Next Step + a few others

hi all,

so I got the new version of Easy Blogging today, set up the wizard set up.

Now it seems if you save a change it doesn't go back to the beginning (this is good) also you can do store settings without it going back to the beginning (this is good)

but after you press next step, it goes back to the beginning step 1 again :slight_frown:

also having some complaints that on some broswers it has a side scroll bar which they couldn't see in an obvious way

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

I was hiding. lol

any chance we can get some video tutorials for the easy blogging? Or is this something we should do ourselves?

Its not something we currently provide, but I could see this happening with a enough member demand. :wink:

also having some complaints that on some broswers it has a side scroll bar which they couldn't see in an obvious way

Which browsers? Which versions?

My money is on IE. lol

but after you press next step, it goes back to the beginning step 1 again :slight_frown:

I see what you mean here. Let me ask Ve our developer to see if he is aware of this and what expected behaviour was planned.

Thanks

• Vladislav
    • Dead Eye Dev

Hello,

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to reproduce the first two issues. After publishing a post, custom post type or a page the "next step" link seemed to work fine for me, in IE, FF and Chrome. Is there perhaps a link to a specific menu item that makes this issue happen?

As for the scroll bars, if you have the "Scrollable menu" add-on activated, it will show a vertical scroll bar on your menu on mouse over if the menu can't fit in the browser window. This should happen in all browsers, including IE. Or is it perhaps that the whole page has some sort of horizontal scroll? If this is the case, can you please check on which page this happens? Also, does that happen on a specific screen resolution?

Lastly, it seems there's some sort of CSS conflict on the epanel page. What is the particular theme that causes this issue? Also, have you noticed any javascript errors on that page? You can check your javascript console for that (Ctrl+Shift+J in FF/Chrome, F12 in IE, "Console" tab).

• bonmaklad
    • The Crimson Coder

Hi,

it seems tobe all elegant themes themes. :slight_frown: I only have them as my theme of choice lol

yeah (Timothy is correct) the main aspects are when you choose a theme, or in store settings. (could be more)

so I assume it's when you leave the exact location it looses track kinda thing

• Vladislav
    • Dead Eye Dev

Hello,

Thank you very much for the additional info. As for the first issue (wizard losing track of the currently active item), can you please check the attached update and see if it solves it for you? Note, I didn't include all the themes in the attached update, to reduce the download size, but you can just unzip it and upload over your existing plugin files.

As for the Elegant themes issue, I'll have to get my hands on one of those (or another theme that uses the same or similar panel) to check what exactly might be the issue. In the meanwhile, can you please tell me if you noticed any javascript errors on that page? You can check your javascript console for that (Ctrl+Shift+J in FF/Chrome, F12 in IE, "Console" tab).

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

and out of interest any way of ensuring that options don't appear if the plugin isn't active on their account?

How do you mean?

The plugin is network activated so it's on all sites.

I've ping Ve again and sent over a couple of of Elegant Themes to see if he can see the issue :slight_smile:

Take care.

• bonmaklad
    • The Crimson Coder

thanks for that m8, we went live today but I have told the new customers hang on haha

as in, if you don't have a plugin products, then i wish I could integrate it with pro sites but It's only good for members.

also wish we could force first time log ins to go straight to wizard :slight_smile:

need to design a crap load of child themes for framemarket as well. Man this is going to be a busy year. marketpress, doesn't really work well with elegant themes.

• Vladislav
    • Dead Eye Dev

Thanks for all the help! There was a CSS conflict with ePanel, which should hopefully be fixed with the attached update. Also, the marketpress store settings saving/tab switching shouldn't be triggering the old issue of page reloading. Can you please give it a go and see if it's working well for you too?

• bonmaklad
    • The Crimson Coder

yes looks like it is working beautifully :slight_smile:

any chance of the menu items relating back to wordpress in the near future? I.E if you can't see products in the advanced mode you can't see the menu item in the easy mode.

other then that, I am happy as a bunny :slight_smile:

• Vladislav
    • Dead Eye Dev

Hi,

If you're using the "Manage menu items" add-on, you can fine-tune the access rights for your menu links, so they don't show up for all users. I'm also seeing the contextual help issue, but I haven't had it happening on other pages. I'll check both plugins to make sure this is resolved as well.

• bonmaklad
    • The Crimson Coder

Hey,

I know you can edit it via different memberships but if your using pro sites it doesn't work :slight_frown:

wouldn't it be cool to alsign it into wordpress? so if the plugin isn't active on an account it doesnt show?

why I ask is all my customers are allowed to have facebook and event planning. but 99% are not going to need it. So I haven't put a link to it on their easy panel.

but...

if they do need it I would have to give everyone access to it.

Ohhh unless I create multiple variations of the memberships one for every extra kinda thing hmm that'll be annoying.

I would prefer to just activate the plugin on their site for them and it just appear on their easy panel

• bonmaklad
    • The Crimson Coder

bugger I just realised as well. all elegant thems require this to get to theme options

/themes.php?page=core_functions.php

which is ok because that is how I set it, but I have gridmarket as a theme as well and that requires

/themes.php?page=theme_options

how do I make them the same if not go from one to the other based on theme choice. wow this is going to be annoying

• Vladislav
    • Dead Eye Dev

Hi,

If you'll be looking at some custom code to help you with conditionally setting the proper settings link etc, perhaps it would be worth knowing that you can actually extend and change your Easy Blogging menu relatively easily. You can do so by hooking your code to "wdeb_menu_items" filter, which is passed the entire menu as an array. Here's the minimal implementation, that will add a link to your menu:

function my_function_add_my_custom_page ($items) {
    	$items[] = array (
    		'check_callback' => false, // Custom callback function for access checking.
    		'capability' => 'read_posts', // User capability needed to access this page. Can be set to "false".
    		'url' => site_url('/contact'), // The path to your page
    		'icon' => 'http://myhost.com/path-to-my/icon.png', // Full URL to your icon
    		'title' => 'Contact', // Your link text
    		'help' => 'Contact us', // A short help string for your link
    	);
    	return $items;
    }
    add_filter('wdeb_menu_items', 'my_function_add_my_custom_page');

Hopefully this can get you or your developer started.

• Vladislav
    • Dead Eye Dev

Hi,

If you're not into making a plugin on your own, you can just place pieces of code like this in .php files in your wp-content/mu-plugins directory (don't forget to start those files with "<?php", though).

Just to make sure we're on the same page, the code I posted above is just a little bit more than dummy code - it will add an item to your Easy Blogging menu, but that menu item will be pretty much useless. It was just an illustrative example on how you can manipulate the menu items array - you can just as easily remove items from it, or re-arrange it.

• bonmaklad
    • The Crimson Coder

sorry vebailoviy,

I tried to follow, I created the php file called it example but I don't think you mean you can just place it in a folder and it'll work do you?

I did create a mu-plugins folder and placed it in there, but it crashed everything haha!

• bonmaklad
    • The Crimson Coder

although I do reconise that code from the php file named class_wdeb_admin_pages.php

so what I need is:

'check_callback' => false, // Custom callback function for access checking.

I need check_callback to be linked to their plugins access. for instance if they have access to a plugin it'll appear, if they don't have access to a plugin... it wont' appear.

and I guess I need the same similar callback for if they are using a specific theme?

wow ok this will be interesting. Any idea how I create this custom callback function? also how do I place it in and then link it all together LOL ummm

or can you give me a quote to do everything and then let me download ShopEzyEasyMode :slight_smile:

• bonmaklad
    • The Crimson Coder

omg that is preety cool

I put it in as a plugin and then activate the plugin and voila it appears on my easy panel

ok

interesting

so I can manually add plugins and then instead of network activating, I could specifically activate it per account

• bonmaklad
    • The Crimson Coder

ok, I am liking this. So what I will do is create specific plugins for specific aspects for people if they require it
    then I will activate it on their account. Saves everyone else from getting all the options when they don't need it.

so only the option of theme options. I guess the best option would be to hook it based on permissions. but I just tried that, it didn't like it :slight_smile:

so... might just need to keep it in the back pocket as a plugin.

so if someone chooses a theme that is not an elegant theme (which is just grid market at the moment) then I will disable theme options and allow the plugin theme options.

not very professional but it's a fix up for the moment

• Vladislav
    • Dead Eye Dev

Hi,

The thing about mu-plugins is that you can have as many of them as you want, but you have no control over how and when they're active - because they're *always* active. A good solution here would be to check for conditions in your mu-plugin code, and branch out accordingly.

Another good approach might be to make use of the "check_callback" parameter, as you noticed yourself. This parameter is actually a standard PHP callback - a function name that is expected to return true or false - if it returns true, the menu item will be shown, otherwise it won't be.

• bonmaklad
    • The Crimson Coder

hmm I think I understand. I started off with this:

'check_callback' => is_plugin_active('directory/loader.php'), /

to test if a plugin was active then allow it to show.

but it seems that it always seems to be active lol so hmm need to figure out how to not show if the plugin is not active for each account

• Vladislav
    • Dead Eye Dev

Hello,

The thing about callbacks is that you really want them wrapped in a function, which you can then pass to the array. Of course, you can also just create the function you need on the fly. As most other things, it sounds more complicated then it actually is :slight_smile: E.g. you could do this:

function my_loader_plugin_is_active () {
        return is_plugin_active('directory/loader.php');
    }

Then, you could use that function as your callback, like this:

// ...
    "check_callback" => "my_loader_plugin_is_active",
    // ...
  • Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

Thats great news, how totally awesome is Ve!! I think he needs a superhero type nickname here! :slight_smile:

Sure thing about sharing, if you wish to share then I'm sure other members may find a use for it. :slight_smile:

Please upload as a zip file. If you have any issues then please lt me know.

I'll mark this one as resolved for now. :slight_smile:

Take care

• bonmaklad
    • The Crimson Coder

ok well at least I now feel that I am contributing a little :slight_smile:

so the plugin will show the menus (no pictures) if the plugin is active for the following.

- Directory plugin
    - Classified plugin
    - Fundraising plugin
    - Pay Per View plugin
    - Forums plugin
    - Event+ plugin

All WPMUDEV plugins, so hopefully this helps someone else.

• Vladislav
    • Dead Eye Dev

Hi,

Of course, PHP has "if" branching, although I guess it looks a bit different than in VB:

if (MY_CONDITION) {
        // ... MY_CONDITION is true
    } else {
        // ... MY_CONDITION is false
    }

... where MY_CONDITION could be a variable or an expression (e.g. a function call). If you want, you can find more details here: http://www.php.net/manual/en/control-structures.if.php or here: http://www.php.net/manual/en/control-structures.else.php

• bonmaklad
    • The Crimson Coder

so I had a good go at testing this.

it seems all the links and the code only relates to the main blog not any sub blogs. :slight_frown:

was kinda hoping, it would work network wide dependent on their active plugins.

you know all the work we have done here, could just be copied into a new release of easy blogging, so it works with pro site :slight_smile:

• bonmaklad
    • The Crimson Coder

haha you know me Timothy, always needing extra help :slight_smile:

I testing, all works fine whoohoooo

next problem.

on easy mode panel to set up theme options, you cant' just have "theme options" if you use a theme that has some sort of panel.

so trying to work out the code to do:

if marketpress is active (I know it's a parent theme... annoying)

then show this

if not then show that

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

haha you know me Timothy, always needing extra help :slight_smile:

Should I have gone into hiding rather than posting? ha ha

Anywhoo... I'm not sure I follow your last post entirely.

Are you wanting it so menu items only show if a plugin is active?

If so then its not possible right now but I think that would be a cool feature we could nag Ve about?

Maybe also have it so that menu items could be limited by Pro Sites as well. :slight_smile:

Take care.

• bonmaklad
    • The Crimson Coder

well I have done this so far. I know get_template brings back the parent theme. What I want is, if my clients choose a marketpress theme (I have 10 being produced at the moment)

then show a link with "this"

if it doesn't then show a link with "this"

$theme = get_template()

if ($theme = 'marketpress') {

function my_function_add_my_custom_page10 ($items) {
    	$items[] = array (
    		'check_callback' => "", // Custom callback function for access checking.
    		'capability' => 'read_posts', // User capability needed to access this page. Can be set to "false".
    		'url' => ('themes.php?page=core_functions.php'), // The path to your page
    		'icon' => '', // Full URL to your icon
    		'title' => 'Theme Options', // Your link text
    		'help' => 'Change your themes options', // A short help string for your link
    	);
    	return $items;
    }
    add_filter('wdeb_menu_items', 'my_function_add_my_custom_page10');

} else  {
    function my_function_add_my_custom_page11 ($items) {
    	$items[] = array (
    		'check_callback' => "", // Custom callback function for access checking.
    		'url' => ('themes.php?page=theme_options'), // The path to your page
    	);
    	return $items;
    }
    add_filter('wdeb_menu_items', 'my_function_add_my_custom_page11');

}
    ///
  • bonmaklad
    • The Crimson Coder

well in theory what we have been doing here, the code above would work.

you could also create an array I guess of all the plugins and let the admin "select" them to show kinda thing.

I recon Ve could do all this in a day :wink:

but for now people could use this code to select a specific menu item like me.

the attached you posted allows the majority of the plugins WPMUDEV does and now I just added in products and store settings.

I am not trying to distinguish between elegant themes theme options and marketpress.

• bonmaklad
    • The Crimson Coder

ahh ok did it the other way round. this will then show the menu if a child theme is in use.

so now how do I say if NOT child theme lol hmmm

function my_loader_plugin_is_active11() {
        return is_child_theme();
    }

function my_function_add_my_custom_page11 ($items) {
    	$items[] = array (
    		'check_callback' => "my_loader_plugin_is_active11", // Custom callback function for access checking.
    		'url' => ('themes.php?page=theme_options'), // The path to your page
    	);
    	return $items;
    }
    add_filter('wdeb_menu_items', 'my_function_add_my_custom_page11');
  • WACKA
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Just an FYI, I had the css conflict too with the elegant themes epanel.

I used the updated zip file in this thread and it seems to have worked well.
    I assume this fix will be incorporated into the next release of the plugin?

Many, many thanks,

Conor

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.