New WordPress Chat Plugin Alpha

What’s new in this release:

* Fixed: Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STATIC, expecting T_OLD_FUNCTION or T_FUNCTION or T_VAR or ‘}’

* Fixed: Issue in displaying non ASCII characters (Ü,Ö,Ä,ü,ö,ä,…:wink:

* Fixed: Not sufficient permissions to modify Chat plugin settings

* Fixed: Slashes in message and author name

* Fixed: Sound issues

* Fixed: IE 7 javascript errors

* Fixed: Timezone issue

* Fixed: Unicode characters issue

* Allow users with only edit_posts or edit_pages (not both) to add to posts

* Fixed: IE 8 javascript errors in wp-admin

* Allow admin to control the chat text color

• BrendanRohan
    • New Recruit

Hey,

It’s my first day on here… woo hoo! Just wanted to know 2 things about the chat plugin.

I have set it up no problems and both the page version and bottom corner versions are good to go.

1) I can’t minimize the bottom corner chat for some reason. I see the icon but it’s not working.

2) Which leads me to a suggestion… any plans for an ‘aero / vista’ like opaque background for the corner chat. Mines getting lost in the back ground graphics.

It can be seen here… http://www.my-kinesiologist.com/

Cheers,

Brendan

• BrendanRohan
    • New Recruit

P.s. The glitch seems to be when the emoticons are enabled in the corner chat. If I switch them off, hey presto it works. Is this an incompatibility with some other plugin? ( I’m no techy, coder or geek so go easy with the description )

• S H Mohanjith
    • Developer

@brendanrohan

Lets try to get the background issue sorted first. You can set the chat background colors in 'Settings' -> 'Chat' -> 'Bottom corner chat' -> 'Colors' (see attached screenshot). If you have any issues with that please do let us know.

Once that's sorted, can you please enable emoticons and see whether there are any javascript errors?

Btw, what browser are you using?

• BrendanRohan
    • New Recruit

1 Below are the settings for the corner chat. I changed them several times it but it didn’t seem to change on site. I tested it with blue but accidently left the background that way because it didn’t change!!!

I have now changed the background to white – FFFFFF.

2 I am running the old version of Flock.

3 This all may come down to a conflict in my ( many ) plugins too. I’m relatively new and I haven’t gotten the hang of what can go with what. You’re welcome to see a list of my plugins if you think that’s where I’ve screwed up.

4 On a side note, I want to run some sort of ad banner just above the chat to advertise upcoming chat shows – I’d like to be able to edit the content, do you have any ideas how I can achieve this?

• BrendanRohan
    • New Recruit

Weird, the emoticon / corner chat glitch seems to have dissapeared. The only thing I have done differently was to turn off the wpmudev group calendar plugin ( it screwed with other site elements ).

The color issue still remains. Do you have a blog that I can follow re: the development of this plugin? It’s got great potential.

• BrendanRohan
    • New Recruit

@mohanjith.

Sure, I was going to suggest the same. But as I am new to this website and find forums to be maze-like, is there a way I can contact you directly? I’m happy to give you access so you can work on your plugin but I get a little lost with all this technical stuff. Also, I am betting it’s a plugin conflict of some kind. Thanks.

• Shane7
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hi, just curious on page view, How long do the chat entries last before they are cleared? (I only ask because I thought I read somewhere that they get cleared out approximately in an hour… but my chat is still showing the very first entries from oct 15)… or do they start to erase after a certain number of entries is reached?

• S H Mohanjith
    • Developer

@brendanrohan

I’m happy to give you access so you can work on your plugin but I get a little lost with all this technical stuff

Please send the admin login credentials via the contact form ( https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/ ), mark it to my attention, and give a link to the thread in the forum. Thanks.

@qwerty

How long do the chat entries last before they are cleared?

Chat entries are never deleted, you can clear them when you are logged in as an admin user or you can archive them when you are logged in as admin user and in chat settings archiving is enabled.

• BrendanRohan
    • New Recruit

1) I sent you the admin logon details via the contact form. http://www.my-kinesiologist.com/

2) There may be a new issue with the chat plugin.

I just had all of my October comments moved to the trash and as I added the chat plugin in October, I thought it may be related. I restored them okay so it’s alright. Could the Chat log files do this? I admit I have installed several other plugins recently but as this was an obscure thing, I didn’t notice it until a member commented.

3) A suggestion, could you add a ‘title section’ somehow so when the logs display, they show what the chat session was about and not just the dates? Maybe the first entry could be recorded and stamped on the logs? That would be way cool.

• S H Mohanjith
    • Developer

@brendanrohan

I just had all of my October comments moved to the trash.

None of the WordPress core database tables are touched by the Chat plugin except for the options table. It’s impossible that the comments could be affected by the plugin.

Also, as a suggestion, could you add a ‘title section’ so that the logs display what the chat session was about and not just the dates? That would be way cool.

It would be a nice feature, added to the list of new features to be implemented :slight_smile:

• kriskl
    • Flash Drive

I have used the chatroom, but when I tried to retrieve ‘archive’

it crashed the server :slight_frown:

so it is unsuable for now, apart from the fact, when people type, there is a delay

pity, because I have registered today, just to get this plugin :slight_frown:

• kriskl
    • Flash Drive

@s H Mohanjith

we are running some kind of php accelerator and not apache but litespeed server,

and tried it again few days ago, and site was totally unusable. very slow and then off line

had to delete the plugin using ftp

sorry to report that! :slight_frown:

• S H Mohanjith
    • Developer

@pisanojm

Nope, here is the change log

* Fixed: Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STATIC, expecting T_OLD_FUNCTION or T_FUNCTION or T_VAR or ‘}’

* Fixed: Issue in displaying non ASCII characters (Ü,Ö,Ä,ü,ö,ä,…:wink:

* Fixed: Not sufficient permissions to modify Chat plugin settings

* Fixed: Slashes in message and author name

* Fixed: Sound issues

* Fixed: IE 7 javascript errors

* Fixed: Timezone issue

* Fixed: Unicode characters issue

* Allow users with only edit_posts or edit_pages (not both) to add to posts

* Fixed: IE 8 javascript errors in wp-admin

* Allow admin to control the chat text color

• pisanojm
    • Flash Drive

Thanks,

Will you be adding the ability for users to see if someone is online, engaged in a chat, without them having to be in the chat, particularly with regard to the bottom corner chat. This is something I have been interested in since the chat was released.

Thank you.

• pisanojm
    • Flash Drive

Hello all (Polite bump),

I am very interested to see if you will be adding the ability to see if someone, is online, engaged in a chat, (Simple Number), not unlike Brajesh’s BP-Chat Plugin Beta at buddydev.com, or Evolve Chat, Bowob, etc.

This is the item that I would need in order to adopt this particular chat for our site. We are in need of a chat plugin for some time now. Interestingly enough, the Wibya Bar chat works very well, but it lacks Single-Sign-on integration with WordPress User Database -a must for us.

If you are not planning to implement this type of informative feature at some point, please let me know and I will be able to stop checking in on the progress of this plugin.

Thanks.

• aero7
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Am I missing something because after I installed the chat I don’t get any button to send the actual message. It only says this: “Enter” to send. Place code in between code tags. and there is a clear button below. This occurs both in post chat and bottom corner chat.

Thanks for any help :slight_smile:

• S H Mohanjith
    • Developer

@aero7, can you make sure there are no javascript errors. If it gave a line break there are probably javascript errors making the chat plugin to break.

@pisanojm, thank you for the suggestion. It will be added in a future release. Most likely in the next major release, but I cannot promise a time frame right now. I’ll update here once the feature is added.

• shirtandsimple
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

I am also looking for something similar to pisanojm’s request. I’d love to see the following:

1) The ability to see which users are on your site and invite them to a chat

2) individual chat’s that are private (between admin and one site users) instead of making all the chats be visible to anyone who logs in

3) Customize the header of the chat to contain an image/ad/operator picture or something other than just the work ‘chat’

4) chat from a mobile device as the admin — or at least from the WP back-end – i use a service called provide support that has a desktop application where you can see who is on your site and then invite them to chat (or they can just ring in)…it lets you have multiple operators, add canned responses, and see user analytics – these types of features would be awesome!

Also – i only see one area for controlling this chat as an admin and that is in ‘settings’ – how exactly do I close out and clear a chat that is on my site?

Can’t wait for more updates on this tool :slight_smile:

• shirtandsimple

thanks for your information – since it appears that each chat can be seen by anyone who logs in, is there a way for the admin or chat moderator to remove certain chat comments (or hide them). If chat content can be seen by anyone, I’d like to make sure the explicit or unwanted comments do not get seen. I was hoping to use this chat as a proactive sales and support tool, but it seems that with it’s current functionality it will be better served as a community tool until you can get some of the functionality I requested above implemented. I’ll probably use this chat on a ‘chat’ page instead of in the bottom right hand corner but want to make sure there is an option to remove part of a chat instead of either showing the whole thing or deleting the whole thing. Thoughts?

• shirtandsimple

Two more things!

1) I tried changing the height of the chat box that I added to a page, nothing seems to have happened. The exampled at http://www.exploresimple.com/chat is supposed to be 1200 px high.

2) Also, when both facebook and twitter are options, they don't look very nice next to eachother (see screen shot) – any way to make them line up nicer or at least be one on top of the other?

Thanks!

• lambwarren
    • Flash Drive

I installed the Chat plugin, and except for a couple minor CSS issues (I think Z-index), it works well. Thanks! I am wondering a few things:

1) Is it possible to have chats with individual users? So every unique user effectively starts their own chat with the Admin, so the admin can be responding to many people at once?

2) How do you clear the chat text from the chat window? I’d like to make it as close to a private chat as possible, so after I talk with a user, I’d like to be able to clear the window. And if I clear the text from one chat window (in one page or post), will it affect text from other chat windows?

3) For the bottom corner chat, how would I add instruction text above the Main Chat body?

4) Where do the chat logs show up when they are enabled?

Thanks so much!

Alan

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya Alan,

1) Is it possible to have chats with individual users? So every unique user effectively starts their own chat with the Admin, so the admin can be responding to many people at once?

This is on the roadmap, but not yet available.

2) How do you clear the chat text from the chat window? I’d like to make it as close to a private chat as possible, so after I talk with a user, I’d like to be able to clear the window. And if I clear the text from one chat window (in one page or post), will it affect text from other chat windows?

There should be a ‘clear’ button for each individual chat. It won’t affect other chats. It’s on the front end for post/page chats. We use it here for our weekly support chats.

3) For the bottom corner chat, how would I add instruction text above the Main Chat body?

This would have to be custom development – currently we don’t provide this in the chat. Perhaps a link to the instructions on a separate page of your site would do the trick?

4) Where do the chat logs show up when they are enabled?

When you click the archive button, the chat is saved and displays as the date of the chat. It’s linked underneath the specific chat and when clicked loads up the previous chat in an iframe below the chat.

Hope this helps!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.