Newb questions about Events+ Plugin

1) The root slug seems to be appending /wordpress to everything. I have wordpress physically installed in /wordpress, but the site is in / - There appears to be no way around that in the plugin's config. The plugin seems to be using the "Wordpress Address (URL)" from my config, instead of the "Site Address (URL)".

2) If an event is just one day, it says "Takes place on May 19, 2012 to" - How do I get rid of that "to" there at the end?

3) It'd be nice if the text "takes place on" could say "took place on" if the event is in the past.

4) Is it possible to take comments that are associated with a regular Wordpress post on my site, and have them associated with an event? If I move from the old style to the events+ plugin, I'll want to move some comments.

5) The settings for the Google Maps plugin has a section about custom fields - specifically "My posts have an address field". I wanted to make use of that. However, there appears to be no way to turn on custom fields in an events+ post. How do I go about doing that?

6) Any attempt to put an image into an events post and use either left or right align doesn't display right. Likewise, formatting text with H2 does the same thing. Look at the formatting:

a) Event created with plugin: http://www.black-sabbath.com/tourdates5/2012/05/051912/

b) Original post I'm trying to replicate: http://www.black-sabbath.com/tourdates/2012tour/051912-2/

I understand some things change, but simply putting in some text and giving it an H2 and attempting to right align pictures shouldn't blow things up like this, IMO.

• Dopefish
    • Flash Drive

Additionally.. Regarding Point 6 in the list above, the text doesn't look like that in the editor. It only looks screwed up in the post. I'm unclear whether this is related to the plugin, or my overall theme, but I thought I'd throw it out there just in case. See attached.

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Hiya @Dopefish,

I'll try to answer a few of your questions... doubt I can answer them all, but hopefully some other gentle folk will jump in :slight_smile:

Points from your 1st post first then...

1. That's one I can't answer (sorry)
    2. Simply enter start and end times.
    3. Good suggestion. I'll be sure the dev gets notified.
    4. Yes it's possible, but you'd likely need to make those edits in your database (modify taxonomies, IDs, etc)
    5. If you want the location of the event to display in a map, simply enter that info in "Event location" box (in the Event Details section) when creating/editing an event.
    6. Have you tried switching templates in the appearance settings/

Whew! Let's go with that for now shall we?

• Dopefish
    • Flash Drive

Patrick, regarding your answer for #2.. None of my events will have start/end times, so I just want to remove that word completely.

Regarding #4, I asked about a plugin to do it. Some exist, but they're multiple years since their last update.

Regarding #5.. I really wanted to put the venue in the location field, since I'm going to be using this for a tourdate archive. Some of them won't have a location at all, and I won't want that field translated if I put "None" in there or something. I really preferred to use the custom field idea I saw in the config area for the Google Maps plugin. But I don't seem to be able to use custom fields with the events, which is disappointing for me. Could be a dealbreaker.

• Vladislav
    • Dead Eye Dev

Hi,

As for the custom fields - you can actually use custom fields with Events+. The custom post type for the event has them disabled by default, but the support for additional features is made extensible through regular WordPress hooks system. Specifically, to get custom fields in Events+, you can use this bit of code:

function eab_add_excerpts_and_custom ($supports) {
    	$supports[] = 'custom-fields';
    	return $supports;
    }
    add_filter('eab-event-post_type-supports', 'eab_add_excerpts_and_custom');

Having said that, you don't need the Google Maps custom fields integration to work with Events+ locations. If you enter a venue address for your Event, the Google Map for it will be rendered with your Event on the front end. However, you can just leave this field empty and the event will have no map whatsoever, which is pretty much how the custom field integration works too.

• Vladislav
    • Dead Eye Dev

Hello,

Also, the wording changes you mentioned should be fixed/implemented in the latest plugin release (v1.5, just released). Namely, the extra "to" shouldn't be appearing anymore in daily event setup, and there's also past/future distinction in events taking place wording.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.