Newbie help and advice

Hi Everyone, I joined wpmuudev a few days ago with a plan and have suddenly gone into panic and fear mode and feel completely lost. My goal is to set up a couple of content led community niche sites enabling users to set up their own sites around the niche to create a niche network. Before I signed up I read the support manuals and psek was recommended for hosting but when I've checked out the forum and searched the term 'hosting', I notice that people are using all sorts of hosting companies so I don't know what to do. I also don't know which theme to use.. Had a sudden loss of confidence and maybe just need some reassurance I'm on the right track. Any advice, suggestions would be welcome. Thanks Alison

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hello Alison,

Welcome to the Forums and thanks for being a WPMUDEV Member.

We are always here to assist you on any type of issues you might face. So chill on that :slight_smile:

Now moving on to the next part.

My goal is to set up a couple of content led community niche sites enabling users to set up their own sites around the niche to create a niche network

For that you will need to install wordpress multisite on your website. Instructions on which could be found here https://premium.wpmudev.org/wpmu-manual/creating-a-network-to-enable-wordpress-multisite/

Any support with that would certainly be guided through. I would suggest you to ensure that your wordpress is installed on a site without www. for ex. if you domain is http://www.abc.com, then install wordpress on abc.com (Without using www ) as it might complex things a bit later on. Also use the subdomain install instead of a subdirectory install as later on you might want to use domain mapping plugin for your users to map their domain to their blogs and subdirectory install is complex for that. So go for subdomain install

Once you have setup the multisite, comes the next part of installing the plugins (obviously not all of them, just install what you need to achieve your goal. Instructions for which will be in the above like as well as you read forward and any help would certainly be provided to you. We have plugins which will help you start a website from FAQ's to build a redefined marketplace

Before I signed up I read the support manuals and psek was recommended for hosting but when I've checked out the forum and searched the term 'hosting', I notice that people are using all sorts of hosting companies so I don't know what to do

You may use hosting as per your choice, preferably linux (I personally prefer that) and just ensure that your host supports wild card subdomains, as they play a crucial role in the sobdomain install and domain mapping and resolution. If you need more info on the hosting services you can e-mail me goobindia (at) gmail (dot) com

I also don't know which theme to use

Mostly all of our themes are multisite supported, so you may try out installing them and trying them out, to find which one will support your needs, the best. For any help in customizing the theme or setting theme options, we have created an exhaustive manual along with the themes, and if anything is not covered in that, we are here :slight_smile:

Had a sudden loss of confidence and maybe just need some reassurance I'm on the right track

Confidence matters ! Just do not lose it, remember, we are a family and we always support each other. You have come to the right place and will find your way :slight_smile:

Please let me know if you have more questions.

Cheers!
    PC
    http://www.goob.in

I research and try my best so that my responses are helpful. Appreciate a + if it is. If it's not, please let me know so that I study more before I write my exams here :slight_smile:.

• Arun Basil Lal
    • New Recruit

Hello Alison,

Welcome to the Forum! PC has given a lot of pointers I would love to add some to them.

Any linux host will do. I would recommend Host Gator ( http://www.hostgator.com/ for their flawless service) or wpEngine ( http://wpengine.com/ cuz they are just awesome). Haven't used pSek yet, but they should be great as well.

Stay away from Godaddy, Dreamhost and Site5, Blue Host. I have used all these 4 and wouldn't recommend them, esp Godaddy. "Friends don't let friends use Godaddy" :wink:

My goal is to set up a couple of content led community niche sites enabling users to set up their own sites around the niche to create a niche network

WordPress Multisite should be your friend here and we have all the tools you would ever need: https://premium.wpmudev.org/wpmu/

If you could explain more about your idea in mind, I could recommend some specific plugins.

Like PC said, we got your back :wink:

seriously.

• dunskii
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hi aliallsorts,
    Being one who basically 5h@7 himself when starting my multi-site endeavour and then being overwhelmed with the added possibilities found after signing up to wpmu, here's a couple of things I did that kept me a little sane.... "twitch twitch"

Write down every feature/function you want to have/offer, you'll find most are covered here.
    Do one task per day, no more no less, some may take an hour others will take 12
    Ask people you know what they think of have X feature on a web site, most of the time they'll like it and it'll give you a boost, if they don't, well what do they know anyways.
    Don't stop, I've spent a solid 5 months on my project and seeing it near to completion has been well worth the effort.

As for now marketing this bad boy I have NFI and am 5h17ting my self again, so I guess its a never ending cycle :wink:

BTW, there are some great themes at woothemes and press75 if nothing here takes your fancy, which are MS compatible too.

Good luck and have fun :slight_smile:

D

• davidloney
    • Flash Drive

When I first joined wpdev i went from being super excited to overwhelmed with all the options. Now that I had loads of plugins and themes to try out.

Once I started adding one plug in at a time and focusing on the next step it made it a lot easier.

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

@davidloney : Yes, that is the right way, we have to do it step by step. One thing at a time, some will take an hour to accomplish and a few might take days... but doing that one at a time, not only streamlines the things but also avoids confusions :slight_smile:

Cheers
    PC

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.