Newbie question

Maybe this has been answered but I do not need specifics. All I need is to know exactly all of the components I need to complete the following install.

Website is for Bikers

I want all the new bikers to be able to have their own blog space as a separate website from mine

None of them should be interacting with each other with the exception of on my site. For example to ask questions and spread out ideas and the like

Also I want the site to have several paid features.

Thank you. All I need is names of components and I will read on how to install and other things.

OOHHH also which WP theme will work best for me as a newbie?

Thanks again

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hiya,

Greetings and thanks for posting on the forums.

You will need WordPress multisite, with Prosites plugin.

Ultimate facebook plugin for facebook features which you can use network wide.

As far as themes are concerned, you can use Blogs MU to start with.

For questions, you can use Q&A plugin.

I hope that helps. Please feel free to ask if you have more questions.

Cheers, PC

• Juanporro
    • New Recruit

Got it., I ran into an issue with the multisite setup though. It held me from continuing the install of all else.

I followed instructions on WP.org to include adding the blogs.dir folder and permissions but for some reason I was unable to get out of the bind.

I will uninstall and install again and see if I can get somewhere with it.

If you have any suggestions please let me know.

• phillcoxon
    • The Crimson Coder

Hi Juanporro,

We’ll need a bit more information to determine why the multi-site install didn’t work.

Did you get a specific error message?

Are you able to copy and paste the contents of your wp-config.php and .htaccess file here so we can have a look? When you do so, please delete your database name and password and the AUTH keys as we don’t need to see those and it’s a good idea not to post those publically.

• Juanporro
    • New Recruit

Well, I misspoke. The multisite does work. I get all the features of the multisite in my network.

The problem is when I try to access the test site.

For example multisite domain is domain.nnn

test site is

test.domain.nnn

when I access the test site I get the default page from my host provider.

I am not sure why.

Can you help?

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hiya,

The most common reason is incorrectly setup wild card dns.

If you have setup a wildcard dns, please make sure its setup properly, if you haven’t then please set one up to get it working.

Here is a post to help you in case you are using cpanel : https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/how-to-fix-dns-issue-on-subdomain-blogs-in-wpmu-especially-in-cpanel-without-using-wildcard-dns

Please feel free to ask if you have more questions and I would be around.

Cheers, PC

• aristath
    • Recruit

The original poster of this issue is no longer an active member on these forums.

I am marking this issue as resolved.

If however at some time the member becomes active again and the issue still exists, don’t hesitate to reopen it and post an update on your current status.

Cheers!

Ari.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.