New Pro Sites Stripe Gateway!

Hey guys, just wanted to let you know we just dropped Pro Sites 3.1 which has a number of bug fixes but most importantly, a new full featured gateway, Stripe!

I'm personally a bit in love with Stripe as a developer, finally a payments company designed for developers! http://www.fastcompany.com/1813087/stripe-startup-paypal-google-checkout-peter-thiel-elon-musk

Included:
- Subscriptions
- Modify subscriptions/levels with immediate pro-rated payments
- User and admin subscription cancallation
- Full webhook support and logging for scheduled payments, chargebacks, payment problems, etc.
- Full admin dashboard capabilities: See plan, last and next payment info, user/card information, process full or partial refunds.

As this thing is super duper complex, I'm labeling it as beta for now, as i'm sure minor things will be popping up. Let me know how it goes for you!

• eagle1
    • Flash Drive

This sounds great, but there are a few negatives that could be major for some people. According to the reviews Stipe only works in the U.S., and payments are withheld for 7 days.

Still, this is an exciting concept that can only get better with time!

• John
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

@eagle1 this is true and they charge 2.9% + 30¢ per successful transaction. They also state that:

Stripe has no setup fees, no monthly fees, no minimum charges, no validation fees, and no card storage fees. There's also no charge for failed payments. You'll never have to decipher a complex statement, because you know what you're charged in advance.

I think it looks like a great deal!

• eagle1
    • Flash Drive

Hi Aaron,

I keep hearing those horror stories about PayPal. All I can say is I've used the Paypal Standard Web Payment plan for many years on my membership site. Never once have I had a payment held (unless it was an eCheck payment), nor had a reserve imposed. I always get paid instantly.

But that's really not what's important here. Stripe looks like a great solution, and I personally don't mind the 7 day wait! The only real issue for me is the lack of international support, since I have membership from around the world. So I'm looking at a way to include Paypal Expresss as an option for them.

While I would prefer to use Paypal Standard, Stripe may prove to be a viable option. I'm willing to give them a go!

• Aaron
    • CTO

I keep hearing those horror stories about PayPal. All I can say is I've used the Paypal Standard Web Payment plan for many years on my membership site. Never once have I had a payment held (unless it was an eCheck payment), nor had a reserve imposed. I always get paid instantly.

I had mine locked down for 2 months not too long ago. Because I had a donate button somewhere for a plugin I had written, they wanted like 10 pages of legal proof that I was a non-profit corporation. After 10 back and forths with their support and proving that I had removed every single word on my site that said "Donate" I was finally able to get them to release my money. Something little like that happening is enough to bankrupt a small business with tight cash flow, not ok at all!

The only real issue for me is the lack of international support, since I have membership from around the world.

It fully supports international CC cards with no extra fees, just only a US business can setup a Stripe account to collect the payments.

• eagle1
    • Flash Drive

Just received a message from @prayhumbly that clarifies the international issue for me! Thanks so much. I've copied the response below for anyone with a similar question:

"It fully supports international CC cards with no extra fees, just only a US business
    can setup a Stripe account to collect the payments."

With that bit of knowledge, I'll be heading off to implement Stripe! Thanks Aaron!

• Aaron
    • CTO

https://stripe.com/help/faq

Do I need to be in the United States to use Stripe?
    Yes. At the moment, you must be based in the US to receive payments; this involves both having a US address, and having a significant shareholder of the company with a valid SSN.

Can I charge non-US customers? What currencies can my customers use to pay?
    Yes. If you accept payments with Stripe, you can accept all Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover, JCB, and Diners Club cards.

Customers can use pretty much any currency to pay. The amount will be converted to USD at prevailing exchange rates. (That is, if they have a Euro-based credit card, they will see an uneven Euro charge on their credit card, and you'll receive the exact dollar amount in your account.) All amounts must be denominated in USD when creating charges with Stripe — the currency conversion happens automatically.

• Clifford P
    • The Bug Hunter

I've never had to issue a refund, but I like this:

Am I charged for refunds?
    Refunds are free, though the fees from the original charge can't be returned to you.

Same policy at PayPal, but not with QuickBooks.

Is SquareUp.com getting any web payment option? I like Square and they payout next day instead of 7 or 30 days.

• Aaron
    • CTO

Is SquareUp.com getting any web payment option? I like Square and they payout next day instead of 7 or 30 days.

I doub't it. The reason they can payout immediately is because they only handle "card present" transactions (and have reciept/signature proof). This means that their fees can be lower and they have much higher chargeback protection. Online payments are by nature "card not present", so they carry alot more risk and cost due to chargebacks. It's practically impossible to win chargeback disputes for online payments.

• Sean
    • The Incredible Code Injector

I also agree that Paypal Google etc.get in-between you and your customer. They have an interest in marketing to everyone else's customers themselves. It would be nice to remove that from the equation. I certainly would sign up if I did not need to process inter nation customers. Maybe some creative developers can set up their solutions to point US customers to Stripe and international ones to Paypal Google etc.

• Atlanta
    • Syntax Hero

Thanks Aaron, some brands won't work with paypal so it is nice to have options.

random note..

"Is there a fee for chargebacks?
    Yes, you incur a $15 fee when there is a chargeback on one of your transactions. Because chargebacks involve a decent amount of manual work on all sides, this fee is charged no matter how the dispute is resolved."

• troykd
    • The Crimson Coder

Thanks Aaron. Couple more questions.
    Do I need an SSL cert with them like PP Pro?
    Does Pro Sites generate the check out page or does it go to their website like PP standard?
    What happens to my current PP subscibers? Do they need to come back and reenter a credit card?

• Aaron
    • CTO

Do I need an SSL cert with them like PP Pro?

Yes according to their FAQ (though not as important as the cc info doesn't come to your server).

Does Pro Sites generate the check out page or does it go to their website like PP standard?

They stay on your site.

What happens to my current PP subscibers? Do they need to come back and reenter a credit card?

That's the tricky one. If you are changing from one to the other, then it is best that you cancel everyone's paypal subscriptions. Because once you switch, pro sites won't be able to hear the IPN notifications from future payments and extend their expire accordingly. If they are canceled, when their paid period is up they will get sent to the payment page on next login.

• roi4my
    • New Recruit

Have been searching but not finding...

Does the Bulk Upgrades section of Pro Sites ONLY work with paypay? I've set up a test Stripe account and it works great.

When I go to the bulk upgrades, however, I am only presented with a PP option.

Is that by design? Or is something amiss with my install?

TIA!

• Gabe
    • The Bug Hunter

Hey @Aaron

Are there any plans to support Braintree as a gateway since they lowered their fees to match Stripe's? I've always been a fan of Stripe as well due to the developer friendly nature and low costs. Braintree is much more robust though and offers credit card portability (huge benefit) but doesn't have the high cost downside that it used to. They're also very developer friendly and have some big customers like 37signals, airbnb, github and others. Any chance of it getting added in the future?

-Gabe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.