insert fundraisers into any post or apge you like via the fancy new icon

– Secondary…. each fundraiser gets it’s own page too

Have a play, let us know how you go, as ever your feedback will be critical to how good this plugin is, so don’t hold back.

Cheers, James

Update, latest version attached

• Jack
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

I get an error when trying to add a donation:

Warning: Missing argument 2 for WDD::metakey_check(), called in C:UsersJackDocumentsWebsiteswww.firstbaptistmiami.devwp-contentpluginswpmu-donationsdonations.php on line 1062 and defined in C:UsersJackDocumentsWebsiteswww.firstbaptistmiami.devwp-contentpluginswpmu-donationsdonations.php on line 1109

This is a localhost install without multisite.

• Cole
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Its always the simple things that get ya. Basic now displays correctly. Intersted to get some feedback on how people might apply this. I think that will help me develop a few more available default styles. The newest version will now be at the top.

• James Farmer
    • CEO (of WPMU DEV, honest)

Hey Neo200, welcome to WPMU DEV!

Nice idea, I think we can definitely look into that as a 2.0 feature, wanna get the basic $s bit right first… but that’s definitely got possibilities.

Some sort of open field, where folk can donate time, resources, physical objects etc.!

• Neo2000
    • New Recruit

Hi James, Thank you for the welcome :slight_smile:

is there a way I can message you about this? I’ve actually worked on the details for thihs but I have no coding experience so it hasn’t developed beyond notes.

Thanks!

• James Farmer

It’s great to have ya as a member :slight_smile:

Feel free to post any details re: this here, we like to work collectively in that way, a bunch of members might have some great additions or ideas that they could add to yours.

Send it to me and it’ll probably vanish within under the 250+ emails I have to deal with each day :smiley:

• wecreateyou
    • The Crimson Coder

I’m getting this output at the top of the pages.

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/pagiatec/public_html/wp-includes/class-wp-walker.php on line 204

Warning: array_slice() expects parameter 1 to be array, string given in /home/pagiatec/public_html/wp-includes/class-wp-walker.php on line 217

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/pagiatec/public_html/wp-includes/class-wp-walker.php on line 222

Latest WP, created 1 fundraiser with 2 levels and these warnings appeared.

• Jonathan

Great stuff. Just did a quick scan through code – recommend you add a proper uninstall function that removes custom posts, and everything plugin related. I find that is one thing that wpmudev plugins absolutely need. Especially if we beta testing lol.

Also, it doesn’t come as a surprise that this is top notch coding, wouldn’t expect anything else from wpmudev. Bravo, and I am no expert, I learn by reading your expert developers code.

Will have a play around with it…

Jonathan

• timveach
    • New Recruit

Hi all.

Great start to a new Plugin.

However, I am getting the following output at the top of my page:

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/supamac7/public_html/davidht/wp-includes/class-wp-walker.php on line 204

Warning: array_slice() expects parameter 1 to be array, string given in /home/supamac7/public_html/davidht/wp-includes/class-wp-walker.php on line 217

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/supamac7/public_html/davidht/wp-includes/class-wp-walker.php on line 222

Any suggestions, please.

Thanks.

• Cole

I think I have tracked down the class-wp-walker error. What theme are you using?

Applying a goal at the moment provides a progress bar essentially. The idea is for future releases to allow for a more robust paypal adaptive payments solution. Think of kickstarter.com style of payments and rewards.

Currently you can’t set a per donation level reward but you could set a reward for any donation by including it in your thank you settings. You could send them to a secret page, post, or url.

Ovidiu, what do you mean by recurring payments? Are you talking about automatic recurring monthly donations?

• Ovidiu
    • Code Wrangler

Ovidiu, what do you mean by recurring payments? Are you talking about automatic recurring monthly donations?

Yes, that is exactly what I was referring to. I had a look at a couple of NGO donation pages to see what other features are out there and found recurring donations. Nothing I need right now, just trying to make suggestions :slight_smile:

• James Farmer

Recurring donations a la membership / pro sites subscription features… ftw!

Can we have the ability to add offer a redeemable gift at the different levels?

I think right at the mo the ‘thanks’ message could be used to give away a code, a coupon or a download?

Introducing different levels and all that could be a bit of a challenge, maybe a 3.0 feature? Can you point to any examples of that kinda thing in practice? Ways we could hack it in (without developing a massive new system)?

• Neo2000
    • New Recruit

Allow to create ‘campaign’ – each campaign has a funding goal, a volunteer goal, or both.

The widget options could provide a pick-list of defined campaigns to show, as well as progress image settings (vertical, horizontal, color, etc.) We could provide the same display options in a shortcode editor added to the post editor — like inserting an image into a post.

We’ll end up with a shortcode something like this:

[plugin-name campaign=Name of Campaign’

progress-bar=’type1’

progress-bar-color=’#390479’

progress-bar-orientation=’vertical’

display-title=’yes’

display-description=’excerpt’]

Progress-bar could be none, or the name of a supported type

Display-description could be ‘full’, ‘excerpt’ or ‘no’

Display-title could be ‘yes’ or ‘no’

There could be default settings for color and orientation, so that it would only have to be specified in the event that it needed to be overridden.

Need some way to mark a campaign as closed or inactive, so the pick-list doesn’t grow infinitely over time.

Might like to support creating a new campaign by copying an old one, so that it’s easier to create an annual appeal, once you’ve set up the first one.

make it possible to use both in post and as a widget.

• ivn
    • The Crimson Coder

It would be great if you could setup the required fields and disclaimers for a donation page. Official Campaigns require certain donation fields (employeer, occupation, etc) in order to process finance reports later on.

Also, a great feature would be to show who donated with the persons name in a widget slider or a fundraiser temperature thermometer bar for goals. These would be amazing!

Take a look at some of the campaign donation sites that are online today:

Ron Paul: https://secure.ronpaul2012.com/

Barack Obama: https://donate.barackobama.com/page/contribute/o2012-donate-today?source=primary-nav

Mit Romney: https://www.mittromney.com/donate

Rick Santorum: https://www.ricksantorum.com/donatenow/

You can see they all have the ability to select an amount (which you already have) and the ability to type in a specific amount.

• coreymj78

What we have been searching for, for some time now, is a multi-user crowd-funding plugin that would work on wordpress multisite, preferably with buddypress (but wouldn’t have to). And the following features are needed:

1. Every user can plugin their own PayPal API to accept donations.

2. Every user can post a project, setup their project video,

description, details, time limit, money goal amount, etc.

3. Every user can see how much time is left for their project, and how

much money they have raised so far, etc.

4. We need to oversee all this data from the administration panel,

with the ability to control everything.

5. We need the ability to plugin our own company PayPal API, in order

to receive commissions from every transaction.

6. There needs to be a mechanism by which all the PayPal payment

information is stored temporarily (i.e., the donor’s credit card is not

charged), until the user’s project goal is reached. And once the project

goal amount is reached, subsequent donation payments would be charged by

PayPal immediately.

Is this something you would be able to develop (?), and if so, can you give

us a project quote…? Essentially, we want to create our own Kickstarter.com type of site for our constituency. Thanks.

• suecline

+1 for automatic recurring monthly donations, list of donors and the ability to donate time/goods/services, those are all needed.

Not to be greedy, but I’d like some more payment gateways too – obviously for our client we’d like Payflow Pro, but even adding authorize.net would expand it’s utility significantly for the nonprofit crowd.

Thanks so much and great first effort Cole!

Sue

• James Farmer

Oh yeh, we’ve kinda figured that we’re not actually building a donations plugin here, but more of a fundraising one!

So… expect some pretty interesting new developments, and maybe a name change, coming shortly :slight_smile:

Roll your own kickstarter… FTW!

• MediaBridges
    • Flash Drive

Oh, our own Kickstarter would be great! We are a Community Media Center – offering Public Access channels, an LPFM radio station and free media classes to the public. We could fundraise for new equipment and programs!

Also, think about BuddyPress integration? I’d love to offer our producers a way to raise funds for expense compensation.

I’m looking at the plugin now. I think I’m going to keep the Donations Plus plugin found on wordpress.org for general donations and use this for fundraising.

• ThePath
    • The Bug Hunter

@mediabridges sorry just joining this conversation as Im just doing a church website and thought this plugin will fit in nicely, I just wondered why you would continue to use Donations Plus if this plugin does both jobs?

@james can we make sure that this plugin can be aimed at the simplistic “donation” user and the more complex “fundraiser”?

Also I wondered if I install this on a live site and play about with it a bit will I be able to do the auto update feature or will it need to be a manual upgrade because of name changes etc?

Cheers

• rozani

Hi,

I having some error like this during preview the page as Draft.

Fatal error: Call to undefined function has_post_thumbnail() in ........../wp-content/plugins/wpmu-donations/lib/template-functions.php on line 42

At the Fund Raiser page, I’m facing error below after I want to see the draft is saved after error seeing above:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function has_post_thumbnail() in ...../wp-content/plugins/wpmu-donations/donations.php on line 1188

After reading many comment, I think fundraising should be a simple plugin or widgetized plugin (free version I think).

Like recurring option or other features, I think the plugin should be a separate premium plugin.

A good kickstart, great effort, keep up dude!

Rozani

• Cole

Ah, I need to check for post thumbnails being available before using them. Thanks for posting that. I like the idea of simple donation buttons being shortcodes and widgets and the full on crowd funding having its own page etc. I will be posting an overhauled beta version shortly that should include a lot of the great ideas from everyone here. Thanks again for your input!

I have a question for the group. What are some of the typical rewards you might offer to your users? Digital downloads, coupon codes?

• msaizan
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Hey Cole – can you give us a timeline on the overhauled beta version release? I am just starting to build a fundraising campaign website and would love to use this plugin. I am using a kickstarter/crowd funding model and do need the simple donation option too – i can adapt as you suggest – send folks to a secret thank you page but would like to know what the road map and timeline is, if possible, before I commit – thanks!

• Cole

You can expect a new overhaul in the next 24 to 36 hours. I couldn’t say if this next beta will include the new payment gateway needed for crowdfunding but it will defiantly give us a chance to take a look at reward levels, simple shortcode and widgetized donation buttons. Not to mention some new styles for everything. Can’t say for certain if we will meet all the needs for your particular project… but I sure would love it if we could!

To be continued!

• msaizan

oh goody! well here’s the thing. I am creating a new hybrid model. I am not going to tie the tip to an all or nothing fundraising goal… i am going to tip the deal…tie the tipping point to the rewards – super cool upgraded rewards if we reach the funding goal by a certain date. So I doubt that I need paypal adaptive to accomplish that – although I am sure some of the folks here do need that – or stripe, authorize net.. yada yada…

very, very, very excited about this plugin! :slight_smile:

• msaizan

oh one of the things I would like to do is give the donors a special backdoor – i am going to have a for members only section for the people who have donated – we’re funding a photographic expedition and I want to be able to give the donors some VIP behind the scenes “stuff” – as far as you know is there a way to adapt or integrate to our good man Barry’s Members plugin?

• Eugene
    • Staff

This plugin is going to be a winner!

It would be great if there was an option for a person donating has the option of sharing their donation with their social network (twitter/facebook, etc). This would promote your cause amongst their followers.

This should be optional as some ‘donators’ may wish to keep their donation private for personal reasons.

• BD Wilson
    • New Recruit

Hey there :slight_smile:

I haven’t tried too much yet, but when I put “No” for “Apply a goal to this fundraiser?”, the display said “Goal Reached! $0.00 raised so far.” instead of not displaying a goal message.

I added a goal just to see what it looked like, and then changed the setting back to “No”, but it’s still showing the goal information.

Also, +1 for the sharing options!

• Cole

Hi musicwise.

I’ll give a quick update on this for everyone. I’ll be posting a new beta version here in the next few hours, and the team is looking to have this ready on the plugin listings at the beginning of next week. I will be including a lot of the great feedback from everyone in this thread like PayPal recurring donations, new shortcodes, widgets, etc.. Maaybe facebook sharing?! Stay tuned!

• Cole

Ok, the new “Fundraiser Plugin” is posted at the top and ready for testing. Please post any and all of your thoughts, requests, errors etc.

New version includes the following changes.

New Simple Donation Widget – easily create a paypal donation button for a sidebar or widget area with standard paypal donate button options as well as some extra options.

Fundraisers now include an option for recurring payments. The user sets their preference of daily, weekly, monthly, or yearly recurring donations.

Styles has been reduced to basic only for a short while while the WPMU team finishes making everything look beautiful as usual.

Look for new and updated versions all weekend. Next things on the list are

– Simple Recurring Payment Widget

– Social Sharing after donation “I just donated $x to this fundraiser and so can you!”

– Automatic reward fulfillment

• AndrewTraub
    • The Crimson Coder

On the “Create Suggested Donation Levels” I had entered an amount, title, and description. When I looked at the final page, the title and description I had entered where duplicates so I just deleted them and clicked update. But clicking update removed the suggested donation amount. I re-entered the suggested donation amount and clicked update. It removed the amount again. Now when I view the test page, no donation button is shown at all.

Here’s the url: http://www.first-aid-products.info/fundraisers/build-a-well-in-africa/

• Cole

Hey Andrew, sorry about that. I think I see the problem. You had entered the information updated the post and then tried to delete it afterwards? Or was this when you originally made the fundraiser? I’ll be getting a fix up for this shortly.

LJ – Look for a widget called Simple Donation Button in your Appearance -> Widgets menu. No shortcode required. Let me know if something is missing.

• Cole

New version up top.

Fixed the plugin still requiring a title even though it was supposed to be optional.

This should fix your issue Andrew. I took a small peak at the link you posted and it looks really nice. How might this plugin fit into your development?

• Neo2000
    • New Recruit

Quick Q – Can we get a list of features that you are going to release in this/next version. While this is probably a decent fund-raiser plugin, it doesn’t match my needs :slight_frown: especially after we started talking about crowd-funding and stuff. If we know what you’ll are building in for this version, then I know whether to wait or to continue looking.

Also, it’d be nice if this came up automatically at the end of every page in addition to creating a separate page just for the fund-raising. Right now it doesn’t seem to come up for me.

Thank you :slight_smile:

• Cole

Hey Neo2000, Thanks for your question. Firstly could you explain a bit more on what you meant about fundraisers showing up on the bottom of every page?

So the plugin shifted from donations to fundraiser based on some of the great input including your input above. And I have restructured the plugin with an eye on a crowd funding model. Now crowd funding for me brings to mind the kickstarter type of credit card authorization without capture until a certain goal has been reached. That particular payment feature won’t be available just yet, but is a planned feature. Although technically with the goal/progress and level system you can essentially get the same result.

The features slated for release will be :

Social sharing of donations

Simple PayPal Recurring Donation Widget

Better email management and thank you message management

3-4 new styles with appropriate action and filter hooks for customization.

Now, that being said I have kept an eye on a “campaign” model when adjusting everything to fundraising, and my goal is to quickly speed this plugin along to be a more robust crowd funding tool.

Some other things that I think could possibly make this plugin go far beyond just a simple donation system include Buddypress status integration ( UserX just donated to XXXX), allow for donation of time and resources. (donating time to a political campaign or food to a food bank).

While it’s true we have a development roadmap, it will always be responsive to the needs of people that use the plugin.

As usual I love to hear everyone’s input on these features. Thanks!

• msaizan

Cole – awesome job so far with the plugin development and being responsive to the feedback and moving very fast to boot. In an earlier thread I mentioned integration with membership plugin but actually Buddy Press would be STELLAR – very suited to this model – would definitely fit the needs –

So this rings up a question – are we still going to have an option for straight donations? I am “hearing that we will have the “all or nothing” kickstarter based model where the payments are adaptive – the payments are processed when the campaign is funded – which is totally Awesome – but/and I am hoping we will still have an option for straight donations – is that the case? I do hope so!

• Cole

hey msaizan, I envision simple donation collections being the heart of each fundraiser with extra options to turn on particular features for each campaign like the rewards or adaptive payments etc. Not to mention shortcodes and widgets that will only require a paypal email address to display a donate button on any post, page, or custom post type.

It will be fun to see how we could mesh buddypress with this. Anyone have ideas on this? I think buddypress activity updates for logged in users and multisite blogs owners would be a nice start.

• msaizan

Well let me just add here that access to the “VIP inner circle of sponsors and partners” IS one of the rewards I am offering to donors. If “you donate” at a certain level – you get the backstage pass as part of your donation. And we’re going to do some very cool things backstage!

• Cole

Newest Version 0.0.3 At The Top

– Fixed correct paypal currency displaying when redirecting to paypal

– Added in recurring donation display in donations section

– better shortcode insertion available for fundraiser page and simple donation button.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.