New Pro Blogs (Formerly Supporter)

Hi all.

I'm a pretty new registered member (yesterday!) and since then I've had the opportunity to:
- Download and start integrating/testing the Supporter plugin and its modules and satellite plugins like Supporter Advertising, Domain Mapping and Google Analytics;
- Read about the new Pro Blogs plugin;
- Start integrating/testing this new plugin in replacement of Supporter.
I haven't wasted my time! And I was very pleased to see that some major issues I found in relation to my needs in Supporter are just solved with Pro Blogs. So since I'm just starting with it, let's go with Pro Blogs! And since the previous topic has just been closed, let's start with this new one.

Here is a first batch of issues/defects I found during my first couple of hours on the beta 2. Some may have already been discussed in the previous topic and the most part is new.

New "themed" Pro Blogs upgrade page

- The upgrade form with PayPal checkout appears twice on the page. Is there a specific case it can happen?
- Comments and pingbacks are allowed by default on this page. Is it a bug in a specific case or has it just been forgotten for the moment?
- When I navigate to the dashboard of non-Pro Blogs blog, I'm always redirected to the upgrade page. I'm localhost with directory install, I don't know if it's related.

Limit BuddyPress features settings

- There's still only a checkbox instead of a dropdown of levels for the features to limit so it's not possible yet to select the right level for the limitation. In my case, it's the second level so it's important. By the way, the message section already talks about level.

New Pro Blogs menu group

- The new network admin menu group takes the place of the division between the Dashboard + BuddyPress section and the main section. It should be either in the first section just after BuddyPress or in the main section or even in a third section like WPML for example.
- Personally, I don't like it when inactive admin menu icons are not black and white like the rest of them. I preferred a lot more the former Supporter icon for this reason. It's far not the most important issue, but I don't want my menu bar to become a Christmas tree if every editor does the same.

Multilingual purpose

- My site is multilingual (English + French + Spanish) and I use WPML for this purpose. It works pretty well and it also comes with a specific plugin for BuddyPress. How can we achieve the same goal with Supporter / Pro Blogs labels and messages since they're mostly site options? Did anybody already have to deal with this kind of need and if yes what was the path to fulfill it?
- Another consequence of multilingual pages along with the new "themed" Pro Blogs upgrade page is this page is not recognized as itself in other languages. Is there a best filter to use/extend to make the translations of this page act as themselves as well?

Satellite plugins

- As I said before, I'm going to use Advertising, Domain Mapping and Google Analytics plugins along with Pro Blogs. Will they be upgraded within the same timeframe as Pro Blogs itself?

Thanks for reading me. I can also start individual topics for every issue/defect if it's more relevant.

• Mason

Hiya asimetrick,

Thanks for your great feedback here

All modules (including Supporter Advertising, Domain Mapping and Google Analytics) from Supporter will be fully-compatible with Pro Blogs by the time we're at the official release.

We'll take a look at the individual issues you've experienced and I've already alerted the developer to your thread here.

I haven't yet had the opportunity to test Pro Blogs with WPML, but it should work as well as any other plugin would. It has a .po file for translation the way all other plugins here do. If something isn't working in this regard it's probably a bug that has yet to be ironed out. We'll take a look.

Thanks again for your feedback. Glad we have users like you to really put the plugins through the ringer

• asimetrick

Hi Mason.

Thanks for the answer. Good news for the upcoming compatibility of all modules from Supporter with Pro Blogs.

For its compatibility with WPML, well, you're absolutely right, they look working pretty well together. As you say, we can use .po and .mo files for the translations of the strings included within the GUI. But what with the other strings, especially the numerous messages that are stored as site options? Those messages can be entered in any language we'd like, but in a single language, not in 3 languages like I need. If a user switches from English to French, the formerly displayed in English message should be then displayed in French, which is not either possible out-of-the-box or with the addition of any translation plugin like WPML.

The only way I see for the moment is to:
    - Include all translations in the same setting separated by pseudo-tags ([lang="en_EN"]My message in English[/lang][lang="fr_FR"]Mon message en français[/lang] for example);
    - Develop a parsing function that extracts the right part of the message for the right language (localized string);
    - Use the 'site_option_pblgs_settings' filter to call the parsing function and return the translated message.

Am I right? Would you suggest another way?

What would be REALLY great is the ability of Pro Blogs (or any other plugin that stores labels and messages as options) to enter, store and retrieve those strings as arrays of localized strings. Just looking at the current code, I'd say it could be done this kind of way:
    - Set the default settings as associative arrays of localized strings instead of the current single localized strings in the case of multiple languages (this case is currently evaluated in the ProBlogs::localization function);
    - If you prefer the default behavior remains a single localization, add a filter on the default settings in the ProBlogs::install function so an external plugin can do this job instead, but provide a function that returns those associative arrays;
    - Display a textbox in the admin page for every default language if the setting is an array of localized strings and a single textbox like today if it's a single string;
    - Store the setting as an associative array or as a string depending on what is passed by the admin page on update;
    - Return the right member of the stored array based on the current or a specific language in the ProBlogs::get_setting function if an array is stored, return the single string like today if not;
    - Add filters for the set of default languages and the current language in the ProBlogs::localization function in order to let an external plugin (like an extension of WPML that manages the languages its own way for example) to override them.

Of course, I'm not here to tell you guys how to write your plugins, but I need to know if I start developing my own patch or if I can expect on a short term something out-of-the-box like described above.

Thanks again.

• Aaron

But what with the other strings, especially the numerous messages that are stored as site options? Those messages can be entered in any language we'd like, but in a single language, not in 3 languages like I need. If a user switches from English to French, the formerly displayed in English message should be then displayed in French, which is not either possible out-of-the-box or with the addition of any translation plugin like WPML.

Unfortunatley that is something that would need to be addressed in the WP core, not plugin related. Wordpress is simply not designed to handle multiple languages in user entered text. That's true with posts, pages, settings, and of course plugin/theme settings too. There are a number of plugins out there that try to hack this as you mention, but it's impossible for them to support every plugin out there.

What would need to happen is for a i18n api to be added to WP for user entered strings.

Thanks for you beta feedback though, will work through it when I get back to fixing up the beta.

• asimetrick

Hi Aaron, and welcome back from your vacation, even it's already been a week.

You're absolutely right about the missing WP i18n API. That's precisely why I use WPML for this purpose and it works great because WP still allows it. So my request is not about providing an i18n API that even WP does not provide (of course it would have been great and it was worth asking), but rather about allowing it (like WP does!) with the addition of the suggested set of filters and action hooks so I can implement the extension myself. Does it make sense?

For the rest of the feedback, it was my pleasure. The new plugin is just great and I'm looking forward to using it live as soon as possible. Just a little update: forget my very first comment, the bug was on my side (using twice the 'the_content' filter within the same WP loop in my custom theme).

Thanks.

• Aaron

I think you should use this:

- Use the 'site_option_pblgs_settings' filter to call the parsing function and return the translated message.

That can be used with any plugin.

If there are other specific filters you need just send me a diff or your modded plugin and we'll see about adding them. We just recently did a similar thing for MarketPress:
    http://wpml.org/documentation/related-projects/marketpress-and-wpml/

• asimetrick

So you have common projects with WPML, that's great! Who does own and maintain the code of the add-on for MarketPress: you guys or WPML?

Doing the same with Pro Blogs and Automessage would just be perfect, really! I'll try to find some time in the next few weeks to adjust and make these 2 plugins WPML compatible, even if WPML themselves must validate this compatibility in my opinion. How shall it work after that: you guys develop the add-on, WPML does, I do? Surely too early to answer that question but it's interesting to know.

In the meantime, I will apply my (ugly) solution to Pro Blogs that I've already applied to Automessage: include all translations in the same setting separated by pseudo-tags ([lang="en"]My message in English[/lang][lang="fr"]Mon message en français[/lang] for example) and use the 'site_option_pblgs_settings' filter like you just answered.

Thanks Aaron.