New users cannot see their site or log in.

Hi

I am new to wordpress mu and WPMUDEV so sorry if this comes across a bit strange.

I am using Pro sites for free registration (we will be adding a paid registration at some point) but the problem is when a new user registers for a site they choose their user name and given a password, they can then click on a link to access their site or login. However neither of these links can be found when clicked on. We are using the subdomain option for the users example "mysite.jibberin.com". We are also using the remove email verification plugin because even the activation email would not work.

Any help would be greatly received.

Thanks

Jamie

• marikamitsos
    • The Crimson Coder

Hello jamieh05 and welcome to the Forums :slight_smile:

Can you please check if the new sites are even being created?
    You can do this in two ways
    1. Go to your network panel and check under Sites if there are any new sites created
    2. Go to your cPanel/File Manager. Then see if there are any new sites in wp-content/blogs.dir folder. If there are NO folders there (like: blogs.dir/2 or blogs.dir/3)

Since you are using the sub-domains set-up please make sure that your host provider allows you to add wildcards and you have everything configured right.

I hope that helps,
    marikamitsos

Please let us know if you need further assistance. We are here to help. :slight_smile:
    Thank you for your time,
    marikamitsos.

• marikamitsos
    • The Crimson Coder

Actually I went over your site and registered for a new site.
    I was told (on screen) that the site was created and was sent an email notification as well. But no site was created. Were you notified of the new site by an email? Is there a new site under your network/sites?
    Can you please check it so we can take it from there?

marikamitsos

• jamieh05
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi everyone

Thanks for the help.

I have check in network panel and check under Sites and i can see both sites there and under users and both are there.

Just checked the wp-content/blogs.dir folder but no sites in that.

I will go and check my hosting now.

Thanks

Jamie

• jamieh05
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi marikamitsos

It looks like the problem is with the wildcards, saying that i have set it up as the host suggests and now i get a blank white screen on the subdomain and a 404 error page when i go to wp-login.php to try and access the dashboard for the site.

Here is what the hosts said to do.

Make sure you have a wildcard subdomain setup. Go into your cPanel, go to Subdomains, look for *
    Yes, I see an asterisk. If it's there, proceed. If not, add a subdomain called * .
    Make sure to set the document root to your public_html folder.

Thanks

Jamie

• jamieh05
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi Marikamitsos

I have read both those articles and have done everything it has asked in each when i set up Multisite.

Just tried another new sign-up and still get the same thing white blank screen on the user site, and a 404 error page from my host on the login page

Jamie

• marikamitsos
    • The Crimson Coder

. If you find it difficult to understand ask your hosts to it set up for you. (it is part of their support I assume)

Have you tried this as well?
    The only reason I get back to this solution is because it will be much easier and faster for you to resolve the issue.

marikamitsos

• Kimberly
    • Champion of Loops

Make sure you have a wildcard subdomain setup. Go into your cPanel, go to Subdomains, look for *
    Yes, I see an asterisk. If it's there, proceed. If not, add a subdomain called * .
    Make sure to set the document root to your public_html folder.

This is the key item for your wildcard to ensure that you are actually creating sites on your server. My host is not the best but they set this up for me, it's part of the service they provide. You should be insistent that they walk you through the above if they do not want to do it for you.

• jamieh05
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi Kimberly & Marikamitsos

Managed to figure it out not to the help of my host.

But you guys really did help i have never heard of wildcards before. Thanks for that.

I did set up the wildcard to my public_html folder however i do have other sites on that and it caused a problem so i had to put the wildcard on the public_html/jibberin.com domain.

Thanks for everything seems to be ok now.

Jamie

• Kimberly
    • Champion of Loops

@Jamie AWESOME for you! Better to learn to do it yourself, it then becomes a triumph instead of just a small success :slight_smile:

@marikamitsos you earned them here and many other places! You are very kind to be so helpful, not many would take the time :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.