new subdomain sites - corruption

this is probably hard to diagnose problem .. hopefully not ... it is probably associated with Domain Mapping... and Multi-Domains... but maybe not

I have a WP 3.5 multisite subdomain network with multi-domains and domain mapping, all plugins updated. so far it seemed to work reasonably well... but...

I added a new subdomain site to one of the multidomains... seemed okay... but for some mysterious reason that site thinks it is another site... this is even hard to explain:

mainsite.com
subdomain.mainsite.com has a multidomain samplesite.com
so I add new site to samplesite.com
problem.samplesite.com
looks like it was added okay... but when go to dashboard or visit site, problem.samplesite.com goes to anothersite.mainsite.com...

BIGGEST CLUE... anothersite.mainsite.com is a site that used to have domain mapping - anothersite.com, but I deleted the domain mapping to just use anothersite.mainsite.com

I tried adding another test site with anothersite.mainsite.com deactivated. nope, same problem -- newtest.samplesite.com thinks it is anothersite.mainsite.com

CLUE: with anothersite.mainsite.com "deactivated" - visiting the site, it displays and is not deactivated. both dashboard and live site - it is not deactivate

I added a new multidomain ... examplesite.com added another test site... test.examplesite.com still goes to anothersite.mainsite.com...

CLUE I added a new test site to mainsite.com = test.mainsite.com and it resolves correctly. so it is the multi-domain sites with the problems adding new subdomain sites.

Maybe not a clue, but.. when creating the site I noticed that templates were not offered - and New Blog Template settings have been deleted somehow during updates. but ultimately I don't think the blog templates have anything to do with it.

in order to test Domain Mapping as the culprit I went back to the original anothersite.com... and reestablished it. it resolves correctly - even with the site "disabled".

BIGGEST CLUE2... but guess what... with Domain Mapping restablished for anothersite.com --- adding a new site to samplesite.com... a Different site that had recently had domain mapping changed is now chosen as the identity

the new test site test4.samplesite.com now thinks it is differentsite.mainsite.com

but the sites created before anothersite.mainsite.com was reverted, they still think their dashboard and site is anothersite.mainsite.com

I know this one is a brain bender, but my network is now handicapped... and I'm pretty sure Domain Mapping combined with Multidomains is to blame... but could be wrong of course

help and advice greatly appreciated.

BTW: I really can't see disabling domain mapping to test this... my network would be down.

• Zyniker

Do you currently have a lot of domains mapped? If not, clearing out Domain Mapping's database table and re-creating the records has solved a lot of problems for me in the past. If so, have you had a look at what records are currently in that database table? If something looks out of place, it may help to delete that record.

Also, do you have both the wp_domain_map and the wp_domain_mapping tables in your database? Was this install working at some point and the issue started recently (e.g., with your update to 3.5)? or is it a new install? If the latter, which host?

Do you have single sign-on enabled in Multi-Domains?

• tripvendor

thanks for your interest:

1) way too many sites to start over with domain mapping
    2) domain mapping table... nothing looks out of place (domains related to problem are not listed there anymore)
    3) wp_domain_map is not in the DB
    4) I can't pinpoint when problem came up - don't know what update caused it WP, multi-domains or domain mapping plugins. but definitely related to changing sites from having domain mapping to not having domain mapping
    5) not a new install
    6) problem persists with either single sign-on enabled or disabled

new symptom.... Admin is 10x slower now.... which just kills me

• aecnu

Greetings tripvendor,

Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention, sorry to see that your WordPress installation is having this issue, and it is my thoughts to be similar to Zyniker's that the Domain Mapping database entries are indeed corrupt and if cleaning them up is out of the question then the next best step would be to restore the last functioning correctly database backup or at minimum restoring the wp_domain_mapping table.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• tripvendor

the recent domain mapping update had so many issues, I would really appreciate hearing from the developer before I take the time - and that means DOWNTIME - dealing with the simple mapping table hoping it might fix this. seems to me that table is pretty simple to be the cause of this -

but I'm open to recommendations based on something firm. doesn't it just tie a Blog ID to a domain ? or did I not see something in the table...

it appears to be some sort of conflict between multi-domains and domain mapping scripts, not DB (at least in wp_domain_mapping)

• aecnu

Greetings tripvendor,

You may indeed be on to something in regards to Domain Mapping versus Multi Domain though I am not qualified to make that determination and indeed Domain Mapping has had several updates come out and I am wondering if the sunrise.php from Multi Domains has an issue of some sort with the newer Domain Mapping.

But this is something the lead developer would have to repair in any event.

Though this may take a bit longer then a normal ticket, I will try to get him in here asap.

Cheers, Joe

• tripvendor

Thanks Joe

I know it isn't trivial to diagnose. quicky recap if someone had a test network to play with

1) WP multisite subdomain network with multi-domain/domain mapping with a bunch of subdomain sites with domain mapping

2) delete the domain mapping on a couple of sites and keep the sites as subdomain.mainsite.com

3) then try to add a subsite to another separate multi-domain site

(my problem is it identifies the new site as one of the deleted domain mapping subdomain.mainsite.com and not a new site)

AND deactivation of the site isn't working

(I changed the domain.com from a parked to an add-on domain and used htaccess to point domain.com to subdomain.mainsite.com to get some SEO before the domain expires -- which shouldn't be related but just to give a complete picture)

regards

• tripvendor

Hi Joe --

I believe this problem goes beyond what I thought and focused on in this thread. It only became apparent under the circumstances described.

I think it has something to do with WP3.5 update and server settings. I'm having problems on sites that don't have domain mapping or multi-domain.

I will do more research and create a new support thread and/or reply here if I find a solution.

Thanks