New site owners getting access to main site backend

Hi,
I'm having a bit of an issue. It seems that when a new user registers for a site they are being given access to the main site backend. When they log in they are taken to the main site backend and not to their site. When I look at users in the network admin area I can see that they are listed as mainsite users as well as their own sites. I'm sure this must be somekind of settings issue, Any suggestions as to how to insure that users only have access to their own sites admin area and not the main site admin area.
Thank you
Meriam

• Vaughan
    • Support/SLS MockingJay

Hi Meriam,

Hope you're well?

No, this is not a settings issue, this is exactly what's supposed to happen and is the way multisite works.

All users who register become network users on the network, but users will only have an actual user_role on the site they registered with.

You can use a plugin such as User access manager to restrict admin functions.

http://wordpress.org/plugins/user-access-manager/

Hope this helps

• smithmeriam
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Ummm, not sure what to make of that , Are you saying this is a function issue, I was running more tests and it isnt all stores that have granted access to more than one user. Out of the 8 tests stores only 4 are listing multiple users. It seems somewhat random.
    I am using multisite user management so my new users have admin rights on their sites and subscriber on the main site. However the access to other sites not theirs seems like a problem.

• smithmeriam

Actually it isnt totally random it looks like users are given access to the blog that was created before them. Is there a way to stop this? I can figure out how to hide this from a user but that doesnt seem ideal since it suggests a problem.

• smithmeriam

So I have posted two images to show what i am going on about, as you can see the majority of users are getting subscriber status to the blog created before them (although you can see one that did not and I dont know why). This is an issue becuase although they cannot edit the other blog it is listed as part of their sites and it just looks messy and bad. Is there a way to fix this?
    Thank you
    Meriam

• smithmeriam

I've been doing more testing and the issue only occurs if the user and site are added from the homepage (as a real user would do). It happens like this if I sign out and go to my website to create a new site the first registration is fine, then if I sign out of the new account and go back to the homepage all the following added users are added as subscribers to the previous site that was created before them.
    The whole thing seems to reset at some point, because as I said this was occurring yesterday where new users would have access to the previous site but when I went and tried it today the first new user/site I created was correct with only having access to their own site and the main site, but after that first one all subsequent users are made subscribers of the previous created site.
    However this problem does not occur if I add a new site from the network admin area. It is always normal with the user only having access to their site and the main site? Can someone give me an idea of what the problem might be, does it have to do with the signup.php or something else?
    Thank you

• smithmeriam

So I was trying to get login redirect working because in addition to adding users as subscribers to other sites it was setting the main site as the user’s primary site so that when they login they are directed to their profile on the main site’s backend and not to their sites admin area.
    So, this is what I need to figure out.
    1.) Insure that when a new user registers for a site they are only added as users for their site and the main site.
    2.) That their site is their primary site by default so that when they login they are directed to that dashboard and not to the main site backend.

If anyone has any ideas I would be glad to try them out.

• be
    • WP Core Meltdown

1 - should happen like that as a matter of process..
    Do you have "role" plugin activated. sometimes they can by default give access.. however I do recall this issue being raised previously will have a look at some old threads..

2 - there is a redirect plugin somewhere in here to achieve this..or maybe I created it cannot remember but I use one on all ecomm multisites..
    Maybe some light reading as well... will see what I can find

Just be mindful when testing.. if you are creating tests as Super admin you see everything - if you were a user.. you would not..

• smithmeriam

Hi be, thanks for the reply,
    I am using multisite user management in which all new users of the main site are set to subscribers, And all other blogs are set to none. So why new users are being given a role in the previous blog seems odd. I don't have issue with users being subscribers to the main site but I really don't want them added to other users sites even as subscribers, I imagine it will be confusing for the user to find that they have access to someone's else's store for no reason.
    Thank you for the redirect links I will try those out.
    Cheers
    Meriam

• smithmeriam

Well I figured out the redirect I used the code in this thread https://wordpress.org/support/topic/automatic-redirection-to-child-site-from-main?replies=20
    and it is working well so far. I tried setting all new user roles to none in the multisite user managment plugin which didnt change the problem, although it does now have the users new site set as their primary site instead of the mainsite which is good.
    So the last thing to figure out why users are being added as subscribers to others sites.

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @Meriam,

Hope you're well today, thanks!

I've just checked and it seems t be working correctly, the users are added to the main site (correct) and their own site if they sign up for one.

If they try to access another sites admin area they aren't able to do so (screenshot attached).

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• smithmeriam

Hi Jack,
    Thank you for taking a look. However I am wondering how you tested this out. It looks like you only added one site and this issue does not occur in that way.
    This is how I recreated the same issue again today.
    1. Log out as an administrator and go in as an anonymous user.
    2. Click register a site and go through the sign up process and create a site.
    3. Log out completely.
    4. Immediately go back to site as an anonymous user and register a new site as a user different from the one you went in as in step 2.

If you then go in to network admin you will see that the user you created in step 4 will have been added as a subscriber to the site that was created in step 2.
    Yes it is true that they don’t have any admin privileges to that site BUT should they be added to that site anyways? In addition they are given a link to that site in the “My Sites” area of the dashboard.
    I don’t mean to be annoying about this issue but I am just wondering if this is normal?
    Kind regards
    Meriam

• calvinrogercanas
    • New Recruit

I don’t mean to be annoying about this issue but I am just wondering if this is normal?

Hello Meriam,

No, we are happy to help you with this issue and no, this situation is weird and not normal on any point.

I followed the steps you said on your last reply (except the step 1) and since I don't have admin privelege may I request that you check if 'wptest2' is a subscriber of site create by 'wptest1' ?

Could you also grant support access from the dashboard plugin in order for me to take a closer look. See https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Looking forward for your reply and I hope we can solve this matter in no time.

Kind Regards,
    Calvin

• smithmeriam

Hi Calvin,

Thank you for testing this. Good news is that the two sites you created are normal with no strangeness. It looks like this is only occurring from my computer. I just added two more sites and the same issue occurs, this suggests that it is something on my end. Perhaps a cashing issue?
    I have granted you access but since it really isn’t a problem if it only occurs for me I will mark this as resolved unless there is an easy fix.
    I really appreciate you looking into this
    Thanks again
    Meriam

• Vaughan
    • Support/SLS MockingJay

Hi Meriam,

Can you perhaps test with a different computer if you have access to one? just to confirm for your own piece of mind?

Are you using the same browser all the time? maybe try using a completely different browser? Also try clearing all browser cache & cookies in your browsers before trying, it might just be a cookie issue in your browser.

Thanks

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.