No admin menu for Coursepress Pro on Multisite

I had found this post; https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/coursepress-pro-administration-not-appearing-for-multisite ...but 2 years down the road I am having the same issue but nothing that was said in that post works for me. In summary:

I have a WP multisite with 2 blogs. On Firefox:
1. Installed Coursepress PRO and network activated it. But no admin menu.
2. Deactivated ALL plugins, network activated Coursepress Pro, but no admin menu.
3. Reinstalled Wordpress. No change.
4. Network deactivated Coursepress Pro and activated on one of the blogs. Still no admin menu.
5. Tried everything on Chrome but also no admin menu.

I should add that I had converted the main site from single site to multisite. On the single site I had also installed CPPro and it worked well.

My inkling is, that there are some 'remnants' of the previous installation in the database which cause all this; but where to look??

Now I am lost and need help.

(Note: I have grated you support access to the site)

• Predrag Dubajic

Hey Chris,

Hope you're doing well today :slight_smile:

The thread you linked above looks like a different issue where only super-admins could access the course panel while this is not the case for your problem, also there were a lot of changes in CoursePress plugin in last two years, especially with 2.0 release so these two issues are most likely not related.

I should add that I had converted the main site from single site to multisite. On the single site I had also installed CPPro and it worked well.

I haven't heard this causing issues with CP before but it might be worth investigating so I would appreciate some more info about this switch.
    Did you had CP on single site before and then switched to multisite installation, or did you remove the plugin, switched to multisite and then installed it again?

Did you check that you have correct content from http://yourdomain.com/wp-admin/network/setup.php inside your wp-config.php and .htaccess files?

Looking forward to your response.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Chris

Hi. Yes, I had installed CP on the single site and - as far as I remember - had deactivated (but not deleted) it prior to switching to multisite.

As regards the content from setup.php: 1. Pls note that the sidebar admin menu does work; only the specific CP menu does not. 2. It's news to me that the content of setup.php must be repeated in wp-config and htaccess...

Here's the content of my htaccess file:
    # BEGIN WordPress
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]

# add a trailing slash to /wp-admin
    RewriteRule ^wp-admin$ wp-admin/ [R=301,L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
    RewriteRule ^ - [L]
    RewriteRule ^(wp-(content|admin|includes).*) $1 [L]
    RewriteRule ^(.*\.php)$ $1 [L]
    RewriteRule . index.php [L]

# END WordPress

. and here of my wp-config (deleted usernames and passwords):

<?php
    /**
    * The base configurations of the WordPress.
    * @package WordPress
    */
    // ** MySQL settings - You can get this info from your web host ** //
    /** Memory Limit */
    define('WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M');

/** The name of the database for WordPress */
    define('DB_NAME', 'XXXXXX');

/** MySQL database username */
    define('DB_USER', 'XXXXXX');

/** MySQL database password */
    define('DB_PASSWORD', 'XXXXXX');

/** MySQL hostname */
    define('DB_HOST', 'localhost');

/** Database Charset to use in creating database tables. */
    define('DB_CHARSET', 'utf8');

/** The Database Collate type. Don't change this if in doubt. */
    define('DB_COLLATE', '');

/*DOMAIN MAPPING*/
    //define( 'SUNRISE', 'on' )

/**#@+
    * Authentication Unique Keys and Salts.
    * Change these to different unique phrases!
    * You can generate these using the {obito https://api.wordpress.org/secret-key/1.1/salt/ WordPress.org secret-key service}
    * You can change these at any point in time to invalidate all existing cookies. This will force all users to have to log in again.
    * @since 2.6.0
    */

/**#@-*/

/**
    * WordPress Database Table prefix.
    * You can have multiple installations in one database if you give each a unique
    * prefix. Only numbers, letters, and underscores please!
    */
    $table_prefix = 'xx_';
    define( 'DISALLOW_FILE_EDIT', true );

/**
    * WordPress Localized Language, defaults to English.
    * Change this to localize WordPress. A corresponding MO file for the chosen
    * language must be installed to wp-content/languages. For example, install
    * de_DE.mo to wp-content/languages and set WPLANG to 'de_DE' to enable German
    * language support.
    */
    define('WPLANG', '');

/**
    * For developers: WordPress debugging mode.
    * Change this to true to enable the display of notices during development.
    * It is strongly recommended that plugin and theme developers use WP_DEBUG
    * in their development environments.
    */
    define('WP_DEBUG', false);

/* Multisite */
    define('MULTISITE', true);
    define('SUBDOMAIN_INSTALL', true);
    define('DOMAIN_CURRENT_SITE', '[mydomain.com]');
    define('PATH_CURRENT_SITE', '/');
    define('SITE_ID_CURRENT_SITE', 1);
    define('BLOG_ID_CURRENT_SITE', 1);

/* That's all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */

/** Absolute path to the WordPress directory. */
    if ( !defined('ABSPATH') )
    define('ABSPATH', dirname(__FILE__) . '/');

/** Sets up WordPress vars and included files. */
    require_once(ABSPATH . 'wp-settings.php');

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the additional info, everything looks good there and I just tested switching from Single to Multisite when I had CP already installed on single site but I was unable to replicate the issue so it doesn't seem like that's the cause.

Could you try removing "coursepress_settings" from "wp_options" table in your DB and re-activate the plugin again after that to see if it will show up after that?

Please make sure you have a backup of your DB ready before making any changes.

Let us know how it goes.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Chris

Hi, I am afraid this issue is symptomatic for the majority of your plugins :slight_frown:. Just too cumbersome to install, get it to work and then to troubleshoot... I don't have the time to spend days to get something to work while my client is pushing.

Hence, instead of trying this that and the other, I deleted the entire multisite including the db and rebuilt it without CP. Then, I reinstalled CP and the link in the admin menu of my blog appeared correctly. So all seemed well....

(Maybe this should go into another thread?): Then, I set up my course and saved every step. But when I went back to edit the course - it was gone. Nothing was saved. I read on another forum that there is a bug that, unless you switched the course to 'live', it won't save. Is that so?

Anyway, this is just another WPMUDEV plugin to give me nothing but headaches... :slight_frown:

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Chris!

Thank you for letting us know how you dealt with that. I'm really sorry for the troubles. I'll let developers know about it so they could investigate that.

As for the "saving issue". There was a bug of that kind back in the past but it should not be there anymore. I would appreciate it very much if you could start a separate ticket about that as this way we could better track information and could report that again to developers if needed.

Kind regards,
    Adam