New users added via Batch Create do not receive the set password link

If I add a new user to the site manually, they immediately receive a 'Your username and password info' email containing a link they need to follow in order to set their password:

To set your password, visit the following address:
http://pci-learning.com/wp-login.php?action=rp&key...

When I add users via Batch Create they receive an email with these instructions (square brackets included):

Password: [User Set]
http://pci-learning.com/wp-login.php

This does not seem to work for new users.

Many thanks for your help

Best wishes

Frances

• Predrag Dubajic

Hey Frances,

I just tested this on my installation with one user that has password defined in CSV file and another one that doesn't.

In both emails full password was shown, first one shown entered password and second one shown random password created by WordPress.

Could you run a basic troubleshooting by disabling your other plugins and switching to default WP theme to see if there's any conflict on that end?

Best regards,
    Predrag

• PCI Team

Hello Predrag

Thanks again for your quick answer. Good to know that it's working for you. I'm surprised you say that in both cases the user receives the password in an email. That's what used to happen a year or so ago but I thought that a Wordpress security update meant that passwords could not be sent by email and the user had to set their own before they could access the site.

Do you know where the email that is being sent by Batch Create sits? The subject heading and wording in the email body are clearly different to the automatic Wordpress email and I think I need to edit it.

Many thanks

Frances

• PCI Team

I tried a test with 'null' for password and one with a password I specified. Both times the user got the same email, without the correct link or the password specified.

I've found the email. It's in Network Settings (by the way, new users are added at the multisite level).

Currently the email reads as follows. Is there some code I can put instead of 'PASSWORD' and 'LOGINLINK' so that it sends the correct password reset link?

Howdy USERNAME,

Your new account is set up.

You can log in with the following information:
    Username: USERNAME
    Password: PASSWORD
    LOGINLINK

Thanks!

--The Team @ SITE_NAME

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello PCI Team,

I hope you're well today!

You're right about changes in WP signup flow that resulted in WP sending "set password" link instead of "ready to use" password. This his however a bit different scenario.

The "Batch Create" plugin's idea is to create mulutiple blogs/sites at once, allowing their admins to use them "out of the box", without any need to register/signup. The default workflow here is that if password is provided in a file, it is send to the user. If there's no password, password is created automatically and sent to the user. This works despite current "default" WP sign up flow as WP allows it.

Taking Predrag's and my own tests into account I'm pretty sure that the issue here is not caused by default WP features but most likely some plugin is changing that flow. My colleague Predrag suggested full theme/plugin conflict test and this should be conducted in order to identify the main culprit.

However, you should be able to keep things as they are recently and just provide user with a link to setup password. It will not work though exactly the same way as default WP "set password" link but should let users change passwords anyway.

To do this use this "placeholder" anywhere in an e-mail you mentioned:

LOGINLINK?action=lostpassword

This will direct user to default "lost password" form so knowing a username and/or e-mail addres they'll should be able to set their passwords.

I hope that helps!
    Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.