Newbie Child Theme question

Hi, sorry but I'm a beginner to wordpress, so that's why I decided to try out your service. I was thinking the first thing I should do it is create a child theme.

I read your article but I'm still having trouble because I'm not sure how to follow the instructions =[

Create a theme directory in your WordPress install
Create a stylesheet with information about your child theme
Pull in the styles of your parent theme

I'm not really sure on how to do this I'm only really familiar with using the admin tools on wordpress. Hoping to learn more so I don't need to ask stupid questions like this but in the meantime could you help me? Thanks so much in advance.
Brian

• Nastia

Hello Brian

Welcome to WPMU DEV Community

Have a good start! We can guide you through all this and provide the information you need :smiley:

Create a theme directory in your WordPress install

All the WordPress themes are located in the wp-content/themes directory. Each theme have it's own folder.

To create a theme directory, just create an empty folder inside the wp-content/themes.

Create a stylesheet with information about your child theme

This requires to create a file named
    styles.css

You can do this with a simeple Text editor.

Pull in the styles of your parent theme

You need to create a functions.php file and paste the follwowing code inside:

add_action( 'wp_enqueue_scripts', 'enqueue_parent_styles' );
    function enqueue_parent_styles() {
        wp_enqueue_style( 'parent-style', get_template_directory_uri().'/style.css' );
    }

This file you can as well create with any text editor.

Both files, style.css and function.php must be placed inside the theme folder that you have created.

I would like to interest you in our Academy courses:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/academy/

You can join the "WordPress Multisite Masterclass" course which will help you to understand how WordPress works.

Let us know if you have other questions!

Cheers,
    Nastia

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.