New user questions about Support and Hosting

I just now joined WPMU*Dev and I'm trying to figure out what your services do and do not include, so I've included a few initial questions below.

I appreciate, and thank you in advance for your patience with, my newbie questions.

Metta

Do you provide support for sites hosted on Dreamhost -- or does my site need to be hosted by your recommended service providers?

Do you provide support for individual blogs that do not have multi-user activated?

Am I correct in assuming you only provide support for sites using WPMU*Dev approved themes and plugins? If so, do you discourage your users from installing any other plugins?

What happens if I inadvertently break something on my site by using a non-WPMU*Dev plugin? Will your support team be able (willing) to help me fix any issues that remain after the problematic plugin has been uninstalled?

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya Metta,

Welcome aboard :smiley:

We were all newbies at first. No worries on that or the questions.

Do you provide support for sites hosted on Dreamhost -- or does my site need to be hosted by your recommended service providers?

Our plugins will work on any WordPress installation and we'll support you as best we're able regardless of the hosting provider.

Do you provide support for individual blogs that do not have multi-user activated?

Sure do. Most of our plugins will work on regular sites or multi-site. Each individual project page has a banner that shows whether it works with WordPress, Multisite, and/or BuddyPress - for example here:
    premium.wpmudev.org/project/e-commerce

What happens if I inadvertently break something on my site by using a non-WPMU*Dev plugin? Will your support team be able (willing) to help me fix any issues that remain after the problematic plugin has been uninstalled?

We'll help as much as we're able. Obviously we can't guarantee to fix a broken plugin or repair something that is broken by another product, but we'll do our best - and you're always fine to ask. If we can't help, we'll let ya know.

Also, if you're doing development on your 'live' site, I'd absolutely recommend you do regular backups - daily for the database. This way, if you modify something and everything breaks, you can roll back to the backup and be fine.

Hope this helps!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.