Newcomer to WPMU - Can't edit themes?

Hello all. I decided to take the plunge and install a WPMU site. I develop WP themes for clients and usually will make a test site on a subdomain on my VPS so the client can view it, play with it, etc... before the site is done and goes live. Now I have a lot of subdomains with multiple logins etc...I thought combining those sites in WPMU would give me the ability to maintain them better and keep them under one login.

I just finished installing WPMU tonight using the subdomain feature. I made a site and went to start editing a child theme and I can't find anywhere to FTP into the site to edit the theme. Should I have used the subfolder instead of the subdomain option? Or am I just missing something?

I can use the theme editor but that's not efficient in my workflow.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks!

• aecnu

Greetings zigbaird,

Welcome to WPMU Dev!

I thought combining those sites in WPMU would give me the ability to maintain them better and keep them under one login.

You are spot on allowing you to better manage your WordPress network to not only include the single logon as network admin but in addition allowing much simpler updating.

I just finished installing WPMU tonight using the subdomain feature. I made a site and went to start editing a child theme and I can't find anywhere to FTP into the site to edit the theme. Should I have used the subfolder instead of the subdomain option?

I personally prefer the sub domain install myself, but I think the solution here is in concept of how it works regardless of sub directory or sub domain install, the way it works is basically the same.

The idea behind WordPress MultiSite is that all sub sites are drawing off the same files regardless of the format, sub domain or sub directory. This saves a great deal in server space and makes it much easier to update one set of files instead of the need to log into several WordPress installs and go through the pain of updating/upgrading.

With this in mind all sites draw on the themes installed in the wp-content --> themes --> theme title. This is where you need to FTP into to modify a theme, however it will modify the theme for ALL sites within the network.

If you want to modify a theme to be presented in a custom way for a single web site, the best practice is to copy the theme with a little modification to the theme folder title, modifying it as you see fit and activating it for just the specific site you have in mind.

Otherwise as mentioned above modifying one theme directly modifies it for the whole network.

Does this help clarify how to modify the themes for you and how it all works together?

Cheers, Joe :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.