New WPMU DEV SEO Plugin - Alpha Version

Hi Guys,

Here is the first alpha version of your WPMU DEV SEO plugin you were waiting for.

It aims to take care of every SEO option that a site requires, in one easy bundle and works with the latest versions of WP, Multisite and BuddyPress.

Features:
Automatic Links: allows you to automatically link phrases in your posts, pages, custom post types and comments to corresponding posts, pages, custom post types, categories, tags, custom taxonomies and external urls.

Title & Meta Optimization: allows you to optimize title and meta tags on every page of your site.

SEOmoz Report: provides detailed and accurate SEO information about your Web pages. It uses the SEOmoz Free API.

XML Sitemap: generates an xml sitemap which helps search engines to better index your site.

Installation:
Drop it in your plugins folder "/wp-content/plugins/" and activate it via your admin panel.

Test it, have a play and let us know what you think so that we improve it based on your suggestions.

Thanks,
Ulrich

• drmike
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

XML Sitemap: generates an xml sitemap which helps search engines to better index your site.

Just to clarify since many folks had concerns about this last time. What specifically is placed within the sitemap please? Is there a limit on the number of Posts? Pages? etc.?

From reading the description, it sounds like it;s no longer automated and behind the scenes like tha last one was. Right?

• pabloroboto
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Ulrich - thanks for this .. seems to have integrated nicely. Since I'm full of silly questions lately. Where can I see/ensure stats/performance regarding the optimization/being picked up by the engines ....

cheers ahead of time - pabloroboto

• roberte
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

sorry for what might seem like a silly question, but what exactly does this mean:

"automatically link phrases in your posts, pages, custom post types and comments to corresponding posts, pages,"

it reads like it creates a hyper text links inside post content to other posts, but i'm guessin that's not what it means...

• roberte

also:

1. do we NEED to use the SEOmoz option? or can we just not use it.

2. under seo settings > sitmaps, i'm confused by the fact that the path and url are different... i don't see the sitemap.xml in my root directory, but i do see it in my /wp-content/uploads/

do i play around with those, or just leaving the default is fine?

• roberte

noticed one potential bug/incompatibility.

when using Blog Templates plugin from here, the SEO plugin copies over the default template's sitemap path/url and doesn't appear to even create a sitemap for the new blog.

• Ulrich
    • The Crimson Coder

@roberte

just making sure. this is a multisite plugin but we DON'T drop it in /mu-plugins/ correct?

I will work in /mu-plugins/ also.

it reads like it creates a hyper text links inside post content to other postss, but i'm guessin that's not what it means...

That's what it means.

do we NEED to use the SEOmoz option? or can we just not use it.

You decide if you need it, and you decide if you want to use it or not. :wink: You have the option to disable it.
    But we strongly encourage you to use it since it is a great way to follow your site's performance.

under seo settings > sitmaps, i'm confused by the fact that the path and url are different... i don't see the sitemap.xml in my root directory, but i do see it in my /wp-content/uploads/

Just leave the default. When you (or search engines) visit yoursite.com/sitemap.xml, the sitemap will be automatically pulled from /wp-content/uploads/.

noticed one potential bug/incompatibility.

Thanks for reporting it.

• pabloroboto

@Ulrich -- well I guess SEOMoz would be another way no? I can tell that the SEO is pretty effective by performing searches myself and I see our Search Engine traffic growing in Google Analytics ... was just wondering if there was a panel that showed "last crawl" "posts indexed" etc ...

• alberti

Never had an install problem with 20+ of your plugins, but for some strange reason... it doesn't show up anywhere. I dropped the zip file into wp-content/plugins, then unzipped. Does not appear in admin or plugins. What am I missing?

• Ulrich
    • The Crimson Coder

@alberti: Got it to work, now I'm salivating to know how to do / setup automatic links. Please advise.

On the Automatic Links settings page, simply check the boxes to choose where to include the links (Insert links in: posts, pages, and comments) and in the next section (Link to) check the items you'd like for them to link to. To further filter your links you can include posts, pages and keywords to ignore, exclude headings.

• Ulrich
    • The Crimson Coder

@nickd32: I will just use the list of features detailed on the Yoast's WordPress SEO plugin page to make the comparison.

Both plugins have the following features in common
    Post title and meta description meta box to change these on a per post basis.
    Taxonomy (tag, category & custom taxonomy) title and meta description support.
    Google search result snippet previews.
    XML Sitemaps
    Meta Robots configuration
    Improved canonical support, adding canonical to taxonomy archives, single posts and pages and the front page.

Features Yoast's WordPress SEO plugin has and WPMU DEV SEO doesn't
    Focus keyword testing.
    RSS footer / header configuration.
    Permalink clean ups, while still allowing for, for instance, Google Custom Search.
    Breadcrumbs support, with configurable breadcrumbs titles.
    XML News Sitemaps. (useful for news sites only)
    .htaccess and robots.txt editor.

We didn't include these missing features because they are not the most important in a SEO strategy, we just wanted to have a first version out and iterate. But I can say almost all of them will be included in the next version of WPMU DEV SEO (coming very soon).

Features Yoast's WordPress SEO plugin doesn't have
    Automatic Linking: Maintain Fine-Grained Control of Your SEO Strategy (everyone knows that links are the bread and butter of SEO)
    SEOmoz Report: In a matter of seconds you can be funneling stats and ranking information for your site from the most highly-regarded SEO experts in the industry.

• alberti

Got the menu, thanks, but can you clarify what this feature does? What does it mean to "automatically link phrases in your posts to corresponding posts, pages, custom post types, categories, tags, custom taxonomies and external urls."

For example, I use "special.phrase" in one of my posts. I want "special.phrase" to link automatically to "special.phrase.com" (assuming I own the URL). Is this what it does or can do?

In the automatic links menu, under custom keywords, I typed in "special.phrase" but nothing happened. I created a category and post tag called "special.phrase."

I clicked some of the settings but did not find any place to identify which external URLs or special taxonomies to link to.

• Ulrich
    • The Crimson Coder

@alberti: I will publish the first stable version with detailed instructions today or tomorrow. It is similar to this version, but with bug fixes and all the instructions you need. Thanks for being patient.

@Joseff & @nickd32: I just noticed I did an error in the comparison. The following features are also included in WPMU DEV SEO.
    Meta Robots configuration
    Improved canonical support, adding canonical to taxonomy archives, single posts and pages and the front page.
    With have no ETA for that next version. But I can say the development is pretty much advanced.

@Joseff: No, there is currently no limit and sitemap index support. It will be considered for a future version.

• pabloroboto

Ulrich -- did this plugin alter the robots.txt file at all? I ask because what I currently have is diff than what Google recommends (FYI, I'm running BP Daily).

Have:
    User-agent: *
    Disallow:
    Crawl-delay: 2 <- Ignored by goole
    Request-rate: 1/2 <-Not understood by Google

Google Recommends (default)
    User-agent: *
    Allow: /

What would you recommend as the best config that dovetails with this plugin (if it matters) ...?

• pabloroboto

@Ulrich -- awesome. thank you! Looking forward to the doco on SEO plugin ... really liking it so far .. SEOMoz little obtuse (not the integration), but SEOMoz itself (eg, the freemium approach they are trying to employ really appears to give you hardly anything useful @ free) ...

cheers,
    pabloroboto

• successwebsolutions

I am getting the following error after installing this plugin:

Using WPMU 3.0.3, BuddyPress 1.2.7

Warning: array_merge() [function.array-merge]: Argument #1 is not an array in /home/admin/domains/successbusinesspro.com/public_html/wp-content/mu-plugins/wds-files/wds-autolinks/wds-autolinks-settings.php on line 24

Warning: array_merge() [function.array-merge]: Argument #2 is not an array in /home/admin/domains/successbusinesspro.com/public_html/wp-content/mu-plugins/wds-files/wds-autolinks/wds-autolinks-settings.php on line 24

Working Friendly
    Mike

• Aphrodite
    • The Reaper

Ohhhh my God missed this one....

This is goooooooooooooood ! and... but... It... Oo generates automatically titles and metas raaaaaahhhhhhh

and sitemaps for all subsites !!! I am dying !!!!

works fine for me. No error (wp 3.0.2 / BP 1.2.6)

hum... huh is it... huh.... gettextified ?

• bizpod
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

WP 3.01/BP 1.26 SEO V 0.1 & Studio Theme.

Site URL: http://www.mybeonline.com/

Active Components (All active):
    Automatic Links
    Title & Meta Optimization
    SEOmoz Report (but not set up API)
    XML Sitemap

Issues:

- No sitemap generated (clicking link to sitemap in admin panel shows blank page with no error message).
    - No meta info being written for any Buddypress element (groups, members, etc.) + Don't see any options in SEO admin to add any meta for these elements.
    - Meta title not displaying or printing to browser for posts (only meta description and link is written).
    - On category pages, the SEO title is printed on the page but not the browser window (which is displaying the category slug).
    EG.
    <!-- This site is optimized with the WPMU DEV SEO plugin v0.1. -->
    <meta name="description" content="Essential Skills for Business English"/>
    <link rel="canonical" target="_blank" href="http://www.mybeonline.com/category/be360-podcast/" />
    <!-- / WPMU DEV SEO plugin. -->

• laureenc
    • Flash Drive

i got the following errors in the sitemap settings:
    Warning: fopen(/home/hmba/public_html/wp-content/blogs.dir/3/files/sitemap.xml) [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/hmba/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wpmu-dev-seo/wds-files/wds-sitemaps/wds-sitemaps.php on line 19
    Warning: fwrite(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /home/hmba/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wpmu-dev-seo/wds-files/wds-sitemaps/wds-sitemaps.php on line 20
    Warning: fclose(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /home/hmba/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wpmu-dev-seo/wds-files/wds-sitemaps/wds-sitemaps.php on line 21
    Warning: fopen(/home/hmba/public_html/wp-content/blogs.dir/3/files/sitemap.xml.gz) [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/hmba/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wpmu-dev-seo/wds-files/wds-sitemaps/wds-sitemaps.php on line 28

• drmike
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

laureenc, can you check to see if the directory structure exists for that error?

/home/hmba/public_html/wp-content/blogs.dir/3/files/

And what the ownership and permissions for that subdirectory are?

fopen failing is a php common error. First step is to always check to see if the files and/or directories exist and are writable by the webserver.

• laureenc
    • Flash Drive

Hi,

Unfortunately, i had to go live with the site, so i ended up uninstalling the plugin -- but i just checked and yes, that directory structure is there (blogs.dir/3/files)

Version is updated to 3.04 now....not sure what it was when i wrote this post, but im pretty good about updating right away while im working on a site, so if that version was out then, you can pretty safely assume i was on it.

• drmike
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

@laureenc, that's a host question. Not sure about hostgator. You can ask them that you;ve got a wordpress plugin trying to create a file and you;re getting that fopen error. They may (should) be able to help with that. (Sorry about that. Didn;t see your response)

For those looking at their robots.txt file, please give this a read:

http://adambrown.info/b/widgets/kb-robots-txt/

Also see this thread about security concerns with the plugin:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/question-about-kb-robotstxt

Hope this helps,
    -drmike

• lightbeam

It seems like this SEO plugin was making my title TITLE : TITLE where TITLE is whatever is typed into the wordpress settings section. clearing that field made the title blank and no matter what I did I couldn't get the title to just say it once so i switched back to the other SEO plugin for now. looks good though! I'm sure this one will be better :slight_smile:

• xInd

How's it going here? Have we got past the initial alpha stage?
    I just downloaded the file shows it's 2 months old now, guess I'm a bit behind. I will throw it up in a beta setup somewhere, but if you guys are about to make another release I may just go live with it because I haven't started configuring all in one SEO and other stuff I use since our massive network re-install.

• sjrenn
    • Flash Drive

I'm running into a couple errors when user accounts attempt to visit the sitemap tab in the user dashboard.

Here they are

Warning: fopen(/home/myaccount/public_html/wp-content/blogs.dir/5/files/sitemap.xml) [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/press100/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wpmu-dev-seo/wds-files/wds-sitemaps/wds-sitemaps.php on line 19

Warning: fwrite(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /home/myaccount/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wpmu-dev-seo/wds-files/wds-sitemaps/wds-sitemaps.php on line 20

Warning: fclose(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /home/myaccount/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wpmu-dev-seo/wds-files/wds-sitemaps/wds-sitemaps.php on line 21

Warning: fopen(/home/myaccount/public_html/wp-content/blogs.dir/5/files/sitemap.xml.gz) [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/press100/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wpmu-dev-seo/wds-files/wds-sitemaps/wds-sitemaps.php on line 28

The wds-sitemaps.php file IS on the server following the /home/myaccount/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wpmu-dev-seo/wds-files/wds-sitemaps/wds-sitemaps.php path

However home/myaccount/public_html/wp-content/blogs.dir/5/files/sitemap.xml does not exist on the server

I'm assuming this doesn't need to be created manually for every blog. The blog.dir folder has permissions set to 755. Does this need to be changed and if so this will not cause security issues being left with 777 permissions?

Also everything seems to work fine on the main blog with the admin account.

• gestordeideias
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi Ulrich,

How about the "SEO Data Transporter" plugin from Studio Press, is it ok to use it in a existing site (with Yoast WP SEO, for example) before/ in order to migrate it to a new WP MU + BP? I think this (migration) will bea big issue for most os us...

Thanks and congrats for this outstanding (SEO) solution ... :wink:

• Fondeli
    • The Bug Hunter

Hi,

Just updated to wp 3.1 and have the following error:
    Warning: array_merge() [function.array-merge]: Argument #1 is not an array in /home/xxx/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wpmu-dev-seo/wds-files/wds-autolinks/wds-autolinks-settings.php on line 24

I have deactivated for the moment.

• Ulrich
    • The Crimson Coder

@rsisales

but how soon is soon? 2 weeks, 4 weeks, 6 weeks?

days

@Aphrodite
    Thanks for letting us know we are moving in the right direction. I am glad the plugin is working so well for you.
    What fatal error do you get with autolinks?

• gina
    • The Bug Hunter

here you go...

errors for autolinks:

) [function.array-merge]: Argument #1 is not an array in /home/xxxx/public_html/me.com/wp-content/plugins/wpmu-dev-seo/wds-files/wds-autolinks/wds-autolinks-settings.php on line 24

Warning: array_merge() [function.array-merge]: Argument #2 is not an array in /home/xxxx/public_html/me.com/wp-content/plugins/wpmu-dev-seo/wds-files/wds-autolinks/wds-autolinks-settings.php on line 24

and for bp chat:

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/xxxx/public_html/me.com/wp-content/plugins/wpmu-dev-seo/wds-files/wds-autolinks/wds-autolinks-settings.php:24) in /home/xxxx/public_html/me.com/wp-content/plugins/buddypress-ajax-chat/bp-chat.php on line 499

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/xxxx/public_html/me.com/wp-content/plugins/wpmu-dev-seo/wds-files/wds-autolinks/wds-autolinks-settings.php:24) in /home/xxxx/public_html/me.com/wp-content/plugins/buddypress-ajax-chat/bp-chat.php on line 500

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/xxxx/public_html/me.com/wp-content/plugins/wpmu-dev-seo/wds-files/wds-autolinks/wds-autolinks-settings.php:24) in /home/xxxx/public_html/me.com/wp-content/plugins/buddypress-ajax-chat/bp-chat.php on line 501

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/xxxx/public_html/me.com/wp-content/plugins/wpmu-dev-seo/wds-files/wds-autolinks/wds-autolinks-settings.php:24) in /home/xxxx/public_html/me.com/wp-content/plugins/buddypress-ajax-chat/bp-chat.php on line 502

gina

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.