New workflow for Development - using multisite and cloner?

I've been using WPTwin to clone development sites to their live locations. In general, the site is developed on a subdomain (of my site or of the client's site). With WPMU I noticed the Cloner plugin, but it requires Multisite... which I've never used.

However, I have many new website designs coming up in the next 6 months, and if I can make the rollover of dev sites into their live locations easier with WPMU tools, that would be awesome.

I don't even know where to begin, though...

Ideas? Will this work? What would your recommended workflow be using WPMU tools?

Thanks!

• Tyler Postle

Hey Raylene,

Hope you're doing well today!

Managing client sites with a multisite is definitely possible and many prefer it depending on the situation.

You could have your main site. yourdomain.com and turn that into a multisite, then create a new client site on clientsite.yourdomain.com and begin developing it there. Then when it's all ready you can use our Domain Mapping plugin to map it to their preferred domain - ie. clientdomain.com.

Cloner would be very useful if you wanted to have a pre-set configuration for future sites. Then when you wanted to make a new one, you just clone that pre-set subsite and you skip past the initial configuration you wanted to do.

Or if you wanted to first mess around on a test subsite - testsubsite.yourdomain.com but then liked what you came up with and wanted to move it over to make it the actual client site then you can easily clone it to a new subsite under a different name. ie. newclient.yourdomain.com.

The downsides of using Multisite for managing multiple clients is that a multisite has 1 directory of plugins. While there are tools to choose which sites can use which plugins, like our Pro Sites plugin, it doesn't change the fact that if your client sites needs require lots of different plugins site to site, then you could end up with a network that has a ton of plugins on it.

A big positive, is that you can manage all the sites from just one dashboard :slight_smile:

Hope this helps! You might find this blog post interesting too: https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/ultimate-guide-multisite/

If you have further questions just let us know.

All the best,
    Tyler

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.