no backend admin access to site

I get the following error when I navigate to my site: http://sandnet.dmtez.com/wp-admin/ - all alone on a blank page.

Notice: Indirect modification of overloaded element of WP_Hook has no effect in /home/markj327/public_html/sites/sandnet/wp-content/plugins/snapshot/lib/WPMUDEV/Dashboard/wpmudev-dash-notification.php on line 58

I haven't been to this site for a couple of weeks, and then this pops up. What to check to troubleshoot?

FOLLOW UP: I disable WP_DEBUG switches in wp-config.php to remedy this. Seems to be generated by your code... can you tell me what caused this notice to prevent the site from loading? Recent WP 4.7 update maybe?

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Mark,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

This notice shouldn't affect performance of the site in any way and especially it shouldn't be breaking it. You are right about 4.7 update and it's related to some changes but even then that should not get the site down.

The blank screen is often caused by simple memory issue so I'd start with the basics and that would be raising memory limit for WordPress. Could you please that there's a line in your "wp-config.php" file that says:

define('WP_MEMORY_LIMIT','256M');

I'd suggest the value of 256M or even more so if the line is not there, just add it please and if it is already there make sure that it gives at least 256M of memory limit. The line should be located above the "/* That's all... */ line.

The next step, in case this one didn't help, would be to check against plugins compatibility. The way to do this is:

1. access the server (you site WP install) via FTP
    2. go to the "/wp-content" folder
    3. rename "plugins" folder to "plugins_off"

At this point you should be able to access your site's backend and if you can do this, go to the "Plugins" page and you should see the message that all plugins had been deactivated. Then

4. rename "plugins_off" folder back to "plugins"
    5. start enabling plugins via "Plugins -> All plugins" page again one by one. At some point the site should break again and this would show which of the plugins is causing that.

Could you give that a try please? Let me know about the result.

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.