"No going back" on course content (mandatory questions prevent material review)

Hi again,

Well, I'll present this like a user story/use case:

1. Test Student registers and enrols on Course A
2. Starts learning by opening up the Dashboard and clicking on the first module.
3. Reads the first pages containing the material to be learnt and tested
4. Gets to the review page, where mandatory questions are asked in order to continue.
5. Starts work on the answers but has to stop, so clicks on "Save progress and exit"
6. Comes back another day, logs in and clicks "continue learning" and then "Unit 1"
7. Is taken to the Review page where he can continue answering the questions.
8. It's been a few days since he studied the course so he wishes to review the material. He scrolls down to the bottom of the page and click on an earlier page number but is told that <<All questions marked with "* Mandatory" require your input.>>
9. Test Student thinks this is not logical or fair, is frustrated and submits a support ticket...
10. Course manager is helpless to do anything and submits a ticket to WPMU Dev...

Ok, I had to make it to 10 so I've played it out a little, all in good humour :wink:

The point is that mandatory questions should prevent people accessing the next page/unit, not going BACK to review previous material.

This is quite a major issue, so I would appreciate a response from the development team on this one.

Thanks!
Arthur

• Adam Czajczyk

Hey Arthur,

I hope you're having a great day!

Ok, I had to make it to 10 so I've played it out a little, all in good humour :wink:

There's nothing like a good ol' "top 10" list :slight_smile:

I've checked this on my own test setup and although this is indeed an issue, there's a workaround. When you edit the unit's content you may disable the "Limit attempts" option for mandatory parts or set it to a value higher than 1. This way students should be able to go back before giving a final answer.

That said, I can see you point here so I'm moving this to our "Features and Feedback" forum and hopefully some other members of our community will support the idea, thus giving the development team an incentive to include this feature in one of future releases.

If you have any further questions on this, please ask. I'll be glad to help! Let me know if the trick worked for you, also!

Cheers,
    Adam

• Arthur

Hi Adam,

Thanks for your suggestion. For the record, I had already set the limit attempts to 3 as my goal is to help as many people pass and qualify (more better-trained people in the world!) so this itself doesn't appear to allow the student to go back.

I had also tried removing the Unit setting at the top of "User needs to answer all mandatory assessments and view all pages in order to access the next unit". In fact there was only one question with an active limit (I actually forgot to tick the boxes despite changing the number of attempts!)

So yes, I think this is a feature request, and an important one, because while it's natural to make people answer the questions, it's not fair to expect them to remember everything! The material is there for reference - it's not a memory test, but an interpretation/comprehension test.

Thinking further about this for anyone waiting for this feature, there are probably other temporary workarounds. One is to disable mandatory questions but not pass the student until they have satisfactorily filled in the unit. This is a reasonably acceptable solution, though does render the whole "mandatory question" functionality (an excellent feature) redundant.

The other is to have the contents available as a downloadable PDF for offline reference. This too, is not a bad idea, so these problems can often lead to ways of making the end product even better.

I maintain my vigorous defence of the need to be able to go back and not forward, but at least I've found possible ways to get by while I'm waiting for the good folk to build it!

Thanks again!
    Arthur

• Adam Czajczyk

Hey Arthur,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your valuable feedback!

Thinking further about this for anyone waiting for this feature, there are probably other temporary workarounds. One is to disable mandatory questions but not pass the student until they have satisfactorily filled in the unit. This is a reasonably acceptable solution, though does render the whole "mandatory question" functionality (an excellent feature) redundant.

Yes, this is a possible workaround, however - as you noticed - this would make "mandatory question" redundant, therefore this does not apply to every case.

The other is to have the contents available as a downloadable PDF for offline reference. This too, is not a bad idea, so these problems can often lead to ways of making the end product even better.

This is a great idea, even apart from the issue in question. I can tell from my own experience that having reference material like this is always very handy as you may get back to it anytime you need, regardless of whether you're still a member of the e-learning site.

I maintain my vigorous defence of the need to be able to go back and not forward, but at least I've found possible ways to get by while I'm waiting for the good folk to build it!

It's great that we've managed to find a workaround here. Let's then hope that other members of the community will support the idea of this useful feature :slight_smile:

Have a great day!
    Adam

• Arthur

Thanks for the comments, Adam, and I certainly agree with you on the value of having reference material, especially a copy of the material you've paid for. I hadn't thought of that and while the intention would be to leave access open to those who have paid, technology changes fast while wisdom is eternal...

I think I've found an optimum solution (for me, anyway) while we await the back function:

1. Have the reference material downloadable.
    2. Leave the individual questions non-mandatory, but tick the top box in the Unit Settings area: "User needs to answer all mandatory assessments and view all pages in order to access the next unit".

That way, all the material from the unit is accessible for the purposes of doing the evaluation questions/exercises, but you still have to answer all the questions before going on to the next unit. I might also put a "pass" requirement too, as this will ensure better performance in the subsequent units (one of the purposes of having mandatory questions).

Cheers!
    Arthur

• Adam Czajczyk

Hey Arthur,

I hope you're doing fine!

technology changes fast while wisdom is eternal...

These are the words of a Wise Man. Thank you for that!

I've just realised that from the last page you can't go back, so same issue as before. But for the current course it's ok,

Nice that it works for you at the moment. That said, let's hope that some other members will support your original idea then and our developers will come up with a built-in solution in one of the future releases!

Have a great day!
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.