New Site Forbidden/Not Found Errors

Activated multisite in a pre-installed version of WordPress. When I click on the dashboard for the new site, I get the following message: "Not Found

The requested URL /wp-admin/ was not found on this server."

When I try to go to the new site, I get the following message: "Not Found

The requested URL /wp-admin/ was not found on this server."

Things I've done:

Network is setup for sub-domain.

I de-activated all plug-ins before switching to multisite.

My hosting provider added a DNS record, Name: *, Type: IN CNAME, Value: domarealestate.com

As per hosting provider (Aplus.net) Apache mod_rewrite is enabled.

Created dummy Plugins folder with zero plugins, and I still get the above messages when trying to access the new site.

Hope you can help.

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Hi there @Renee

Welcome to the forums, glad to have you aboard!

It's important to note that DNS changes can take up to 48 hours to propagate. That really threw me the first time I set up a subdomain network, and I was getting the same errors you are.

Also, this codex article has a few caveats that you should be aware of when setting up your network:
    http://codex.wordpress.org/Before_You_Create_A_Network#WordPress_Settings_Requirements

• Bob Albert
    • Flash Drive

When you go to a sub domain what do you get? So test.domarealestate.com gives you a white page or some other error?

could be that the * wildcard isn't fully setup yet.

when i go to test.domarealestate.com which gives me a
    403 Forbidden
    You don't have permission to access / on this server.

This could mean that * is not pointing correctly to your wordpress folder thus wordpress is not actually get the request, but some generic folder on your host

• Bob Albert
    • Flash Drive

typically when you point a domain at a multisite instance and the site doesn't exist, you get redirected to the register urls…

so test.domarealestate.com would redirect to the register page and the url would look like:
    test.domarealestate.com/wp-signup.php?new=test.domarealestate.com

that would tell you that your wordpress install got the request, tried to find the blog in your blogs list and then when it couldn't would give you the register option to register that new blog.

Since you are not seeing that, it makes me think your host isn't setup right. Yes they are pointing *.domarealestate.com to your main domain, but i don't think the web server is setup correctly to direct all *.domarealestate.com sites to your /wordpress directory/install

Did you ask your host if all *.domarealestate.com domains are pointing to the same/one wordpress directory?

Typically there is the dns setting but you also need, for example, apache to also know what to do with wildcard domains and what directory to point to. This might be too technical… but there is a setting in your host that says if it's one domain point to the is directory /account-name/public_html/wordpress. That seems to be setup for your main domain, but it also has to be setup to say anything.domain.com should also point to the /account-anem/public_html/worpdress directory

Something like:
    <VirtualHost *:80>
    ServerName domarealestate.com
    ServerAlias *.domarealestate.com
    DocumentRoot "/var/username/public_html/wordpress/"

I'd ask or make sure that your host has it setup so that all subdomains of your domain are pointing to the same document root for your wordpress site.

• Renee
      • New Recruit

Hi Ash, of course.

RewriteEngine On
      RewriteBase /
      RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]

# add a trailing slash to /wp-admin
      RewriteRule ^wp-admin$ wp-admin/ [R=301,L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR]
      RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
      RewriteRule ^ - [L]
      RewriteRule ^(wp-(content|admin|includes).*) $1 [L]
      RewriteRule ^(.*\.php)$ $1 [L]
      RewriteRule . index.php [L]

• Bob Albert
    • Flash Drive

@Renee what host do you use? Do you have access to a cpanel management type tool?

One thing you could try is to explicitly setup that one sub domain and have it point to your wordpress directory.

Either do that in your cpanel management tool or have your host setup vacationrentals.domarealestate.com to point to your current and same public_html directory that domarealestate.com is setup for.

If that works then i think it's the *.domarealestate.com setup.

The fact that you don't get a wordpress error and are getting a server error makes me think it's a hosting issue and either they didn't setup things correctly for wildcard i.e. *.domarealestate.com or they don't support it.

• Bob Albert
    • Flash Drive

Comparing your .htaccess to what i have on my sites they are a little different.

This could be the issue… try updating with the following and see if that helps. the wp-admin rewrite rules are slightly different and sometimes thats all it can take :wink:

# BEGIN WordPress
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /

RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?wp-admin$ $1wp-admin/ [R=301,L]

RewriteRule ^ - [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(wp-(content|admin|includes).*) $2 [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(.*\.php)$ $2 [L]

# END WordPress

• Renee
      • New Recruit

Hi @Bob Albert, I switched out my .htaccess content with the above. No difference. Is your site in domain mode? I'm going to go into cpanel and set up the sub-domain directly to see what happens.

Thanks so much for your diligence with my issue! I truly appreciate it!!!!

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Hi there @Renee

I hope you are well today!

I re-read your initial post and one thing just jumped out at me:

Created dummy Plugins folder with zero plugins...

What is the dummy plugins folder for, and where did you create it?

Here's some info about how a sub-domain-based WordPress network should be set up by default:

- Wildcard sub-domain added in cPanel as per 1st screenshot below.

- Folder structure as per 2nd screenshot (from Filezilla).

- Default wp-config.php contents:

define('MULTISITE', true);
    define('SUBDOMAIN_INSTALL', true);
    define('DOMAIN_CURRENT_SITE', 'yourdomain.tld');
    define('PATH_CURRENT_SITE', '/');
    define('SITE_ID_CURRENT_SITE', 1);
    define('BLOG_ID_CURRENT_SITE', 1);

- Default .htaccess:

RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /

RewriteRule ^wp-admin$ wp-admin/ [R=301,L]

RewriteRule ^ - [L]
    RewriteRule ^(wp-(content|admin|includes).*) $1 [L]
    RewriteRule ^(.*\.php)$ $1 [L]

• Renee
      • New Recruit

Hi @PatrickCohen, I renamed my plugins folder to deactivate all plugins and then I added the plugins back individually to troubleshoot a plugin issue.

My host provided does not allow me to add: *.domarealestate.com in the sub-domains section of cpanel. I had add a *.domarealestate.com DNS record. ANd they said Apache supports wilcard domains, but that is the way I had to set it up.

• Bob Albert
    • Flash Drive

Well this is encouraging… http://vacationrentals.domarealestate.com/readme.html does render the wordpress readme file, so that seems like that subdomain is pointing to the right place or to some wordpress folder :wink:. When i just load the domain i get a blank page, again more encouraging than you'd think.

When I host map http://test.domarealestate.com to your ip, and try to load the http://test.domarealestate.com/readme.html I get 404 file not found.

So looks like the wildcard setup isn't pointing to your wordpress directory but the manual one you setup seems to be setup correctly in your host.

Not sure why vacationrentals.domarealestate.com isn't rendering correctly.

Maybe go to the network admin panel, then look at sites and make sure it is setup correctly???

@Patrick Cohen thanks…

Bob

• Renee
      • New Recruit

I have another WP install in the vacation rentals.domarealestate.com subdomain I manually set up. It appears my host shuts down multiple instances of WP, which is why I went the multisite route. :slight_smile:

Both you and @PatrickCohen are rock stars!!!

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hey there Renee,

Thanks for posting back.

I would like to have a closer look at your site and install if the issue is still there.

Can you please send me your login details via our secure contact form

1: Mark the email to my attention

Attn: PC

2: Include a link of this thread in the email

3: Include cPanel, FTP and WordPress super admin details.

4: While filling the form, select "I have a different question" from the list.

Looking forward for a response on this.

Cheers, PC

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.