New registrants can see content before approval

Not sure if this is one issue or two...

When someone creates an account and clicks on Register My Account it goes to another /register page rather than the /welcome page that I have set in the plugin parameters (membership page options - registration completed page)

The new user is technically now signed in and all menu options are available; this allows the new user to be able to see the protected content before I have approved and activated the account.

This is using Membership Premium 3.4.2 on Gallery Theme 1.5 (WP 3.5)

Thanks!

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Ian - Blink Colony,

Thank you for bringing this item to our attention.

I am not aware of manual activation ever being a feature of this plugin.

Can you please clarify on what mechanisms you are using to enforce manual activation?

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• Ian - Blink Colony
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Ok, as it stands now:

1. New user signs up.
    2. They stay on the site and can see everything in the members only area.
    3. They close their browser.
    4. They go back to the site and can't see the members area.
    5. I go to the Membership dashboard and click on the All Members tab
    6. I hold the cursor over the new member's name to reveal the menu and click on activate.

How it should work, in my opinion, is as above but without steps 2,3 & 4. Once they register they should be kept in visitor status until I activate their account and they receive an email saying they can now log in and see members content.

Without this feature, anyone can register and get all the membership goodies before an administrator can verify that they are a genuine. I'm using free membership on my site so I'm not sure how it works with paid memberships.

Does this make sense?

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Thank you for the detailed information on how it is working and how you want it to work.

Of course the plugin was never intended to work the way you indicated with automation in mind.

However, with that said, I believe a redirect right after number one above to a logged out status will do the trick to get this how you would like it. Can you spot the URL or current redirect? Or the URL right of the last page of signup before they are redirected to the logged in state?

Are you using the Free subscriptions gateway?

Do you have the Enable incomplete signup accounts check marked? i.e. Membership --> Options --. General tab

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• Ian - Blink Colony

Hi Joe,

Free subscriptions gateway - yes.

Enable incomlpete signup is currently un-checked.

Not sure what you mean by...

Can you spot the URL or current redirect? Or the URL right of the last page of signup before they are redirected to the logged in state?

How would I find that information?

Thanks as always for your timely support :slight_smile:

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Thank you for your continued input as we slowly but surely knock these issues out.

The URL's I am looking for are displayed in the URL bar of the browser.

There should be a URL displayed right before they are redirected to the content during the signup process.

As far as the emails are concerned, they will need to be manually sent i.e. and they receive an email saying they can now log in and see members content

As I had mentioned in an earlier post, this is not the intended way this is supposed to function - there is no such thing as manually activating the users as you have indicated you want to do - but obviously i am trying to help make it happen the way you want.

Without this feature, anyone can register and get all the membership goodies before an administrator can verify that they are a genuine.

Once again this is not intended use, and simply using captcha will ensure they are genuine.

Other then the possible post signup redirect to a logged out state, I cannot think of any other way to enforce this unintended use function that I am trying to help you incorporate.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• Ian - Blink Colony

Hi Joe,

I guess I found an "undocumented system feature" because it is working almost exactly how I want.

1. I create a new user on the /register page.
    2. I close my browser.
    3. I receive an email with my username/password and a link to login.
    4. I try to log in with the newly created credentials and I get a warning message: Sorry, this account is not active. (See Screen shot)

On the Admin side:
    1. I receive an email saying a new user has registered.
    2. I login as admin and go the All Members option
    3. I activate the member (see screen shot)
    4. I click on the new member's email address which opens up a new email in Outlook and I send him a welcome message.

The only slight problem is that if the new registrant doesn't close their browser they can still access the members' only area even though their account isn't yet active.

This is fairly easy to manage on a small site like this that is only for a small circle of friends and family but if it were a big site with lots of premium content it could all walk out of the door and the admin would be non the wiser.

Instead of requiring the new user to close the browser it would be nice if it redirected to a welcome screen that says "you account will be activated soon" and then the only option is to close the browser - or maybe redirect to Google or some other site.

In the "nice to have" category it would be good to be able to set up auto-emailing activation notifications but again, on a small site, this isn't a big deal.

Thanks as always for your great support :slight_smile:

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Ian - Blink Colony Happy New Year!

Thank you for the additional detailed input which is certainly appreciated and helpful.

What you described above is not an undocumented system feature, it is the normal WordPress registration which bypasses the Membership registration in which if the site is indeed free then it is not so important, if it is paid or has paid levels it is absolutely critical.

It is indeed the intended use that for "free" members that they have immediate access to the site and if they are going through the applicable Membership registration which should look similar to this:

http://membership.aecnuwpmu.us/register/

Then I would expect they get a different reaction.

In your very first post you had hinted to this proper registration sequence in your initial post:

clicks on Register My Account it goes to another /register page rather than the /welcome page

This is indeed the intended use.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• Ian - Blink Colony

Is that link to a working membership site Joe?

I tried to sign up with one account on my iPad and it didn't work (tapping on the register button didn't do anything).

I switched to my PC and tried to register with a different username and email and got the attached error.

Of course the problem could be 6 inches from my keyboard - shouldn't be trying to build websites at 9am on New Year's Day...!

• Ian - Blink Colony

Just for clarity it would probably help to know the MO for my website.

It is free to join but only for family and friends - I don't want just anyone to be able to view family photos and our family tree. If a stranger signs up they would be able to see all the content until they either close their browser or I receive the admin email and can go and delete the user.

Make sense?

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Thank you for the additional questions but the link was to an exact representation of what the Membership site user registration should look like on my test production server and not a working membership - actual registrations are disabled - notice there is no captcha or anything protecting the registration process.

Just for clarity it would probably help to know the MO for my website.

Your idea does make absolutely sense but the method seems a little too much just to protect the site with no profit motive and no need for payment gateways etc.

Why not simply protect the entire site using web protect/htaccess and manually enter the user names and password therein?

I just don't get it but that is me.

Please advise to any progress we have/are making.

Cheers, Joe

• Ian - Blink Colony

I'll be using Membership for other things so this was a bit of a testing and learning ground for me while at the same time giving my wife an unusual Christmas gift :slight_smile:

My concern is that irrespective of the level of membership someone can sign up and see content if they stay connected but then if they close the browser they are locked out until the admin does a manual approval.

I'll mark this as resolved but I may be back later when I do my paid membership site if it is still an issue when I start using a payment gateway.

Thanks for your guidance Joe.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Ian,

Thank you for letting us know and for your kind comments to include the challenge of getting this handled with "free" members.

The paid gateways indeed work differently then the free gateway so we may have a whole new experience waiting for us there.

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.