New Plugin: Fundraising

Heya All,

Woohoo!

We invite you to check out our brand new release (and Cole’s first here), Fundraising:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/fundraising

The idea behind this plugin is that it’s Donations, plus a whole heap more, so much so that it could even allow you to set up a Kickstarter style site!!!

As ever, as it’s our first formal release we’re really looking to your feedback, feature requests, bug reports and more… and we’ll be aiming to make the next version even better.

So, have a play, and let us know!

Cheers, James

• Moonworks
    • Code Wrangler

I've had a play and am very impressed by the plugin. Easy to set up and use.

There is just one small problem, when using the theme's own CSS, the 'suggested' and the amount have no space between theme.

I've tested various themes, and it is within the plugin, not the theme.

• Moonworks
    • Code Wrangler

Would it be possible to have a little extra functionality. I know, that’s always the way, a great plugin but people want even more.

I would like to set up a site, where indie film makers looking for funding could sign up and have their own page on the main site, sating what their film is and requesting funding, then each of the levels could be different things, such as donate $100 to be named an executive producer, donate $1000 to visit us on the set, etc.

The main thing that would need to be added would be the ability for each user to have their own Paypal account information for their page.

This could be used in other ways too, such as small businesses seeking funding, authors, etc.

• SteveDB
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Just some ideas from me.

Could this be tied in with membership levels to give new and recurring members a feel good factor that part of thier payment has gone to charity.

Also could a sugest a charity be included?

A choice of mutiple charities?

Thanks,

Steve.

• Cole
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Hey everyone! Thanks for all the great input as usual.

Let me give a quick breakdown of where we are and where we would like to go with this plugin.

The goal in the start was to setup a nice and easy donations framework with an big focus on developing the feature set into a robust fundraising platform. While the plugin works fine with BuddyPress, there are no integrated features for BP just yet. Good news is we are almost there! One of the biggest things on my list of upcoming features are better multisite and buddypress features. I think BuddyPress user donation pages with the ability for the site admin to allow or disallow users / groups to create donation pages would very powerful. I have also seen some fundraising pages that allow for a donation to be split among several recipients. I’m scoping out a multiple recipients feature that might address SteveDB’s point above.

Joe – thanks for catching that spacing error, I will get that fixed up.

I’ve enjoyed hearing the different ways people could use this plugin and I’m eager to improve upon the modest start here.

As always, please drop feature ideas or even just +1 another person’s idea.

• coreymj78
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hey, you shouldn’t really say “Create your own Kickstarter site” since the way Kickstarter works is…

1. A multi-user site where people can not only have their own separate projects, but accept donations by plugging in their OWN PayPal API / account. Are you saying your plugin would allow multiple users in a multisite to each plugin their own PayPal API / account to receive donations unique to them?

2. In addition to this, the owners of the site (i.e. Kickstarter) receives a 5% commission on every donation transaction that occurs on their site, that’s how they do business. Is there a way to specify a master PayPal account to receive this type of commission?

3. In addition to this, when people donate, the credit / debit cards are only verified as being valid and the charges don’t actually go through until the project goal is met (usually 30 days from starting point). This provides more incentive for people to give since they can be assured that they will only be giving to a successful project. If the project is no successfully funded, the donations to not go through.

Does your plugin meet all of this criteria?

Thanks.

• Cole

@joe – thanks, glad to release something for the community, and now I’m ready to keep making it better!

@puccino – thanks for catching the division zero issue and the missed translation, I will be posting a 1.1 update for these and a few other issues very soon.

@coreymj78 – your correct in your break down of kickstarter. The plugin doesn’t meet these criteria just yet. The points you have outlined are scoped to be included in future releases soon though. I would like multisite admin to allow and disallow user/group creation of fundraisers as well as set a % to be taken from the transaction if desired. This along with the non capture / verify payment methods will be made possible in the beginning using paypal adaptive payments. These API settings would end up being set either on the multisite level or as an administrator. On a per blog basis you would only have to include a valid paypal email address If I recall.

I’m considering create a new requested features thread or maybe just continue to use this thread to help me devise the best system for accommodating all the different amazing uses I have heard so far.

• winning

Great plugin! Nice work!

How to questions:

1. How to set up to show list of backers with option to hide or show each individual’s amount donated? preferably set by each individual as someone want to show the amount they have donated, but someone do not.

Examples:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1809291619/what-makes-a-baby/backers

http://www.indiegogo.com/80Dances?c=pledges

2. How to set up to allow comments for each fundraising event?

Examples:

http://www.indiegogo.com/80Dances?c=comments

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1809291619/what-makes-a-baby/comments

3. How to set up to show updates posted by the author?

Examples:

http://www.indiegogo.com/80Dances?c=activity

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1809291619/what-makes-a-baby/posts

Thanks!

• Ren

very nice, this has some potential. i have been thinking of developing a site where this is just the functionality I need, once it’s a little more like kickstarter. there is a good chance that I may have a use for it in it’s current state too.

Thanks

• coreymj78

@coreymj78 – your correct in your break down of kickstarter. The plugin doesn’t meet these criteria just yet. The points you have outlined are scoped to be included in future releases soon though. I would like multisite admin to allow and disallow user/group creation of fundraisers as well as set a % to be taken from the transaction if desired. This along with the non capture / verify payment methods will be made possible in the beginning using paypal adaptive payments. These API settings would end up being set either on the multisite level or as an administrator. On a per blog basis you would only have to include a valid paypal email address If I recall.

Wow, you would be our best friend for life if you created this. This is exactly what we need. I would love to work with you in sharing some of our (we are a media company of 30 years) ideas for functionality and even marketing. Could we open up a private dialoge somehow? We’d also be extremely interested in being part of a focus group and beta group for this. Could I email you directly?

Thanks!

• Cole

Woohoo, love seeing all the interest in this plugin. I am very excited for the future.

@winning – you have version 1.0 installed? Try setting an amount for level 1 update the post and then try adding a level. I should have a better system for this when I upload my upcoming new version.

@coreymj78 – We like to have things out in the open here. It can allow for a real nice robust set of ideas and considerations from many different angles. That being said I want everyone in the discussion to feel like they are having a private dialog =). If I can build this system out in a way that can easily handle multiple and different types of fundraising platforms I will be a very happy developer.

I have begun building buddypress integration and the no-charge till goal is reached payment gateway so this fundraising train is on the move!

Please feel free to keep posting suggestions, requested features, etc. It really helps me build things globally to work for everyone.

Thanks everyone!

Cole

• robobear
    • New Recruit

thanks guys. nice plugin.

I think “not charging a donors card” until the goal is met should be a priority

I think this has to do with Amazon Payment which also means it would work only for US (not an option for some of us), although I may be wrong.

• pandap
    • New Recruit

I installed the plugin and I am using it on a WP multisite. Is there a way I can have multiple campaigns on a non multisite by multiple users? And if not, on multisite how can I make the main page for new site registrants go to the campaign page? Thanks

• Moonworks
    • Code Wrangler

Can we make this as option because some cases we need to charge donors card whether the goal is met or not ?

:slight_smile:

+1 from me too

If used for a general fundraiser, this would not have to meet the target, the target would be there as a sign of how much they require for a certain project, and more a hope than a target.

• dreamwc
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

THANKS GUYS! Another awesome addition to the trusted WPMU Dev Community! I know people are going to go nuts with this one, I know I will. I already have so many clients that will get so much use out of this. No more custom coding for me either, hook-it-up and move on! =)

• Cole

My idea has been to create a starting fundraising page or project that you would then apply a new fundraising goal to. The user should be able to set fundraising goals for a particular date range and then turn on or off options like withholding the donation amount until goal is reached. Ideally this option being available on a per blog or per user basis could be allowed or disallowed by the multisite administrator as well.

Big Big update in the works everyone! Thanks again for all the input, keep it coming.

Depending on the scale & feature set of the new update I might post a release candidate on the forums for some feedback and testing.

• Dean Kaus
    • The Bug Hunter

This looks to be a really great addition. I was wondering if anyone from the US has checked into any rules or laws for collecting donations, gifts, etc for charity’s? I know many years ago I was in a band and we had raised several thousand dollars to help parents of a sick kid pay their medical bills. A couple of years later I got hit up with a big bill from the IRS because I didn’t claim it as income. The late fees and penalty’s cost me almost as much as I had raised. So if any one has any information that would be a great help.

Thanks!

PS Almost forgot my original question. Will there be a was possibly to have the donations go directly to the charities account? This way we shouldn’t have to list it as income, or income from gifts.

• Moonworks
    • Code Wrangler

Things are better here in the UK. As long as we are working with a charity, we can bring in the cash and pay it staright out. If we are just fundraising generally though, it needs to be shown as income and then outcome and then ebcomes tax deductable.

• msaizan

Hey Cole, what’s the timeline for BIG update? Very excited. Loving the plugin so far – just fyi i am getting a similar warning:

Warning: Division by zero in D:wampwwwmwp-contentpluginsfundraisinglibtemplate-functions.php on line 56

sounds like you already know about it…

so whatcha thinking on the timeline for the upgrade?

• ShickWebDesign

Great plugin! It definitely fills a need. The only thing I could possibly want in addition to this would be to accept payment through Stripe. I have been trying to move all of my payment processing from paypal to stripe and having this option would be great!

• Cole

Fundraising 2.0 has a new payment API, which will allow for easy integration of multiple payment gateways. Currently 2.0 will only include Authorize and PayPal with more gateways on the way. You can expect the version very soon.

• ns
    • New Recruit

@winning

PayPal are too strict. I received $XXXX for a domain purchase and they banned my account, that’s why I can’t use them, their call centre handling is horrendous and unhelpful.

All the other payment gateway’s I’ve used have been amazing and rate them second to none service! Particularly Authorize, 2Checkout and Google Checkout.

No problem… just my 2 cents :slight_smile:

• coreymj78

I agree, in fact there is an entire article in the latest issue of .Net magazine (developer magazine) about how businesses were burned by PayPal and several cases where PayPal either witheld funds for a month or putting a hold on accounts for no reason forcing people to borrow money from the bank just to maintain services to their customers. PayPal of course just giving a canned response. After everything we have heard, we are reconsidering using them in some of our new sites as well. I believe Authorize has been said by several to be much more flexible than PayPal as well. I don’t know, I’m still researching, but I’d say it’s definitely worth doing your homework on, especially if your a business who will be extremely dependent on the payment gateway to provide services to customers.

• mark dale
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Great Plugin, I echo the desire for a Payment gateway other than Paypal – due to their over strictness sometimes – AlertPay has been recommended

Lots of other great ideas for features as well – keep up the good work !!

Mark

• Cole

Fundraising 2.0-RC-1 has been released. Head on over to the plugin page to get it.

Thanks to all the users and support team for your patience and for the great feedback to make this plugin better for the whole community.

Since this thread is still stuck to the top of the forums, feel free to either post any issues, questions, or feature requests here if you please. You can always just start a new support thread as well :slight_smile:

• msaizan

Thanks for continuing to improve this already awesome plugin Cole…

I too have heard some horror stories about Pay Pal from the merchant’s perspective. I love to use them as a consumer – it’s very convenient…I am one of their VIP customers ( that gives you some insight into how much money I spend on web tools and technology) but from the perspective of a merchant provider I have heard they take a lot of power into their own hands…holding up payments for as long as six months with out notice and with very little explanation to the merchant and an unwillingness to make it right.

I have heard some really good things about Stripe and I am looking into moving towards Stripe as a payment gateway..

• Cole

Authorize.net has been developed but delayed for a short period of time.

With the 2.0 addition of a new Gateway API inside fundraiser additional gateways are much easier to implement and will be heavily considered for future releases. Any other Stripe users interested?

• ns
    • New Recruit

Oh that’s a bit disappointing, was really looking forward to Authorize.net.

Don’t you need a SSL certificate to use Stripe on your website? The whole setting up of stripe puts me off, I don’t like getting into configuring codes… incase it goes wrong.

How about implementing 2checkout?

• msaizan

well some people, (like myself) don’t mind setting up SSL. I think the idea here is for the plugin to offer a variety of different options besides just paypal – because everybody has their own preferences…Stripe has become very popular lately and for good reason, and if the demand for it is there, I would like to see it included.

• coreymj78

@ns, not always true. Paid doesn’t always mean more features or better quality. Actually, I’d say I’ve found the free equivalents (feature wise) of most of WPMU Dev’s plugins just by searching around, although there are few plugins they have in their package that are unique to them and stand out from the rest (like Membership, MarketPress, etc), most of their stuff can easily be replaced with a free plugin or simply by using a php function in your theme’s functions.php file.

This is not a smash against WPMU obviously since I’m a happy member and will stay a member. The reasons for this are many. The main value I see in my subscription here is the support. I value support above all. The “worth” you speak of in my opinion is in the level of support, not just the number of features a plugin has. This is why paid is better because paid plugins are the ones that are usually supported.

And just to mention, I also like the way WPMU has sort of rounded up all the most convenient plugins (whether they have modified the plugin code extensively or slightly or written from scratch) and offer them all in one subscription package complete with support on everything WordPress and BuddyPress as well. It was incredibly smart on their part and a good marketing incentive for folks.

Knowing what I know now, I wish I would have thought of this myself years ago. Instead we are working on creating more of a “platform” with many components, which I won’t go into because I’d be giving too much away (heh). But all I can say is this crowd-funding component will really enhance this tremendously, but we are waiting for a few key features first.

Anyway… we are looking for a crowd-funding plugin that will give each user the ability to enter in their own PayPal API key to directly receive their donations into their own PayPal account (or other gateway options). Each member could have their own gateway basically. Then, a 5% commission of every donation transaction that occurred through the site would go into a “master” PayPal account which was owned by the site admins. The site admins would also be able to manage all the user accounts, get access to all the information and payment reports and activity occurring on the site. And preferably, this would all be compatible with multisite (obviously) and BuddyPress.

This is how Kickstarter works and it’s how you could turn a crowd-funding site into a business. Because to say that this plugin allows you to start your own Kickstarter site is misleading. There is a huge difference obviously between a simple single-gateway donation plugin and a Kickstarter site. We have talked to many developers and they all say it’s possible to create a WordPress plugin like this, it’s just a matter of time before someone does. This plugin has the potential to become what I described and there are others like IgnitionDeck who also want to develop something like this.

And you never know, there could be something in the works right now that no one even knows about yet. The fact is, crowd-sourcing / crowd-funding is the latest thing and it’s getting bigger. The simple fact that this post remains at the top of the forum list just emphasizes this fact. Just a matter of time.

• winning

@coreymj78

I think what you just described was already done in Version 1 to most extend.

Set up a WPMU, network activate this plugin, use Pro Site plugin to charge people to create a sub site to use this plugin. Done.

The only thing left out is the % commission you want for the “master”, but to get started, you can now charge a flat fee with Pro Site, monthly or annually “platform fee”, which may give you some advantages over those who charge based on %. You can say, screw them, on our site, what we do here is: you (the crowd-funding-ers) do not have to pay more if you raise more money, all you need to pay is $__ (fixed cost per month or per year), that’s it.

When the % commission piece is developed and added, you can add that as additional income stream, like this website does: http://www.biddingforgood.com/online-auction-services/services/pricing.htm

Thoughts?

• webpresencenetwork
    • Flash Drive

I am having a hard time entering my Application ID in the settings. I enter it, then click “Save Changes”, and then it disappears. I tried this on IE & Chrome but no luck. Any ideas? Another thing to mention is that I just received my APP ID from X.com & it is stated to be conditionally approved. So, I’m assuming that my Live APP ID should be good to go.

Another problem (though it may be because I don’t have the Application ID entered) is that when I test out making a pledge, I can’t get past the page with the “Complete Pledge” button. Whenever I click the button, it loads the previous page with the different reward levels. It won’t take me to PayPal. Is this because I don’t have the Application ID entered? Or am I missing something?

• Cole

@ Winning

There is a good framework for everything you are talking about using a BuddyPress component. This was limited to just the activity feed for pledges on this version.

User created fundraisers on the front end is something locked into the roadmap (including your % taken out suggestion). A lot of extra development is associated with the new BuddyPress forms required for that, but this is a high interest item for sure.

• coreymj78

@winning, no the entire business model in crowd-funding is based upon that percentage and other percentages, it’s just the way it works and Kickstarter lives by it, and it’s why they are so successful. It’s almost like they have found that “magic formula” and really got it right, even down to the way they market themselves, their business model, methodology, time limits on projects, and so on and so forth. I would be extremely hesitant to go as far as using a completely different business model for a major crowd-funding business without even knowing if people would go for it or not. If something is off, your in for a huge loss in the end, especially if you’ve paid a lot to get your business setup and invested in web development costs and everything else. In all the research we’ve done on all the successful crowd-funding sites out there (and there are many) we’ve come to the conclusion that the percentage model is the way to go. One thing that sticks out to me is, a 5% commission doesn’t seem like much to ask from an individual project creator on your site (and so to them seems completely reasonable, which it is) but in the larger picture taking into consideration the amount of transactions going through your site once you build up your user base, that 5% will net you a heck of a lot more income than just charging people a flat subscription (which to even get close to competing with the 5% would have to be a ridiculous subscription cost which no one would probably pay). Much much more reasonable to let people in free of charge so they can begin creating projects immediately with no major barriers and simply take 5%.

@coles, Good to know it’s on the roadmap, keep us updated!

• AndrewSepic
    • Flash Drive

Hi Guys (and Cole!),

Thanks for releasing an update so quick. It seems like there have been some nice improvements. The Fundraising Panel widget superbly offering a very important feature.

I’ve got one feature request that I think others would like to see also..

Goal setting is only allowed now for advanced campaigns where the payment is held until the goal is reached. I understand in crowdfunding sites this may be the way things work, but for the non-profit I’m working with at the moment, Goals are still good to have, yet they may not be reached.

Goals are a great way to encourage donations, a progress bar a great way to keep people informed. Allowing transactions to be processed only at completion of the goal should be an option, not a requirement for the fundraiser.

Is it possible to get this implemented?

This would give more flexibility and the important features of a progress bar and goal for those who aren’t always sure they are going to meet it :slight_smile:

So far the new update takes the cake and gives all the feature I could ask for, but this one is pretty big..

Any +1’s out there?

• winning

@Andrew & @msaizan @cole: just like I suggest in another thread, you may just need to modify the “simple donation” back to version 1 and add “# of people donated” and “___ days left” above or under the progress bar, and also have the donation amount and button on the same page as everything else.

It would be nice to create a shortcode to display all those in a widget or post with options to turn on/off some parameters.

Nice job :slight_smile: Thank you!

• tunelab
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Is there any plan to post a guide/how-to on what exactly to say when applying for a new app on x.com? (I only even know to do that because of a post here when the URL in the plugin didn’t work and I searched here.) Now that I’m there it’s asking if I need chain payments, preapproved payments, and has an entire page asking for certain boxes to be checked and descriptions to be entered, and quite frankly I’m just making educated guesses.

If requesting this app is required to use the plugin’s features, it would be nice to have instructions of some sort. I know it’s still new, so I guess I’m requesting it for the future.

• Cole

I'm realizing the application process has changed a bit since the last time I used it. We are working on some updated documentation.

Your looking to turn on Adaptive Payments -> Pre-Approvals -> On Demand Payments. I attached a screenshot.

• webpresencenetwork
    • Flash Drive

@tunelab

I agree with you. I entered my responses without knowing exactly what I was doing and the approval process was stalled as they are now requesting more information.

Below is the feedback I received from x.com. Just posting this here as this may help people answer the questions more thoroughly so as not to delay the approval process.

x.com –

Thank you for your submission. I see you are planning on implementing a Crowdfunding model using Adaptive Payments. Could you please provide us with some more information on how your implementation will work? We have some more questions if you wouldn’t mind answering them for us:

1) Do the funds go directly from a Supporter of a project to the Project owner?

2) How long will the campaigns typically be active for?

3) What happens if a campaign falls short of its funding goal?

Typically the Crowdfunding models we support make use of our Preapproval payment API, as Crowdfunding itself is highly regulated and the acceptable methods of implementing it are controlled as they violate our Acceptable Usage and Aggregation Policies. The aggregation issue is one that may affect your existing implementation due to the how the Payment Flow is set up at present. Thanks.

• Cole

@webpresencenetwork – In regards to that email from PayPl email.

1. Short answer is Yes. This is obviously dependent on how you are implementing your site. ( You doing business for someone else and promising to pass the money along to them outside of the paypal payments API would be against policy ). The answer would still be yes in future implementations of front-end buddypress users being able to create fundraisers and input their paypal account information to accept the pre-approval payment directly.

2. This is up to you. The calendar picker is limited to 11 months but according to the adaptive payments documentation pre-approval payments can be setup for a maximum of 1 year in advance.

3. All pre-approved payments will be processed once the goal has been reached. Once a goal is reached payments will be pre-approved and executed immediately. If a goal is not reached the pre-approved payments are allowed to expire automatically on the paypal system.

When clarifying these details you may want to mention that the goal can not be changed after the first pledge has been taken.

Hopefully this might help a few more people with this process while we compile more in depth documentation.

• BlueGoat
    • Flash Drive

Can super admin for multisite charge a specified % commission taken from each recurring donation for a fundraising campaign? For instance, the super admin charges a 4% commission on each donation a fundraiser receives and the remaining balance immediately goes to them. Or the fundraising campaign would be run in a similar manner as on Kickstarter, where it’s all or nothing. The last option would be fundraiser opting to pay a higher % commission if the fundraising goal isn’t met but they would still receives the funds that are raised from their fundraising campaign.

For group funding, like Kiva, the commission percentage would either be waived all together by the super admin or the commission % would be split evenly amongst all the recipients in the group and be paid by all the members involved in the group. Each recipient wouldn’t pay 4% just to be fair, the 4% would be split evenly amongst the number of members in the group. But others may opt for each recipient in the group to pay 4% or other specified % commission on the amount that is given to them from the total $ amount raised. I know i luv complicating things. :wink:

• Cole

I have been looking into the commission question for quite sometime now. There are some issues right off the bat that put some road blocks up. PayPal is really the only gateway that facilitates the automation of this type of payment, but using the pre-approval payments this becomes much harder if not impossible. Automating a % on subscriptions payments in PayPal is not something they allow.

Taking a % is something that I consider a must have feature set in the future, especially with the build out of the buddypress component. I have some other ideas on how me might achieve the same result while staying within the constraints of the payment gateways, but more research is required.

• BlueGoat
    • Flash Drive

Can we integrate Amazon flexible payments thru custom coding to handle charging a commission on each donation or when the project reaches it’s funding goal or a higher commission if the funding goal isn’t reach? Oh in the case, splitting the total donation amount between multiple recipients?

• Cole

@bluegoat – I’ve looked into the multiple recipient idea. The problem is providing the same possibilities for all the gateways. It could create a lot of confusion if each gateway had a different array of available options for it.

@joe – all questions welcome Joe. :slight_smile:

• BlueGoat
    • Flash Drive

@coles :disappointed: Is there currently a way to restrict comments only to people who have actually donated to a campaign? Is there a way for people to post Ask A Question to project owner to address any concerns regarding a campaign or project they maybe interested in donating too? Lastly, how do we display the project owners’ location (i.e. Country/Province)?

• Dean Kaus
    • The Bug Hunter

Hello @chucklasker Thanks for checking back in. I know that you shouldn’t have to do that on your own, but again glad that you did.

I haven’t heard anything in a while either and think that we should flag @cole to see if he has an update.

I know that with the new version of WordPress 3.4.2 out there all of the developers have been working hard to accommodate the changes needed.

I did read somewhere that there was progress.

On another note have you been using (is it Strip or Stripe) for very long? I was just curious as i still use PayPal since I had so many problems with several of the other gateways. Then most recently I add the ability to take credit cards on my smartphone via Go Payment. Really cool app especially since just above where the clients signs their name on my phone, there is a place for them to leave a tip. I’m averaging an extra $5 extra for my smaller sales! Cool stuff.

Hopefully @cole will jump in here soon. Thanks for your patience

• Dean Kaus
    • The Bug Hunter

@chucklasker Thanks for the points, always appreciate them.

I was hoping that @cole would have jumped in her by now. If you don’t hear anything within a day or 2 PLEASE post here again so I can follow up and see If I can get things on the ball.

Also just on another note have you backed up your database and installed the latest 3.4.2 version of WordPress? Also have you checked to see if there was an updated version of the Fundraising Plugin?

well going on 3am here so I’m going to get some rest…

Later

• chucklasker
    • Flash Drive

Thanks, Dean.

I use Square on my phone, similar to Go Payment. I dropped my PayPal account a year ago when I built a website for $3k, the client contested the charge after I had delivered, and PayPal just let it happen. Lost $3k because PayPal was between me and the credit card company. So I dumped them. BTW the client is still using my site design they paid zero for.

I actually haven’t used Stripe yet – want to for this one site to accept donations.

• Dean Kaus
    • The Bug Hunter

Wow that really shocks me! Especially if they are still using the site. What did the client say (or what they told Paypal) was the reason for the charge back? I actually had a client try to renegotiate my price after I did their video. I just told payPal that they approved the final edit and signed off on it.

I personally would use Snagit and get the screen captures to prove that they are still using your work and since they asked for a refund you want your payment reinstated.

For the larger payments like that I actually require a written signature and or payment up front.

So sorry to hear that happened to you. What part of the world are you in? depending on your location you may be able to get a settlement above and beyond just because of the extra hassle.

i had a similar case where an art designer used my photography (claimed that it was his work) After I proved that it was clearly my work then he claimed that the small fee he paid gave him the copyright. No way. So I talked to a lawyer and he proposed that they offer a fair settlement or we were going to sue for the maximum $250,000 and seek jail time as well. So after we served the art director and the companies marketing directer as well as the CEO. I quickly received prompt payment plus an additional $1,000 for my troubles and they paid all of my legal fees.

• chucklasker
    • Flash Drive

I live in Hawaii, client in Connecticut. I submitted screen shots, actual signed documents from the client, emails of them saying they were happy, everything that could possibly be needed. Credit card company still gave the chargeback and PayPal did not further contest it.

I looked into suing. Too much time involved, I just moved on. I did post a bunch of stuff on different blogs about their business, and with my SEO knowledge my posts actually come up before their site when searching their business name, so maybe that hurts them a bit. Otherwise, I don’t even think about it. But I see it as a betrayal by PayPal. A lot of other horror stories like mine caused me to just walk away.

It’s a brand new site, with newly installed Fundraiser plugin, so it’s definitely the latest versions….

Thanks for the help. I will check back…

• Dean Kaus
    • The Bug Hunter

@aecnu and @james and @cole was wondering if somone can give @chucklasker an update or at least an answer about the payment gateways as well as consideration for the stripe gateway. I know that I was really excited about this plugin when it first came out as I had a charity I wanted to help out.

i had totally forgotten about this plugin and probably wouldn’t have given it another thought until I needed it again. Then I would have been disappointed if it still wasn’t working.

@chucklasker hopefully you’ll hear something from the developer soon.

Thanks for your patience.

• Clyde

@cole Great plugin! I have a MAJOR request. I want to use this with Multi-Site but I don’t want site admins to be able to see or modify the Paypal (or other gateways) options.

What I am looking for is a huge trend in fundraising right now. I want users that are registered on my site to be able to make their own “fundraising page” so they could recruit their own “team”. As we are a single corporate entity the funds would be going to us. This would make this plugin on the level of Blackbaud’s “Friends asking Friends” product.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Everyone,

I do not have any update regarding Stripe gateway integration because I am not the lead developer, I think only Cole can make this call.

However, I will comment on PayPal and Credit Card companies and I will come to PayPal’s defense because I know and have read the Master Merchant agreement for accepting credit cards and PayPal’s hands were tied.

By the way, I have been with PayPal since 1998 owning 3 computer stores and an ISP and to date not once have I lost money or an attempt to charge back on a credit card. Yes it was attempted.

As per the Master agreement as the merchant you cannot refuse payment for any amount over $1.00, you cannot try to sway the customer to use a different payment method (though you can offer a cash discount), and most importantly you must have that all too often forgotten signature (hard copy or electronic) or in this case a contract. This is not PayPal’s rules, this is the agreement that ALL merchants must sign to accept Mastercard or Visa – period.

PayPal’s own rule is much more lenient with defending charge backs. If this were a PayPal transaction a simple shipping receipt will do.

I had a client I advised that for every transaction send the customer something in the mail and get a tracking number. That is all it takes. Proof of delivery. PayPal will check it out online in seconds and the receiver will almost certainly lose. Never say never.

Have a GREAT weekend!

Cheers, Joe

• Dean Kaus
    • The Bug Hunter

Hey Joe, I knew you’re not the lead developer, but figured that I’d try to see if we could get someone to get the ball rolling. @cole who I think is the lead developer (and he may be working on something else) hasn’t responded in a while. I think I may have asked in another thread about this or another plugin update and didn’t hear back.

I had actually forgotten about the fundraiser plugin and I now that on November or December I’ll be needing to get it set up. Last time I tried to use it but couldn’t get things set up properly (I don’t recall what I couldn’t do) but anyway lost it to another web developer. It really sucks when you lose a bid that your donating your services.

Anyway hope to be ready this time around.

BTW @aecnu I think I may have asked this already but are you located in the US? I may need to talk to you about hosting etc…

• Clyde

As the director of a nonprofit I can tell you that this could easily be the most valuable plugin on the site. I sincerely hope it receives Cole’s full attention. Blackbaud comes with obscene overhead that I can’t ask our people to pay for. Thanks again everyone.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Dean,

I knew you’re not the lead developer, but figured that I’d try to see if we could get someone to get the ball rolling.

You are correct that Cole is the lead developer.

@dean Kaus email me please for details regarding hosting aecnu (at) incsub.com

Cheers, Joe

• Cole

Hey everyone,

First I would like to apologize for the slow responses. I’ve been dealing with some personal stuff over the past couple months, but luckily my availability is improving and I will be able to dedicated some serious time to Fundraising.

@chucklasker & @dean – That client story is such a bummer. PayPal seems to be great for some and horrible for others. Best way to address this is choices I say! So on that note… I don’t see how adding a Stripe Gateway would be a big problem as I could adapt the gateway from other WPMU DEV plugins. I can confirm that authorize.net AIM and ARB along with paypal express checkout will be included in the next major feature release. I will try my darnedest to get Stripe and 2C0 in there if possible as well.

I’m glad so many members see potential for this plugin and I am extremely excited to ramp up the feature set. Multisite, Front-End funder creation, extra payment gateways just to name a few. I look forward to getting everyone’s feedback on a beta release soon.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.