Next event countdown not counting and cant control design

The Next Event Countdown on the Home Page sidebar doesn't countdown and I can't control the size or design of the counter.

• Vinod Dalvi
    • WP Unicorn

Hi @PaddyJames,

I hope you are well today and thank you for your question.

It seems there's probably a javascript issue on the page that prevents it from functioning properly. It is also reported here https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/live-next-event-countdown-on-event-plugin-not-just-static-countdown

I have notified this to the developer so that he will look in to it and will help you to fix it.

Currently there isn't any option to control size or design of the counter but you can change it by creating CSS code and adding it using this plugin size or design of the counter.

Cheers.

• Vladislav
    • Dead Eye Dev

Hello,

As for the countdown not counting, can you please check the attached Beta update and see if it helps with the issue? As for the design, we have two preset types - plain and flip. You can choose the flip type sprite size, the supported values are 70, 82, 127 and 254 (with 70 being the default). If you need a smaller size, perhaps a good way out might be to opt for the plain version and control the appearance via CSS.

• Vinod Dalvi
    • WP Unicorn

Hi @PaddyJames,

You can just deactivate the Events+ Plugin and upload this new plugin by renaming plugin folder name something like events-and-bookings- beta.

You will not lose your settings as this new version doesn't contain that much changes which affects database schema but as a safe side you can test it on test site other than development site.

Best Regards,

• PaddyJames
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Hi Guys,

Something strange also happens with the formatting in the widget sidebar.

It's ok on the Welcome page in teh sidebar, but then if you click on, say, the About RA page the formatting is lost.

Any ideas???

@PaddyJames

• Vladislav
    • Dead Eye Dev

Hello,

Thank you for the feedback, I'm happy the update solved it for you, @PaddyJames! @Vinod Dalvi, you probably had an older script version already cached in-browser and the updated one didn't take.

As for the issue with the About RA page, I think I have an idea what's going on - the plugin loaded the script just fine, but the default countdown styles didn't take. That's because the plugin checked the actual page text for the shortcode and, not finding it, didn't enqueue the styles. This is, of course, a problem with this add-on, as just checking the current post content is a simplistic approach and that's what's causing the problem with About RA page (seeing as how the shortcode is actually in the widget). I'll update the thread with the fix hopefully very soon.

• Vladislav
    • Dead Eye Dev

Hello,

The attached Beta update should be taking care of the issue with styles not being included on your pages with widget alone. Can you please give it a go and see if it helps?

As for the stylesheet, the basic styles for the countdown shortcode are in the css/jquery.countdown.css file - please, note that these are the bare-bones styles. If you plan on changing them, I suggest you follow @Vinod Dalvi's advice rather than editing the file directly, as you'll lose the direct edits any time you update your plugin.

• Vladislav
    • Dead Eye Dev

Hello,

@Vinod Dalvi, thanks for confirming that the fix worked. Obviously, the flip type won't fit in your sidebar, being optimised for much larger sizes (the minimum block size is ~70px, times the number of panes) but, other then this, the styles seem to be in place. A quick note, if you do intend to have a flip-type countdown in a smaller space, you may want to scale it down with a bit of custom CSS, e.g. like this:

.countdown_amount {
    transform: scale(.5,.5);
    -ms-transform: scale(.5,.5);
    -webkit-transform: scale(.5,.5);
    }

This will just scale the number panes, so you'll also possibly want to scale down the container element with something like a min-width statement too.

As for the multiple countdowns on a page, you need to also pass the "id" shortcode argument to each one. The "id" argument is optional for the shortcode, but if there's a chance of having multiple countdowns on your page, they become pretty much mandatory, as that's what's used to differentiate between them. The "id" value could be any alphanumeric value, and they should ideally be relatively unique. For an example:

[next_event_countdown id="mycountdown" type="flip"]

• Vladislav
    • Dead Eye Dev

Hi,

Thank you very much for your patience, persistence and awesome feedback with this issue. The fix is staged to be included with the next proper release and, by then, I'll see to add a bit of scaling to the shortcode, so we can handle the flip rendering in smaller spaces too.

• PaddyJames

Vlad,

I'm having problems with the [next_event_countdown] extra to the Events+ plugin again.

The code has remained the same, then one day I noticed it didn't work, mainly because there was no future event, so I put in the next event and it still didn't work.

I have now updated the Events+ from the 1.7.2.Beta5 to the 1.7.5 latest version. Still no luck.

However if I use the [event_countdown] and specify the event_id it works, mostly, as it loses formatting on all pages apart from the Home page.

Here is the website URL (still in development - client slow): http://vip.net.au/~rideadve

At the moment it is using [next_event_countdown] in the main area and [event_countdown] in the widget area.

You will be able to see when the Upcoming Ride is, which is the next event.

Here is the code I'm using in the main area of the Home page:

[next_event_countdown id="1" format="dHMS" goto="#" type="plain" class="countdown-class" size="70" add="-120" expired="Too late!" title="yes"]

and the widget area in the right sidebar:

[event_countdown id="2" event_id="248" format="dHMS" goto="#" type="plain" class="countdown-class" size="70" add="-120" expired="Too late!" title="yes"]

Attached is also a screen shot of the Home page main area issue ans also showing the [event_countdown] working in the sidebar.

Also attached is the [event_countdown] with formatting issues on all other pages.

I hope you can help.

PJ

• Vladislav
    • Dead Eye Dev

Hello,

The problem with using the event_countdown shortcode in the widget is that it was originally explicitly made to work with posts. If used in other manner - say, a sidebar, like in your case, it won't load the required stylesheet and hence the issue you experienced. This will be solved in the very next release, but in the meanwhile, there's a workaround for the issue that might help you right now: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/event-countdown-display-in-strange-format#post-702607

• PaddyJames

Vlad,

Thanks for that feedback, but that issue is the second of the problems I have.

The Primary issue is that the [next_event_countdown] doesn't work at all.

I had to use [event_countdown] in the sidebar for it to even show up.

Please re-read my post above along with the attached images.

PJ

• Vinod Dalvi
    • WP Unicorn

Hi PJ,

I could reproduce the issue on my test site using the shortcode [next_event_countdown] and following configurations. The shortcode [next_event_countdown] is not working at all.

Latest version of Events + plugin
    Single WordPress site version 3.9.1
    Default WordPress Twenty twelve Theme

I troubleshooted and found the following statement on line number 202 in the below Events + plugin file is not returning correct upcoming events.

Events + plugin file:
    events-and-bookings\lib\plugins\eab-events-countdown-for-next-event.php

Code:
    $events = Eab_CollectionFactory::get_upcoming_events($now, $query);

I have notified the plugin developer about it so that it can be fixed.

Cheers,
    Vinod Dalvi

• Hoang Ngo
    • Code Slayer

Hi @PaddyJames,

I hope you are well today

I can make the shortcode [next_event_countdown] work in my test site, the reason why it not work on your side is various, if possible, I want to check your config. Can you please send in:

- Mark to my attention - ATTN: Hoang Ngo
    - Link back to this thread
    - Include admin/network access
    - Include FTP (Just for If I needed to update the plugins)
    - Include any relevant URLS for your site

On the contact form, select "I have a different question", this ensures it comes through and gets assigned to me.

Thanks

Best regards,
    Hoang

• Hoang Ngo
    • Code Slayer

Hi @PaddyJames

I hope you are well today and I'm sorry for the delay.

I have update the fix to file /events-and-bookings/lib/plugins/eab-events-countdown-for-next-event.php

Basically, this issue mostly relate to html element id conflict. At line 174
    $id = str_replace(array(" ","'",'"'), "", $args['id']); // We cannot let spaces and quotes in id
    I updated this to

$id = str_replace(array(" ","'",'"'), "", $args['id']); // We cannot let spaces and quotes in id
    		if(empty($id)){
    			$id = uniqid();
    		}

So this will prevent when many shortcode place on 1 page, this will create unique id for each elements, which will fix the conflict.

I'm going to notice the developer about this too, so in final release, he can consider a better way to update this :slight_smile:

If you have any issues please don't hesitate to let us know so we can assist

Best regards,
    Hoang

• Hoang Ngo
    • Code Slayer

@PaddyJames,

I guess you've just update the shortcode on homepage, right? As it working for me in last hour.

Also, that seem the id "1" is take over by another element, which causing conflict. Please update another id example "next_count_down_home_page", and let see if it work.

Thanks

Best regards,
    Hoang

• PaddyJames

Hoang,

I've now put all three pieces of code in the Welcome page with

This one to use event_countdown with event_id for that one event

[event_countdown id="2" event_id="248" format="dHMS" goto="#" type="plain" height="98" size="100" add="-120" expired="Too late!" title="yes"]

This one should work by default
    [next_event_countdown]

This one was working before some of Vlad's upgrades in beta 5+
    [next_event_countdown id="1" format="dHMS" goto="#" type="plain" class="countdown-class" size="70" add="-120" expired="Too late!" title="yes"]

PJ

• PaddyJames

Hoang,

I just changed it to this:

[event_countdown id="3" event_id="248" format="dHMS" goto="#" type="plain" height="98" size="100" add="-120" expired="Too late!" title="yes"]

[next_event_countdown]
    [next_event_countdown id="5" format="dHMS" goto="#" type="plain" class="countdown-class" size="70" add="-120" expired="Too late!" title="yes"]

Note the id=5

PJ

• Hoang Ngo
    • Code Slayer

@PaddyJames,

For now, please remove both of the events plugin on your plugins directory. And use the newest stable (Download it from wpmudev.org) instead of the beta version.

And then, copy the add-on events /events-and-bookings/lib/plugins/eab-events-countdown-for-next-event.php from the beta plugin, to same folder as the stable plugin. This will have minimal impact to other functions of the plugin, and since we only need to display the countdown.

Remember the "id" attribute of the shortcode is for element Id, not reflect to database. So you can do anything id, just make sure no space in there.

Best regards,
    Hoang

• PaddyJames

Hoang,

I've just left this shortcode in teh Welcome page:

[next_event_countdown id="5" format="dHMS" goto="#" type="plain" class="countdown-class" size="70" add="-120" expired="Too late!" title="yes"]

I also don't know what you are talking about is regards to spaces in the id.

My shortcode has never had spaces in the id="5" field.

PJ

• PaddyJames

Support,

Seems like no-one wants to continue or provide appropriate support on this plugin, which I pay good money for as part of my yearly subscription.

I have serached and found other Events plugins with PayPal and Manual payments that are free if I need to now breakaway from WPMU, who I believed were providing premium, tested and supported plugins and themes.

PJ

• PaddyJames

Support, Staff and Developer,
    @Vinod Dalvi
    @Hoang Ngo
    @Vladislav

It's been another 4 days without any response to fixing the issues plaguing me with the Events+ plugin.

The part in this thread for the Next Event Countdown, even though non-critical is an advertised feature that was working once upon a time with some custom coding by the developer Vlad, but didn't carry across into the released stable??? version.

This is not the only issue I'm having and it seems that as one issue is fixed another problem occurs, stopping the website from launching as they are critical to the operation of being able to book and pay for events.

I would like this and the other issues fixed ... please.

PJ

• Vaughan
    • Support/SLS MockingJay

Hi @PaddyJames,

From Hoangs last post, he said to install the latest stable release which is version 1.7.5

Then copy the add-on events /events-and-bookings/lib/plugins/eab-events-countdown-for-next-event.php from the beta plugin, to same folder as the stable plugin.

So you need to copy the file /lib/plugins/eab-events-countdown-for-next-event.php

From the beta version plugin you had, to the new 1.7.5 plugin you currently use.

Hope this helps

• PaddyJames

Vaughan,

I have now copied the old beta code into the website and still nothing happens as before.

Here is the next events shortcode that is on the Welcome page.
    [next_event_countdown id="2" format="dHMS" goto="#" type="plain" class="countdown-class" size="70" add="-120" expired="Too late!" title="yes"]

This does not show the next event countdown.

PJ

• Vladislav
    • Dead Eye Dev

Hello,

With the events that are further than one month away, the attached update provides additional "weeks" parameter to "next_event_countdown" shortcode, to allow peeking into the future further than one month. It can be used like this:

[next_event_countdown weeks="48"]

This will expand the search to look for events that are up to 48 weeks into the future. Additionally, if you have more than one countdowns on page (either next_event_countdown or event_countdown, they share the same functionality), you will need to provide different IDs for each of them to prevent them from conflicting with each other. Can you please give this a go and see if it helps?

• Vinod Dalvi
    • WP Unicorn

Hi @PaddyJames,

Could you please confirm whether the beta version provided by @Vladislav in his following reply works for you or not?

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/next-event-countdown-not-counting-and-cant-control-design?replies=53#post-724231

Don't forget to use weeks argument of next_event_countdown shortcode for events that are further than one month away and use different IDs for each of the event countdown shortcodes if you use more than one countdowns on page.

Best Regards,
    Vinod Dalvi

• PaddyJames

Vinod,

When you say you tested it and it's working fine, which page of my website did you test it on?

I have tried it on the Welcome page but it still does not show up.

[next_event_countdown id="3" weeks="48"]

I have the latest stable version installed with the suggested beta /lib/plugins/eab-events-countdown-for-next-event.php file copied in.

Regards,
    Patrick

• PaddyJames

Hi Vaughan,

I missed that. Vinod referred to a beta which I had tested, but I didn't notice that there was another beta. If people refer to beta's or live stable versions they should always put the version number, so that we all know which version we are referring to.

This beta 1.7.6 beta3, does seem to fix the next_event_countdown, but does not fix the other issue I'm having regarding payments in this thread:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/manual-payments-button-works-but-how-do-i-applyapprove-payment-when-its-paid#post-722460

PJ

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.