New sites show up in "Sites" but don't appear to be connected to Multisite?

Hi -
Well, they say there's no such thing as a stupid question, but I'm out to challenge that one question at a time!

In fact, I feel like I asked this already and worked my way through it, but I've really hit a glitch.

I have a multisite installation on an addon domain. So far, so good; I have several sub-sites added and they look/work fine:

The ones with the previous installation date are fully functional. They show up under "my sites" in the menu at top, as well as in the dashboard listing, & they work w/ no difficulties.

I tried to add new additional sub-sites yesterday. As you can see, they do show up under the Sites > All Sites menu . But, they do NOT show up under "My Sites" under the "Network Admin" menu.

Furthermore, while I can go into them via Network Admin > Sites, and while they do show up & are active WP installations, when I go into the wp-admin for each, they do not appear "linked" to the main multisite install. I do not see my installed WPMU plugins to activate on these new sites, for instance...Just a regular WP install:

I set these sub-domains up the same way I did the previous ones that work fine: set up subdomain name, A name linked to the IP address in Cpanel, etc. I have double checked just to make sure I didn't skip a step, but it appears I set them up the same exact way I did the ones that do show up/work right.

Can you please help me spot what I did wrong? I'm sure it's something simple, but I am willing to feel a bit sheepish upon hearing what I missed! : )

EDIT: Actually, now that I go in & look, I'm not so sure the previously connected sub-sites are actually working correctly with the Multisite, either.

I am about ready to throw my hands up in despair when it comes to understanding/using Multisite correctly. But you guys have some great plugins I need for my site, that only work with Multisite installed : )

Thanks!

• Rupok

Hi JAEJ,

Thanks for asking. Let me describe one by one.

I tried to add new additional sub-sites yesterday. As you can see, they do show up under the Sites > All Sites menu . But, they do NOT show up under "My Sites" under the "Network Admin" menu.

"My Sites" menu only lists those sites where the currently logged in user is Admin. So if you create a new subsite but assign a different user then you as admin for that site, your "My Sites" menu won't list that subsite under that menu, but you can still access that subsite from "Network Admin > Sites" section.

they do not appear "linked" to the main multisite install. I do not see my installed WPMU plugins to activate on these new sites

The screenshot you provided of your subsite Dashboard looks normal. Can you please confirm if you network activated any plugin, but that plugin is not showing in "Subsite Dashboard > Plugins" section?

Actually, I could tell you better about the issue if I could see it live, check your current configuration and make some tests on your site. Would you mind allowing Support Access so we can have a closer look at this?

To enable support access you can follow this guide here:
    http://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Please confirm here when you are done granting Support Access. I'm looking forward to hearing from you and resolving this issue as soon as possible.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

• JAEJ

Rupok,
    Thanks so much for the response! As far as I know, I've only assigned one admin per site as I set them up, and that's myself.
    >>Can you please confirm if you network activated any plugin, but that plugin is not showing in "Subsite Dashboard > Plugins" section?>>
    Yes, that is the case. I have several plugins activated on the main site which are not accessible thru the sub-sites.

As far as I know, I've enabled support access accurately per your instructions, and will message you the details if you need me to. Thanks!

• Nithin

Hey JAEJ,

Hope you are doing good today. :slight_smile:

I set these sub-domains up the same way I did the previous ones that work fine: set up subdomain name, A name linked to the IP address in Cpanel, etc. I have double checked just to make sure I didn't skip a step, but it appears I set them up the same exact way I did the ones that do show up/work right.

I can confirm there isn't any plugin conflict, and none of you subsite seems to work, or connected. I do have a doubt whether it could be related to this, you meant that you'll have to configure every time in your cPanel, when you create a new subsite in your dashboard? I happen to ask this specifically, because I created a new subsite, and it ended up in 404.

Do you have wildcard subdomain enabled? Could you please check the steps mentioned in the article, and see whether this is how you have configured:
    https://www.namecheap.com/support/knowledgebase/article.aspx/9191/29/how-to-create-a-wildcard-subdomain-in-cpanel

Just making sure whether we aren't missing out anything here, please advise if I'm missing out anything here, and let us know how that goes, so that we could give a closer look. Have a nice day. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

• JAEJ

Hello,
    In response:
    I do have wildcard domain enabled. They are set up as such:
    *.addondomain.com
    It also shows up as
    *.addondomain.maindomainname.com
    in my list of sub-domains.

The document root shows up as:
    /public_html/addondomain

Yes - I also have the same difficulty, namely, when I set up a new subsite through the WPMU dashboard, I was getting that 404. The only thing that has worked is setting them up as subdomains in Cpanel, where they then show up under the MySites in the WPMU dashboard. (That discussion is at https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/multisite-issue-404-error-when-i-add-new-sites)

I'm not sure if this issue is due to having shared hosting? According to Hostgator, I should still be able to successfully configure wildcards to work, but I am not having much luck. I appreciate your response and assistance.

• Rupok

Hi JAEJ,

So sorry to see that you are still having trouble. If you want, I can check your whole configuration and try to make this working for you. But for doing that, I'll need your cPanel login credentials, Domain Control Panel (from where you bought the domain) login credentials and your WordPresss network admin login credentials. Can you please send me a message with these access credentials through our secure contact form here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/ so we can work on this and try to make the whole thing working for you?

Subject: "Attn: Rupok"
    - cPanel Username
    - cPanel Password
    - cPanel Login URL
    - Domain Control Panel Username
    - Domain Control Panel Password
    - Domain Control Panel Login URL
    - WordPress admin Username
    - WordPress admin Password
    - Login URL
    - Link back to this thread for reference
    - Any other relevant URLs

Select "I have a different question" for your topic. This and the subject line ensure that it gets assigned to me.

We will jump in as soon as you send us those credentials. I'm looking forward to hearing from you and resolving this issue as soon as possible.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

• Rupok

Hi JAEJ,

Thanks for providing all these details. I logged in your cPanel and found that your wildcard subdomain entry had wrong IP assigned. Please check the attached screenshot for reference.

I've fixed that and it will take some time to propagate the DNS.

I've also found that proper .htaccess code was not copied to your .htaccess file. That's why your multisite was behaving weird. I've added necessary code and now your subsites are created normally. All problems will be gone when DNS is propagated worldwide.

Please let us know if you can't access your subsites even after 48 hours from now. We will be glad to investigate further and will try to resolve this as soon as possible.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

• JAEJ

Rupok,
    Sorry for the late response. Out of frustration and necessity, I just kinda took a break from it all for a bit. Now, I come back to see the problem FIXED thanks to you!!

I will definitely make note of the errors you mentioned in my attempts to set things up, and hopefully, should I add a new multisite, it will go smoother next time around.

Thanks again for all of your assistance and for taking the time to help me resolve my issue. I appreciate you!!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.