New Plugin: Support System

Here comes the mother load.

Premium Support System

This plugin offers the following areas:

1) Integrated support videos.
All the helpful support videos from this site, built right in.

2) Integrated FAQ.
Easily add new categories for questions, then add questions commonly asked to help users out. Users can also vote (yes or no) as to whether the question helped them out or not.

3) Integrated support tickets.
Users can submit support tickets, to which a Site Admin can reply. When a ticket is created or updated, the other party will receive an email letting them know something has happened to the ticket. For example, the user adds a ticket, then the site admin gets an email notification. Going the other way round, when a Site Admin updates a ticket, the user gets a notification by email as well.

Take your support to the next level with this gem of a plugin.

• drmike
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Thanks.

Effing county library system assumes any large file download is file trading and throws out random reset packages every so often to disrupt traffic. Like how Comcast just yelled at for.

Got 14.4 megs this time. I hate to ask but is anyone setup for torrenting? Since that's hash checking, the reset packets get thrown out.

edit: I guess I can walk down to the Apple store and use their connection tomorrow. Give me an excuse to.

edit: Tried again. Got 22 megs before the connection got dropped. I'll try again shortly.

• Luke
    • The Crimson Coder

Yeah, it's like a 35.3M download. As Brian mentioned, it's from the support vids being packaged into it as well.

I really considered just having them being downloaded separate, but then came renaming and some other things. So I just said to heck with it and re-packaged them into it.

Should be a good plugin all around. Not too basic, but not overly bloated like most helpdesk apps.

• brettlewis
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Yeah, but It happened right after I installed the support plugin. Then i uninstalled it after it went p *poof* and it cam back. The only mod i have done on the upgrades plugin which for no shouldn't change anything is ad different credit purchase amounts.

• brettlewis

It has to do with ($tmp_package_count > 0){ i moved add_menu_page($upgrades_branding_plural, $upgrades_branding_plural, 8, 'upgrades.php'); above it and it worked. Don't know what the deal is. I defiantly have a package available. and I defiantly have people subscribed to it. So idk what to say. ha

• brettlewis

The way you configured the "Support" button makes it so it replaces other main menu buttons in some instances.
    All i had to do was change the "40"'s to "50"'s in

$menu[39] = $menu[40];
    	$menu[40] = array(__('Support'), '10', 'support.php' );

Doesn't the number in those mean you want them to go in a certain area in the menu. Instead of just letting them go in whatever space is available. Since i am using a special admin theme the menu inst set up that way and so it doesn't work. What is the more global way of doing it.

• Luke
    • The Crimson Coder

Originally, $menu[40] is the "users" menu. Anything above 40 gets bumped to the big tabs on the left.

So, it makes a new array key of 39, and makes the support menu 40. It's done like that so that as "support" being on the end of the right menu is more logical (in terms of importance) then if it hooked into the left side of the right menu.

The Upgrades tab is over on the left side, so the numbers shouldn't even come into play at all.

And that's a pretty global way of doing it. The site admin link is done the same way as well.

• amhpub
    • New Recruit

Just installed this plug-in and I trust it will prove to be great. Although it's installing fine and showing up for the site admin, the "support" tab is missing for all normal users. I'm thinking this has to do with the toggle_admin_menus.php plug-in I also have installed- do you know anything about this plug-in, and do you think it could be the culprit? If so, any suggested workarounds?

Thanks a bunch,
    Erik

• Ovidiu
    • Code Wrangler

@luke:

how does this plugin compare to the other helpdesk plugin from here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/helpdesk/

from what I can see at the first glance, I like your FAQ as it has the option to rate it but I don't think I can display it on the front page of the main blog, which would have been nice, and the video tutorials are not really needed in my case, as I already have a page on my main blog featuring them.

And I like the idea of the knowledge base in the other plugin so if there aren't any more features in your plugin which I haven't discovered yet I think I will stay with the other one.

• Luke
    • The Crimson Coder

@Erik: Yeah, you may have an issue because of the menu plugin.

@Brett: Still couldn't reproduce that error at all. Can you turn off the support system, print out the menu array, and let me know the number of the key for users.php?

@Ovidiu:

You can put it anywhere you'd like, although it's targeted for "after registration support" so that bandwidth (and resources) aren't wasted out front. At the moment, it doesn't have anything similar to a knowledgebase, with search options, etc. It probably won't either, as that (to me) would just bloat it out.

• D'Arcy Norman
    • Flash Drive

VERY cool plugin. Thank you! I've just rolled it out, and will be announcing the shiny new "Support" tab to my users ASAP. Well done! :slight_smile:

I did notice a VERY minor glitch in the email notifications - they seem to include encoded html entities - the message comes with <p> and </p> wrapping the message content sent from in support ticket email. Looks like an overzealous HTML cleaner?

• D'Arcy Norman
    • Flash Drive

ok third try. I'll add spaces to break up the characters. sigh. the email notification for support tickets includes & lt;p& gt; (message) & lt;/p& gt;

hopefully that worked. if not, it's using the ampersand lt/gt encoding rather than the angle brackets < and > for the wrapping paragraph.

• Luke
    • The Crimson Coder

@d_kc: You can put it anywhere you'd like, although it's targeted for "after registration support" so that bandwidth (and resources) aren't wasted out front.

It would take a small bit of hackery to accomplish it, well, not really. You could potentially just copy the FAQ display functions into another file, and then make a mini-plugin out of it from there. (Changing function names, of course). However, I wouldn't allow for voting out front. Anon users + anon voting == BS ratings. :smiley:

Interesting. I hadn't noticed that one. I'll add it as a fix for the next release.

In the meantime, you can probably go into the ticket files and put an unhtmlentities or similar on the variable for the message content. Striptags would probably be better.

• mallik
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

This is a fantastic one.

My site is on 1.5.1, and i am using the multi DB 1.0.1. Just a version befroe the 2.6 release.

I am finding some issues, can someone please tell me what could be wrong?

For some reason, the multi-db script is looking for the wp_support_ tables under the database db_d (i am using 16 databases). I've added the global table definitions exactly as mentioned in the install guide.

Could this be related to the versions i am using? please advice.

• Luke
    • The Crimson Coder

To confirm, you've added:

add_global_table('system_support_faq');
    add_global_table('system_support_faq_cats');
    add_global_table('system_support_tickets');
    add_global_table('system_support_tickets_cats');
    add_global_table('system_support_tickets_messages');

to your db-config.php file?

I've seen that "defaults to dxx" on a few things before, but it was usually from not having it properly set in the config file.

What version of MySQL are you running?

This wasn't tested on anything before 2.6, and as mentioned before in this thread, it's "officially" for 2.6+.

• amhpub
    • New Recruit

@bretlewis: could you be a little more specific with what you did? I made the 40 to 50 change and had the menu move over in the admin backend, but still have had no success with getting the plug-in to show up for normal users. Additionally, I removed the toggle_admin_menus plug-in, also to no avail.

Erik

• Luke
    • The Crimson Coder

Pretty strange there mallik. Can you try printing out the wpdb array to the screen, and checking to make sure the tables are being set correctly with the correct prefix?

I can't remember off the top of my head, but for some reason I thought on occasion that 1.5 had issues with wpdb->base_prefix, which could be the problem.

• Luke
    • The Crimson Coder

I think I found it. There's a link to /wp-admin/support.php in the video file towards the bottom. Should be wp-admin/support.php, so it picks it up at whatever level you're at (as in your case). Thought I got all of those. Guess not.

• brettlewis

@ erik.

In the main file there is a structure for setting up the menus. change the numbers to higher or lower numbers depending on where you want it to be places (in increments of ten) i think it starts as 39 40 40 in order of appearance. just move the numbers up to 49 50 50.

• drmike
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

I remember a very long discussion on the mu forums about that. Some *cough* was going on and on about how they should release the code for it. (To be honest, it's just a javascript drawer around a form built on ajax. Shouldn't be that hard.) I think that was the first time we heard a "i can't release the wp.com code" out of Donncha.

• Marko
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

3) Integrated support tickets.
    Users can submit support tickets, to which a Site Admin can reply.

Hi Luke. Can you please tell me if this ticket system works between Top (MU) Site Admin and other Blog Admins (blog owners)? As I understood, it was created to work between blog admin and his/her users. Sorry if I'm wrong. I would like to know that before I install this plugin. Thanks.

• Luke
    • The Crimson Coder

You must be misinterpreting it then.

I mean, why would a blog admin want tickets between other users on the blog?

It's for blog users to get support from the site.

Meaning, in short: You, as the site admin, support your users.

• Marko

Sorry. Sometimes english plays tricks on me and that's why I have to ask things twice, and also, that's why sometimes people don't understand my questions.

"I mean, why would a blog admin want tickets between other users on the blog?"

No, that's not what I meant. OK, allow me another try. Just tell me which one is right, 1. or 2.

1. blog36-User > Ticket > blog36-Admin

2. blog36-Admin > Ticket > WPMU Admin

What I need is this 2nd solution. Thanks for Your effort.

Marko

• brettlewis

Problems again

it seems like other menus for other plugins seem to mess with the support plugins way of setting up menus

what would be the code to add the "support tab" to the regular menus. not the little looking ones like site admin.

• Luke
    • The Crimson Coder

You could always take the vids out. And if anyone could, you're certainly capable. :stuck_out_tongue: he he he he

As for how the link is placed, honestly, it should have absolutely no bearing on any other menu.

All this does is move the Users Menu from being array key 40 (hardcoded by WP), moves it to array key 39, and then makes the support menu array key 40. Nothing more.

• drmike
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Is there a way to turn off the FAQs? Our are placed within the main blog within pages. To have this on the backend would just be confusing to folks.

I'm having the same issue as mallik up there. Lines are added to the wp-content/db-config.php file. That was done even before adding in the files. The plugin dropped the tables into a different db, not the general one.

Logged out, deleted the db tables, deleted and turned off all caching, logged back in and tried again. It's creating the tables on the d4 database.

Andrew, if you see this, it's on the cynix account on your box.

edit: Just noticed that if I leave the tables in the d4 database, I see General categories for the FAQs and the tickets. I don't see that when I manually add in the tables to the main database.

• Luke
    • The Crimson Coder

Is there a way to turn off the FAQs?

Comment out the menu item(s) in the menu code for it. Same as any other plugin.

Something strange with your DB going on. I can't replicate it this morning.
    I have seen times where various global tables try to put themselves in d4.
    Typically it ends up being a configuration issue, or missing table prefix.

• drmike
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

This has happened to me before with Andrew's plugins. Strange thing that seems to occur is that the next day, it usually works fine. That's why I was thinking it was a cache issue but doesn't seem to be.

I'll work on this when i have the chance. Have a project today.

• Andrew
    • Champion of Loops

Hiya,

You're allowed to translate all of our plugins.

and would license allow me to put it in working site

I'm not completely sure you mean. If you're asking if you can use the translated version on your site then that's most definitely allowed.

If you're asking if you can upload the translated version for others to freely download then the answer is no.

Thanks,
    Andrew

• mafunk
    • Flash Drive

Hi Andrew - me again. We are just launching a bunch of mu sites, so lots of questions :slight_smile: thanks for your help and the help of anyone else who replies.

Anyway....

Two Questions:
    1. Where/how to I, as admin, create FAQs for my users?
    2. Does anyone have a list wpmu FAQs that I might want to include in our support system?

Thanks
    Monique

• mikepratt
    • New Recruit

Luke - I love the idea behind the plugin and I have it installed (on my dev site) (and presumably working) but I am missing something. Here's what I know:

1. Installed fine, tables created, dummy cats and FAQ's created fine
    2. Site Admin menu items (FAQ Mgr, Spt Tix Mge) all there and fine
    3. I run Buddypress framework on top of wpmu
    4. Now what? I logged in as one of my test users and I see nothing. it doesn't say in the install/notes what a non-admin user should actually see and where in order to rate a Q or submit a spt ticket
    5. Does this all have to be done from the back end or do you think it's easy enough for us to code a front end interface (trying hard to keep users out of the wpmu admin area when possible)
    6. Thanks for your work on this

• burton
    • New Recruit

I did notice a VERY minor glitch in the email notifications - they seem to include encoded html entities - the message comes with <p> and </p> (& lt;p& gt; (message) & lt;/p& gt:wink: wrapping the message content sent from in support ticket email. Looks like an overzealous HTML cleaner?

Can this be fixed? It looks pretty bad, and it's been almost a year. I also see problems in the subject line of emails:

Support Ticket Update: Re: I can& #039;t send email

Thanks.

• TeamFUtd

Just quickly - fantastic plugin, thank you!

However I am noticing an problem which kind of makes the whole thing, erm, not work really!

Everything installed OK, and I can see the menus and click on links etc - nothing broken there. However, I am noticing that when as user submits a question, I get the email to notify my, but when I (and they) log in to view the ticket etc the error I'm getting says the ticket doesn't exist?

I assume a DB problem, however I can't see where I went wrong with that. I also tried creating the required tables using the sql.txt

The FAQ's all work fine btw, just the support ticket system

Cheers

Sam

• Andrew
    • Champion of Loops

Hi Guys,

Everything installed OK, and I can see the menus and click on links etc - nothing broken there. However, I am noticing that when as user submits a question, I get the email to notify my, but when I (and they) log in to view the ticket etc the error I'm getting says the ticket doesn't exist?

First time I've heard of that issue. Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

Side question: Is this internationalized?

It should be. Let us know if something isn't.

Thanks,
    Andrew

• mulreany
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi all,
    I would also like to request a fix for the funky rewritten html tags in the support emails. I really like this plugin but it is causing some confusion with the users.

I saw another post from last year about this.

Changing the incsub_support_tickets.php $message = as per the other post did sort the problem. BUT the system went nuts when I tested it with some unfriendly characters like brackets (not exactly unexpected).

Is there a quick way to clean the message without adding all the extraneous html stuff? Something between no parse and the current implementation?
    Any help would be appreciated.

Fiona

• mulreany
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi all,
    I've got a WPMU launch tomorrow and it's going to rely heavily on the Support System. I'm really stressing about the html characters thing and need to clean it up as per my previous post.

Any chance you could tell me the code I could use with incsub_support_tickets.php $message to strip out characters without causing the html code to be written in. I just can't find how to do it.

Sorry to bang the same old drum but I'm under a bit of pressure here :slight_smile:

• nickd32
    • The Incredible Code Injector

As a feature req, I think it would be really beneficial to have a widget show up in the admin's dashboard with open tickets.

Also, it would be great if this were integrated with Supporter, so that only supporters had access to submit trouble tickets.

Finally, it seems that as of now the admin can't assign a ticket to one of his tech people - the tech person has to log in and accept responsibility for the ticket. It would be nice if the admin could assign specific tickets to specific people. Just a thought.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.