New registrations don't work after upgrading to Membership 2 Pro

Hi. I have just upgraded from Membership Premium, to Membership 2 Pro. I have been putting it off for a long time due to several issues, however I was hoping it was going to be fine after I tested and retested on 2 development site versions and thought I had ironed out the bugs. However when I set up this live site, which had a lot more data because of all the members, I can not get new memberships created. For some reason after clicking submit, the webpage hangs for ages and does not fully load, so the registration doesn't complete :slight_frown:
Please help find out why new registrations are not working, or I will be forced to going back to the faster, older version which you guys no longer support. I did not want to upgrade, but without it been supported for years, I felt I had no choice.

• Ian
    • The Incredible Code Injector

I have granted access to the website. Please note it's a live site, with members accessing content throughout the day, so please don't make changes to it.

Try to register and you will see the problem, thanks.

New registrations work fine on my test sites so free feel to register there to see how the live site should work. So not sure why the test sites are fine, but the live one is not :slight_frown:

Those details are written in the Support Access dashboard message area of my website.

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi Ian,

Sorry to hear you're having issues even after the testing on dev site first :slight_frown:

I checked your registration page and I see that it shows 500 error in the console so we might be able to get some further information from the debug log that would tell us what's causing this.
    You can enable debug log in your wp-config.php file (located in root WP folder) by replacing define('WP_DEBUG', false); with this code:

// Enable WP_DEBUG mode
    define('WP_DEBUG', true);

// Enable Debug logging to the /wp-content/debug.log file
    define('WP_DEBUG_LOG', true);

// Disable display of errors and warnings
    define('WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false);
    @ini_set( 'log_errors', 1 );
    @ini_set( 'display_errors', 0 );

Try to register new account and this should create debug.log file in your wp-content folder that could tell us what is going on.
    Can you please save it as .txt file and attach it here so we can check it out.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Ian

Also on another topic, I noticed this warning in the log:
    PHP Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /wp-content/plugins/e-newsletter/email-newsletter-files/class.wp_widgets.php on line 96

This is the line:
    add_action( 'widgets_init', create_function( '', 'return register_widget("e_newsletter_subscribe");' ) );

I see that create_function is deprecated in PHP 7.2
    Is WPMUDEV going to update that bit of PHP in your e-newsletter plugin?
    https://www.php.net/manual/en/function.create-function.php

Thanks.

• Ian

Attached is the debug log for the development site which registrations do work, if you want to compare the differences between it the and live site's debug log.

Please let me know how you get on, as no one new can register now on live site :slight_frown:

• Ian

Hi I need some help getting the new registration working again. Are you guys going to look at it again?

Please note, I have had to replace the 'Register' button for an email link so I can manually add customers until this is fixed. You can still access for testing the registration form, by going to the url and adding /register to the end of link.

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi Ian,

Apologies for the long delay here, tickets are sorted by oldest reply so you were pushing it down the queue each time :slight_frown:

Newsletter issue is about deprecated function and shouldn't cause any issues with M2 registrations, we do have a fix for that and it will be included in the next release, but I'll attach the beta version here if you want to give it a try.

As for the debug log on your live site, it throws a fatal error due to low execution time, so could you try increasing your maximum execution time to 60 seconds and see if it works after that?

You can do that by adding this to your wp-config.php above /* That's all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */ line:
    ini_set('max_execution_time', 60);
    Or this in your .htaccess file:
    php_value max_execution_time 60

You can read more about that here:
    http://codex.wordpress.org/Common_WordPress_Errors#Maximum_execution_time_exceeded

Let us know how it goes after that.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Ian

Hi Predrag, thanks for the extra advice.

I added the line ini_set('max_execution_time', 60); to wp-config.php and retested.

However it still hangs, so it doesn't complete the registration to the membership.

What do you suggest now?

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi Ian,

Could you provide us with cPanel or FTP login details so we can check this in more depth, we will of course not change any of the options in the site itself so it doesn't affect your live installation?

Note: Don't leave your login details in this ticket.
    Instead, you can send us your details using our contact form https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question and the template below:
    NOTE: Don't change selected topic in the dropdown, just leave it at "I have a different question".

Subject: "Attn: Predrag Dubajic"
    - Site login URL
    - WordPress admin username
    - WordPress admin password
    - FTP credentials (host/username/password)
    - cPanel credentials (host/username/password)
    - Folder path to site in question
    - Link back to this thread for reference
    - Any other relevant urls/info

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi Ian,

Thanks for sending those in, I checked your site and even though the code for increasing execution time is added, it's not actually having any effect.
    I checked your PHP information and it's still capped at 30 as it was before.

I also tried increasing it with other methods I could apply with FTP access but nothing worked and it was always set to 30.
    This usually means that your hosting provider has these changes blocked on the server side, so would it be possible to get in touch with them and see if they can increase the value of this for you?

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Ian

Hi Predrag Dubajic

I asked my server guy to increase it to 60s which he has done.
    He said "I've increased it to 60s. But if it's taking that long then it's likely got some other issues…"

I have retested the live membership site, however it has made no difference :slight_frown:

It still hangs after submission then displays a blank page, instead of redirecting them to thank-you page and adding customers to the membership account.

What else could be causing the registration form submission to be soooo slow?
    The new membership plugin worked on the two development sites, and the only difference is the number of existing members between the sites.

Should your plugin be able to handle 1,800 memberships?
    The older membership plugin version had no slow problems.

I even disabled the Branda Signup Screen plugin which I use for the invite code, to see if that was the cause of the slow submissions, but it wasn't. It still didn't make the form work, so I enabled Signup Screen again.

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi Ian,

Number of members shouldn't cause any problems when new member is being registered so something else is causing this.
    I have sent you an email asking for access to one of your staging sites so we could make some comparisons and check what's going on.
    Please reply to that email with details.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Tho Bui
    • Staff

Hey there Ian ,

Regarding your issue, I checked and see have a conflict M2 and Dave's WordPress Live Search.
    We can fix this by go to Settings->Live Search->Advanced then uncheck on Enable content filter. This is a filter (the_content) calling while Save Post so I think it's not affect with your site.
    You can check this inside function updateFirstImagePostmeta in file wp-content/plugins/daves-wordpress-live-search/daves-wordpress-live-search.php.

I'll discuss with our developer M2 to fix this issue on the next version.

Best regards,
    Tho Bui

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.