newbie has probably installed WP incorrectly

I have installed 2 WP sites in the past 3 days. Both behave similar. Both do not load the front page graphics - the spectacular rolling slicing fx "showcase", but it did load the static picture front page when I themed "yoko".

BTW The only way I can change a theme is within wp-admin / wpmudev has no effect... at least for me.

So either "showcase" has a bug, or I am repeating the same "instal" mistake twice... being a newbie, I could do with some help.

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hello @johnjz

Greetings and thanks for posting on the forums.

First of all, Welcome to the club :slight_smile:

That might be a problem with the install/theme issue however I will need to find out with you that what is wrong.

First of all, how did you install the showcase theme ?

How did you activate it ?

What is the link to your sites ?

Please advise.

Cheers, PC

• johnjz
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

I read through your manual / how to set up / but it was quite a lot to read / so I realised I could instal via Softaculous (although this short cut may be the problem :slight_smile:

http://otmamto.com/wpmu/
    installed using Softaculous - named db wpud - multisite - latest WP 3.61 (maybe)
    tried to get to know the system / yours and WP
    installed "showcase" as you can see / but it's missing images1,2 ,3 etc. but they are in the images folder so we don't see the fx slicing as the images do not appear.

I installed WP a second time / with same result!

Loaded "yoko" / seemed to be ok / but I am not yet familiar with WP

I activated showcase via http://otmamto.com/wpmu/wp-admin/network/themes.php / I could NOT activate using wpmudev!!

Thank you !

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hello @johnjz

Thank for writing back.

installed using Softaculous - named db wpud - multisite - latest WP 3.61 (maybe)
    tried to get to know the system / yours and WP
    installed "showcase" as you can see / but it's missing images1,2 ,3 etc. but they are in the images folder so we don't see the fx slicing as the images do not appear.

Did you configure the theme yet ?

You need to configure the theme before you can achieve the desired looks.

Just look for a menu item named Showcase in your wordpress admin. Site.com/wp-admin and configure the options.

It will not automatically pickup the images.

Please advise if you have already done that.

Cheers, PC

• johnjz

no I haven't - didn't know I had to

can't find any configure ?

Showcase
    Network Enable | Edit

Showcase: Stylesheet (style.css)
    \
    "enable" "edit" :stylesheet"
    but no configure...

do I need to configure something in the CSS?

thanks!

• johnjz

okay , now it's working,
    why? I don't know.

http://otmamto.com/wpmu/wp-admin/customize.php
    Looked at Showcase/Customize/General - last entry / prompted me to upload a favicon, which I did, magic.

I uploaded a favicon and all of a sudden it worked. just a coincidence?

I didn't do anything else.

So I did not configure any images to appear, or fix a link, or change a colour... I did hit "save" - why I hit SAVE I don't know - I didn't change anything - except I uploaded a file.

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hello @johnjz

Greetings and thanks for posting on the forums.

falling between the cracks here - is anyone available to help?

You know the response will get delayed if you make multiple posts one after other on the same thread as it will refresh the timestamp on the feed and the post will go to the bottom resulting in us coming to the post late.

I deleted the Violets page - and made a new one called Flowers - same problemo!

I visited the site, and see the slideshow fine. Screenshot attached.

What are you trying to achieve ? You need a slideshow on the homepage and other pages ?

Please advise so that we can get this fixed.

Cheers, PC

• johnjz

You know the response will get delayed if you make multiple posts one after other on the same thread as it will refresh the timestamp on the feed and the post will go to the bottom resulting in us coming to the post late.

Thanks for the heads up, of course I didn't know. Wow, I was just trying to be helpful, by adding knowledge to the thread... my time of day is opposite to you, so I might post a message, but don't get an answer for many hours later, so I "add" further my progress, then go to sleep hoping to get a response in the morning, but I have plonked myself at the bottom of the list :slight_smile: ho ho.

On observation, the EDIT button , if it was always active, and I could edit without changing date stamp too of course - that would suit me. But the lesson is learn-t.

What are you trying to achieve ?
    I am only learning the system.

I have dabbled with WP in the past but always found simpler ways to build a web site - but simpler has its limitations and lead me back to WP as a platform that can deliver, and keep abreast of changes, and wpmudev is impressive, could be the right avenue for me.

So I am just learning WP and Multisite. I run many web sites now, but that is challenging without good tools, Multisite with WP looks like a viable solution.

My first challenge is to get to know your system, which is wpmudev Dashboard which is my interface with you guys, and WP is on my server wp-admin/ which is my interface with WP... (and both are called Dashboard) - again why use the same name? call your dashboard Ferrari :slight_smile:

I've installed WP twice. In both instances I've had difficulty in rendering the showcase theme.

Could the problem be "permissions" - permissions for themes folder is 755 rwxr-xr-x (with 7 selected out of 9) - but for the showcase folder and images folder NONE are selected and reads 000.

If the folder permissions are incorrect, then my installation wasn't right. I am interested to discover why. By having to go over and over the same thing teaches me, hopefully will provide a better foundation of understanding, as I'll need that if I am to feel confident.

Thanks for reading this far.

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hiya,

Thanks for the detailed info :slight_smile:

What are you trying to achieve ?
    I am only learning the system.

Well, then you are at the right place :slight_smile:

I have dabbled with WP in the past but always found simpler ways to build a web site - but simpler has its limitations and lead me back to WP as a platform that can deliver, and keep abreast of changes, and wpmudev is impressive, could be the right avenue for me.

Indeed. We have got a lot of plugins you can use to supercharge your website. All what you need is a proper planning and do one thing at a time.

So I am just learning WP and Multisite. I run many web sites now, but that is challenging without good tools, Multisite with WP looks like a viable solution.

Wanna learn more ? View the manuals : https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/

My first challenge is to get to know your system, which is wpmudev Dashboard which is my interface with you guys, and WP is on my server wp-admin/ which is my interface with WP... (and both are called Dashboard) - again why use the same name? call your dashboard Ferrari :slight_smile:

Lol, that is a nice idea :wink: Its just a normal plugin which acts like your own dashboard between your site and our system. Allowing you to create support tickets, download and update plugins. Pretty easy to use and if you get stuck, read more here : https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/wpmu-dev-dashboard#usage

I've installed WP twice. In both instances I've had difficulty in rendering the showcase theme.

Could the problem be "permissions" - permissions for themes folder is 755 rwxr-xr-x (with 7 selected out of 9) - but for the showcase folder and images folder NONE are selected and reads 000.

If the folder permissions are incorrect, then my installation wasn't right. I am interested to discover why. By having to go over and over the same thing teaches me, hopefully will provide a better foundation of understanding, as I'll need that if I am to feel confident.

It does not look correct to me. Can you change the permissions to 755 and see if that helps ?

How did you install the theme ? Using WPMU DEV Dashboard ?

Cheers, PC

• johnjz

WP installations were probably ok, but as soon as I uploaded a theme it collapsed since the permissions changed - for some reason my Coda 1.7 stuffed it up - so I used Fileziller to upload the WPMU DEV plugin and it worked!

Now I know about permissions and I've got to learn the system and meet the people :slight_smile:

Looking Forward.

Thank you!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.