New to Multisite – clone main site

I am converting a single site into a multisite. I have already enabled multisite, and everything seems to be working. I believe the original site is now the main site. I want to move the main site to a template site (or clone). Then from the template site I want to make some adjustments, like removing users, basic editing. Then once the site is ready I want to clone that template site out to 3 new sites (multisites). From what I have been reading, copying the main site can cause problems. I see there are some tools to accomplish this, but they all have warnings. I am looking for guidance on how to accomplish this. The main site does use Buddy Press and bbPress.

• Kasia Swiderska
    • Support nomad

Hello Jeff,

I believe the original site is now the main site.

Yes, that is correct.

Cloning main site to subsite should not cause any problems – especially when you are using our Cloner plugin https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/cloner/

It will allow you to clone your whole main site to subsite, and then you can clone subsite to other subsites using the same plugin.

Then once the site is ready I want to clone that template site out to 3 new sites (multisites).

I want to be sure that we are on the same page here – you want to clone them to subsites on your network or migrate that subsite to three new separate multisites?

kind regards,

Kasia

• Jeff
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

I want to clone them to the existing multisite. Basically, I am creating a template that can be cloned multiple times for additional sites.

So warnings like this one “But please be especially careful with this feature. Multisite plugins like BuddyPress add tables at the main (wp_) level of the database.” are not a concern using cloner?

Thanks for your help

• Kasia Swiderska
    • Support nomad

Hello Jeff,

Can you show me source of this “But please be especially careful with this feature. Multisite plugins like BuddyPress add tables at the main (wp_) level of the database.” ? I don’t want to misinform you on that subject, but I know that few members did clone successfully sites with BuddyPress and other plugins – so I would like to check this source to be sure it will work for 100%.

kind regards,

Kasia

• Rupok
    • Support Ninja

Hi Jeff, hope you had a wonderful day.

Can you try this plugin? https://wordpress.org/plugins/multisite-clone-duplicator/

I’ve not used this but I think, this is something you are looking for. From their description, I got this:

It allows you to clone any site of your network into a new one : all data, files, users and roles can be copied. It is useful when you want to create multiple sites from the same template : Don’t waste your time copying the same configuration again and again !

Please let us know the result.

Have a nice day. Cheers!

Rupok

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.