New sites cannot be accessed on WP network

After creating a new site on network I get the message `this cannot be reached ~ sitename server DNS address could not be found.

Network is using subdomains and I have * wildcard subdomain setup.

• Predrag Dubajic

Hey Mark,

Hope you're doing well today :slight_smile:

Issue you're seeing is in most cases related to wildcard subdomain issues so my first suggestion is to double check that this was configured correctly.

Have you checked that your hosting supports subdomain installations as, unfortunately, there are still some hosts that don't allow this?

Let us know how it goes.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Mark Wall!

I"m sorry to say that but it seems that the wildcard is not setup properly after all. With wildcard working the server should respond with "something":

- the desired case is that the server either serves the site that's under the requested sub-domain or the main site of the multisite is returned

- the acceptable (for further setup) scenario is that server just returns "default" hosting page

In this case, server doesn't respond to any calls for non-existing sub-domains and DNS'es return the message that the target system name cannot be resolved. Therefore the request for a wildcard subdomain never even reaches your server.

This can mean a few things. First of all, if it's a new setup it may take some time to properly propagate DNS settings. Usually it takes just a few hours but a safe "waiting period" is up to 72 hours. Did 72 hours pass already since you set up wildcard? If not, let's wait first and see.

Second very common issue is that there is a wildcard DNS configuration on the server and its working fine but there's some sort of CDN in front of the site that's not supporting that. I used tracert on your site (unless I was mistaken with the site: I checked the "mt..." one that's multisite based on WP 4.7) and it seems there's no CDN so that wouldn't most likely be an issue.

I have also queried your DNS and it doesn't respond with relevant record other than A targeted to an IP. There's no CNAME, no * A record so that confirms that this is the DNS issue.

That said, I see that you are hosting with HostGator. Can you please tell me how did you set wildcard for your Domain there? It would be great if you could either share your DNS settings with us or share a detailed step by step description of what did you do.

Hopefully this would help us track down what's happening there.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Mark Wallace

Was speaking w/ HG the past 2 hrs, their support is not what it used to be.

I had them reset my cpanel hoping that fixes the problem, because it was obviously above their skill lvl to fix it.

I'll create the wildcard subdomain, install wp, make multisite and get back w/ you.

Is there a script outside of wordpress that would block the wildcard domain or maybe a script "outside" that would need added to the server to allow wildcards?

I'd like to check the server for it, before I begin.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Mark!

I'm sorry to hear that, hopefully that will soon work well for you :slight_smile:

There's no additional/"outside" script that would be required for such setup (unless there's any HostGator requirement but I never heard of any of that kind). With the default Multisite setup setups and standard wild-card configuration that should be working "out of the box".

The point is to make sure that the wildcard is working properly before starting to use Multisite. If I recall correctly on HostGator all you need to do to create a wildcard for the domain is to create a subdomain for the domain with a name of "*" and taking care of "document root" settings - it has to point to the same "document root" that is set for the domain.

As you are now attempting to set everything up again from scratch, let me know if you come across any issues again (make sure that you waited up to 72 hours in case wildcard was set but didn't work) and I'll do my best to assist you.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Mark!

I used quick install. 2 seperate host had the same problem of new installs not letting me use subdirectories.

I specifically asked whether you installed WP "manually" or using some installer script because this "quick install" tools are known to cause unexpected and, frankly, not quite "reasonable" issues. A "classic" manual install is actually a simple process and gives you more control over what happens :slight_smile:

I used subdomians and everything is fine now.

That means that your network is working fine now and this thread can be considered as solved or do you still need assistance? Let me know please.

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.